Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

LIMBO KING posted:

The undead faction arc:

Welp, I guess I can continue to ignore those assholes.

I have to admit that I got pretty :stonk: on some of the endings to the princess arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Giant Bomb Quick Look: Divinity - Dragon Commander

On the Strategy map, I would recommend building a mix of units to counter your opponents units, or units you want to bring into a battle. If you see your opponent with a lot of Battle Forge units, build Hunters or Devastators. If you see Hunters, build Armours. If you see Armours, build Grenadiers, Troopers, Warlocks... that kind of thing.

Lar_q posted:

There's a couple of things we're doing on the custom campaigns - if all goes well, there will be a patch live on Steam soon which allows you to modify the rules of the custom campaign, and it will be propagated soon to GOG. Then we'll have an update for the strategy AI which will make it a lot better. And finally, we'll release new custom campaign maps. All coming in the very near future once we finished testing it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 9, 2013

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

To those who were bugged by the HAL9000 bug, it's fixed in Patch 1.0.27

quote:

We've uploaded a patch for the Vault version. Log in and go to "Your Games" you'll find the patch is in the download list.

- Fixed "Cannot execute order"-spam bug
- Added advanced game options to custom campaign
- Fixed some savegame compatibilty problems
- Fixed problem where UPNP discovery could hang on some configurations

This patch will also come available on GOG and will fix the savegame issues and "hanging in the Raven" that was reported. The savegames can now be loaded and are backwards compatible.

Just downloaded on Steam for me. Their patching schedule so far has been pretty impressive--I think it's at least been a patch a day since release. They're really enjoying the freedom to patch as much and as often as they want.

Just makes me glad to have the Steam version right now. DRM-free is good for future-proof but when a game gets updated daily, Steam's kinda nice to have.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone else having problems with starting combat now? I tried the game again just now and the pre battle select general/play cards screen wont respond but the other buttons to show the map and minimise the loadout screen still work.

Edit: bunch of people on the steam forums having the same issue. Patch broke the game.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 9, 2013

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Guess the DRM-free version is looking better now. Take that, Steam fanboy Djeser :smug:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

King Doom posted:

Anyone else having problems with starting combat now? I tried the game again just now and the pre battle select general/play cards screen wont respond but the other buttons to show the map and minimise the loadout screen still work.

Edit: bunch of people on the steam forums having the same issue. Patch broke the game.

Same here. It only happens on some lands. Guess we have to wait for a patch to fix the patch.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Same here. It only happens on some lands. Guess we have to wait for a patch to fix the patch.

They've just put out a reverse patch to roll back to 1.20 temporarily while they figure out what went wrong. You may need to restart Steam if it didn't download.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sounds like you squandered the early game when you should be mobilizing a poo poo load of troops on the world map and blitzing everything in sight.

The more provinces you let the enemy hold, the more of a gold advantage he has, the more troops he can muster. You can't just play defensive and let the enemy sit on the whole map or you will be ground to dust.

I actually tried to take as much as i could in the early game(since that's generally the go to way to win in any risk type game), and I've had more land then the opponent has had for most of the game, but I'm still always super outnumbered. I'm also actually slowly winning without any real loss in sight, but that's just because I'm guaranteed one win a day even at 0 % chance victory by abusing dragon more then anything else.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goldjas posted:

I actually tried to take as much as i could in the early game(since that's generally the go to way to win in any risk type game), and I've had more land then the opponent has had for most of the game, but I'm still always super outnumbered. I'm also actually slowly winning without any real loss in sight, but that's just because I'm guaranteed one win a day even at 0 % chance victory by abusing dragon more then anything else.

Are you building a lot of buildings? Remember to plop your War Factories on turf with a lot of income, since the income of its territory determines how many units it can make per turn.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are you building a lot of buildings? Remember to plop your War Factories on turf with a lot of income, since the income of its territory determines how many units it can make per turn.

Well, I just finally beat the first chapter, after I got to a certain point and owned enough stuff I just straight up had so many troops I could risk fight every battle and win.

Also is it mostly true that the only card producing building worth it is the mercenary one, or am i missing something?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DrManiac posted:

Welp, I guess I can continue to ignore those assholes.

I have to admit that I got pretty :stonk: on some of the endings to the princess arcs.

Well don't just tease, spill. Tell us of the horrors.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goldjas posted:

Well, I just finally beat the first chapter, after I got to a certain point and owned enough stuff I just straight up had so many troops I could risk fight every battle and win.

Also is it mostly true that the only card producing building worth it is the mercenary one, or am i missing something?

Wizard Towers are hot garbage. They only give you dragon cards, which can be powers you already have and are worthless once you've gotten any decent amount of research done. Academies are ok because of the one research point, I guess. Parliments can be worth it on occasion, but their cards are situational. If you're autoresolving often, and you should be expanding enough that you are, mercenary cards are your best friend. Each one tends to be a 10-20 percent bonus to your chance to win, and they act as a bit of a meat shield to lower the chances of losing units that you built permanently.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

goldjas posted:

Academies give you a bonus research point, and the unit buff/debuff cards can be really important in an RTS match, as anyone who's ever had a -75% Shaman Movement speed card land on them can attest.

Parliaments can give you cards to build/destroy buildings, which is useful given the high price of erecting one. They're the only way to get the Emporium built in single-player, which has a stock of potentially really incredible cards. Wizard Towers are worthless. If you capture one, sell it. If you get a free card to build one, play it and sell it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Well don't just tease, spill. Tell us of the horrors.

Well in short

Lizard Princess

If you choose certain options basically becomes Judge Dredd (Speeches about how she is the law and all). If you talk to her after her arc is done she fondly waxes about how she sentences a dude to death for killing someone who broke into his house and raped and killed his daughter.

Skeleton Princess

Her whole series of quest is basically killing/experimenting on things to get her a new body. You eventually kill an innocent random beautiful girl or make her a robot body (which is eventually covered in Frankenstein like patches of 'donor' lady skin

Dwarf Princess

Makes you financially ruin her father by releasing the dirt he has on powerful people, then makes you assassinate him, finally asks you to feed his corpse to some pigs after she steals his throne

I'm kinda scared to see Elf Princess' bad end. She seems so nice :ohdear:

[e] Add me to the gently caress Wizard Tower train. I really want to use those mediocre powers that I didn't even bother to spend the 5 points on for one battle. All I need is a bunch of pubs, gold mines, and a few academies. 4-5 mercs every few turns? :getin:

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 10, 2013

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

DrManiac posted:

I'm completely unwilling to get Lohanna's bad ending. One, it would probably make Oberon happy and I simply cannot let that happen. Two, she's pretty cool in her happy ending and I don't want to mess with that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

I'm completely unwilling to get Lohanna's bad ending. One, it would probably make Oberon happy and I simply cannot let that happen. Two, she's pretty cool in her happy ending and I don't want to mess with that.

Judging by the cheevo descriptions and names, I'm pretty sure the Lohanna bad end is just to steer her down a path of decadence and hedonism.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The "good ending" for the Dwarf Princess's story was nice at least. Haven't seen the others yet. I'm definitely going to try and get a bunch of these endings (I didn't mouse-over any of the spoilers), especially Lohanna's. I did a couple turns of a custom campaign with her and picked a couple different options than I did for my current story campaign with her, and not only do I like her more that way, but Oberon's VA is hilarious when he's angry.

I have come up with a couple of ideas to make Wizard Towers more interesting.

A) Turn Wizard Towers into shops for Dragon Skills.
They could remove the "random card every 3 turns" functionality and have the Wizard Towers serve as some kind of shop, with a random selection of 8 Dragon Dragon skills, so you could buy skills you wanted. Maybe the price should be lower, though, since some skills are not worth up to 15 gold a turn. Maybe 2 Gold per Tier level (up to 8 gold per Tier 4 card). This will let players decide whether to spend research points on mastering a skill, or buy it with gold and save their research points for units.

B) Add an additional Function to the Wizard Tower
Keep the existing functionality of the Wizard Tower as is, but add a "Transmute Cards" function to it, that lets you transmute 3-5 cards for a single other random card, which could be anything, even stuff from the Emporium. That would solve the useless card situation, and the useless building situation, and add an element of gambling to the Wizard Tower, which can be addicting. Maybe a fee of 3 gold per transmutation?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Well now I'm sold on the dwarf princess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

B) Add an additional Function to the Wizard Tower
Keep the existing functionality of the Wizard Tower as is, but add a "Transmute Cards" function to it, that lets you transmute 3-5 cards for a single other random card, which could be anything, even stuff from the Emporium. That would solve the useless card situation, and the useless building situation, and add an element of gambling to the Wizard Tower, which can be addicting. Maybe a fee of 3 gold per transmutation?

B would actually be pretty awesome. Great way to dump those "transport mercenaries" cards, too. Those are the worst.

EDIT:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Academies give you a bonus research point, and the unit buff/debuff cards can be really important in an RTS match, as anyone who's ever had a -75% Shaman Movement speed card land on them can attest.

It's weird how little they effect autoresolve, though. Even when an opposing army is like, 75 percent of whatever unit type I'm debuffing with the card, it'll only boost my chances by 1-2 percent.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 10, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Wow. Going into Chapter 3 they really give the enemy a whole bunch more little guys than you right up front. Huh. I'm not complaining but jesus they are out for your blood from the get go. They have so many giant battleboats.

Also, The skeleton queen (so far) seems really cliched and uninspired and boring. I hope she does something more than say "Oh, I took a wonderful walk today" during this last chapter. :sigh: I should have gotten the lizard queen and seen what politicking she would have tried to do.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Judging by the cheevo descriptions and names, I'm pretty sure the Lohanna bad end is just to steer her down a path of decadence and hedonism.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's her good ending

(slight detail)
It's less "steer her down a path of decadence and hedonism" and more getting her to break traditions she used to follow blindly, along with getting her to be less reactionary when it comes to environmentalism. In short, becoming more independent and learning that Oberon sucks.

Not sure I've hit the end yet, but I have triggered an outfit change.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Unoriginal One posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's her good ending

(slight detail)
It's less "steer her down a path of decadence and hedonism" and more getting her to break traditions she used to follow blindly, along with getting her to be less reactionary when it comes to environmentalism. In short, becoming more independent and learning that Oberon sucks.

Not sure I've hit the end yet, but I have triggered an outfit change.

All I know is

There's a cheevo for getting your wife to sleep with a stranger :v:

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Skeleton Princess

Her whole series of quest is basically killing/experimenting on things to get her a new body. You eventually kill an innocent random beautiful girl or make her a robot body (which is eventually covered in Frankenstein like patches of 'donor' lady skin

Little addendum for everyone's favorite undead princess possible ending: she really really really fears death, so if you let her do what she wants, she eventually does the proverbial deal with the devil and becomes an eternal flippin' vampire. So you get to rule together forever.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

All I know is

I still don't know who that applies to and I'm scared to find out personally.

edit: Maybe it has to do with manipulating her/whichever with Corvus? I'm not going down there again so I'm never going to find out first hand.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

My undead princess ended up becoming a golden robot that all the undead practically worshiped, no Frankenstein patches of skin here.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

DrManiac posted:

I thought her "bad" end was actually pretty hilarious. :v:

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
An interesting thing I discovered today was you can dodge homing projectiles fired at your dragon if you wait until just before they hit you and dodge suddenly to the left or right holding the right mouse button. They will fly past and lose their lock on you instead of chasing you all across the map.

A shame so many cool little features like that are undocumented.

Calihan fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 10, 2013

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Calihan posted:

An interesting thing I discovered today was you can dodge homing projectiles fired at your dragon if you wait until just before they hit you and dodge suddenly to the left or right holding the right mouse button. They will fly past and lose their lock on you instead of chasing you all across the map.

A shame so many cool little features like that are undocumented.

Isn't that the point of dodge though? :confused: I mean, that's how I've always used it.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Djeser posted:

Isn't that the point of dodge though? :confused: I mean, that's how I've always used it.
Yeah, this is even mentioned in the tutorial.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, this is even mentioned in the tutorial.

I don't recall it mentioning anything about breaking lock on homing projectiles. I could be wrong though.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Calihan posted:

I don't recall it mentioning anything about breaking lock on homing projectiles. I could be wrong though.

I didn't know there was anything different about projectiles. I think most anti-air projectiles do home in on you, and that's why you have to use the dodge and can't just fly off to the side.

I just checked the manual to make sure I hadn't imagined:

quote:

To dodge certain incoming projectiles that are aimed at your dragon, press right-click while strafing in a certain direction to perform a dodge move. This is especially useful for dragon versus dragon fights – keep in mind this uses the same fuel as the jetpack boost!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Pretty confident that any projectile fired at your Dragon tracks, just fyi.

E;fb.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

All I know is

This achievement is for the undead wife (I assume, at least). If you avoid having her get a robot body or steal the body of an innocent woman, she finds out about a mage who can create a real human body for her by using a magic painting. The problem is that in payment he requires either a "kingdom's worth of gold" or the right to sleep with her first after the body is created. If I remember correctly it deducts 20 gold from your treasury on the next turn if you tell her not to sleep with him, but you don't get to know the exact cost beforehand.

I guess that counts as the good ending?

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 10, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

AG3 posted:

This achievement is for the undead wife (I assume, at least). If you avoid having her get a robot body or steal the body of an innocent woman, she finds out about a mage who can create a real human body for her by using a magic painting. The problem is that in payment he requires either a "kingdom's worth of gold" or the right to sleep with her first after the body is created. If I remember correctly it deducts 20 gold from your treasury on the next turn if you tell her not to sleep with him, but you don't get to know the exact cost beforehand.

I guess that counts as the good ending?

Yeah, that's the good one. I didn't even notice the payment though by the time it came up.

NET WT 30 OZ
Apr 12, 2003

YES
So is it a good idea to save up research and gold for when you start chapter 2 and get onto the bigger map? It seems like all my units disappeared after finishing that first little island.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
You're capped at 50 gold and 30 research for the first island, so there's not much to save. It is a good idea to research everything you can though, and save up some mercenary cards as well.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Definitely research and possibly upgrade ironclads before finishing off the act 1 enemy. Imp fighters and their ground attack upgrade help dominating the open ocean as well, but they're pretty expensive to research at that stage and you won't have gold to buy them in numbers for a good while in act 2 either.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think my hardest Act 2 so far is when the AI decided to research straight up to goblih fighters and start out by building 7 of them on the red island.

That was a pretty rough start.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, if you are worried and want to grind for Chapter 2, the best way to do it would be to buy all the available research ( it carries over ), then build Merc Camps on every piece of land you own, and just wait for a couple months while you gather up cards.

You'll hit Act 2 with 40 Research, which you can use to grab the Juggernaut, then immediately turn around and build 2-3 of those. Send all transports back to your home island, separate up the Troopers, then send the transports along safe routes ( not directly, red will fight you on open sea ) to capture the nearby islands/the two sections of the main island with War Factories.

I then just built a hell of a lot of Armour/Devastators, and pushed North, while I allowed Green to cap the rest of the South. Once you get married, use the Dowry to buy another 2-3 Juggernauts.

At that point, send your Juggernauts down to where Green is situated, and pop all your best Merc cards ( Devestators/Armour/whatever ). Move your mercs to one of the side islands that has a cappable structure on it, build whatever it is, then just have them sit there. They should be able to kill any transports Green sends to kill it. With that done, move the Juggernauts down the side of the map to the Capital, and have them bombard it from a distance.

Once her base is dead, you get all the green lands, and can push in and kill Yellow. Once he's done, just grab everything on the map, lock Red into his island, and slowly finish upgrading everything prior to Act 3.

This is the only way I can think of to beat Act 2. They really really need to adjust the difficulty of Act 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Unless people are playing on harder than normal difficulty Act II looks harder than it is.

There's a really good neutral island just south of the one you start on and you can use that to move onto the main continent and take a few of the neutral southern countries. As long as you keep a decent army at your home base the Red island pretty much leaves you alone until you're ready to deal with it.

• Locked thread