Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Geez, I could have sworn Brock lost that one time to Mir, then they fought again and Brock left Mir's face looking like a cuisinart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Real fighting my foot! UFC is bullshit because you never see one guy screaming like a child, desperately clawing at his opponent's eyes in fear while hoping the police show up and

I'm pretty sure I have seen this in one of the early UFCs, just saying.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

That entire bit in ECW was pretty brilliant. Sci-Fi Channel demanded more supernatural type wrestlers. So you get The Zombie, and then you get Sandman murdering The Zombie, but not before he cut a minute long promo that consisted of making zombie noises into the mic.

And we almost got instead

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What exactly was the on-screen formation of the nWo Wolfpack all about? I've never seen any history devote any time to it. Nash just kinda ends up in red, with Sting(Why would Sting join ANY nWo group?), Macho Man(He was the first Wolfpack recruit, right?), Konnan(Why the gently caress would Konnan join an nWo group?) and Luger as members.

Like I asked, why would Sting join? What was Konnan doing before the Wolfpack formation that would make him get invited into it? Macho and Luger I get, though.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

rotinaj posted:

What was Konnan doing before the Wolfpack formation that would make him get invited into it? Macho and Luger I get, though.

Konnan was in the original nWo. Hell, he played Mongo in the nWo Horsemen skit.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Wolfpack started due to tension between Hogan and Nash (although the real tension was always between Hogan and Savage). Nash got fed up of being number 2 to Hogan and broke away with fellow NWO member Konnan who was his little buddy and started to feud with the black and whites. Over time WCW roster members joined the Wolfpack just because they were getting wins, Sting for example joined because he ended up winning the tag titles.

Honestly I have no idea why it was Nash who broke away from the black and whites, seeing as the entire build was to a split between Hogan and Savage.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Okay, then i guess one of my questions goes back further. Was there any special reason that Konnan was recruited into the nWo, or was it just a thing like how they were recruiting everyone?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SiKboy posted:

I'm pretty sure I have seen this in one of the early UFCs, just saying.

Jon Hess vs Andy Anderson. And, on the subject of banned kung-fu moves that would totally beat Brock Lesnar in a streetfight

Fat Twitter Man fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 10, 2013

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

rotinaj posted:

What exactly was the on-screen formation of the nWo Wolfpack all about? I've never seen any history devote any time to it. Nash just kinda ends up in red, with Sting(Why would Sting join ANY nWo group?), Macho Man(He was the first Wolfpack recruit, right?), Konnan(Why the gently caress would Konnan join an nWo group?) and Luger as members.

Like I asked, why would Sting join? What was Konnan doing before the Wolfpack formation that would make him get invited into it? Macho and Luger I get, though.

It began with animosity between Hogan and Nash/Savage with them realizing Hogan was only looking out for himself (shocking!) and not the nWo. Spring Stampede 98 is where the split began to take shape. Hogan/Nash were in a tag match vs Piper/The Giant and after the match Hogan attacked Nash. Later that night Nash came out to help Savage defeat Sting for the WCW title which led up to Savage/Hogan the following night on Nitro after Hogan claimed Savage had HIS title. More shenanigans ensued (:wcw:) with the end result being Hogan defeating fellow nWo member Savage with the help of Bret Hart and nWo members after Nash was unable to help Savage by himself. This meant that some members would now have to pick a side, Hogan or Nash.

The following Nitro, Nash, Savage and Konnan all came out sporting the red and black nWo shirts calling themselves the Wolfpac. I recall the reason for Konnan joining is that he was Nash's "little buddy" or something and it was pretty much left at that. Luger joined because he said it "just feels right" and Sting felt like he had an ultimatum to pick a side after his tag team partner The Giant joined nWo Hollywood for retribution on Nash for injuring him earlier in the year. The Giant kept his alliance with Sting and they won the tag titles vs. the Outsiders after Hall turned on Nash. It was implied that Luger swayed Sting into joining the red and black after Sting swerved Hogan taking off his jacket to reveal an nWo black and white shirt only to then attack Hogan and slam his partner The Giant and rip that shirt off to reveal the black and red thus joining the group consisting of Nash and Savage who cost him the WCW title just a month earlier but whatever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Konnan was in the Wolfpac to help all the 40 year olds seem less white.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

rotinaj posted:

Was there any special reason that Konnan was recruited into the nWo, or was it just a thing like how they were recruiting everyone?

He joined after the recruitement drive had finished, following an angle in which he broke Rey's leg and made eyecontact with Kevin Nash. The next week he just showed up with the NWO and was from then on a member.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Konnan was rowdy rowdy and bout it bout it.

Or was it bout it bout it and rowdy rowdy? I try to format most of the information in my brain regarding the dying years of WCW.

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Konnan was in the Wolfpac to help all the 40 year olds seem less white.

Which is why Hogan insisted that Hall stayed with the black and white, according to Nash.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

Which is why Hogan insisted that Hall stayed with the black and white, according to Nash.

Hogan's Jncos were enough to keep the black and white hip.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

nasboat posted:

Konnan was in the original nWo. Hell, he played Mongo in the nWo Horsemen skit.

I'm also surprised he hasn't blamed that one on racism in a shoot he no-showed.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan's Jncos were enough to keep the black and white hip.

Truly, the Hulkster has always been the epitome of hip and cool. :c00lbert:

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Hoagie sighed as he drew his katana...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what is the grossest lariat ever

post video

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

John Cena posted:

post video

I imagine it's got to be from one of the snuff videos that Dr. Death and Kobashi made back during the early 90s.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

John Cena posted:

post video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEOCuHTfeQI

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

drat. Somehow the impact comes across more in the slow motion version, too.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Is it me or does Hogan look short in that photo?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ColeM posted:

I thought the opposite

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AKMoose posted:

drat. Somehow the impact comes across more in the slow motion version, too.

I rather like this one.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

ColeM posted:

That photo always makes me think that someone just photoshopped Hogan's upper body onto some shorter dude's legs. :v:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hirams Bitch posted:

In a way for some of them it kind of works as an ad for the full DVD since you only get the documentary part with small clips of matches, while the DVD has full matches. Maybe.

They've been putting the whole sets up there for like a year now but they're far enough after release that anyone who was going to but the disc likely would've done so already.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

John Cena posted:

post video
Here's one from Riki Choshu to Katsuyori Shibata at 1:11... pay attention to the landing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjH5gu73rog

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Why would a street fight favor Meng more? He's still going to be held down and beaten up by a wrestler. "OH BUT HE COULD BITE YOU." So could Brock. He can also headbutt and well, just beat the poo poo out of you while you lay on your back chomping at air. The rules exist to keep people from killing each other. Do you think that if you suddenly take away the rules that these guys would be at a disadvantage? Tell that to the group of dudes Hendo and Couture beat the poo poo out of in a street fight.

Dan Severn was older than Meng when he fought in UFC. Meng may have had a long wrestling career, but Severn had an incredibly long, grueling amateur career on top of a professional career. The early UFCs were full of dudes in their 30s and 40s who had been doing other stuff, including pro wrestling. He didn't enter any UFCs because he knew any trained fighters with ground experience would humiliate him.
Just adding that one of the first things that I learned in my very brief time learning BJJ was to never try and cheat your way to escaping the bottom: because the other guy could cheat even better from the top.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chortles posted:

Just adding that one of the first things that I learned in my very brief time learning BJJ was to never try and cheat your way to escaping the bottom: because the other guy could cheat even better from the top.

You got a nipple bitten off :(

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
I sat down to watch Survivor Series 2001 with a friend last week (reliving the Invasion angle) and remembered something I wanted to ask the board: at the tail end of the Invasion angle, there was a disabled wrestler who came in on a wheelchair to give a pep talk to The WWF side, and in the speech, the man stood up out of his wheelchair - which left both the wrestlers in awe and the message boards I was in saying, "HOLY poo poo HE CAN STAND AND WALK!?"

Who was this man, and was his injury legit or kayfabe? I don't think it was Droz, cause I remember this man being much older.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
It was Classy Freddie Blassie. One of the greatest wrestling personalities of all time.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Amy Renee posted:

I sat down to watch Survivor Series 2001 with a friend last week (reliving the Invasion angle) and remembered something I wanted to ask the board: at the tail end of the Invasion angle, there was a disabled wrestler who came in on a wheelchair to give a pep talk to The WWF side, and in the speech, the man stood up out of his wheelchair - which left both the wrestlers in awe and the message boards I was in saying, "HOLY poo poo HE CAN STAND AND WALK!?"

Who was this man, and was his injury legit or kayfabe? I don't think it was Droz, cause I remember this man being much older.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Blassie

E:fb

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JK! posted:

It was Classy Freddie Blassie. One of the greatest wrestling personalities of all time.

And had one of the best voices ever.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 11, 2013

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Amy Renee posted:

As others have said before, it's Freddie Blassie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htSRqf-KxbA

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Amy Renee posted:

Who else could it be, you pencil necked geek??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNM4atakanI

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Whats the story of Owen going back to the Blue Blazer gimmick? Was this a type of demotion after injuring Austin?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

omgomgomg posted:

Whats the story of Owen going back to the Blue Blazer gimmick? Was this a type of demotion after injuring Austin?

He refused to do an angle where he slept with Debra

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Who is considered to be the most dangerous guy to work with who still managed to be successful and get a continued push? To elaborate, I mean stiff, sloppy work that gets other guys injured. Based on what seems to be the sheer volume of stories about him, I'd assume Vader. I'm curious if there's anyone else who falls in the same category.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Who is considered to be the most dangerous guy to work with who still managed to be successful and get a continued push? To elaborate, I mean stiff, sloppy work that gets other guys injured. Based on what seems to be the sheer volume of stories about him, I'd assume Vader. I'm curious if there's anyone else who falls in the same category.

Rey Mysterio injures everyone with his knee brace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Goldberg would be up there