Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

adamarama posted:

About halfway through Act II and I'm really enjoying it so far. The mechanics are a little unclear though:

What do the stars on units mean? Sometimes I seem to have them, other times I don't.

How do you know how productive a province will be? Some provinces, I build a factory and it can produce three units, other provinces it's just one.

The enemy seems to be able to capture my building but I don't think I can capture theirs. I always have to destroy and rebuild. Am I missing something?

1. I don't know this one. Maybe it marks the prebuilt units you start the battle with?
2. It's based on how much wealth the province generates (which is written on the map itself)
3. It's a trooper ability called spoils of war that has to be manually activated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

adamarama posted:

What do the stars on units mean? Sometimes I seem to have them, other times I don't.

Upgrades. If you've gotten a hunter upgrade, all your hunters will have a star dealie.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You know what I'd like, should there be an expansion or something? Airborne Juggernauts capable of attacking land and sea. Has Larian said anything about modding support or expansions and such?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CommissarMega posted:

You know what I'd like, should there be an expansion or something? Airborne Juggernauts capable of attacking land and sea. Has Larian said anything about modding support or expansions and such?

But there are already a lot of air balloons and imp fighters that are pretty powerful and can do both land and sea, and Juggernauts CAN shoot a decent ways onto land - and their atomic bomb skill is pretty drat powerful.

What I'd like to see is a way to somewhat automate the special skills of the troops. I know you can highlight a group and, if they are the same, select the skill listed multiple times so it'll cycle through, but that's still waaaaay too micromanagy.

And all the single unit buffs should be changed to aoe of a few hundred meters.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 11, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just finished the game. Act III was a little anti-climactic for me, since I was able to finish it in less than three hours. Without even intending to exploit the system, I started out with 500 gold and every unit upgrade researched. This contrasts with the beginning of Act II, where I really struggled to survive. If there's an anti-farming mechanic, I definitely didn't encounter it. I know they're going for continuity, but I think it would be better if they just capped your gold and research points, and kept the highest research tier off-limits.

Still a great game, though. Will be even beter once Devastators stop flipping out in every RTS battle. What's impossible?! I didn't even give you any orders you stupid fuckers, stop messing up my framerate.

Drifter posted:

What I'd like to see is a way to somewhat automate the special skills of the troops. I know you can highlight a group and, if they are the same, select the skill listed multiple times so it'll cycle through, but that's still waaaaay too micromanagy.

That would be nice. If I have to be honest, I didn't bother micromanaging my units at all. I just made a bunch of troops and sent them to the enemy while buffing them and taking out enemy units with my dragon. Seemed to work most of the time, but then again I was playing on Easy.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 11, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

Yeah with the pacing of the game a lot of these skills need to be automated (especially shaman heals.)

EDIT: \/ Are they? Still, it leaves the fact that a lot of the other skills need to be automated or at least a lot easier to access (like dumping all of the skills of the selected unit group onto the key grid or a toolbar.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 11, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think heals are being cast automatically (it's basically shamans' autoattack) but everything else isn't.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Just finished the game. Act III was a little anti-climactic for me, since I was able to finish it in less than three hours. Without even intending to exploit the system, I started out with 500 gold and every unit upgrade researched. This contrasts with the beginning of Act II, where I really struggled to survive. If there's an anti-farming mechanic, I definitely didn't encounter it. I know they're going for continuity, but I think it would be better if they just capped your gold and research points, and kept the highest research tier off-limits.

Still a great game, though. Will be even beter once Devastators stop flipping out in every RTS battle. What's impossible?! I didn't even give you any orders you stupid fuckers, stop messing up my framerate.

That would be nice. If I have to be honest, I didn't bother micromanaging my units at all. I just made a bunch of troops and sent them to the enemy while buffing them and taking out enemy units with my dragon. Seemed to work most of the time, but then again I was playing on Easy.

The anti farming mechanic was a limiter on how much gold and tech you could have at one time, and at least for chapter one, the fact that entire tiers of upgrades were locked off. After that, it was everything for the taking...I wonder how it would have been to have, from chapter 2 and beyond, tech and gold given not per turn, but per enemy unit destroyed (map units, not rts units) and country taken. After you get the only skills that matter in Dragon form (the fuckoff Eye Fireball dude and the Paralyze anything for 13 seconds [and maybe the mass healing]) you don't really need anything else. :/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So uh, what's the cap? It was never an issue for me. Maybe they should lower it, I had about 500 gold at the end of Chapter II.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I know the research cap is 50-75 and, if you hit it, the game actually takes a few upgrades away.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In Chapter II? I'm sure I had 200 research points at one point, and I managed to research almost everything before entering Chapter III. It kind of ruins the tension when you start wrecking Corvus' poo poo almost immediately.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
For the act 1 -> 2 transition I think. I entered act 3 with like 1000 gold/research points saved up and everything researched - yeah I learned from the early act 2 fiasco, okay? :colbert:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I have to agree act III was pretty boring. It (and act 2) would have been much better if you got to actually see and talk to your insane brothers and sisters/the demon during the campaign.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrManiac posted:

I have to agree act III was pretty boring. It (and act 2) would have been much better if you got to actually see and talk to your insane brothers and sisters/the demon during the campaign.

There is some new dialogue for Corvus in Chapter 3, at least, but not being able to talk to your siblings any was kind of a pain.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There is some new dialogue for Corvus in Chapter 3, at least, but not being able to talk to your siblings any was kind of a pain.

Yeah I really wish they'd been given more character than just being mostly colors on a board.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Phlegmish posted:

No, she's a massive hypocrite. It would be fine if she was either consistently egalitarian or consistently sexist, but that's not the case. She's only 'angry' with the way things are in the DC world because it's a reversal of the supposed natural order where women are on top, and she states several times that men were seen as fit for nothing more than menial labor in her kingdom. She's not a good or reasonable person by any interpretation, and it's a bit frustrating that you can't really call her out on it - and that you let the NPC characters in general walk all over you.

Yes, Catherine's a hypocrite when she goes on about equality between races and then turns around and starts bashing men. It's because, by this point, she expects nothing more out of men than the worst. This isn't a way to justify her actions, I'm merely explaining them. Because almost everyone in this game is a hypocrite and/or a liar in some way. Not all of these reasons are of the same weight in my mind but they're all there. The only person you can talk to that doesn't fall under this category is the imp dude in the boiler room, seeing as how he exists to explain the game mechanic of unit upgrades. You know who is probably the most consistent character? Yorick. Blegh.

So I'm not trying to say that Catherine is some great moral paragon. But she lives in a world where, at least in the beginning, even the women generals serving directly beneath you are paid less than the men, Undead women don't have the right to vote, and a father can force his 12 year old daughter to marry a senior citizen if he so chooses and she is furious about it.

I think she's very interesting and makes the game better. I enjoy talking to most of the characters. Except Yorick, who is terrible, but not as bad as Oberon, who is the worst.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm playing a Zephyr Dragon and I'm finding myself swapping out skills a lot more than I did as the Mountain. A fun thing to do is to take out an enemy base by supporting just 2 or 3 units really closely. You can actually make a unit nearly invulnerable if you give it enough attention.

I have the impression that Larian did not intend you to be able to research everything in one game, but obviously they blew it. Probably because their internal testing had them going super-fast. Act 3 started out frantic, but the AI mostly focused on air and sea units, and actually they had very little to do in the capital.

The gold cap in Act 1 is 50, and the research cap is 30, but I managed to bypass both. If you attack the enemy capital at least once a turn, even if the attack does not succeed, you still get stuff.

At one point, I looked at the unit skills to try and see which ones would work as auto-cast skills. At the moment, that list is only about 3 skills long. I could post the writeup explaining my reasoning if people are interested.

I started to do the Undead Faction arc, just to see what it was like... holy crap. Decision 1 was pretty bad (although the achievement for approving it was hilarious), but Decision 2 is awful. I've decided right now that I will go do the rest of the undead faction arc, but then go back and reload to before starting it, because gently caress those guys.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

father can force his 12 year old daughter to marry a senior citizen if he so chooses and she is furious about it.

That's the most egregious case of hypocrisy because she herself forced her sons into political marriages and doesn't want to ban that, only the women have to have a choice. You even call her out on it when you turn her down. Despite generally espousing views I agree with, Catherine's the worst.

And I'd argue Scarlett's probably ties with Yorrick for least hypocritical character, while simultaneously being infinitely less dickish.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What is everyone's beef with Oberon? He doesn't seem too bad- sure, he can get a little prissy at times, like during Lohanna's arc, but otherwise, he seems stuck up but nice.

CottonWolf posted:

That's the most egregious case of hypocrisy because she herself forced her sons into political marriages and doesn't want to ban that, only the women have to have a choice. You even call her out on it when you turn her down. Despite generally espousing views I agree with, Catherine's the worst.

Yeah, it actually makes it even more interesting for me, and I wish I could call her out on the irony of trying to make a MAN perform the changes she wanted. That said, it would set a great example if the Emperor was willing to ban it, even if the other nobles thought he was a twit.

CottonWolf posted:

And I'd argue Scarlett's probably ties with Yorrick for least hypocritical character, while simultaneously being infinitely less dickish.

:haw: Sorry, I'm mentally twelve and I thought that was hilarious.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 11, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I really wish they'd been given more character than just being mostly colors on a board.

I'd have loved to see what Larian could have done with a Total War-esque budget, but I reckon they did pretty well with the limited resources as their disposal here.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yeah, what we got out of a smaller kickstater budget is pretty admirable. Obviously there's plenty of room for more content and improvement, but it's still pretty cool.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 11, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brainamp posted:

Yeah, what we got out of a smaller kickstater budget is pretty admirable. Obviously there's plenty of room for more content and improvement, but it's still pretty cool.

What do you mean, a kickstarter budget? This isn't D:OS.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Drifter posted:

What do you mean, a kickstarter budget? This isn't D:OS.

Yeah, mistyped and forgot to erase it.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track

CottonWolf posted:

Except, as I pointed out earlier, calling her out gets a confession out of her that she screwed up and shouldn't have done that. She does want to ban all forced political marriages. As for the focus on girls in the situation how often, Catherine's former nation aside, is a young boy given away in a political marriage? Boys tend to be the ones with the inheritance of power from the family; it's the girls who get moved around like chess pieces.

And no one's worse than Oberon.

Cotton Wolf posted:

Scarlett's pretty hypocritical with herself at the start. This is, to me, by far a much less egregious mistake than what basically everyone else does in the game.

CommissarMega posted:

What is everyone's beef with Oberon? He doesn't seem too bad- sure, he can get a little prissy at times, like during Lohanna's arc, but otherwise, he seems stuck up but nice.

If you marry Lohanna, in the throne room immediately after when you can get the reactions of the other diplomats, I believe it's Falstaff who says something to the effect of, "Oberon is two-faced and good luck with having him directly involved with your life." I didn't really get what he meant at first, and I kind of doubted Falstaff seeing as how he's far from a shining example of above-the-board deal making, but then Scarlett's arc started developing. Oberon knows the witch hunter is actively targeting, torturing, and killing gays and people he suspects/fears/sees as gay. He offers you gold to push you away from the situation and let it lie. If you let Scarlett execute the witch hunter he trips up and admits he knew what the man was doing but wanted to protect his status anyway. This from the man who claims to support gay rights in, from what I've seen, every other instance it comes up in the game and he is a conversation option. This isn't the only thing he tries to cover both sides of the coin on for his own interests but it is, to me, by far the worst. He, like Lohanna if she adheres to elf traditions, is a backroom manipulator with a calculated facade of morality. He's the closest thing to a slimeball politician in the game. He tries to shield a serial killer for the sake of protecting elf status and aristocratic superiority.

Oberon is the worst.

Gotta Wear Shades fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 11, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CommissarMega posted:

I got the feeling that people respected Maxos a lot more than they respected you, and in the beginning, it's his support that makes them rally behind you. It was also Maxos who got you the Raven as well. So what if you can turn into a dragon? Everyone and their uncle (and your sibling :v:) has access to war machines that can tear you apart pretty handily. And what if you DO go on a rampage (assuming Maxos doesn't kick your face in)? You will lose everyone's support, and those whom you don't kill have plenty of contacts to make your short remaining life miserable.

Sorry mate, but in the Dragon Commander world, you ain't poo poo bud :colbert:

Psssh by mid chapter 2 no war machine on Earth is capable of denting me, let alone tearing me apart handily :smug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Will this game be playable and/or fun for someone like me who, as a rule, sucks absolute rear end at strategy, tactics, and indeed thinking further ahead than the next fireball?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Ciaphas posted:

Will this game be playable and/or fun for someone like me who, as a rule, sucks absolute rear end at strategy, tactics, and indeed thinking further ahead than the next fireball?

I'm in the same boat and even of the lowest setting I am not having fun at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

King Doom posted:

I find this strange. Like, on Easy for example I find that the AI just flat out doesn't do anything at the start of a match. More than long enough to go out and steal a poo poo load of recruitment citadel/war factory locations and gain an unstoppable advantage. :psyduck:

You can pretty much just spam Hunters and Armors for victory.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

If you are capable enough to produce a bunch of mans you can easily play easy. Hell, once you get good enough with the dragon you can win a match without producing any extra troops if you're spec'ed out right and they don't have a super big army.

[e] This is my first multi-unit RTS btw.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Except, as I pointed out earlier, calling her out gets a confession out of her that she screwed up and shouldn't have done that. She does want to ban all forced political marriages. As for the focus on girls in the situation how often, Catherine's former nation aside, is a young boy given away in a political marriage? Boys tend to be the ones with the inheritance of power from the family; it's the girls who get moved around like chess pieces.

That's just it, her former nation aside. She didn't grow bitter from experiencing oppression firsthand, she actually comes from a very privileged position in an established matriarchy and is just mortified to find out that the 'natural order' is reversed in the DC world. The closest equivalent to her character in real life is probably a white supremacist complaining about the plaasmoorde in post-apartheid South Africa. She even uses very similar biotruthy rhetoric in order to justify her hateful ideology; men (blacks) are supposedly unfit to rule in civilized society due to their animalistic nature and inability to control their impulses. I think that's what makes her decisions interesting and frustrating at the same time; just like with the hypothetical white supremacist and the plaasmoorde, it's a serious problem that is unfortunately being brought up by a terrible person who is not really interested in equality at all. You have to choose between doing the right thing on one hand and the opportunity to spite them on the other hand.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I find this strange. Like, on Easy for example I find that the AI just flat out doesn't do anything at the start of a match. More than long enough to go out and steal a poo poo load of recruitment citadel/war factory locations and gain an unstoppable advantage. :psyduck:

You can pretty much just spam Hunters and Armors for victory.

I went into the second world on casual with every thing researched I could and max gold and research banked and I literally cannot do anything but turtle for the first six or so turns without the swarm of enemy ironclads and juggernauts obliterating any ships I have and by the time I can fight them the AI has the entire map on lockdown.

The fact it's all dwarves and undead territory doesn't help since they hate me for picking the not evil political choices and I get bugger all resources and recruits and can't build anything if I do get a factory up and running.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

King Doom posted:

I went into the second world on casual with every thing researched I could and max gold and research banked and I literally cannot do anything but turtle for the first six or so turns without the swarm of enemy ironclads and juggernauts obliterating any ships I have and by the time I can fight them the AI has the entire map on lockdown.

The fact it's all dwarves and undead territory doesn't help since they hate me for picking the not evil political choices and I get bugger all resources and recruits and can't build anything if I do get a factory up and running.

You should not need to turtle for six turns. You should roll out two Juggernaughts on turn 1, waste the Ironclads directly north of you, and while that's happening IMMEDIATELY embark, move to the Imp lands to your west, and disembark all on the same turn. Come turn two your northern waters are clear and you have a foothold in impish lands which will in turn enable the steady conquest of the mainland. Your navy can be bolstered with further Juggernaughts to slowly clear the rest so that you can make landings further south as well.

This strategy has worked for me perfectly, every time, even on Normal difficulty. I've replicated it at least four times now.

Edit: If the dwarves don't like you, marrying the Dwarven Princess is both a convenient way to help counterbalance this AND her dowry consists of sixty gold. Sixty gold. That is more than enough money to conquer the entire goddamn ocean.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Psssh by mid chapter 2 no war machine on Earth is capable of denting me, let alone tearing me apart handily :smug:

I find that imp fighters can still do a number on me if I don't take them out quickly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I find that imp fighters can still do a number on me if I don't take them out quickly.

Bastion, Blood Leech, and Steel Scales. What negligible damage they can inflict is immediately leeched back.

My ideal setup for the Zephyr is...

Acid Blaze/Purifying Flames/Bastion/Eye of the Patriarch/Soar/Bloodleech/Devastation/Steel Scales/(Aura of Annihilation? Do whatever really)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

King Doom posted:

I use this simple formula for most RTS battles:

1) Send out troops to all available Construction Sites (other than the one that the AI is sending all of his units to), build Battle Forge and other production buildings in the meantime
2) Spawn your dragon as soon as possible to keep your constructed Recruitment Citadels safe
3) Build troops until you can go on the offensive, along with your dragon

That's it. I'm terrible at tactics and I don't even bother to use troops' special abilities, but this is enough to make me win most battles even when I have a 20% chance on auto-resolve.

Bastion, Blood Leech, and Steel Scales. What negligible damage they can inflict is immediately leeched back.

My tricked-out dragon was almost invincible in Chapter III, but in one of the later battles a group of imp fighters really hosed me up before I could take them out. I was having framerate issues at the time (due to that incredibly irritating 'That's impossible, commander!' bug), but still. At least, I think it was the imp fighters that did me in. Makes sense, since they're strong against airborne units.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 11, 2013

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track

Phlegmish posted:

That's just it, her former nation aside. She didn't grow bitter from experiencing oppression firsthand, she actually comes from a very privileged position in an established matriarchy and is just mortified to find out that the 'natural order' is reversed in the DC world. The closest equivalent to her character in real life is probably a white supremacist complaining about the plaasmoorde in post-apartheid South Africa. She even uses very similar biotruthy rhetoric in order to justify her hateful ideology; men (blacks) are supposedly unfit to rule in civilized society due to their animalistic nature and inability to control their impulses. I think that's what makes her decisions interesting and frustrating at the same time; just like with the hypothetical white supremacist and the plaasmoorde, it's a serious problem that is unfortunately being brought up by a terrible person who is not really interested in equality at all. You have to choose between doing the right thing on one hand and the opportunity to spite them on the other hand.

I don't think it's clear that she was raised in a matriarchy. She was queen of a matriarchy, yes, but I don't think there's any mention of how it came to be or exactly how it fell.

She has an indefensibly low opinion of men but what she asks for is not superiority but equality. She doesn't ask for more pay than Henry or Edmund, she asks for the same. She doesn't ask for Undead women to be installed in positions of power, she asks for suffrage. She doesn't ask for girls to be protected from arranged marriage, she asks for the end of arranged marriage. She doesn't ask for all of your officers to be women, she asks for half of them to be women. Also, by the end of her arc, she's probably more mellow about it than you'd expect given how abrasively she starts. In the beginning she expected nothing from the man in control and given the other leaders in the game I don't blame her.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Question: I got my DC key for Steam through the Larian Vault after pledging to the D:OS kickstarter. It doesn't look like I have the imperial edition, despite having the GOG add-on. How do I tell for certain? Anyone else having this issue?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I just got this game. I was in a battle doing my usual strategy of 'left click dudes down as a dragon while I build a massive loving army' when all of a sudden the game was just like YOU WIN IN 3 SECONDS CONGRATS and kicks me out of battle. I have no idea what happened. Both of us controlled about half the map and the battle had only been going on a couple of minutes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
^^^^Had the recruit pool been depleted? When the AI runs out of recruits it likes to surrender.

Rivensteel posted:

Question: I got my DC key for Steam through the Larian Vault after pledging to the D:OS kickstarter. It doesn't look like I have the imperial edition, despite having the GOG add-on. How do I tell for certain? Anyone else having this issue?

Do you have the Earth Map? If you have that, you have the Imperial Edition. The gold dragon skin seems to be missing in action, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

I just got this game. I was in a battle doing my usual strategy of 'left click dudes down as a dragon while I build a massive loving army' when all of a sudden the game was just like YOU WIN IN 3 SECONDS CONGRATS and kicks me out of battle. I have no idea what happened. Both of us controlled about half the map and the battle had only been going on a couple of minutes.

It's probably because their troop strength was down to less than 11% of yours, especially if you were in the process of building a massive army. I've come across that victory condition a few times. Congratulations, you were winning so hard they just gave up.

• Locked thread