Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

On a 2007 MBP it is; every graphical effect is sluggish as hell with two monitors on at the same time. Steam games run fine with one monitor but have a very noticeable performance drop when a second screen is up doing nothing but sucking up resources.

Maybe the answer is not to use a 6 year old machine laptop to play 2012/13 games on a 2012 os?

Apple only supports poo poo that old because people would whine that their $3k machine would be obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kingnothing posted:

Maybe the answer is not to use a 6 year old machine laptop to play 2012/13 games on a 2012 os?

Apple only supports poo poo that old because people would whine that their $3k machine would be obsolete.
The games run fine on a single monitor. Running games with both monitors active years ago even on SL impacted performance, but thanks for your reply!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Kingnothing posted:

I highly doubt Apple gives a poo poo if your old rear end hardware becomes obsolete no matter how much people would whine. The kind of customers that bitch about buying new hardware because they want to keep what they bought forever and ever are not the type of customer many companies, especially not Apple, hope to acquire.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Stare-Out posted:

In Mountain Lion, is there no way to disable your MBP's internal monitor while it's connected to an external one? It worked out of the box in SL, required Terminal fuckery in Lion, and now I guess it's completely impossible.

I bet if you put a magnet over the lid sensor you could get it to think that the lid was closed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

chimz posted:

I bet if you put a magnet over the lid sensor you could get it to think that the lid was closed.
That works with the slightly newer models I think, mine doesn't have a magnet unfortunately. Supposedly 10.8.4. added a (ludicrously roundabout) way of disabling the internal monitor which is to boot the computer with the lid shut. Sounds feasible in theory, except the power button is then underneath the lid and thus unaccessible. I might try that out anyway (or the closest to it) if I can't find any sensible solutions to this.

One would think there'd be a new terminal command to replace the one that worked in OS X Lion.
code:
sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0"
For reference.

Carbn
Oct 6, 2007

computer parts posted:

Can anyone suggest good accounting software? My dad is stuck on Quicken 2007 and he doesn't like it very much. Ideally he'd want something that could import a Quicken file but that's not essential.

My dad recently bought himself an iMac after years of being used to old versions of Quicken and Microsoft Money on Windows. He uses (and likes) iBank.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

That works with the slightly newer models I think, mine doesn't have a magnet unfortunately

If by "newer model," you mean "post-2003-ish models," then you're correct in saying that only "newer models" have a magnet for sensing display closure. That came along with the white iBooks and titanium PowerBooks, I believe.

Run something metal along the display bezel. Find where it sticks. Find where that meets the top case when closed. Stick a small magnet there.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sonic Dude posted:

If by "newer model," you mean "post-2003-ish models," then you're correct in saying that only "newer models" have a magnet for sensing display closure. That came along with the white iBooks and titanium PowerBooks, I believe.
Hm, in any case I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have it, though. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course. Mine just clicks shut by hooking up to a clip of sorts, it doesn't seem magnetic.

E: Well holy poo poo. The right side of the display bezel is indeed magnetic. I'll give it a try once I find a magnet somewhere. Much appreciated!

E2: Well, valiant effort but no dice; it reacts to the magnet, but straight-up goes into sleep mode. If woken up, it starts the external display and not the internal one as I'd want, but moments later falls asleep again. If I wake it up and then take away the magnet, the internal display turns on after a couple of seconds.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 10, 2013

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's been a while since I've done this, but if I remember correctly, migration assistant creates a new user account to migrate things over to an existing mac, correct?

Also, has anyone had any luck migrating from a time machine backup to a thunderbolt mac via a firewire-to-thunderbolt adapter?

adreaminsound
Jun 22, 2004

Am I not the ravager, the devourer of worlds? Am I not Galactus!?!

Rick posted:

It's been a while since I've done this, but if I remember correctly, migration assistant creates a new user account to migrate things over to an existing mac, correct?

Also, has anyone had any luck migrating from a time machine backup to a thunderbolt mac via a firewire-to-thunderbolt adapter?

It wasn't firewire but I just finished migrating from a time machine backup using a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter. I don't know why it wouldn't work with the thunderbolt to firewire.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Stare-Out posted:

E2: Well, valiant effort but no dice; it reacts to the magnet, but straight-up goes into sleep mode. If woken up, it starts the external display and not the internal one as I'd want, but moments later falls asleep again. If I wake it up and then take away the magnet, the internal display turns on after a couple of seconds.

Did you satisfy all the requirements for clamshell mode? You need power, keyboard, mouse, and display before it will quit going to sleep again.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

chimz posted:

Did you satisfy all the requirements for clamshell mode? You need power, keyboard, mouse, and display before it will quit going to sleep again.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131
Yeah, got all those going. If I keep moving the mouse or typing something it seems to stay awake, but if it spends more than two seconds idle, it goes to sleep.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, got all those going. If I keep moving the mouse or typing something it seems to stay awake, but if it spends more than two seconds idle, it goes to sleep.

Then you can't be in clamshell mode (you're missing some element). With that magnet there, the computer operates exactly as it would with the display closed, because it has no way of knowing it's really open.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Just set the brightness all the way down.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

SRQ posted:

Just set the brightness all the way down.

They're trying to turn off the internal display entirely so the GPU doesn't waste resources driving it.

The magnet trick should work.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sonic Dude posted:

Then you can't be in clamshell mode (you're missing some element). With that magnet there, the computer operates exactly as it would with the display closed, because it has no way of knowing it's really open.
It does that in clamshell too. Just to be clear; it's plugged in (with no battery), there's an external monitor, keyboard and mouse (wireless) attached. If I put the magnet on, or close the lid and then press a key on the keyboard, the computer wakes up (if asleep) or the external monitor turns on and the internal one stays off, but no matter what I do, let it idle or type, a few seconds later the external monitor goes dark and the computer goes back to sleep. It just keeps repeating this cycle if I keep pressing keys or moving the mouse.

So I guess ML broke clamshell mode, too. Not that I could've used it due to heat issues anyway, but that rules the magnet method out. :(

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
I used the NoSleep app to use my 2010 MBP in clamshell mode. Try that? I never had an issue with it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Just so you know, without a battery installed, the machine will run at a reduced speed.

Edit: I had to use the wayback machine to be able to load the article page.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130615084258/http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332

1997 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 11, 2013

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Is there a good synchronization tool for the HTC One on OSX?
The HTC Sync Manager that comes with it sucks dicks.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Manifest posted:

Not really, if you want to sync things your best bets respectively would be:

Sync Address Book and iCal with Google
Sync Photos with Dropbox
Sync Bookmarks with Chrome

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Terpfen posted:

I used the NoSleep app to use my 2010 MBP in clamshell mode. Try that? I never had an issue with it.
It works fine, it just does pretty much the exact opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish; with it the computer doesn't react to the magnet at all so the displays won't shut off.

1997 posted:

Just so you know, without a battery installed, the machine will run at a reduced speed.

Edit: I had to use the wayback machine to be able to load the article page.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130615084258/http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332
I'm aware of this, yeah, but sadly my previous battery died completely shortly before bloating enough to unbalance the computer on my desk. I've only found one place that sells authentic batteries for this MBP and they're around $150. I'm taking this thing in for a (long overdue) service which will be $100 as it is, so I'm not ready to dish out for a new battery just yet.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Stare-Out posted:

It works fine, it just does pretty much the exact opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish; with it the computer doesn't react to the magnet at all so the displays won't shut off.
I'm aware of this, yeah, but sadly my previous battery died completely shortly before bloating enough to unbalance the computer on my desk. I've only found one place that sells authentic batteries for this MBP and they're around $150. I'm taking this thing in for a (long overdue) service which will be $100 as it is, so I'm not ready to dish out for a new battery just yet.

Which battery model number? BattPitt sells fairly cheap batteries for most of the Macbooks on Amazon.

If its the A1321 then they don't. Thats the one I'm looking for right now.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Manifest posted:

Experto Crede posted:

Sync Photos with Dropbox

Would The Missing Sync (For Android) work? I know it worked very nicely for my palm pilot (and still does, really). I don't really know how well it works with android, though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

8ender posted:

Which battery model number? BattPitt sells fairly cheap batteries for most of the Macbooks on Amazon.

If its the A1321 then they don't. Thats the one I'm looking for right now.
The site doesn't show which model number it is (or I can't just find it) but I know it's authentic and I'm consciously avoiding third-party batteries after hearing tons of horror stories about them. Anyway, the battery works with "MacBook Pro 15" (Aluminum, 2006 - Early 2008 -models)" which includes mine.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

The site doesn't show which model number it is (or I can't just find it) but I know it's authentic and I'm consciously avoiding third-party batteries after hearing tons of horror stories about them. Anyway, the battery works with "MacBook Pro 15" (Aluminum, 2006 - Early 2008 -models)" which includes mine.

These work great: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAP15MBP56RS/

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Are there any good "theme" programs for OSX?
I like the way it looks, but I used to have fun sperging around with theming programs in windows. Do weird poo poo like use rainmeter to make my desktop look like deus ex.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

SRQ posted:

No.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

SRQ posted:

I like the way it looks, but I used to have fun sperging around with theming programs in windows. Do weird poo poo like use rainmeter to make my desktop look like deus ex.

Max Rudberg's Obsidian Bar is a nice little touch, though requires you to change all the menu icons.

http://www.maxrudberg.com/

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

Experto Crede posted:

Sync Photos with Dropbox

WinAmp will sync your iTunes library with Android.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Gnomedolf posted:

WinAmp will sync your iTunes library with Android.

I also forget to mention google music manager will sync your music to the cloud.

SRQ posted:

Once, yes, sort of. Unsanity made programs that would let you do lots of weird skinning poo poo, but because it was all hacked in kludges it caused major problems (i.e. people upgrading to Leopard when it came out would have their install fail), etc.

Now there's a couple of things to change the menu bar colour, but not really worth it in honesty.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

SRQ posted:

Y'all ain't from 'round here, are ya?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

What does that even mean?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SRQ posted:

What does that even mean?

I think he's referring to the heresy of wanting to alter what St. Steve and his holy acolyte Sir Ive have given to this Earth, so now it's off to the Gulag with you.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

No, there isn't anything. Apple changed the theme system in 10.5 or so and Unsanity never updated shapeshifter. I think deviantart has a collection of themes that you can install by replacing system files, but to my knowledge there isn't any program to automate that.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Alright then. I'm happy enough with it as it is, but I was raised a windows man and sperging over things is what I do best.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I know how you feel, sometimes changing the theme can be cool, but Apple is king of "don't touch anything and it'll work every time."

If you really have some time that you can't find anything better to do, look through http://www.deviantart.com/customization/skins/macutilities/ and see if anything looks good, but it's just not as easy/fast as WindowBlinds.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Nah I don't think I'll bother. Unless I can hyper-sperg and re-create the Deus Ex desktop I had a few years ago It's not worth it.
Password was SMASHTHESTATE too.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

You know how space bar scrolls down a page in a web browser? Well, what scrolls up a page? I've got an Air so I don't have the page keys.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Abel Wingnut posted:

You know how space bar scrolls down a page in a web browser? Well, what scrolls up a page? I've got an Air so I don't have the page keys.

Fn + ⬆, but you should really use two-finger scrolling on the trackpad, along with all the other awesome gestures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Abel Wingnut posted:

Shift+Space.

Fn+Arrow keys are Page Up/Down/Home/End though.