Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Doublehex posted:

So guys, I was thinking the other day, "Hey 13th Age is great and all, but the character sheet is so...bleh. Too much like Wizards of the Coast, not enough like White Wolf." So I changed that.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9tltuduznqc940s

The idea was to give a character sheet that looked and felt like something...well, heroic. So I pretty much took a bunch of assets from Guild Wars 2. I think I did a fairly decent job here, although with all of the symbols and hexagons I did run out of room for the Equipment panel. Then again, it's not like we don't write that generic stuff on the back of the paper anyways.

Tell me your thoughts and critiques for improvement.

The font choice is almost illegible when it's smaller. Which I suppose is kind of exactly like WW character sheets :v:. That top and bottom right hand corners are just a block of scribbles when I'm not zoomed in. The text for stuff like "mod+level" are unreadable at what would be normal scale if I was to print this out on a piece of paper.

Also it would be really nice to have a bit more room in the feat/class talent abilities just so I can at least put down a paraphrasing of the rules since most of those are small enough effects I don't want to hunt through the book to find.

Style is nice and all but character sheets need to be read and have room to display important information prominently. Function is what's important. If you have to remove entire sections of what would be important character stuff, like equipment, to fit in art assets you're going about this the wrong way.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The symbols are cool, but that's a terrible font. Text should be legible, I can't make out the white on black at all...

There's a lot of whitespace too.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 11, 2013

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
Agree absolutley on the font. Was looking it over ten minutes back and I was like... "If I didn't make this, I couldn't read poo poo."

So, definitely new font for the non-headers.

Don't know what to do with the white space, though. Not like I can move things anywhere else.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ditching the hexes and redundant titles should free up some space for you to work with. Gw2 assets are (should be??) squares anyways...

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Jackard posted:

Ditching the hexes and redundant titles should free up some space for you to work with. Gw2 assets are (should be??) squares anyways...

GW2 icons WERE squares, but I actually shrunk them for my hexagon frames. I think the issue with the lack of white space is the core of my philosophy behind the character sheet - images. When you got lots of images taking up space, room is going to be an issue.

I'm thinking what I could do to fit Equipment in is to chop off some of 1/4 of Histories and Powers, and put Equipment right in that freed up spot.

Now you mentioned redundant titles - I don't see anything on there that I mentioned more than once.

edit: I could also axe the top or bottom border entirely. I like both equally though - which would you guys prefer?

Doublehex fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 11, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

You kinda need the borders for a White Wolf look.

Doublehex posted:

Now you mentioned redundant titles - I don't see anything on there that I mentioned more than once.
So, you're using symbols, right? Why are you giving an explanation of each one with a giant block of text?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 11, 2013

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Jackard posted:

You kinda need the borders for a White Wolf look.

I'm not necessarily emulating White Wolf so much as I am making a sheet that has some art on it. I just used White Wolf as an example because off the bat you all know what I'm talking about.

I think the sheet could work with just one of the borders.

quote:

So, you're using symbols, right? Why are you giving an explanation of each one with a giant block of text?

Because chances are if I took out all of the fonts no one would have a clue which stats were which. The symbols are an aesthetic compliment to the text.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Doublehex posted:

GW2 icons WERE squares, but I actually shrunk them for my hexagon frames. I think the issue with the lack of white space is the core of my philosophy behind the character sheet - images. When you got lots of images taking up space, room is going to be an issue.
You simply aren't using space efficiently, and the hexes play a large part. Use your assets more intelligently.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
So I have another question about the Monk now. How is the damage dice for the fist, backhand, and kick supposed to progress? With the way its worded it actually sounds like the damage dice progresses one to an additional die every time you level.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

MadScientistWorking posted:

So I have another question about the Monk now. How is the damage dice for the fist, backhand, and kick supposed to progress? With the way its worded it actually sounds like the damage dice progresses one to an additional die every time you level.

That would put it in line with every other weapon, any reason you think that's odd?

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

It's a playtest draft, so if it doesn't make sense it would help us a lot if you reported back that it doesn't make sense. If you get help on the forums, it's less useful to the designers (and potentially leads to a worse design.)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Flavivirus posted:

That would put it in line with every other weapon, any reason you think that's odd?
I knew I was missing something as I'm relatively new to this system and was trying to figure out what it was.

waderockett posted:

It's a playtest draft, so if it doesn't make sense it would help us a lot if you reported back that it doesn't make sense. If you get help on the forums, it's less useful to the designers (and potentially leads to a worse design.)
Don't worry I'll start giving feedback once I start playing. This question felt more like I was missing a basic mechanic that was in the base game.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 11, 2013

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Update on the Hero Sheet: http://www.mediafire.com/?dazu6gx40czs6ck

Changed font from something that looks like it was taken from a journal to a much more "formal" Trajan inspired one. I made the "ON HIT" and "ON MISS" a little bit bigger to make room for slightly larger font sizes that makes it much more legible. The new font and taking off 4 lines from "Histories" and "Powers" gave me enough room for Equipment. Forgot to get an image for that, though.

I also put in "progress to next level" portion at the top. I would have done "out of 13" fights but I decided to leave room for the possibility that the GM will put in a custom amount.

edit: Scratch that, here's one with a symbol for Equipment. http://www.mediafire.com/?u5vls9n4un2s2f1

Doublehex fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 11, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Doublehex posted:

Update on the Hero Sheet: http://www.mediafire.com/?dazu6gx40czs6ck

Changed font from something that looks like it was taken from a journal to a much more "formal" Trajan inspired one. I made the "ON HIT" and "ON MISS" a little bit bigger to make room for slightly larger font sizes that makes it much more legible. The new font and taking off 4 lines from "Histories" and "Powers" gave me enough room for Equipment. Forgot to get an image for that, though.

I also put in "progress to next level" portion at the top. I would have done "out of 13" fights but I decided to leave room for the possibility that the GM will put in a custom amount.

edit: Scratch that, here's one with a symbol for Equipment. http://www.mediafire.com/?u5vls9n4un2s2f1

This is better. The font for the Class Talents need to be changed to match the rest. You've still got the huge problem of all your tiny text that's on black backrounds are unreadable. I'm zoomed in at 135% page size and they're barely readable and if I zoom in enough for them to be a decent size the font makes them unreadable. The Top right hand corner is just a mess. All the boxes could be much bigger. They should at least be comparable to the box you have for putting stats in since they're both holding comparably sized text (2 digit numbers). Hell, a bit bigger than that would be prefered since you'll be writing and rewriting in them constantly. Look at the boxes on the Recovery Roll Section! I can't read anything on that box or write anything down in it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Turns out my book got delivered to the wrong box, but the person who got it brought it to me just now! Dang, the book is a beast. From the weight I thought I might be one of the people who randomly got two, but nope!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
My new 13th Age character's weapon is the 13th Age rulebook.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

General Ironicus posted:

My new 13th Age character's weapon is the 13th Age rulebook.

Every time he crits, its a second book arriving in the mail.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK

Bombadilillo posted:

Wouldnt a bigger E-die just make it go that much quicker? Imagin adding 10 to a roll! You will never miss.

Are you trying to slow things down or just not have the die stalled at 6?

Sorry I've been a bit busy on contest work / headache. Yeah I'm just trying to not have the die stalled at 6 because as it stands I usually get 4-5 rounds of just 6 right now. The speed is perfectly cool though, fast combat is a blessing in a d20 game.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
That means combat is lasting 11-12 rounds total, and that sounds really odd.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'd be really curious to see your encounter budgeting here.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
I've run two sessions so far (around 5-6 hours) and I think my escalation die has hit 6 exactly once. Even a fight with almost 50 mooks and 5 young dragons only got up to 4.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is better. The font for the Class Talents need to be changed to match the rest. You've still got the huge problem of all your tiny text that's on black backrounds are unreadable. I'm zoomed in at 135% page size and they're barely readable and if I zoom in enough for them to be a decent size the font makes them unreadable. The Top right hand corner is just a mess. All the boxes could be much bigger. They should at least be comparable to the box you have for putting stats in since they're both holding comparably sized text (2 digit numbers). Hell, a bit bigger than that would be prefered since you'll be writing and rewriting in them constantly. Look at the boxes on the Recovery Roll Section! I can't read anything on that box or write anything down in it.

I think the biggest problem I am having is the difference in zoom levels between Photoshop CC and Adobe Reader. Photoshop's "100%" zoomed in level is close to "400%" in Adobe Reader. So I am in photoshop and I think "Gee, that's nice and readable!" Then I open up Adobe Reader and I'm like "...poo poo."

I appreciate the critique. I think by tomorrow it should be all squared away. I've greatly expanded the size of the fill in boxes...now it's just a matter of making sure the font is 110% readable.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
another thought is maybe the players are being very conservative/defensive, in which case the Escalation die probably shouldn't be going up.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK

General Ironicus posted:

That means combat is lasting 11-12 rounds total, and that sounds really odd.

PantsOptional posted:

I'd be really curious to see your encounter budgeting here.

It's the budgeting, I don't use standard encounter budgeting because I like making fights pretty deadly so a lot of the time my players will fight stuff that's more dangerous than they should. Mind you PC death at my table is actually pretty rare; but getting dropped can be pretty common in my boss encounters. It's less to do with the game and more to do with my table.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I feel like a giddy little schoolgirl that my name is in the playtest credits :allears:

Now I just need to get an actual game in...

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

PixelScum posted:

It's the budgeting, I don't use standard encounter budgeting because I like making fights pretty deadly so a lot of the time my players will fight stuff that's more dangerous than they should. Mind you PC death at my table is actually pretty rare; but getting dropped can be pretty common in my boss encounters. It's less to do with the game and more to do with my table.

My current DM, PublicOpinion manages to make fights hard without making them last forever. Maybe ask for tips on how to do that. Because being hard doesn't equal taking forever.

vvv Edit: We use Skype and Roll20. vvv

djw175 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 12, 2013

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
What's the best method for playing 13th Age online, Skype/Google Hangout/Roll20/Maptools style?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Skype and roll20 here.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

djw175 posted:

My current DM, PublicOpinion manages to make fights hard without making them last forever. Maybe ask for tips on how to do that. Because being hard doesn't equal taking forever.
PixelScum posted earlier that despite the high round count his battles tend to stay under 20 minutes. That sounds like straight up witchcraft to me but if it works, it works.

PixelScum posted:

Yeah I'm just trying to not have the die stalled at 6 because as it stands I usually get 4-5 rounds of just 6 right now.
Usually having the escalation die at 6 means pretty much automatic hits all around, but if you're using different encounter budgeting you might still have an appreciable chance of missing at that point, depending on whether you use more or stronger enemies. In that case using a bigger escalation die really might be worth a shot since there's still room to go, so to speak, and battles would go even faster (though really, 20 minutes is already pretty fantastic, shaving off any more time would just be icing on the cake).

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013

drunkencarp posted:

What's the best method for playing 13th Age online, Skype/Google Hangout/Roll20/Maptools style?

Combination Hangouts and Roll20 for us.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Is Roll20 overkill for a game like 13th Age where there's no grid and positions are approximate? I haven't used it but I have used MapTools a lot and that seems way more than you'd need. I'm contemplating hangouts with a die roller and a whiteboard app. What does Roll20 deliver that folks like?

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer

head58 posted:

Is Roll20 overkill for a game like 13th Age where there's no grid and positions are approximate? I haven't used it but I have used MapTools a lot and that seems way more than you'd need. I'm contemplating hangouts with a die roller and a whiteboard app. What does Roll20 deliver that folks like?

I haven't used MapTools for a while, but from what I can remember, it can do more things than Roll20 at the cost of being much more complicated and breaking much more often. I'm in two groups, as a DM and a player, and Roll20 works pretty fantastically for both, with the exception of occasional weird errors that refreshing can normally fix. Even though 13th Age doesn't use a grid (which can be turned off in Roll20 anyway) it does, or at least can, use environments, tokens, and other D20-ish conventions. It's easy to import maps and tokens, the health bars all work, and there's an initiative tool and a mostly bug-free fog of war. Even if you don't use all the features, I can't image why you would use more than one program when Roll20 should work fine.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

As a GM (in roll20) you can turn the grid off and just use pretty overland maps. As a player I'll tell you what I loved and can't play without: macros. They make the game flow so much faster than rolling and adding, plus you can set them to include the value of the escalation die. Roll20 may have a lot of stuff you don't need, but it's very unobtrusive with its functionality.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Glad to hear it's not as Byzantine as MapTools. Thanks.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK

djw175 posted:

vvv Edit: We use Skype and Roll20. vvv

They don't last forever, see how they last less than 20 minutes consistently.

Edit: Oh yeah and Roll20 is good if you absolutely need a virtual tabletop but especially good if you need one with cards.

PixelScum fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 13, 2013

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

head58 posted:

Glad to hear it's not as Byzantine as MapTools. Thanks.

Roll20 actually integrates with Hangout. Also unlike MapTool it doesn't poo poo the bed horribly 3/10ths of the time.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Speaking of computer aids for 13th Age, I started working on this today. It's a (very, very bare-bones) online character creator. Unfortunately, as I didn't plan ahead it's sort of become a mess of spaghetti code and bad coding practices, but I will definitely be fixing and refining it in the future (next goals on the agenda are weapon selection and making level/class/race actually give the stat bonuses they should.)

The only thing I'm wondering is how kosher it would be to use the Icons in this. I'm pretty sure I'm safe on the other mechanics, but I think Icons probably fall in the part of the fluff that isn't Archmage licensed. If I can't use them, I'll have to come up with unlicensed equivalents, I suppose.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

As a GM (in roll20) you can turn the grid off and just use pretty overland maps. As a player I'll tell you what I loved and can't play without: macros. They make the game flow so much faster than rolling and adding, plus you can set them to include the value of the escalation die. Roll20 may have a lot of stuff you don't need, but it's very unobtrusive with its functionality.
Where can you get these macros? Or do you have to make them all by hand?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I got mine in Japan on Sunday. It was in pristine condition, and I have to say it is one of the best RPG books I have ever pruchased. I love the layout and the quality of the paper.

I'm in the middle of running a PF adventure path, but will get a 13th Age game going as soon as I can...I'm very excited to see it in action. I already have plans to stealthily transfer several things into my current PF game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Jackard posted:

Where can you get these macros? Or do you have to make them all by hand?

Here's a tutorial I wrote on using the escalation die in macros: link

• Locked thread