Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLA is playing a freaking sweet-rear end setlist on their EU tour and now I'm doubly pissed they aren't coming anywhere near Finland this time. Goddamnit.

However, I've just spent an awful chunk of money so I can catch two Project Pitchfork gigs in Germany in September, because gently caress everything :unsmigghh: Black is an incredible loving album and I NEED to see this tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Kind of a long shot, but I'll be here tonight: http://www.theshelteratl.com/events/bunker404-dance-night-2?ev=Fri%20Aug%2016,%2009:00%20PM

Any other industrial goons in Atlanta? It would be cool to meet you if so.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Halloween Jack posted:

If so, he definitely beat Aesthetic Perfection for the "Most Embarrassing Lyrics by a Revered Artist" Award.

Hey now, your talking about the man who puts the pussy in a sarcophagus.
:confuoot:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

FLA is playing a freaking sweet-rear end setlist on their EU tour and now I'm doubly pissed they aren't coming anywhere near Finland this time. Goddamnit.

Good to hear, I'm going there!

I'm one of those weird people who usually prefers the newer ebm but this should be good fun anyway.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

However, I've just spent an awful chunk of money so I can catch two Project Pitchfork gigs in Germany in September, because gently caress everything :unsmigghh: Black is an incredible loving album and I NEED to see this tour.
It really is. I have listened to Project Pitchwork for most of the last two months, and the latest album is great (Continuum Ride is a bit better imo). It was the repeated mentions (and avatars) here that got me to check out their recent stuff. I had listened a few times in the late 90s and early 00s and didn't really like any of it, but the stuff including and after Tiresias is -great-. He really seems to have matured as a song writer and lyricist too (ok the videos are still cheesy as hell). So, thanks :)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty excited about seeing Ivardensphere, Haujobb and FLA on Thursday, then a whole bunch of bands at Infest over the weekend. Covenant seemed to be shockingly drunk last time I saw them though ,so I'm kinda hoping Eskil isn't slurring as much this time...

Also. If any of you are also going to Infest and want to meet up (at the bar realistically, let's be honest here) then hit me up with a PM or else at danger.octopus at googlemail.com.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Had to tearfully skip this years Infest at the last minute due to monetary reasons. :( There's always Resistanz....

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Saw the FLA show and it was indeed awesome. There was some wubstep (which Haujobb was making fun of beforehand) but they also played plenty of classics, like Plasticity which was probably the high point of the show for the crowd. Surprisingly, they also put AirMech in there, which made for a nice interlude. I quite liked some of their new songs anyway, in particular, "Blood" stood out during the performance.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Noricae posted:

It really is. I have listened to Project Pitchwork for most of the last two months, and the latest album is great (Continuum Ride is a bit better imo). It was the repeated mentions (and avatars) here that got me to check out their recent stuff. I had listened a few times in the late 90s and early 00s and didn't really like any of it, but the stuff including and after Tiresias is -great-. He really seems to have matured as a song writer and lyricist too (ok the videos are still cheesy as hell). So, thanks :)

Yeah, Continuum Ride is probably my all-time favorite Pitchfork album. It just does nearly everything right. Black isn't the Spilles's best album, but it was just such a relief to get such an all-around fantastic album after Quantum Mechanics, which I thought was all over the place. Black is definitely up in the top 5 for me, and considering Project Pitchfork's discography, the quality of that top 5 is loving insane.

I can understand not liking Eon:Eon (I think it's a solid album but not very exciting apart from the singles) or the super introspective and low-key NUN-Trilogy (I love it), but I'm surprised you didn't like ANY of the early 2000s stuff, considering there's Daimonion in there. That album is a loving masterpiece any way you cut it.

Anyway, I basically love each and every Project Pitchfork album, but some just more and some for different reasons. Even the ones I like the least (Kaskade and Dhyani, pretty much) aren't that rare visitors in my CD player.

Also I WILL talk about Project Pitchfork forever if you let me, so maybe I'll stop now

edit: Sorry, appears I misread your post and thought you said you'd listened to material from the late 90s and early 00s. Oh well, my point still stands.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 20, 2013

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

I'd still call it the best PP album, even better than Continuum Ride, but that's just me. I don't think they'll ever top it.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

edit: Sorry, appears I misread your post and thought you said you'd listened to material from the late 90s and early 00s. Oh well, my point still stands.
Nope, older stuff, but that was the last time I had given them a chance - think Alpha & Omega and Entities, and I didn't differentiate them from much else in the EBM genre so I hadn't gone back and tried anything from them in the past fifteen or more years to be honest. They have steadily gotten better (with a few dips but then back up again), but with a huge (huge) jump at Tiresias. I did like Daimonion, but I probably wouldn't have given that a listen had I not gone Black -> Continuum Ride (loop this for literally two weeks straight, the Dividing Line is a masterpiece) -> Quantum (took 5+ listens for me to like some of it, it was good but not as good) -> older stuff. Order is probably Continuum, Tiresias tied with Black, Daimonion (unsure how good this is without Timekiller), Quantum Mechanics (still pretty good, but Splice is -hilarious- yet catchy), then my attention span wanders whenever I try and listen to a full album from anything older.

I seriously listen to very very little EBM** (lots of rhythmic noise/idm* related) because a lot of it seems like mediocre eurohouse with some uniforms thrown in, but Project Pitchfork's newer stuff has really stood out. And I can't get anyone else to listen, and I don't understand how they're so little known in the US. :mad: I link them to a youtube video and they won't even look past the strange men wearing colonial hats on a cloudy beach in Germany looking sad. Go figure ;)

*Which I never really know where to post about. But, in case anyone here listens to Detritus (great), some new tracks are out: http://www.adnoiseam.net/news/early-excerpts-from-detritus-s-next-album (last one is pretty good! the rest is good but sounds like the last album).

**Unless by ebm someone accidentally ends up meaning Kraftwerk et al, which never happens.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 21, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Noricae posted:

Nope, older stuff, but that was the last time I had given them a chance - think Alpha & Omega and Entities, and I didn't differentiate them from much else in the EBM genre so I hadn't gone back and tried anything from them in the past fifteen or more years to be honest. They have steadily gotten better (with a few dips but then back up again), but with a huge (huge) jump at Tiresias. I did like Daimonion, but I probably wouldn't have given that a listen had I not gone Black -> Continuum Ride (loop this for literally two weeks straight, the Dividing Line is a masterpiece) -> Quantum (took 5+ listens for me to like some of it, it was good but not as good) -> older stuff. Order is probably Continuum, Tiresias tied with Black, Daimonion (unsure how good this is without Timekiller), Quantum Mechanics (still pretty good, but Splice is -hilarious- yet catchy), then my attention span wanders whenever I try and listen to a full album from anything older.

I seriously listen to very very little EBM** (lots of rhythmic noise/idm* related) because a lot of it seems like mediocre eurohouse with some uniforms thrown in, but Project Pitchfork's newer stuff has really stood out. And I can't get anyone else to listen, and I don't understand how they're so little known in the US. :mad: I link them to a youtube video and they won't even look past the strange men wearing colonial hats on a cloudy beach in Germany looking sad. Go figure ;)

*Which I never really know where to post about. But, in case anyone here listens to Detritus (great), some new tracks are out: http://www.adnoiseam.net/news/early-excerpts-from-detritus-s-next-album (last one is pretty good! the rest is good but sounds like the last album).

**Unless by ebm someone accidentally ends up meaning Kraftwerk et al, which never happens.

I hate quibbling about genres because who cares, but Project Pitchfork really isn't EBM. I always liked their own description, it's just "dark electro". PP was always vaaaaaastly more ambitious and actually artistic both musically and thematically than pretty much the entire EBM genre, which I've always associated more with clubby, easy-to-dance-to music. They're like an European, less druggy and noisy Skinny Puppy.

I recommend you give the earlier albums another chance, especially Lam-'Bras, which is one of my favorites, or IO. I personally love how thematically the earlier albums are ALL ABOUT Buddhist philosophy, nature conversation and social criticism, and Spilles just presents them with such enthusiasm. I guess Project Pitchfork's entire message was already summarized way back in 1994 in Souls: "Observe the world and think". It's not like that sentiment has changed that much in the 20+ years they've been active, but the youthful enthusiasm of the early material is just so powerful (and just a little :kimchi:) to me.

I'll be shamefully honest here: Project loving Pitchfork is the band whose music just, for whatever reason, touches me the deepest. Music always gives me incredible emotional experiences, but not a single band does it as consistently as this particular one. Apart from my own music, that is, but that's because my music is made 100% for me and its express purpose is to be exactly the kind of music I want to hear. But that PP can do that to me without being directly catering their music for me is, in my opinion, pretty amazing.

edit:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 21, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

I hate quibbling about genres because who cares, but Project Pitchfork really isn't EBM. I always liked their own description, it's just "dark electro".
Yep, I hesitated to label it such because I saw darkwave popup as the genre mentioned often, but hey, there are stompy clubby anthems in there, so close enough. :colbert: It sure isn't Converter/Iszoloscope/Stendeck etc. And yes, it was such a relief to find songs about actual issues written pretty well (although, Spilles, you really can't make the word giggle rhyme with anything, *wince*).

I will give those albums a try - I actually have not listened to either, and sort of stopped at Alpha & Omega on the way backwards in their discography.

So, uh, you like Project Pitchfork, I assume? :downs:

I accidentally ended up listening to Faderhead too. Why does this exist?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Entropist posted:

Saw the FLA show and it was indeed awesome. There was some wubstep (which Haujobb was making fun of beforehand) but they also played plenty of classics, like Plasticity which was probably the high point of the show for the crowd. Surprisingly, they also put AirMech in there, which made for a nice interlude. I quite liked some of their new songs anyway, in particular, "Blood" stood out during the performance.
I'm going tonight, and I'm really excited. It's great to hear good things about it all so far.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think Project Pitchfork are just okay.

Noricae posted:

I accidentally ended up listening to Faderhead too. Why does this exist?

From what I gather they started out alright? All I'd ever heard for years was Dirty Grrls/Dirty Bois and thought they were a joke. I stumbled on something a couple days ago I thought was OKAY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLptcBLy6Qw

Reminds me of 90s KMFDM.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I only really found out Project Pitchfork two years ago, and Human Crossing is one of my favourite songs of all time now. Actually all of ¡Chakra:Red! is really great.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

I consider Project Pitchfork the only perfect band in existence. They have never done anything that isn't a work of art.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Don't you dare! At least back in the 90s, KMFDM has some semblance of self-awareness.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Baby Sathanas posted:

I consider Project Pitchfork the only perfect band in existence. They have never done anything that isn't a work of art.

In The Year 2525 on Dhyani

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

In The Year 2525 on Dhyani

Ha ha hm.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Radio Paranoia posted:

Don't you dare! At least back in the 90s, KMFDM has some semblance of self-awareness.
Which Sascha unfortunately lost. Maybe it was all in En Esch.

I stand by my statement though. The aesthetics of it... the synths, the vocal fx, random German, ...he's even got the glasses and hair. Yeah it becomes a bit too clubby.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Also, Spilles' remixes (e: for other bands, that is) are consistently loving awful. It's a whole another matter if remixes can be considered part of the "canon", though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Baby Sathanas posted:

They've always been very hit-or-miss to me. The thing is though, that when they hit, they really hit. Especially with albums like Daimonion, Lam-Bras and Continuum.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Never got the chance to listen to PP myself, but would take some album recommendations..

Keep in mind I don't listen to any dance-beat-industrial/EBM/IDM/etc.. or 'dance' anything, so maybe they have some sound-designy structured stuff that's good?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Never got the chance to listen to PP myself, but would take some album recommendations..

Keep in mind I don't listen to any dance-beat-industrial/EBM/IDM/etc.. or 'dance' anything, so maybe they have some sound-designy structured stuff that's good?

I'd say Daimonion would be the best bet for you. Alternatively, The Inferno album and the accompanying EPs View From A Throne and Trialog are a huge 25-song triptych kind of a thing that's more atmospheric and introspective than stompy.

Another interesting choice would be the Wonderland/One Million Faces album. It's more of a sound collage kind of thing, with two very long songs both split into three tracks.

edit: Actually, no, sound collage will probably raise some wrong connotations, that's the wrong word. Not sure how I'd describe that album other than saying that "it's essentially two over 20-minute songs each split into three tracks".

edit2: \/\/\/ That's actually a pretty good description, yeah.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 21, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Another interesting choice would be the Wonderland/One Million Faces album. It's more of a sound collage kind of thing, with two very long songs both split into three tracks.

I always saw it as the closest you get to an electronic equivalent of an orchestral symphony. (And it's one of my favourite CDs of all time.)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Noricae posted:

Hey, I would be up for talking about this kind of thing here. I tend towards the more rhythmic noise end of things than melodic IDM, but I used to listen to lots of the IDM stuff a few years back so still have a soft spot for it. Although, there's some stuff by Detritus/Stendeck/Autoclav 1.1 etc - very mournful/moody IDM type tracks where I really struggle to tell artists apart. That said, I'd have the same problem with all the old school Nitzer Ebb/DAF influenced EBM acts if it wasn't for different singers.

Also, Enduser Shares Needles With The Teknoist is really loving great and everyone should listen to it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'd say Daimonion would be the best bet for you.

I've never really heard Project Pitchfork either but curiosity got the best of me after the supremely zealous love for this band. So, I'm listening to Daimonion but not sure if I'm going to make it much further than the "Jupiter" track. It's really well done musically, but it reminds me a lot of VNV Nation and bands that would show up in a compilation featuring VNV Nation and ultimately it's just not my bag.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yes, that was my reaction to Daimonion too. It was too VNV nation (and they were on the top recommended list when I did the EBM loop 8 years back or so, and didn't really love it. I didn't hate the VNV nation I listened to either, just didn't stick). Honestly, I would listen to all of Continuum Ride or at least Dividing Line. It's a well put together track. I would link it but this song's been pulled off of all online video services as far as I can find.

edit: Basically, if a track/album has a drum loop that is too repetitive or simple and doesn't evolve over time much, I tend to get bored. So overly stompy things may be fun for a few listens but I probably will find something more intricate to listen to. I feel that Pitchfork has gotten (much) better composition-wise over time in this respect. I am going back through their old catalogue and will probably re-evaluate this in a few months ;)

Noricae fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 21, 2013

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
There are people who like PP and don't love Io? I HEAR DA CRYING OF DA WORLD - AND I JOIN IN

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I guess I need to listen to Daimonion again. I don't remember it being that similar to VNV Nation.

My favourite from around that time though is Eon:Eon. It's ... comparatively poppy?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

poo poo I better start liking VNV Nation if they sound like Daimonion-era Project Pitchfork, then :confused:

Nah, I guess I can kiiiiiinda get where you guys might be getting that comparison, but I just associate VNV so strongly with the arpeggiated trancey synths and Ronan's vocals that I just can't compare it with, say, the title track of Daimonion, which in many ways sums that particular album up pretty well.

edit: For the record, despite my hilariously rabid love for PP I understand that the band's music might not be for absolutely everyone!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 22, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Don't worry, you can get Ronan Harris and Peter Spilles in the same song!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

This is gonna get really lovely really quickly. Kind of like "Antibody."

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Fans are idiots.

edit: This probably includes myself
edit2: That's the only loving attitude that an artist should have if they're willing to call themselves real artists. Might have to look into this guy's music now.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 22, 2013

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I was (and still am) in love with 'A Violent Emotion'. Then came 'All Beauty Destroyed'.. then I was on a cruise with them for a week, after which they were officially perma-banned by the agent who set it up.. then came the new singles. I had such high hopes for AP.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

If Trent Reznor can cope with it (and apparently stay clean), I'm sure Daniel Graves can manage too.

It's lovely but comes with the territory.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I do agree that lashing out at fans is probably not the best idea, but that's exactly what a real artist should feel like when someone whines about their new direction. Some people just manage to handle complaints in a classier way.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Twiin has a story about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't think he's going in a new direction, though! People complaining about how they miss his "old sound" don't make sense to me, nor do people defending the changes he's supposedly making. "Antibody" doesn't sound stylistically different to me from anything else, he's done, it's just a surprisingly weak song. I'm baffled as to why he decided to release it as a single, but I don't expect it to signal any kind of sea change going forward; I heard "Dead Ringer" from the new album and I liked it.