Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrackedWindow
May 25, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

Yea the first handful of episodes are a little names-character heavy since everyone is being introduced. Eventually the major players will get enough screen time and become easily recognizable, and anyone else of note will continue to get little name/title popups in the subs when they show up after a long absence. If you're grabbing subs I recommend getting the ones by Central Anime. They've been subbing this show for like 10 years at this point and seem to have gotten the style/tone of the characters down to a science at this point. Also don't watch episodes 1 and 2, replace them with the movie Overture to a New War as it is much better paced and provides a smoother introduction to the show in general.

Interesting. So episode 3 picks up right where the movie ends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's more that the movie ends in more or less the same spot that episode 2 does. But yes, I would also recommend skipping the first two episodes to watch both movies and then start with episode 3.

CrackedWindow
May 25, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

It's more that the movie ends in more or less the same spot that episode 2 does. But yes, I would also recommend skipping the first two episodes to watch both movies and then start with episode 3.

What's the second movie i should watch? I know the first one is "Overture to a New War". What do the movies show more of in (i'm guessing)180 minutes that the first two episodes cover in 45 minutes?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's in the OP!

quote:

This is the generally recommended viewing order:

Movie 1 - My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Movie 2 - Overture to a New Battle (Replaces Episodes 1 and 2)

Main Series (Episode 3 to Episode 110)

CrackedWindow
May 25, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

It's in the OP!

Sorry, my bad. I'm guessing i should watch "Overture to a new battle first".

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

CrackedWindow posted:

It would not be a bad place to start, though:

Man of Wax posted:

This is the generally recommended viewing order:

Movie 1 - My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Movie 2 - Overture to a New Battle (Replaces Episodes 1 and 2)

Main Series (Episode 3 to Episode 110)

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

The first film, My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, does a lot of good world building and introduces you to a smaller handful of critical characters out of the gate as well as gets everything in place for, Overture to a New Battle, which, iirc, picks up in a slightly chaotic moment with a lot more characters tossed at you and less establishment of the setting to get things rolling.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

CrackedWindow posted:

How does the manga compare?

It's a lot more shoujo styled and it was either heavily biased toward the Empire PoV or entirely Empire PoV, I can't really remember, I haven't looked at it in a few years. It's one of those things I wouldn't recommend bothering with unless you're bored and want a supplement to the anime. When I last looked at it the manga kinda cut off after the first segment of the show, about episode 26, which seems to be the common endpoint for any shorter adaptation of the series (the first stage play, the Takarazuka show, etc).

If you want a more fabulous rendition of the show, the Takarazuka production is fantastic.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CrackedWindow posted:

That is chronologically first, so if you don't mind a slightly longer ramp up narratively then absolutely do the 2 movies followed by ep3 and on. Basically the series starts off with the characters referencing this big battle that just took place, and My Conquest is that battle. The only issue I've ever had is that those first 2 movies are pretty similar thematically so watching them back to back can feel slightly redundant. That's picking some nits tho, it's all good content and we all envy you just getting to watch it all for the first time, and without month-long breaks between episodes at that :argh:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Good_Haro posted:

If you want a more fabulous rendition of the show, the Takarazuka production is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8M9O4Ckvbg&hd=1

Live versions of LOGH are in general fabulous.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 9, 2013

CrackedWindow
May 25, 2013
Got round to watching "My Conquest is The Sea of Stars". Definitely intriguing. It seems that the Empire are a bit easier to sympathize with but i'm sure this will change as i watch. I'm sure Wen-Li isn't the only smart guy on the opposite side.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well no, the FPA has a Pirate Commander too :yarr:

e: And, slightly spoilerific if you know what to look for Charles Motherfucking Bronson.

Although Edwin Fischer gives them all a run for their money with his uncanny ability to go "NOPE" to any poo poo the Empire top admirals try.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 9, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I just started watching this last month and I'm on episode nine (I don't have enough spare-time to devote to anime in between shitposting) and this is going to ruin space-operas/animes for me forever isn't it? This, so far, has been, like, the creme de la creme of scifi television. BSG quality, even.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel comparing it to BSG is an extreme disservice to LOGH. LOGH at least had a well executed ending.

Also I keep thinking I have heard the new BSG was inspired in part by LOGH, but maybe I'm thinking of a different show's team that claimed it was inspired by LOGH.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel comparing it to BSG is an extreme disservice to LOGH. LOGH at least had a well executed ending.

Also I keep thinking I have heard the new BSG was inspired in part by LOGH, but maybe I'm thinking of a different show's team that claimed it was inspired by LOGH.

Yes it will ruin any space opera-like shows for you in the future. I can't even see myself watching another show of this type because what's the point? I started at the top, why bother going down from there? And the political back-and-forth machinations blows anything in BSG right out of space. It was a cool show and all but even the writers admitted they were just making stuff up towards the end.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
According to the playlist i have for LOGH, after episode 54 there is a movie called LOGH: Golden Wings. Do i even need to watch this, because it is really odd.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can skip that one. It's unnecessary and not very good.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

UberJumper posted:

According to the playlist i have for LOGH, after episode 54 there is a movie called LOGH: Golden Wings. Do i even need to watch this, because it is really odd.

I am not quite sure how that movie got in your playlist.

Don't watch that.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Alright thanks.

DamnGlitch posted:

I am not quite sure how that movie got in your playlist.

Someone posted a 165 part playlist on youtube of LOGH, which seems to be the exact same subs/videos as the first few episodes from the torrent. So i have been watching it on that.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Well. Wow. I don't really know what to say.

This was one of the most engaging series I have ever watched. Period. Be it anime or otherwise. The only anime I am a fan of is the original Macross.

Everything about this wast fantastic, and my only complaint is that it ended at 110 episodes.

Just amazing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's pretty great isn't it? It makes me wish the gaiden series were less... I dunno, over important? I'd simply like to see more but with lowered stakes. They feel a bit more like fan fiction than plausible 'this happened befoooore there series!' entries.

The two Reinhard and kirchiess ones I watched were definitely like that. Were the Yang ones any better? (I only watched those two and the animation + sort of weak stories put me off the rest).

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I liked Yang's spiral labyrinth arc, it is mostly him doing some investigative work while finding his place in the FPA. It is no way as epic as Reinhardt's rise through power, you could say that about most of the show but these don't even compare in scope seriously.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

TK-31 posted:

I liked Yang's spiral labyrinth arc, it is mostly him doing some investigative work while finding his place in the FPA. It is no way as epic as Reinhardt's rise through power, you could say that about most of the show but these don't even compare in scope seriously.

Yeah, spiral labyrinth is not exactly action packed. Yang does a lot of the same "let's solve a mystery" poo poo that Reinhard and Kircheis do, although at least it fits his personality a bit better. I kind of like the later gaidens where Reinhard actually commands some spaceboats and there's some characters other than the dynamic duo.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Just finished watching it today and I gotta say I totally understand why this show has so many ardent fans. Even if it's still silly anime often IF ONLY KIRCHEIS WAS STILL ALIVE it's the kind of thing that leaves a sincere impression.

I probably have nothing new to say but this thread is too big for me to read it all just to see if I'm not being obnoxious repeating tired opinions. So welp, bear with me here. I felt like Oberstein was a great character, I was really looking forward to his shenanigans since his first appearances. But I don't know, after like 1/3 of the series he almost disappears and his brief appearances since then are so unsatisfying. Characters keep talking about him all the time going like "drat you Oberstein!" but he's doing literally nothing for us the audience to see!

So yeah, that's my one big LOGH criticism: Not enough Oberstein.

^^btw thanks Under 15 (Helsbecter) for telling me about LOGH!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Under 15 posted:

Yeah, spiral labyrinth is not exactly action packed. Yang does a lot of the same "let's solve a mystery" poo poo that Reinhard and Kircheis do, although at least it fits his personality a bit better. I kind of like the later gaidens where Reinhard actually commands some spaceboats and there's some characters other than the dynamic duo.

The first half of Spiral Labyrinth, especially the parts on Econia, are great. Keffenheiler and Patorichev are both highly entertaining side characters, and I love Yang's rambling, internal monologue. It was also kind of sad seeing him and Jessica in more context. The two obviously had a great deal of affection for the other, but both of them were simply too shy to ever say anything. That long, silent look he takes before leaving for Econia says it all, really.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I assume the prequel stuff is unlicensed as well? Is there a link somewhere for those?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like CA just recently put out the gaidens in 720, I haven't seen them so I can't speak to the quality, but they're here. They never released DVD versions of these episodes the way they did the rest of the series so everything before this was laser disc rips I believe.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Awesome, thank you very much.

I don't know any Japanese, but I have to ask. Is it yareyare that Yang and others say all the time? That and Teitoku! and Kakka! are going to stick with me forever after watching the show.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Vermain posted:

The first half of Spiral Labyrinth, especially the parts on Econia, are great. Keffenheiler and Patorichev are both highly entertaining side characters, and I love Yang's rambling, internal monologue. It was also kind of sad seeing him and Jessica in more context. The two obviously had a great deal of affection for the other, but both of them were simply too shy to ever say anything. That long, silent look he takes before leaving for Econia says it all, really.

Yeah, it's just that I think it's kind of lame to have a whole subseries where Cazellnu is Yang's dungeon master, desperately trying to level his stupid rear end up before the series starts for real. Yang's whole deal is that he does the things that only he can do, and absolutely nothing more; you get a hint of it in his backstory with El Facil when Lynch deserts the planet, and it starts for real when Paeta gets hurt in the first episode and Yang finds himself in charge. I think they introduce and kill Lap off so quickly just to demonstrate that other people can't escape from Reinhard, even if they are talented and smart, and that Yang and Reinhard are special people. Any time someone else could do it, in Yang's case, they do - like Merkatz retaking Iserlohn. Seeing Yang in that kind of format, where he isn't really a Hero or Eiyuu or whatever, is kind of awkward. At least for Reinhard it's a little better because his life as a hero starts the night he decides to enter the military academy.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

reagan posted:

Awesome, thank you very much.

I don't know any Japanese, but I have to ask. Is it yareyare that Yang and others say all the time? That and Teitoku! and Kakka! are going to stick with me forever after watching the show.

Yep that's what I've always heard. It's sort of a casual 'oh man' type phrase that helps establisy Yang's easy going/passive personality. "What's that commander? Reject my genius plan for a casualty-free victory and instead go with the tried-and-true 'face off and shoot at each other until one side dies' strategy? Yare yare here we go again :shobon: "

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I doubled back and started to watch "My Conquest" after reading the post on watching order a few posts up and the battle outside Iserlohn Fortress racking up over 2 million casualties on one side in only a few minutes of fighting is absolutely ridiculous. :wtc:

Yang, Reinhard, please end this drat war.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I absolutely adore the scale of the war and appreciate the grim dark of the ep around 50 with all the gore. It's totally detached from most of the rest of the series and can be jarring true but it shows crystal clear how individually brutal war in space is on a micro scale and not just ships popping. It forces the viewer to see just what the cost is and not just expansive numbers

It's why WWI is so fascinating to me, on that note. Absolutely brutal human toll. Hundreds of thousands of deaths in a day on some field in europe for no gains at all.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Under 15 posted:

Yeah, it's just that I think it's kind of lame to have a whole subseries where Cazellnu is Yang's dungeon master, desperately trying to level his stupid rear end up before the series starts for real. Yang's whole deal is that he does the things that only he can do, and absolutely nothing more; you get a hint of it in his backstory with El Facil when Lynch deserts the planet, and it starts for real when Paeta gets hurt in the first episode and Yang finds himself in charge. I think they introduce and kill Lap off so quickly just to demonstrate that other people can't escape from Reinhard, even if they are talented and smart, and that Yang and Reinhard are special people. Any time someone else could do it, in Yang's case, they do - like Merkatz retaking Iserlohn. Seeing Yang in that kind of format, where he isn't really a Hero or Eiyuu or whatever, is kind of awkward. At least for Reinhard it's a little better because his life as a hero starts the night he decides to enter the military academy.

I always thought the series was trying to contrast the history of great leaders, especially in times of war. Men like Reinhard, Trunicht and von Reuenthal become leaders by seizing power while those like Yang, Kircheis and arguably Mittermeyer become leaders by being at the right place at the right times. It's not that people can't escape Reinhard, it's that Reinhard goes out of his way to collect good talent.

Lapp's death shows how war changes every conception we have about how society should work. Those who are good husbands, highly moral and extremely talented men who had great careers ahead of them die just as easily as who are untalented and immoral. Even people who are at the peak of human physiology like Ovlesser and von Schönkopf fall just as easily as your average grunt and the cuts to the random deaths during the big battles really highlight this point.

That said, someone like Reinheid, as the ubermensch, would have always forced their way into global leadership but had circumstances changed, Yang would have found a cushy academic position and Kirchesis be an awesome primary school teacher :3:.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
So I finished the show the day before yesterday and just finished reading the thread as well.

A lot has been said about this show already and I am a bit at loss as to what to add. That being said, there are so many things that are still worth pointing out. Like Poplan squad's alcohol-themed callsigns. Schenkopp/Schönkopf being amazing (yes, people mentioned that already; not often enough). Mittermeyer being a bro (and objectively the best Imperial admiral :colbert:)... The list goes on.

Perhaps most important, however, is the fact that Adrian Rubinsky is literally Lex Luthor in space. Just look at him. And it explains a lot, doesn't it? Especially his dead man switch. Having noticed that when he first showed up has definitely coloured the way I perceived his character through the series. :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That last bit is one of my least favorite things in the whole show, just seems a little too comic book supervillainy compared to everything else staying relatively realistic or at least believable. What if he like tripped in the shower one day? Dick move Rubinsky, dick move.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
It was certainly one of the weaker parts, though not as bad as the Terraists, in my opinion (still, both Lex Luthor and the Terrorists have served their plot purpose and more importantly, allowed Oberstein to reconfirm how awesome he is). To be fair though, I think he probably installed that relatively recently before it came into play. And besides - well, he's Lex, which made it more funny than stupid to me at the time, even though it was kind of both.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He's a huge egotistical jerk. Of course he'd do something like that just so he gets the last word.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

That last bit is one of my least favorite things in the whole show, just seems a little too comic book supervillainy compared to everything else staying relatively realistic or at least believable. What if he like tripped in the shower one day? Dick move Rubinsky, dick move.

Rubinsky in general is kind of one of the crappy parts of the show for me since the whole behind the scenes mastermind deal (at least as its presented) comes off like that. His manipulations from a position of power are not that bad, but once Reinhard goes "pfft Phezzan, gently caress these guys let's just take it and let them try and stop us" (which I thought was actually pretty cool) he just sits around drinking in a country villa with his mistress gloating about how he totally planned various events and his plans not having the desired result is totally accounted for in the plan and he's got more up his sleeve!! I might be exaggerating a bit but I guess I just think he's boring because he rarely actually does anything interesting and just talks about what he did after the fact.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
There were plenty of offscreen moments in there that at once make sense in terms of pacing and still feel like missed opportunities. We don't get to see Lang's family or Lang being anything other than a pettily evil bastard, all that many examples of Merkatz, Fischer or Murai in action, etc. Those may have reasonable thematic explanations, but I still wouldn't have said no to more stuff about them. The worst offender by far is Oberstein, though - many of his greatest moments were all something he did offscreen: outfoxing the Black Fox of Phezzan by having the foresight to make backups of critical data, tracking down and arresting Lex Luthor and tricking the Terraists into launching an unnecessary and suicidal attack in a final bout of house-cleaning. In all those cases we only get to hear about the results - or witness them firsthand in the last case, I suppose. I guess it's fitting in a series that's ultimately about leadership, ideology, space battles and the more overt kind of politicking, that the shadowy vizier's manipulations would pretty much all happen behind the curtains, except when he needs to persuade someone directly. But it's still something of a shame.

I already know that I am not alone in wanting an Oberstein Gaiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

If I'd change one thing it's the Terranists being such anime Evil/Crazy/Corrupt Cultists. Phezzan is supposed to be pretty drat rich, where's all that money going*? They've been planning that poo poo since forever.

But nope, they just get curbstomped the moment any of the powers actually bother to look their way and go :crossarms:

What I'm saying is, give them a proper fleet (hiding out somewhere, Phezzan or Earth) and a leadership that aren't a bunch of drug-addled alcoholists**. But this *is* Japan, so if there's one side that's not gonna get a nuanced look it's the Religious folks.

*Evidently into Purple Robes, sandals, knives and drugs.

**Yeah yeah Rubbinsky, but what the gently caress did he do?