Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I did not know a new Max Steel show came out until today. Wasn't a fan of the original but this new one sure is different.

Also in a perfect world, There'd be more seasons of Spectacular spider-man, Wolverine and the x-men, and Avengers:EMH; the second season of EMH would be better and all three shows would be connected in the same universe.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Max Steel has been airing for a while but it's not very good. But hey, Max Steel has never been very good. The most notable thing about the 2000 version was that it was the first work the main Roughnecks/Starship Troopers Chronicles studio had after Troopers ended but even trying their hardest they couldn't polish a toyetic turd.

Well that and right after 9/11 Cartoon Network censored all uses of the word "terrorist" in their showing and that was nearly every other word in that show, including the intro, so the effect was hilarious.

Also Spectacular Spider-Man is re-airing on CW Saturday mornings starting next weekend, August 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BjF3i-dvPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KB64WiLmbg

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 11, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Thompsons posted:

I don't get why they bothered using the Ultimate universe for the show instead of just setting it up as some generic whatever-universe. Like you have Ultimate Fury, Ultimate Green Goblin and so on but then you get to Deadpool and it's just wacky Wade Wilson as opposed to actual Ultimate Deadpool.

Would you rather have actual Ultimate Deadpool? He was some generic cyborg on Mojo Island, wasn't he?
Anyway, I never really saw the universe as the Ultimate universe; they just share the name. There's lots of difference from the show and the Ultimate Comics, and I'd rather have alterations to a character if it means they'd fit better within the universe. Not that Ultimate Spiderman is a prime example of masterstrokes in writing characters, it's just that it borrows different elements from a number of versions of Spiderman for a fresh experience; kind of like how Spectacular Spiderman handled the Green Goblin. Also Ultimate Fury is EVERYWHERE. I mean, isn't he a character in the Main Marvel Universe as well?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

horriblePencilist posted:

Also Ultimate Fury is EVERYWHERE. I mean, isn't he a character in the Main Marvel Universe as well?

If I remember correctly, then put the Ultimate Fury in the main universe as the regular Fury's son or something like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaunab posted:

If I remember correctly, then put the Ultimate Fury in the main universe as the regular Fury's son or something like that.

Terrible explanation for Nick Fury Jr

Waterhaul posted:

Years ago Nick Fury had a "secret" son that looked like Sam Jackson named Marcus Johnson.
Marcus grew up with his mother not knowing Fury was his father.
Bad dudes killed Marcus' mother so he teams up with his old military buddy nicknamed "Cheese" to find out who did it.
While doing this he finds out that Fury is his father.
And he has the Infinity Formula in his blood because Fury had it in his blood when he banged his mom.
Also bad guys cut out his eye "just cos".
Marcus beats up all the bad guys with the help of his friend "Cheese" and saves the day.
Because of this he and Cheese become Agents of SHIELD.
Daisy finds Marcus' birth cert which says Nick Fury Jr. on it so everybody says his name is now Nick Fury despite the fact that he's like in his 30's.
Also his friend "Cheese" real name is Phil Coulson.

It's all terrible.

Not every writer is happy with this and so one comic has Wolverine sarcastically referring to the character as "Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." every time he has to talk to him.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 12, 2013

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I have a passing knowledge of current Marvel. I haven't really been interested since they gave Wolverine a son, but hey I guess they've got to keep things fresh somehow.

Speaking of Daken, when do you think he'll make his animated debut? You think they'll do something like agents of smash with wolverine and his derivatives?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, he was a villain and is currently dead so I'd say a more likely character to appear would be Ult Wolverine's son Jimmy Hudson.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I forgot ultimate wolverine had a son too. Man I only have an approximate knowledge of marvel stuff.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 12, 2013

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

I wonder how long before they give Deadpool a son.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
A few months ago I rewatched Codename: Kids Next Door on Netflix. But they only had the first three seasons, so I turned to :filez: and got the last few seasons and the special episodes, despite the drop in quality due to most of the episodes being TV rips from 2005-07.

I probably enjoyed the show even more than I did years ago because it has such a sense of creativity and whimsy that I haven't seen in most other cartoon shows. Plus, there were a lot of references or phrases I never really got or appreciated when it first ran. I never noticed the "Doctor Time Space and the Continuums" running joke had actually been a reference to Doctor Who because I had no idea what Doctor Who until about two years ago. I also laughed really hard at the Spinach episode because of the Monty Python and Mel Brooks references.

Of course, it had its share of bad episodes. My least favorite episode by far was about 2 being babysat by a teen girl he had a crush on. Everything starts to develop into action (despite how a big chunk of what happens starts to make little sense, even by the show's usual standards), and then it ends in the most anti-climactic way possible when he wakes up in his bed the same way the episode started.

However, the specials were pretty well done. The Operation ZERO movie isn't a cinema classic, but it does a good job at essentially being what you would expect: an extended episode of the show. The finale is also really clever, and looking back, it's good to see the show actually had a proper end instead of just being dropped by the network when they stopped renewing seasons.

What I can't help but think about when this show comes to mind is how the first episodes of the show establish the KND as outlandish kids that form their own little club and go around fighting adult villains. But then after the episode where they introduce Chad, it becomes canon that the KND is a worldwide organization and that they are answering to higher ups with far larger operative numbers. I sometimes wonder how different the show could have been if they kept it as just operatives 1 through 5 as the protagonists of the show.

Other than that, 3 and 4 had moments in the show that actually seemed downright adorable. I'm mainly thinking of that Star Wars parody episode where the class president goes berserk. At the end when somebody says something lovey-dovey, 4 starts to act disgusted and says that nobody will ever hear him say that to anyone. That leads to 3 groaning angrily at him, shoving him down, and storming off.

I would say the show holds up pretty well and I'll probably buy DVD season box sets should they ever come around.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Magnus Condomus posted:

I wonder how long before they give Deadpool a son.

There was already a Kidpool at one point, wasn't there? Although I'm pretty sure some alternate universe bullshit was involved, I think that was when Deadpool mania was at its peak and a whole team of 'em was running around.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SirSigma posted:

A few months ago I rewatched Codename: Kids Next Door on Netflix.

I don't know how much of it is just me growing up and how much is actual quality, but when it comes to Cartoon Network's original programming there's about a half-decade stretch between the start of Samurai Jack and the start of Chowder that is just a total dead zone to me. I don't know if it was behind-the-scenes network politics or what, but just about everything they made in that stretch either forgettable or hugely flawed to me. The only thing I even really remember enjoying about KND was when they had one episode explaining the origin of the war between children and adults that was almost a shot-for-shot remake of The Second Renaissance from The Animatrix. Same with Billy and Mandy, I must have watched every episode they put out at the time and all I remember is that one episode was a giant Dune parody and they had a small recurring character voiced by the dude in my av.

It's also kind of hard to go back to that era's animation, because it's at that awkward point where they had abandoned traditional animation but the computerized animation they were using hadn't quite caught up. Especially early-00s Nickelodeon, when Klasky-Csupo was at its most disgustingly deformed and Jimmy Neutron existed.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

McSpanky posted:

There was already a Kidpool at one point, wasn't there? Although I'm pretty sure some alternate universe bullshit was involved, I think that was when Deadpool mania was at its peak and a whole team of 'em was running around.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kids Next Door was okay, but the thing I never liked about the later seasons was how all the worldbuilding of the whole KND organizations was just made up on the fly, and it was pretty clear that the writers were all making it up on the spur of the moment as opposed to planning anything out.

There was some good writing, but I think most of the writers cared more about references and parodies than about the actual show they were working on. I haven't rewatched the show, but as I remember, something like 90% of the show was composed of parodies of movies, shows, and genres.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kids Next Door was okay, but the thing I never liked about the later seasons was how all the worldbuilding of the whole KND organizations was just made up on the fly, and it was pretty clear that the writers were all making it up on the spur of the moment as opposed to planning anything out.

There was some good writing, but I think most of the writers cared more about references and parodies than about the actual show they were working on. I haven't rewatched the show, but as I remember, something like 90% of the show was composed of parodies of movies, shows, and genres.

One episode stands out when talking about all of this. I don't remember the title of it, but essentially is was 1 basically doing a parody of "The Second Renaissance" from The Matrix which also had a cameo of a kid in an Ash outfit from Pokemon. The ideas in that story, while mostly thrown out, had a few retained if I recall correctly and brought up later.

Also, loaded with references and made up on the fly, that's how one would describe a typical tabletop RPG campaign.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Xelkelvos posted:

One episode stands out when talking about all of this. I don't remember the title of it, but essentially is was 1 basically doing a parody of "The Second Renaissance" from The Matrix which also had a cameo of a kid in an Ash outfit from Pokemon. The ideas in that story, while mostly thrown out, had a few retained if I recall correctly and brought up later.

Also, loaded with references and made up on the fly, that's how one would describe a typical tabletop RPG campaign.
I remember that cameo from the episode as well. It was probably the most obvious example, but I'm pretty sure that kid in the Ash outfit showed up again in the Operation SAFETY episode from season 6. Only thing is that he's in the background so you actually have to look for him.

There was also a kid with glasses on several episodes of the show who seemed to serve as a background character who had purple and yellow hair that reminded me of Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh (which was also popular like Pokemon), but at the same time I didn't think it was really a cameo because the kid had glasses on.

It was a flawed show for the most part because of how they seem to make things up without planning them out, but I could tell the makers of the show at least had fun working on it, and it did show.

Something else I couldn't help but notice on my revisit of the show was how nobody ever says the word "impossible". Instead, they say "unpossible", and there's no explanation given as to why everybody says it. People say it so non-chalantly like "No way! That's unpossible!" or "Step right up and see the unpossible!" I sometimes wonder if the writers thought that the word would catch on.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I don't know how much of it is just me growing up and how much is actual quality, but when it comes to Cartoon Network's original programming there's about a half-decade stretch between the start of Samurai Jack and the start of Chowder that is just a total dead zone to me. I don't know if it was behind-the-scenes network politics or what, but just about everything they made in that stretch either forgettable or hugely flawed to me. The only thing I even really remember enjoying about KND was when they had one episode explaining the origin of the war between children and adults that was almost a shot-for-shot remake of The Second Renaissance from The Animatrix. Same with Billy and Mandy, I must have watched every episode they put out at the time and all I remember is that one episode was a giant Dune parody and they had a small recurring character voiced by the dude in my av.

It's also kind of hard to go back to that era's animation, because it's at that awkward point where they had abandoned traditional animation but the computerized animation they were using hadn't quite caught up. Especially early-00s Nickelodeon, when Klasky-Csupo was at its most disgustingly deformed and Jimmy Neutron existed.

Kids Next Door was one of those shows I actively hated. I hated the voices, the design, the animation, and especially because during that dead zone you mention they played that loving show all the time. Every time I'd turn it to that god damned station it was either that or Totally Spies or that other show with the kids with gigantic foreheads. That was also the point where they started putting in live action programming, along with Adult Swim going full retard with their "wacky random monkeycheese poo poo for stoned teenagers" era.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

raditts posted:

or that other show with the kids with gigantic foreheads.

I think I was still in the target demographic when that show started. Believe it started airing on Toonami when they were airing cell saga for Dragonball Z, and the rest of the Toonami lineup was like, Tenchi Muyo, Gundam series of the year, Outlaw Star, Big O, Zoids, and then loving Code Lyoko.

It's like the loving Johnny Test of anime.

e: show started airing States-side in 2003 so more around when DBZ was in Buu saga I guess.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Sockser posted:

I think I was still in the target demographic when that show started. Believe it started airing on Toonami when they were airing cell saga for Dragonball Z, and the rest of the Toonami lineup was like, Tenchi Muyo, Gundam series of the year, Outlaw Star, Big O, Zoids, and then loving Code Lyoko.

e: show started airing States-side in 2003 so more around when DBZ was in Buu saga I guess.

Nope. Code lyoko was on the poo poo toonami replacement maguzi. They made it after kicked toonami to saturdays because CN is retarded. Also code lyoko isn't actually anime, its french fake anime.

Also that toonami lineup is '01 or '02, youre way off.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Fake french anime is the worse. Didn't like KND because like it's been said the world building was made up on the fly so every time I saw it I ended up over thinking a war between kids and adults. It and Billy and Mandy seemed to stand out at the time not because they were good but because they were the only things CN was airing at the time that wasn't total poo poo.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Sockser posted:

I love any excuse to post this

For those who don't get it, it's all the lyrics from the theme song :v:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I liked Code Lyoko. :shobon:

I mean it wasn't the greatest show ever but it was kind of fun. Sort of reminded me of Reboot in some way. Then again I was in the age group that show targeted when it came over here so maybe that had a reason to why i found it good. Then again I found poo poo like Totally Spies to be good at times too, I had very poor taste back then.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gaunab posted:

Fake french anime is the worse.

On the other hand, Wakfu.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Between the wakfu stuff and Oban. French cartoons aren't so much university poo poo as the ones that are picked up for us are the bad-to-middling ones.

Hell the Doofus (wakfu prequel) cartoon is pretty great.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Dragon Hunters is another nifty French show that didn't get nearly as much love in English-speaking countries as it should have.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Apparently cartoonbrew columnist C. Edwards thinks nickelodeon treats their viewers like idiots. I got a good laugh out of it.

quote:

In the Nick Studio 10 spots, a pair of hyperactive tweens scramble from one studio cubicle to another to chew the scenery with unidentified mononymous animation “experts” with names like “Bret,” “Ciro,” and “Claudia”. The entire experience results in a headache-inducing panderfest that is desperately trying to connect to its youth demographic.

The direction of this presentation style is the polar opposite of Cartoon Network’s recent profiling of their upcoming slate of auteur-driven, character-based properties from smart, hipster-ish millenials. While CN is at least making an effort to nurture bright ideas from the next generation of talent, Nick hopes to distract from rebooted ideas and threadbare concepts with quick cuts, dubstepping ducks and rectally-focused gags that take the form of toilet plungers, cow farts and “booty kicks.”

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 15, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If nothing else I got a kick out of how one of the columns on the ratings chart read "DUR".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nickelodeon and Nick Jr. have made shows that are loud ADHD-inducers for well over a decade and they show no signs of stopping. They could have had Adventure Time.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
^^^It probably would have been different.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was just thinking that I'm pretty glad Cartoon Network are the ones that picked up Adventure Time over Nick. Maybe it would have been the same show but it's hard to say for sure.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Y-Hat posted:

Nickelodeon and Nick Jr. have made shows that are loud ADHD-inducers for well over a decade and they show no signs of stopping. They could have had Adventure Time.

Cartoon Network would never, ever make a show with “booty kicks”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U008nGT0eww

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
God I love Titan soo much.

Anyway one thing I remember reading about jimmy neutron. Was that when they made the movie. They still had all the assets so they could just recycle the assets to make the tv show. Which honestly makes alot of sense.

Sorta like back to the barn yard.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Cartoon Network would never, ever make a show with “booty kicks”.

The difference is that in Sym-Bionic Titan, that's not the punchline.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SirSigma posted:

Something else I couldn't help but notice on my revisit of the show was how nobody ever says the word "impossible". Instead, they say "unpossible", and there's no explanation given as to why everybody says it. People say it so non-chalantly like "No way! That's unpossible!" or "Step right up and see the unpossible!" I sometimes wonder if the writers thought that the word would catch on.

Ralph Wiggum reference?

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

As of august 20th, Johnny Test will reach 100 episodes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

There's people that like Total drama, an people that like code lyoko, and people who like 6teen and people who like Mad and people who like Problem Solverz

But I don't think I've ever heard one person say they could even put up with Johnny Test as background noise.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can put up with it as background noise.

Also Problem Solverz ruled.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thelaughingman posted:

As of august 20th, Johnny Test will reach 100 episodes.

Wow, only 100? I thought there were like, 1000. Because every time I walk into a room where it's on, I never see a repeat. It's always a new flavor of horrible.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

TwoPair posted:

Wow, only 100? I thought there were like, 1000. Because every time I walk into a room where it's on, I never see a repeat. It's always a new flavor of horrible.

I remember there was a time where the same episode played three or four times in a single week. So you must've gotten lucky.

Of course this was when the series had started airing on CN and I was young enough to be tolerant of it as background noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Total Drama Island. What's the appeal of a reality show where you can't at least pretend real people are that ignorant.