Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poparena posted:

Continuing my very slooooow blind-read through the Ranma 1/2 manga with my review of Volume 3.
As someone who's read the whole thing I must ask:

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Thank you for the messages about Checkers earlier in the thread. It's appreciated.

Thought I'd stop in and say that Ninja the Mission Force Season 2 is being uploaded onto Dark Maze Studios' new website, Neon Harbor! Here's the first ep if you're interested:
http://neonharbor.com/ninja-the-mission-force-bruce-fights-back-from-the-grave/

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

This new Miley Cyrus song and her accompanying image reaffirms my belief that she is headed the way of Lindsey Lohan, and fast.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

quakster posted:

As someone who's read the whole thing I must ask:

why

Because I am literally getting paid money to do so.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cannot Find Server posted:

This new Miley Cyrus song and her accompanying image reaffirms my belief that she is headed the way of Lindsey Lohan, and fast.

I doubt it, she's just partying like every other rich white girl her age. I haven't heard about any drug busts or arrests.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I get the feeling "bad girl" Miley Cyrus is all a marketing thing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
so Egoraptor did a videogame review after eating a full Habanero Pepper

it's a bit of an uncomfortable watch, at first it's funny but somewhere along the line (at around the 2:30 mark) Arin begins to suffer and weep uncontrollably and suddenly the whole thing begins feeling like youre witnessing and actual emotional breakdown.

I know it's meant for comedy, but I think it got a little too 'real' for a second there.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 13, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Film Brain is subjecting himself to a bunch of lovely Adam Sandler/Happy Madison flicks and he just got to Jack & Jill. Poor guy even had to suffer through Going Overboard which is so bad even Sandler doesn't credit it on his official website.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I relate it closer to Christina Aguilera's "dirrty" phase.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mokinokaro posted:

It very very very clearly is. Her desperate marketing of herself as 'wild' is embarrassing in it's levels of desperation. It's not helped by the fact that We Can't Stop is one of the most boring and plodding pop songs I've ever heard. And this is from a guy who loves a ton of pop music.

She ain't no Ke$ha :colbert:

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I have watched we can't stop several times with friends to show them how odd it is. I have seen it mocked on tv shows and the internet. Yet the song is so unmemorable I can't recall how it even goes minutes after watching it. Party in the USA had more staying power.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

Bad girl Miley is a really creepy reinvention because so far what I've seen of it means 'Miley hangs out with black people'.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Bad girl Miley is a really creepy reinvention because so far what I've seen of it means 'Miley hangs out with black people'.

It's just economic use of your money to find the cheapest and easiest way to make sure your target audience's parents don't like you without actually tarnishing your image. And she already tried the "shocking" hairstyle route.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
So Mega64 did a new video on angry video game reviewers. And it is glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPAITAuuk-8

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Zeether posted:

Film Brain is subjecting himself to a bunch of lovely Adam Sandler/Happy Madison flicks and he just got to Jack & Jill. Poor guy even had to suffer through Going Overboard which is so bad even Sandler doesn't credit it on his official website.

I actually liked his video. Red Letter Media took a step back from the film itself and looked at it more as a business expense or product; Film Brain dug into the nitty gritty of the movie itself. That shot he posted of the production crew having the football game on TV was really telling.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So has anyone actually watched either of Spoony's lengthy new Counter Monkey videos? I'm vaguely interested, but don't want to waste time on a video of him rambling about nothing while flipping through books again.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Maremidon posted:

So has anyone actually watched either of Spoony's lengthy new Counter Monkey videos? I'm vaguely interested, but don't want to waste time on a video of him rambling about nothing while flipping through books again.

The second one is a bit better than the first. There's a couple minutes of explanation, but most of it's pretty interesting. I skipped the first ten minutes of the first video and it was fine.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

It very very very clearly is. Her desperate marketing of herself as 'wild' is embarrassing in it's levels of desperation. It's not helped by the fact that We Can't Stop is one of the most boring and plodding pop songs I've ever heard. And this is from a guy who loves a ton of pop music.

She ain't no Ke$ha :colbert:

I actually really like the video, but yeah the song is super dull and not memorable. If they kept that same video style gave her some trap beats and let someone like frank ocean write her songs I can see that taking off.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Rap Critic and Kyle Kallgren review Jay-Z's new song "Picasso Baby"

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

I really enjoyed this review. I enjoy both of their work individually, and they happened to compliment each other very well here. Two great tastes that taste great together!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks a lot, Spoony. I know half a dozen people who would love a dice tower.

He talks about them in his newest Counter Monkey and damned if those things don't look cool as hell.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Newest Cheapskate Review is here, in which I watch a Cinemax-type sleaze fest from the 21st century, Pineapple.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Al-Saqr posted:

so Egoraptor did a videogame review after eating a full Habanero Pepper

it's a bit of an uncomfortable watch, at first it's funny but somewhere along the line (at around the 2:30 mark) Arin begins to suffer and weep uncontrollably and suddenly the whole thing begins feeling like youre witnessing and actual emotional breakdown.

I know it's meant for comedy, but I think it got a little too 'real' for a second there.

Ohhh boy and if he thinks habaneros hurt going IN. I'm sure he had a very unpleasant morning and his bathroom walls are scratched to all hell.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Yeah, let's be clear here. He could be weeping for his lost years and it'd be entirely a consequence of how unpleasant he was feeling physically, not some 'what am I doing with my life' epiphany. Although there's no stopping that from coming later. Those are... not meant to be eaten like that for people without abnormally iron capsaicin tolerance.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So Angry Joe Review Dragon Commander.

It's nice to see a game tackle politics like this, too bad the comments are crawling with MRAs.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Rantasmo talks about Gayson Bourne.

Something interesting, but there seems to be a thing these days where we're more willing to admit that a lot of esteemed writers were straight up misanthropic assholes. Maybe it's just on my mind because Saving Mr. Banks is coming out and a lot of people are mentioning it about P. L. Travers. Apparently she wasn't terribly fond of other people and generally spent her career bitching about how she wasn't getting the recognition and money she felt she deserved.

Either way, I think Rantasmo's best point in here is the difference between the "psycho homo" trope and a character pushed over the edge by the pressures of living in the closet.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh gently caress! New Half in the Bag - The Wolverine vs X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

This is going to be so good. :allears:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I'm surprised that the guy who talked passionately about how a series of movies should be consistent in tone, not rely on incredibly stupid plot contrivance, have good scene blocking and pacing, and at all costs avoid excessive, lovely-looking CGI, liked the first Wolverine movie.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Robert Denby posted:

I'm surprised that the guy who talked passionately about how a series of movies should be consistent in tone, not rely on incredibly stupid plot contrivance, have good scene blocking and pacing, and at all costs avoid excessive, lovely-looking CGI, liked the first Wolverine movie.

Except he only liked it in a so-bad-it's-good sense. Well, they both did, it's just that Mike said he was more entertained by Origins's badness than by the new one.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I'm more interested in the Mr. Plinkett cliffhanger...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Killing Vector posted:

Except he only liked it in a so-bad-it's-good sense. Well, they both did, it's just that Mike said he was more entertained by Origins's badness than by the new one.

Film is better if you saw the leaked copy. Then it goes from "So bad it's good" -> "Downright amazing".

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

LFK posted:

Rantasmo talks about Gayson Bourne.

Something interesting, but there seems to be a thing these days where we're more willing to admit that a lot of esteemed writers were straight up misanthropic assholes. Maybe it's just on my mind because Saving Mr. Banks is coming out and a lot of people are mentioning it about P. L. Travers. Apparently she wasn't terribly fond of other people and generally spent her career bitching about how she wasn't getting the recognition and money she felt she deserved.

Either way, I think Rantasmo's best point in here is the difference between the "psycho homo" trope and a character pushed over the edge by the pressures of living in the closet.

Really good, conscise episode once again! I was actually thinking about recording my episode on The Talented Mr Ripley soon, because it was on the shelf, but I think I might be looking at something else next episode instead. In my last episode, on Blue Velvet, I mentioned the difference between "evil gay characters" (as in their homosexuality is added to make them seem more..creepy), and characters who are evil/horrible, and just happen to be LGBT, but Rantasmo raises another point - characters whose morally awful nature is almost understandable, due to the awful situation in which they find themselves in. I'd say the character who's the most like this currently would be Thomas on Downton Abbey, who definitely has his fair share of nasty, jerkish moments, but has been systemically marginalised and will never be accepted for what he is.

And yeah, that swimsuit really is something else.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2014

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Jesto posted:

Not gonna lie, Spoony's Dark Tower video is amazing. I would've killed for something like that as a kid, it's just so drat cool - especially since you can play it alone. It's a shame so few of them still work, I wonder if there's an online recreation of it?

On the other hand, his dice video is somehow even more boring than his last video. I can't imagine many people want to hear a guy talk about dice for over an hour, or even twenty minutes. I guess he ran out of tabletop stories. :(

Actually, most of my gamer friends were blown away by the dice towers when I showed them.

And I agree with you on the Dark Tower game; that looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

UninterestedWisdom
Aug 7, 2013

Killing Vector posted:

In, that case you can defiantly say that the first was more memorable with how awful it was, if that makes any sense. The second one was just really forgettable.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Spoony is starting to look more and more like Gollum as the series goes on

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

LordPants posted:

Film is better if you saw the leaked copy. Then it goes from "So bad it's good" -> "Downright amazing".

What's the difference between the two versions?

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

What's the difference between the two versions?

The workprint copy is missing a lot of effects, so you see partially finished animatics and maquettes, actors wearing mocap markers, wires, crew, equipment, the final colour grade isn't finished, and so on and so forth. So you're watching a movie that's already dumb enough in a hilarious way, then all of a sudden an actor turns into a foam replacement, or there's obvious wires, or there's no sound effects, or it cut to some completely untextured CGI animatic where all the trees are just grey triangles.

It's just an extra level of absurd hilarity.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I found a short sample that gives a pretty good idea of what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

miscellaneous14 posted:

I found a short sample that gives a pretty good idea of what it's like.

The first time I saw the movie (on TV) I coulda sworn they were using the workprint. I mean, no way in hell would the effects be that bad, right? I mean, Wolverine's claws look so shittily rotoscoped. loving Roger Rabbit looked better than that more than a decade ago, and they were going for intentionally cartoony!
Nope, it was the full version.

• Locked thread