Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
In FSX how can I start a freeflight with everything cold?

No matter what position I start in, even parked at a gate, the engines are already running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

No matter what position I start in, even parked at a gate, the engines are already running.

The starting state is saved with the save file - in this case, the save file designated as the initial flight.

So, without any other programs, the way to get cold and dark is to setup the flight you want, then turn everything off, then save it as your initial flight.

From that point on that will be your saved state, even if you change a/c or airport.

Another way is to use "SimLauncher" and set it to cold and dark in there. But if you use FSX windowed, then that brings with it the 'when FSX is started by another program, it will not start in windowed mode properly' bug.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

In which I kill 14 Egyptian planes

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

Or to give you another option, see the "cold and dark" saved game here: http://simviation.com/fsxmisc1.htm

That's what I've always used.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Daimo posted:

Or to give you another option, see the "cold and dark" saved game here: http://simviation.com/fsxmisc1.htm

That's what I've always used.

Thank you, friend.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So I'm wanting to get one of those little MFD-type screens to use as an ADI for X-Plane 10. What all do I need: the button overlay and the screen itself? If it's a cheaper/easier route, I'm considering buying an android tablet for use. All I really want on it is the primary flight display.

bloops fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 13, 2013

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So with regards to DCS on Steam:

9 August 2013 - DCS News Update posted:

We are also working with Steam to improve our presence there by: allowing activation of DCS Steam products from key purchase sources other than Steam; enabling Overlay, play time tracking, and achievements; and we hope to take advantage of Steam Workshop for items such as missions and campaigns.
So we'll probably be able to activate our poo poo eventually.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

holocaust bloopers posted:

So I'm wanting to get one of those little MFD-type screens to use as an ADI for X-Plane 10. What all do I need: the button overlay and the screen itself? If it's a cheaper/easier route, I'm considering buying an android tablet for use. All I really want on it is the primary flight display.

I don't have any actual experience with this but I came across it while looking at other X-Plane stuff a while back:

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.baltazar.XPlaneRemotePlus

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I just bought two of these off Ebay

http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-720-s

About $60-70 a peice (one touch screen, one non touchscreen)

The only thing you'd need is a little bit of double sided tape to make sure the display doesn't move around when you touch the screen

Otherwise it works great!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sappo569 posted:

I just bought two of these off Ebay

http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-720-s

About $60-70 a peice (one touch screen, one non touchscreen)

The only thing you'd need is a little bit of double sided tape to make sure the display doesn't move around when you touch the screen

Otherwise it works great!

Nice.

Is there a guide or could you tell me how to get the ADI to a second monitor? I'm thinking of just using a tablet with airplay enabled.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

X-Plane I am not sure at all, I know in FSX you can just pop the guage out into a window and drag it down into that monitor.

The specific one I linked and have, the Mimo 720, plugs in and is detected as a monitor.

So it can be setup anywhere on your virtual desktop you like, and can move the mouse into it as such

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Can you take the stand off for mounting purposes?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Nice.

Is there a guide or could you tell me how to get the ADI to a second monitor? I'm thinking of just using a tablet with airplay enabled.

For X-plane, use this: http://xhsi.sourceforge.net/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Daimo posted:

Can you take the stand off for mounting purposes?

I believe so, I haven't tried it ... but have seen the same units being sold with 4 hold backing plates for mounting to walls etc

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I hope PMDG release the T7 soon just so I don't have to read the loving AVSIM forums again for another year.
Seriously, I thought the irc channel was spergy as gently caress....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Diet Crack posted:

I hope PMDG release the T7 soon just so I don't have to read the loving AVSIM forums again for another year.
Seriously, I thought the irc channel was spergy as gently caress....

I just click on Tabs' or Robert's user names in the main forum and search for their posts. I don't really read anything else in there.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 15, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just follow pmdg on Facebook. They said there wouldn't be a stealth launch so they will likely advertise it through there.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

sellouts posted:

Just follow pmdg on Facebook. They said there wouldn't be a stealth launch so they will likely advertise it through there.

For the release date that's fine, but I like seeing some of the update posts, too.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
For people who are even just mildly interested in learning/setting up FSX and playing/bs'ing with goons as you fly around, hop in the irc and mumble in US evenings. We've been flying a lot and have been having a pretty good time with it.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Mederlock posted:

For people who are even just mildly interested in learning/setting up FSX and playing/bs'ing with goons as you fly around, hop in the irc and mumble in US evenings. We've been flying a lot and have been having a pretty good time with it.

I second the motion. I've been screwing around in there in the evenings and I have already learned a ton and had a good time. Come join us!

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Is there some sort of way to sync up Prepar3D with a google maps/earth type application so I can see an overview of where I am flying? Would love to be able to pinpoint exactly where I am and that top-down view doesn't have any labels.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
I use FSmovmap on my android tablet and its great.
If you dont have an android tablet you could try the windows client but i never used it so i dont know how it works.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're talking about Prepar3D so i dont know if it works with it, but if the base for Prepar3d is FSX maybe it works ?

Micr0chiP fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 16, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We're planning a VATSIM introductory group flight for Sunday at 2359Z (about 7PM CDT) for a few IRC newcomers who wanted to dive in. Other goons are also welcome.

I'll be controlling ACT - Waco Regional Airport. Goon-run, no stress, no moderators/supervisors. Updated airport files for FSX are here, but are not required

Here's a guide for basic VFR/ATC interactions.

Hope to see a few new folks there. Don't plan on setting up VATSIM from scratch just prior to the event. Chat with us much earlier in the day, if not sooner, to get it set up. You may not be successful in setting up the VATSIM clients if you wait until last minute, it's not a totally straight forward process.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 18, 2013

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
What's the best wireless joystick? Preferably one that could be picked up at a brick-and-mortar store.

The Logitech freedom seems to keep coming up, but it's quite old and I doubt I could pick one up at a best buy or computer store.

deck
Jul 13, 2006

We're all wired in this mission-critical semi-pro simulation experience.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Micr0chiP posted:

I use FSmovmap on my android tablet and its great.
If you dont have an android tablet you could try the windows client but i never used it so i dont know how it works.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're talking about Prepar3D so i dont know if it works with it, but if the base for Prepar3d is FSX maybe it works ?
Hmmm. That looks suspiciously like I have to pay for it. I am after a free solution - sorry I should have mentioned that. Even something simple that displays my GPS coordinates in game so I can enter them manually into google maps would be good enough.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It says freeware. He accepts donations. What am I missing?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

The Ferret King posted:

It says freeware. He accepts donations. What am I missing?

The windows client isn't.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Haha. What a dickhead. Did I miss it or does the appstore description not mention that at all?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Trying DCS, and realistic jet sims for the first time. "World" isnt done downloading, but career mode is the meat and potatos of any good sim for me, would the pay SU-25 sim be worth getting? Its the cheapest plugin on steam. How is the career mode of this and DCS at large?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Trying DCS, and realistic jet sims for the first time. "World" isnt done downloading, but career mode is the meat and potatos of any good sim for me, would the pay SU-25 sim be worth getting? Its the cheapest plugin on steam. How is the career mode of this and DCS at large?

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha DCS career mode that's a good one.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What he's trying to say is that playing DCS campaign mode is literally akin to pounding your balls with a rock repeatedly. DCS, and most military sims for that matter, are only ever really worth playing in a multiplayer setting.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Silent hunter's multiplayer is terrible, i much prefer the campaign mode. Rise of flight also i think has a fantastic campaign. Thats the last sim i came from. Overall i do prefer single player in most games.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's some good user made single player missions for DCS (not for the su-25 though, moreso A-10C and Black Shark 2), but other then that it sucks for SP play.

BookaT
May 29, 2003

Mederlock posted:

What he's trying to say is that playing DCS campaign mode is literally akin to pounding your balls with a rock repeatedly. DCS, and most military sims for that matter, are only ever really worth playing in a multiplayer setting.

But I want to make Captain!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

fuckpot posted:

Is there some sort of way to sync up Prepar3D with a google maps/earth type application so I can see an overview of where I am flying? Would love to be able to pinpoint exactly where I am and that top-down view doesn't have any labels.
I've used Plan-G in the past for FSX, worked pretty well. This forum post talks about setting it up for P3D.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mederlock posted:

The default DCS A-10 campaign isn't bad.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Mederlock posted:

I like the A10C campaign and I had 300 hours in the KA50 campaign. I get a completely different kind of enjoyment from those than what I get from pounding my balls with various minerals, which in retrospect I am not that much of a fan of.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 19, 2013

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Well in that case i gave up on DCS for now and re-installed IL2 1946. I haven't played since 4.09 and i understand most people use mods these days. Could anyone point me in the direction of graphics and gameplay enhancement mods? Especially ones goons use on private servers? I have the steam version.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wait, why "in that case?" I thought people just said the campaigns were pretty alright. Were you looking forward to a more story/structured campaign or something?