Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Well, being really into JRPGs doesn't hurt, but then menus just aren't as much fun as they were when that was about as cerebral play as anyone not on a PC had.

Now they have JRPGs without so much menu play (or at least which hide it drat well) and RPG mechanics are creeping into more action-oriented games so number-pumping isn't the defining factor it used to be.

No, what kills it is when someone brings the better mousetrap. I really, really want to like Radiant Historia and Shin Megami Tensei IV, but coming to them right after finishing Xenoblade was about the dumbest thing I could do videogames-wise, and I got distracted from the former before and I'm worried the first impression that resulted may have permanently soured me on the latter.

SMT IV has an amazing core game built around the worst navigation system ever devised. Assuming a digital god is responsible for that map you should never let that demon live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

While I'm venting, whomever thought up the slimes and wizard enemies for Titania should be punched in the face.

I have an unusual amount of love for nearly everything about Odin Sphere, except for those awful loving slimes.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Poison Pills is okay but I've always been a fan of Explosion Pills myself because their hitbox is stupid huge. I'd honestly put Chisato on S-tier because she can equip Blood Armor and Weird Slayer too, except her attacks generally have a higher base damage than Bowman so her survivability with Whirlwind + Rising Dragon or 10000 Volts + Tear Gas is just ridiculous.

Also she can equip the Algol, which means she can instantly kill any enemy in the entire game except Limiter-Off Indalecio because that fucker doesn't use physical attacks.

She has much more startup and is slower to cast though. Poison/Explosion pills come out in like 1 or 2 frames while Tear Gas and 1000 volts take a bit longer to come out.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've been trying to look at action rpgs with detailed actiony combat. That is more detailed than Diablo style clicking or Secret of Mana style attack spamming. The most detailed is definitely Dark / Demon Souls but I've also looked at Monster Hunter, Witcher 2, Fable 2, Mass Effect, Gothic/Risen, Skyrim, Castlevania SOTN, and the Ys games. Any notable ones I'm missing?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Super Fighter Team decided to release all their rpg for pc. I have know idea how good they are: http://www.trifectapack.com/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've been trying to look at action rpgs with detailed actiony combat. That is more detailed than Diablo style clicking or Secret of Mana style attack spamming. The most detailed is definitely Dark / Demon Souls but I've also looked at Monster Hunter, Witcher 2, Fable 2, Mass Effect, Gothic/Risen, Skyrim, Castlevania SOTN, and the Ys games. Any notable ones I'm missing?

It depends on how action/RPG-y you want to get. The Tales franchise has action-RPG battles but regular RPG exploration for example, so it totally fits the actiony combat element.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not sure if I'd call it an 'action RPG', but the Tales series has a focus on action combat. Fair warning that the plots are JRPG as gently caress and the combat in the early games can be a bit janky, though.

EDIT: gently caress, beaten. Uh, if you're counting SOTN, then most other Metroidvania type games count too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Soul Reaver series has some cool combat, although most of it will seem simplistic by today's standards. There are fewer things more satisfying in this world than beating a vampire into bloody submission, picking up a pike from the wall, and throwing it right through his heart.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

Dragon's Dogma

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

EDIT: gently caress, beaten. Uh, if you're counting SOTN, then most other Metroidvania type games count too.

Probably should have put Guacuamelee and Dust on that list as those are the only two I can think of with particularly stand out detailed combat (defense, combos, etc). Cave Story too though it's kind of its own unique everything.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Any particular Tales game to try? I have a ps3, psv, 3ds, and can run emulators. Since I assume I'm going to be skipping a lot of the story (low anime threshold) story continuity isn't very important.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Probably should have put Guacuamelee and Dust on that list as those are the only two I can think of with particularly stand out detailed combat (defense, combos, etc). Cave Story too though it's kind of its own unique everything.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Any particular Tales game to try? I have a ps3, psv, 3ds, and can run emulators. Since I assume I'm going to be skipping a lot of the story (low anime threshold) story continuity isn't very important.

Tales of The Abyss is on 3ds,and I've enjoyed what I've seen of it (I'm about half way through I think) the plot is seriously anime as gently caress, and would be a lot easier to follow if they just used the words "magic" and "sorcery" instead of their own made up words.

Combat is fun and I like the characters though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Tales of The Abyss is on 3ds,and I've enjoyed what I've seen of it (I'm about half way through I think) the plot is seriously anime as gently caress, and would be a lot easier to follow if they just used the words "magic" and "sorcery" instead of their own made up words.

Combat is fun and I like the characters though.

My favorite is that the fonic arts aka elements are correlated to numbers rather than what element they are and are only refered to them by number. Item descriptions do it too so you have to look at the little symbol in the corner if provided to figure out what its actually boosting.

Not that it matters since Tales of the Abyss is so ridiculously easy on normal that I assume the playtesting group only played in fugue states during drug testing regimens.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

Poison Pills is okay but I've always been a fan of Explosion Pills myself because their hitbox is stupid huge. I'd honestly put Chisato on S-tier because she can equip Blood Armor and Weird Slayer too, except her attacks generally have a higher base damage than Bowman so her survivability with Whirlwind + Rising Dragon or 10000 Volts + Tear Gas is just ridiculous.

Also she can equip the Algol, which means she can instantly kill any enemy in the entire game except Limiter-Off Indalecio because that fucker doesn't use physical attacks.

Poison Pills are non-elemental while Explosion Pills are fire, meaning some enemies can resist or absorb them. Poison Pills forever! :colbert:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

FuzzySlippers posted:

Dragon's Dogma is exactly what you want.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
e. Oh poo poo nevermind!

I'll use this mistake post to say that Ys Oaths in Felghana boss fights are hard as poo poo and I pity anyone who plays this without a gamepad because gently caress.

Also I'm pretty sure this game has the same exact "you got an item" tune as Metroid Prime.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 13, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In response to all the people recommending Dragon's Dogma, be aware that while the gameplay is quite fun, the plot veers somewhere between incomprehensible and incoherent. I barely understood what was going on the whole time, and repeatedly saw characters I had never met being played as if I was supposed to know and care about them.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

cheetah7071 posted:

In response to all the people recommending Dragon's Dogma, be aware that while the gameplay is quite fun, the plot veers somewhere between incomprehensible and incoherent. I barely understood what was going on the whole time, and repeatedly saw characters I had never met being played as if I was supposed to know and care about them.

Capcom game.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

I know Capcom has never been good storytellers almost ever, but Dragon's Dogma was almost aggressively stupid in terms of its main plot. It tries to go into half-baked political intrigue when the overall premise is still "are you a bad enough dude to slay the dragon? Go kill big stuff until you're ready." I usually try to pay attention to what's going on in a game's story no matter what, but DD was just an undiscovered level of "I could not care less about what is going on behind the scenes." All of the political intrigue, backstabbing, etc just did not matter in the slightest compared to the elephant in the room trivializing all of this bullshit (ie, DRAGON RAZING THE LAND), and characters just appeared and disappeared at random like I should care who they are/were.

... And then you get to the last couple hours of the game, where all of a sudden you're thinking "huh, when did the story suddenly obtain the right to be actually interesting?"

With that said, I would still fully recommend it. Flawed as gently caress, but still a really fun game. I would like to see a sequel so the team can iron out a lot of the things that didn't work out so well.

As an aside, the SO discussion got me thinking about probably the only Tri-Ace series that I genuinely liked: Valkyrie Profile! I haven't gone through the first game in awhile, so it might be a ripe time for a replaythrough. Are there any unique advantages/disadvantages in the PSP version besides the added CG cutscenes?

MechaX fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 13, 2013

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

MechaX posted:

As an aside, the SO discussion got me thinking about probably the only Tri-Ace series that I genuinely liked: Valkyrie Profile! I haven't gone through the first game in awhile, so it might be a ripe time for a replaythrough. Are there any unique advantages/disadvantages in the PSP version besides the added CG cutscenes?

It's a port of the Japanese version so it lacks some of the minor gameplay improvements made for the English release:
- Cannot sort items
- Cannot switch characters in the menus using L/R
- Cannot change equipment of inactive party members
- Lenneth's skills are removed when changing equipment

There is also some very minor censorship in the English release not present in the PSP version. For example there is a pentagram in the PSP version when Lezard teleports that was removed for the PS1 English release.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Also Badrach tosses a cigar at the enemy for his finisher in the PSP version, as intended, rather than just shooting them. Too bad literally no one ever uses Badrach.

fake e: can't wait for someone to tell me he's the best and I am doing it all wrong.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
In my mind the story of Dragon's Dogma is, "can I climb on that monster's back? Yes? Gonna go do that then".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

Also Badrach tosses a cigar at the enemy for his finisher in the PSP version, as intended, rather than just shooting them. Too bad literally no one ever uses Badrach.

fake e: can't wait for someone to tell me he's the best and I am doing it all wrong.
Badrach is the best and you're doing it all wrong.

That said I'm pretty sure he still has the dumb shooty super, even in the PSp port.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Doesn't one of his normals fire about a million shots and pop crystals like crazy?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

All that stuff is just fluff. It's a story about your character and how s/he really wants to go gently caress that dragon's poo poo up. All the stuff with the duke and all that is just tagging along so you can get the tools you need to go gently caress that dragon's poo poo up.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just wanted to say a few unrelated things

Dragon quarter
I think this game is amazing. It is easily one of my favorite games. I actually played BoF 1&2 before this one, but it never came off to me as more than a mediocre RPG with a dragon transformation mechanic. This is something completely unique, very well thought out, and put together. Calling it a BoF game was probably a mistake, unless they wanted to call it something like BoF Tactics.

Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria
I absolutely hate this game. To date I would say it is the worst video game purchase I have ever made. Simply put there is too much grinding and too few mechanics. I tried a variety of things to make the combat strategic, and they all failed. The level of your characters simply made too big of a difference in wether they died or not. You simply can't get past the game under leveled, and what's worse is that there are rewards for being absurdly over leveled. The majority of the characters you get being a random selection out of a certain amount of options doesn't help either. In my mind, all it did was reinforce the idea that your approach to combat was irrelevant since there is no way to guarantee some skills will ever be available to you.

Seiken Densetsu 3.
In the PYF best game of all time thread, this was my nominee. It was way ahead of it's time when it was made, and really stands well even by today's standards. Party setup and character advancement is probably the best that I've seen in any game. The combat is fun and well paced. Multiple endings and a very non linear second half are the final touches that makes the game shine.

Return to Krondor
I've never really seen anyone talk about this game. I personally like it, although calling it good might be a stretch. It's a mix of point and click adventure and a classic WRPG. The first three chapters make the meat of the game and are really well done. Chapter five is also pretty good. The rest of the ten chapters are ok, but not really memorable in any way. Overall I like, so if it sounds like your thing, give it a shot.

Safety Scissors fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 13, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Safety Scissors posted:

Valkyrie profile 2 silmeria
I absolutely hate this game. To date I would say it is the worst video game purchase I have ever made. Simply put there is too much grinding and too few mechanics. I tried a variety of things to make the combat strategic, and they all failed. The level of your characters simply made too big of a difference in wether they died or not. You simply can't get past the game underleveled, and what's worse is that there are rewards for being absurdly over leveled. The majority of the characters you get being a random selection out of a certain amount of options doesn't help either. In my mind, all it did was reinforce the idea that your approach to combat was irrelevant since there is no way to guarantee some skills will ever be available to you.

You don't need to grind at all in VP:S. Like, at all. If you found yourself needing to grind it was probably because you were doing something wrong, not because it is necessary. Yes, there are rewards for overleveling certain characters but those rewards are insanely overpowered items are trivialize the entire game. The fact that you said it has too few mechanics and too much grinding probably go hand-in-hand because you were ignoring gameplay mechanics that would have made your life way easier.

If you were dying often, what you were probably doing wrong was:

A) Not using Sealstones properly. Sealstones make a tremendous difference in the games dungeons and you should be setting dungeons up in your favor at every opportunity. This is a major part of success or failure in VP:S and if you found the game too hard it is almost certainly because you weren't using Sealstones properly.

B) Bad positioning. Your character positioning matters a lot and being well positioning can massively decrease the damage you take from enemy attacks. It is in fact often possible to avoid being attacked at all as the game progresses.

C) Not using buffs/debuffs. Buffs and debuffs (especially Guard Reinforce) have significant impact on your character's stats and can tremendous decrease or increase the damage you take.

I've finished VP2 multiple times and aside from the times I wanted to get the super-overpowered items, I've never ever needed to grind. (Not even in the Seraphic Gate thanks to Blue Gale.) But you're seriously flat-out wrong about levels being that important. It's pretty easy to demonstrate too: The game's NG+ feature boosts all enemy stats each time you finish the game, up to 50 times. If levels were all-important than the game would become literally impossible to finish.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 13, 2013

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I found that these things took the game from impossible to barely manageable. If fact, I'd say you forgot one thing - wither. The problem comes in chapter 4-1. Because you're going back through the very first area, you don't have access to seal stones. The enemy boss is an archer with absurd range which almost completely mitigates any advantage you can get out good positioning. Your only guy with wither is gone, while the boss heals for like 50% of his health in one spell. The things you mentioned do make a huge difference, but I needed them just to squeeze by. When they were gone, I found the situation to be hopeless.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You know you can silence bosses in that game, right?

Also you can mitigate his range by drawing aggro with one character and sending the other three at him from the side. This is a pretty common strategy on a lot of bosses, coincidentally. That split party feature isn't there just for laughs!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Safety Scissors posted:

I found that these things took the game from impossible to barely manageable. If fact, I'd say you forgot one thing - wither. The problem comes in chapter 4-1. Because you're going back through the very first area, you don't have access to seal stones. The enemy boss is an archer with absurd range which almost completely mitigates any advantage you can get out good positioning. Your only guy with wither is gone, while the boss heals for like 50% of his health in one spell. The things you mentioned do make a huge difference, but I needed them just to squeeze by. When they were gone, I found the situation to be hopeless.

Missile Protection is one of the easiest skills to get. You can get it from items you buy in shops. It nullifies missile attacks including arrows. His Heal can be silenced and silence can even be inflicted by items so not having a character with Silence doesn't matter. You can also split your party up to draw aggro with one character and attack with others. You can also use the environment to kite him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 13, 2013

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Safety Scissors posted:

Dragon quarter
I think this game is amazing. It is easily one of my favorite games. I actually played BoF 1&2 before this one, but it never came off to me as more than a mediocre RPG with a dragon transformation mechanic. This is something completely unique, very well thought out, and put together. Calling it a BoF game was probably a mistake, unless they wanted to call it something like BoF Tactics.

I also feel the same way. The BoF series always struck me as a bunch of JRPG cliches until Dragon Quarter came along. The problem is that people wanted another glob of cliches, not the difficult dungeon crawl we got. I have a feeling that if it were sold by Atlus as some sort of SMT spinoff it would've had an amazing reception.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I also feel the same way. The BoF series always struck me as a bunch of JRPG cliches until Dragon Quarter came along. The problem is that people wanted another glob of cliches, not the difficult dungeon crawl we got. I have a feeling that if it were sold by Atlus as some sort of SMT spinoff it would've had an amazing reception.

If Kaneko had done the designs for Dragon Quarter the world would be a much better place.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Safety Scissors posted:

Return to Krondor
I've never really seen anyone talk about this game. I personally like it, although calling it good might be a stretch. It's a mix of point and click adventure and a classic WRPG. The first three chapters make the meat of the game and are really well done. Chapter five is also pretty good. The rest of the ten chapters are ok, but not really memorable in any way. Overall I like, so if it sounds like your thing, give it a shot.
I found this in a bargain bin several years ago, probably early 2000s. I'd really enjoyed Betrayal at Krondor, so I gave it a try. However I remember hating it after only a few hours, and putting it back on the shelft.

Later, I ended up re-installing it, and playing it all the way to the end. Go figure. However it didn't leave a very strong impression. Even looking at the "Let's Play" videos on Youtube, I barely remember going through all of that, even though I certainly did.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Safety Scissors posted:

Return to Krondor

I was a huge fan of Betrayal at Krondor when it was released (and it pushed me to read way too much Feist as a kid) but I remember this one got pretty poor reviews back in the day. Despite that I've always meant to give it a try just for BAK nostalgia. Those really slow combat animations look pretty rough to sit through though. I also never tried Betrayal at Antara which it supposed to be closer to BAK just without the license.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In response to VP2, it has a pretty big snowball effect in that understanding the system early gives you rewards that allow you to exploit the system later when you need it.

That said, pretty much the only ways to irrevocably gently caress up a save are to release all your einherjar or skip the optional dungeons that reward you with sealstone pouches. pretty much anything else can be solved with skills and equipment (and not levels, which are by far the least important aspect of a character and only really matter to get you CP and new attacks).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

VP2 is one of the easiest RPGs I think I've ever come across. Shatter the enemy into a billion pieces, rinse, repeat. You didn't even really need to specifically do careful positioning or juggling, just leap through an attack, initiate your own attack, spam all the buttons like crazy.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Bleusilences posted:

Super Fighter Team decided to release all their rpg for pc. I have [no] idea how good they are: http://www.trifectapack.com/

Have any other Mac users picked this up? After getting the download extracted, I double-click on the file to run it, and it just bounces up and down in the toolbar for a few minutes before stopping and getting an 'Application Not Responding' status. If I left-click on it at any point, it just vanishes. Contacted Super Fighter Team for support, and so far they have no ideas. Disappointing, since I was really in the mood for some new Genesis RPGs that weren't Pier Solar.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Goons, help make this entirely arbitrary decision for me.

My PSP ebay purchases just arrived. Which do I play first, based on nothing but your preferences:
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Breath of Fire 3
Final Fantasy Tactics

Go!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Goons, help make this entirely arbitrary decision for me.

My PSP ebay purchases just arrived. Which do I play first, based on nothing but your preferences:
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Breath of Fire 3
Final Fantasy Tactics

Go!

BoF III is going to be the most generic of the bunch. FFT will probably take the longest because even with the patch its not exactly a fast moving game and if you don't understand some basic nuances and tricks it will pound your face into the pavement but if you do know them you'll run roughsod over it. VPL has mechanics and such which can be tricky to suss out what you're supposed to be doing and, personally, I hate time-unit management in games which compounded with "you must sacrifice characters to the gods at the end of a chapter" made me crack open a guide and play with one the whole time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FFT's PSP port is slow as hell, BoF3 is pretty average.

Valkyrie Profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Bleusilences posted:

Super Fighter Team decided to release all their rpg for pc. I have know idea how good they are: http://www.trifectapack.com/

drat, it's about time they did this! Though $20 for three almost definitely bad jRPGs is too steep for me.