Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The only cool ASOIAF quote tattoo would be "Hodor"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
One of those tattoos that say a different word when it's turned upside down:

Sticky / Princes

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
Just below the belly button:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
In my first reread, and I'm barreling towards the end (I think Sam is about to rig an election.) After going through everything with the Red Viper again, I still don't see why he's a beloved character. He's just not there long enough for me to care. Granted, his fight is somewhat cool. But I don't care enough about him or Elia to really feel anything when he's doing his Inigo Montoya routine. The later scene with Arya basically doing the same thing is so much more meaningful.

I'm sure it will be interesting to watch, but it's not even in the top 10 things I care about in season 4.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

rypakal posted:

But I don't care enough about him or Elia to really feel anything when he's doing his Inigo Montoya routine.

Inigo Montoya sings a mean Bohemian Rhapsody. :colbert:

(It was actually a pretty interesting show)

edit: Maybe they could simply get Patinkin to play the Viper?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

edit: Maybe they could simply get Patinkin to play the Viper?

1980s Patinkin would have been perfect. He can play Doran instead.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

He's too interesting to play Doran.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Homeland Patinkin seems perfect for Doran, why not make him interesting considering how cool his "fire and blood" speech was? Too bad Quentyn got the crispy treatment and nullified that, but as posited earlier his role could be reduced drastically/cut.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fog Tripper posted:

I am looking for a man with six little fingers on his hand.

I am sorry to disappoint you with my posting but please believe, I hold you in the highest regard.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Homeland Patinkin seems perfect for Doran, why not make him interesting considering how cool his "fire and blood" speech was? Too bad Quentyn got the crispy treatment and nullified that, but as posited earlier his role could be reduced drastically/cut.

Quentyn literally turned into fire and blood by the end, so he actually lived up to his daddy's words quite well.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
As if Quentyn is actually dead and not secretly riding one of the dragons and wreaking havoc in the countryside.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just you wait. Not-Dead Aegon is actually a secret Martell, because the Martells saw the children play by the water and noticed they all look the fuckin same anyway.

Absolutely noone but Doran and Areo Hotah will ever know, and then they both die.

The end

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

ShaqDiesel posted:

If I were a girl I'd get one that says "if your pink mast is glistening, I'm a-listening."

That'd make a better bumper sticker or T-shirt, like "My only weakness is your secret sweetness"

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

So I finally played the GoT board game at my game group last night and picked the Gayjoys and everything was going swimmingly (I went for the Neck instead of the Stony Shore like a true boss and paid off the Lannisters for the first bit) until I attacked my bud in Rivverrun and he orchestrated a full on campaign to take me down from like 6 holdings to 2 by the end of the game, even though most of the battles would have been draws. 3 on 1. Felt like a loving flayed dick Theon.

Also, thematically the game is dumb because it is only the power balance/characters from the first (maybe second) book. Barffff.
e: even though the krakens are all there, wtf.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Imagine, if you will, Khal Drogo.

What is it the Magister Illyrio says about him? That Dothraki must cut off their braid when they are bested in combat, and Khal Drogo's braid is so very long as he has never been defeated?

Have you ever wondered why? What purpose does that braid serve? What does a Khal even do with that braid, anyway?

http://youtu.be/ymKLymvwD2U?t=20s

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 12, 2013

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rypakal posted:

In my first reread, and I'm barreling towards the end (I think Sam is about to rig an election.) After going through everything with the Red Viper again, I still don't see why he's a beloved character. He's just not there long enough for me to care. Granted, his fight is somewhat cool. But I don't care enough about him or Elia to really feel anything when he's doing his Inigo Montoya routine. The later scene with Arya basically doing the same thing is so much more meaningful.

I'm sure it will be interesting to watch, but it's not even in the top 10 things I care about in season 4.

I think it's cause we all fuckin' hate Gregor.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

rypakal posted:

captain platypus posted:

I think it's cause we all fuckin' hate Gregor.

Pretty much, but more generally I think it's because you get the idea that he's this larger-than-life, almost heroic figure, wandering across Essos, forging links of a maester's chain and then loving off because that's boring, poisoning the poo poo out of people, etc, and when he shows up he makes it clear he's smart and he's pissed and he's going to gently caress things up for some very powerful assholes that the audience also dislikes. And then his pride and overconfidence gets his face smashed in :v:

But one thing I noticed on my re-reads is that ASoIaF is full of those sort of characters. You've got Mance who climbs the Wall and sings to his mortal enemies, Marwyn who sets off on his own to parts unknown and comes back the only maester who knows what's going on, Drogo who must have been the most awesome raider the Dothraki have ever seen, Robbie who is kicking so much rear end offscreen his wolf is going feral because it's tasted too much human blood, Varys and Illyrio who apparently held an entire city in the palms of their hands--people who almost seem like they could have their own little heroic fantasy novels to themselves. I like it; it makes the setting feel (for lack of a better word) epic.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

HaitianDivorce posted:

But one thing I noticed on my re-reads is that ASoIaF is full of those sort of characters. You've got Mance who climbs the Wall and sings to his mortal enemies, Marwyn who sets off on his own to parts unknown and comes back the only maester who knows what's going on, Drogo who must have been the most awesome raider the Dothraki have ever seen, Robbie who is kicking so much rear end offscreen his wolf is going feral because it's tasted too much human blood, Varys and Illyrio who apparently held an entire city in the palms of their hands--people who almost seem like they could have their own little heroic fantasy novels to themselves. I like it; it makes the setting feel (for lack of a better word) epic.

This is why Feast/Dance is so disappointing. GURM builds a world full of alpha people you wish would just do something because of how cool they are. Instead, we get Quentin, beta male for the ages.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I finally finished Feast/Dance this summer and came to the realization that I can't really care about any of the plans made by characters in the books because they will always end in utter disaster. It's an entire series where everyone is losing but nobody's winning to the point that whenever a new plotline is introduced I just immediately start imagining exactly how it's going to go horribly wrong. I can handle failure in a story and I understand that conflict is what makes stories interesting, but watching every single character fail miserably in every chapter is boring in the same way that watching them win in every chapter would be boring.

Just once in this series I want to read about a plan that's executed competently.

"And then Jon took off his stab-proof vest and flew a dragon to King's Landing where he became the best monarch ever. The End."

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
I think Littlefinger seems to be sort of winning.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
You know, off the top of my head Sam seems like a standout POV character in that he often accomplishes what he sets out to achieve. Besides the birds, anyway. He acclimated into the Night's Watch, saved Gilly, killed an Other, politic'd Jon's way to Night's Watch commander and is now on his way to become a Maester/Wizard. Dude's surprisingly effective.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Holy Calamity! posted:

You know, off the top of my head Sam seems like a standout POV character in that he often accomplishes what he sets out to achieve. Besides the birds, anyway. He acclimated into the Night's Watch, saved Gilly, killed an Other, politic'd Jon's way to Night's Watch commander and is now on his way to become a Maester/Wizard. Dude's surprisingly effective.

It's almost like he's the Mary Sue.

I'm a few chapters into a Ball of Beasts now, and I'm violently angry at how Martin split these books up. Tyrion is much less annoying when you haven't had a whole book to cool off from his betrayal by Jamie/Shae and murder of his father. Even though I objectively knew when I read Dance that it took place immediately after the end of Storm, emotionally I could never really make that connection.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I think that the Tyrion chapters in A Dance with Drag Queens suck, is because they are really, really bad, bland and boring.

And stupid, even if it doesn't start with a B

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Holy Calamity! posted:

Yet his chapters are perhaps the most tedious in FFC until he finally reaches Oldtown. And after all that he's been through, he still sputters about being a craven in every conversation. I loving hate Sam.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

rypakal posted:

It's almost like he's the Mary Sue.

Mary Sue isn't quite accurate though. A Mary Sue would be fawned over by everyone else as being totally wonderful and would succeed though simply being so much better and smarter than all the other characters. Sam has achieved something special: the books are completely honest and upfront about what a useless, pig-poo poo thick, cowardly, gluttonous, friendless lump he is, about how he is only capable of engendering the emotions of hatred, disgust and pity in those he encounters, but always have him succeeding due to dumb luck and the sacrifices of better people. He will outlive everyone else, but through no ability of his own. Heck, he may even try to kill himself a couple of times but fail at that too. He'll just bumble in glassy-eyed terror from one situation from the next as GRRM cackles madly from his throne of pizza.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

CaptainRightful posted:

Yet his chapters are perhaps the most tedious in FFC until he finally reaches Oldtown.
To be fair, so are all the other chapters in that book except for Cersei's and one or two of Brienne's.

AFFC (excluding the fantastic Cersei arc) should be retitled ATOT (A Tome of Tedium).

Joramun fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 14, 2013

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Joramun posted:

To be fair, so are all the other chapters in that book except for Cersei's and one or two of Brienne's.

AFFC (excluding the fantastic Cersei arc) should be retitled ATOT (A Tome of Tedium).

This is why I don't understand the assertion that ADwD is the worst book in the series. Surly it's at least better than AFfC. God AFfC was a slog. I actually think ADwD is better than ACoK (which I don't care for) too but I understand that would be disparaging the sanctity of the much adored "original" three books.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I went back to AFFC and liked it a lot more, I went back to ADWD and woke up in a hospital suicide watch ward.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Ogmius815 posted:

This is why I don't understand the assertion that ADwD is the worst book in the series. Surly it's at least better than AFfC. God AFfC was a slog. I actually think ADwD is better than ACoK (which I don't care for) too but I understand that would be disparaging the sanctity of the much adored "original" three books.

All the books are equally horrendous. Some are just more equal than the others.

ADWD is equalest

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ogmius815 posted:

Nah ADWD is the worst. AFFC was boring but could have been elevated by ADWD like CoK was SoS, but instead we got Dany making GBS threads water.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ogmius815 posted:

If you like the Ironborn plots, AFFC becomes downright magnificent. Victarion 4 lyfe.

Fargo Fukes posted:

He'll just bumble in glassy-eyed terror from one situation from the next as GRRM cackles madly from his throne of pizza.

I laughed at this because I am sitting in a comfy leather chair, which I would describe as throne-like, with a pizza box on my lap with which I eat cold pizza from. Also I am eating with one hand and typing with the other leading me to make many spelling and grammar mistakes that I have to correct, consequently making it take for-loving-ever to write anything.

Truly I must channel the GRRM when I read this thread.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

If you like the Ironborn plots, AFFC becomes downright magnificent. Victarion 4 lyfe.
I'm all for Victarion, but he didn't really hit his :black101: stride until ADWD. Jaime was the best part of AFFC for me, as he basically filled in "snarky Lannister bro" for Tyrion. And despite their chapter disparity in ADWD, it's clear that Jaime will be retaining that position until UnCat kills him off next book and Tyrion remains unfunny.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fargo Fukes posted:

Mary Sue isn't quite accurate though. A Mary Sue would be fawned over by everyone else as being totally wonderful and would succeed though simply being so much better and smarter than all the other characters. Sam has achieved something special: the books are completely honest and upfront about what a useless, pig-poo poo thick, cowardly, gluttonous, friendless lump he is, about how he is only capable of engendering the emotions of hatred, disgust and pity in those he encounters, but always have him succeeding due to dumb luck and the sacrifices of better people. He will outlive everyone else, but through no ability of his own. Heck, he may even try to kill himself a couple of times but fail at that too. He'll just bumble in glassy-eyed terror from one situation from the next as GRRM cackles madly from his throne of pizza.

I wouldn't say he's completely useless. He's fairly smart and he knows how to read which is more than you can say for the majority of the night's watch. He's even got a little bit of cunning to him what with managing to get Jon elected commander.

It is frustrating that he goes through loving hell and still doesn't change a whole lot, though. I mean I guess he's a bit more confident than he used to be but not by near as much as you'd think his experiences would warrant.

e:

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'm all for Victarion, but he didn't really hit his :black101: stride until ADWD. Jaime was the best part of AFFC for me, as he basically filled in "snarky Lannister bro" for Tyrion. And despite their chapter disparity in ADWD, it's clear that Jaime will be retaining that position until UnCat kills him off next book and Tyrion remains unfunny.

Jamie is quite honestly my second favorite character now (favorite being the Mannis of course), and I hope he avoids a grisly end.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Blind Sally posted:

AFFC got much better after reading ADWD. The Ironborn got much more interesting on re-read as well. Especially Euron who randomly kills Pyat Pree and feeds him to the other Warlocks from Qarth.

According to GRRM Aeron's first chapter is TWOW is incredibly twisted.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

geeves posted:

Especially Euron who randomly kills Pyat Pree and feeds him to the other Warlocks from Qarth.

Well, he either killed Pyat Pree or force-fed another Warlock to Pyat Pree - it's never established that Pyat Pree was the one Euron killed.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

geeves posted:

AFFC got much better after reading ADWD. The Ironborn got much more interesting on re-read as well. Especially Euron who randomly kills Pyat Pree and feeds him to the other Warlocks from Qarth.

According to GRRM Aeron's first chapter is TWOW is incredibly twisted.

When the two books are intermixed the balance and flow of slow chapters vs fast chapters is much better. Individual characters don't feel like a slog because you get more time away.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I think Robert is still a better self-insert for the gurm, because he ended up being killed by something he wanted to eat.

Dany might be another candidate. She hasn't done anything for years and might be leaving Meereen after football season. Also tummy troubles.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Well, he either killed Pyat Pree or force-fed another Warlock to Pyat Pree - it's never established that Pyat Pree was the one Euron killed.

It was my understanding that this happened before Dany went to Qarth, and so that it wouldn't have been Pyat Pree.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vigilance posted:

Jamie is quite honestly my second favorite character now (favorite being the Mannis of course), and I hope he avoids a grisly end.
This is the only acceptable order for favourite characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Holy Calamity! posted:

I'm reading storm again, and I forgot this because in my head I seemed to remember Grenn or someone saving him, but he actually overpowers Small Paul Wight with his fatness and kills him by stuffing a torch into his mouth.