Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Is it wrong to hope the Russians dominate just to see the waves of panic that result?

It would join MC02 in "the US military can't actually beat anyone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Godholio posted:

Is it wrong to hope the Russians dominate just to see the waves of panic that result?

No I just assumed that's what everyone is hoping will happen.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Why the gently caress did I keep scrolling at the end of that to read some comments.

Either way, this looks like it'd be a freaking awesome competition. It'd be awesome if they got most of NATO and former WP states in on it as well, kind of a tanking olympics.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Stultus Maximus posted:

It would join MC02 in "the US military can't actually beat anyone"

Truly the best war game.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I'd like to see the North Koreans bring their Not-T-72s Pokpung-Ho's.

e: This is what $100 million being flushed down the toilet looks like:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Boeing-YAL-1A-%28747-4G4F%29/2299688/L/&sid=97374028a29c0a2b8c161cec95f50877

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 13, 2013

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I'd like to see the North Koreans bring their Not-T-72s Pokpung-Ho's.

e: This is what $100 million being flushed down the toilet looks like:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Boeing-YAL-1A-%28747-4G4F%29/2299688/L/&sid=97374028a29c0a2b8c161cec95f50877
Are they seriously gonna scrap it and not just mothball it until Iran gets nukes and the ABM money comes flooding in?

Nog
May 15, 2006

Pufflekins posted:

It's beautiful how precise those fuckers are. If they can find a way to drop the price to about 10k a round instead of ~50k, people will be less hesitant to call in danger close missions.

No one cares about price when they shoot excal, and it's not price that's keeping some scared-as-poo poo PL who is having his poo poo pushed in in an ambush from calling in a danger close mission. It just takes 3000 years to put together a strike package, and you won't get approval for danger close from anything less than a 3 star.

But seriously, if you deploy, you'll fire loads of excal. Every gun on our COP had to fire at least some excal every month just for calibration purposes or something.

Then when they have an actual reason to fire it, the artillery dudes go loving bonkers over it and fire like 8 rounds. Of course, two of them have to fail way out in the middle of Wehateamericans Khune, and now someone has to go out there and find retrieve the rounds, and it sure as gently caress isn't the fat arty dudes going out there to do that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Epiphyte posted:

Are they seriously gonna scrap it and not just mothball it until Iran gets nukes and the ABM money comes flooding in?

It's a proof of concept, not an operational system. To even use it in a real situation, we'd have to know hours in advance of a launch, know roughly where it's coming from (in the case of a submarine launch, particularly). It's also a logistical nightmare, since it's a chemical laser that uses all kinds of hilariously toxic poo poo...compared to the new solid state lasers that are rapidly shrinking in size and are vastly safer.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Epiphyte posted:

In addition to what Godholio posted, it's probably got so much specialized equipment in it that to convert it to a "normal" 747 would probably cost at least as much as it took to build it in the first place. And as much as I think it should just go over to Pima, it's probably got too much classified stuff in/on it to be on public display.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Epiphyte posted:

ABL was a flying science experiment, a nd is being replaced with F-35s with combat lasers (really!). The chemical laser it used is considered a dead-end technology as far as military purposes go; was cancelled because the solid-state laser is way better and only 1-2 years behind in development. The first solid-state laser weapons (LaWS) is anticipated to be operationally deployed next year on USS Ponce.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 13, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Please link me to an article published about the F-35 laser program in the last year.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Lasers! On a plane! :iamafag:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:3:

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Nice shades.
MP-5s are just meant for banana clips. What is this straight poo poo?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

This guy is completely screwing up his submarine traditions, everyone knows you confess your love on halfway night

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Caconym posted:

Nice shades.
MP-5s are just meant for banana clips. What is this straight poo poo?

Old school MP5 mags were straight and much more badass than modern curved mags.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Russians would win the speed test, all the crew gets out of their tank with missing teeth and broken noses and concussions.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Good to see the new Bond movie is coming along nicely.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Mortabis posted:

Please link me to an article published about the F-35 laser program in the last year.
Is last week too recent?
http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130805/C4ISR01/308050014/Air-Force-2027-Fewer-Pilots-More-Drones-More-Challenges

Development emphasis right now is on the laser (it'll be deployed first on ships and vulnerable large aircraft like the AC-130), but plans for integrating the solid state laser into the F-35 are on the Air Force's spending plan despite massive funding cuts; it's simply that important a program. They're pursuing it as a modular technology so that it can be easily upgraded as the technology matures and evolves.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

MA-Horus posted:

Russians would win the speed test, all the crew gets out of their tank with missing teeth and broken noses and concussions.

There's a video from 1917-20 I've been trying to find showing a British tank going over an obstacle about six metres high and just straight dropping to the ground, where it stops. The King, who was reviewing the exercise, goes to have a look and one tanker gets out, according to the later narrator the only one still conscious, although he's so clearly got a concussion that a general comes and steers the king away before the tanker chunders or faints.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Vindolanda posted:

There's a video from 1917-20 I've been trying to find showing a British tank going over an obstacle about six metres high and just straight dropping to the ground, where it stops. The King, who was reviewing the exercise, goes to have a look and one tanker gets out, according to the later narrator the only one still conscious, although he's so clearly got a concussion that a general comes and steers the king away before the tanker chunders or faints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSBMuIbbNRQ

Something almost as close. I'd wager at least one driver broke his legs during that trial, knowing how little space there is down there.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

N17R4M posted:

Something almost as close. I'd wager at least one driver broke his legs during that trial, knowing how little space there is down there.

Yeah, it was almost exactly like the bit where they come over the big mound of dirt, but a sheer concrete drop and in one of these.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro7N7dAmjLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXqF-nLbGWI

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

N17R4M posted:

In the last clip with the large incline, you can see the drivers helmet just give up attempt to gain it's freedom.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
https://vimeo.com/45593328

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the Syrian opposition latest invention, called the Sayidna Omar Gun, firing a 250kg projectile loaded with 120kg of explosives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC_BpdA1iDI

More videos and details here.

I'm also working with ITN at the moment on a couple of productions that should feature all these DIY weapons quite heavily, so I'll post that once it's done and online.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

N17R4M posted:

Love the random dudes just running the gently caress outta the way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

Here's the Syrian opposition latest invention, called the Sayidna Omar Gun, firing a 250kg projectile loaded with 120kg of explosives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC_BpdA1iDI

More videos and details here.

I'm also working with ITN at the moment on a couple of productions that should feature all these DIY weapons quite heavily, so I'll post that once it's done and online.

Is that thing even guided?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

Is that thing even guided?

It's guided by Allah. He's its co-pilot.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

Please post the inevitable follow up video where it detonates on firing and kills everyone around it. Thanks in advance.

:whatup:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Where's Zimmerman when you need him?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

It's guided by Allah. He's its co-pilot.

Should make some "Allah is my co-pilot" bumper stickers and then put them on random cars you find.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

movax posted:

Should make some "Allah is my co-pilot" bumper stickers and then put them on random cars you find.

Then everybody will just assume they're VBIEDs.

Nog
May 15, 2006

Guy on the left is demonstrating good trigger discipline. Good job African militias.

Edit: I should make that my Facebook cover photo

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

Some pretty lovely days to be living in Egypt

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
There were dudes in that truck when they rolled it off? drat.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
I'm gonna hazard a guess that the guy laying on top of the up turned truck was thrown from the bridge. I don't know about you but if I was just in the mother of all roll overs I doubt I could crawl out of the truck THEN get on top of the upturned vehicle, I would just get out then lie on the road thinking FML. Also the driver's door is open as it's getting shoved off so he probably bugged out, got caught by the crowd, beaten and tossed.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
It sucks more for the hundreds of protesters who are getting gunned down by the military and police. Here's one woman getting hit by a ricochet, stray round, or possibly a sniper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ikTgyTuxrI

Listen to the gunfire in the background; they're opening the gently caress up. The military claims that MB supporters are using guns to attack military, and probably some are, but there's not much indication of major armed resistance; no pictures of dead or wounded military/police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

movax posted:

Wouldn't mind dropping the dough to use them on people who park like assholes at work. Every time somebody parks too close to my driver's side, I end up thinking about how satisfying it would be to key them but how huge of a dick move that would be. Stickers would be funnier anyways.

• Locked thread