Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
13k? I dunno, it's not exceptionally low mileage or anything. Not special in the slightest other than it's a 6-speed ZHP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If it's impeccable with all records, at that mileage, I would consider 12-13k tops in my local used market. Probably cheaper elsewhere.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I went to the junk yards in Omaha today and shed a few tears. I need to go back and take photos....

1- A fairly strait E34 535i manual
2- Again, a very strait E34 540i Manual
3- A early 80's 735i manual.

WTF people of Omaha? Sell me your battered beaten stick shift 5'ers.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I noticed on the drive (1996 e36 M3) home from work today in pretty heavy stop and go traffic my heat gauge was up almost against the red. As soon as I started to get out of traffic and hit a normal pace it leveled out but I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this. I'm new to the car and am still learning the clutch/gas as it's a bit different and more powerful than my old e30 so I'm wondering if it's just my over revving on stop/go.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On a side note I found this handy guide to hopefully fix my intermittent AC problem. Sometimes it works just fine others the AC screen goes black or very dim and doesn't respond to any button pushes. Seems this is a common problem and can be fixed with either a solder reflow or swapping out a bad capacitor. I'll have to pull the computer out and try reflowing the capacitor at work tomorrow and see if that fixes the issue. maybe I can even find a .47 uF through hole laying around if I'm lucky, would be nice to have reliable AC.

http://www.macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Popete posted:

So I noticed on the drive (1996 e36 M3) home from work today in pretty heavy stop and go traffic my heat gauge was up almost against the red. As soon as I started to get out of traffic and hit a normal pace it leveled out but I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this. I'm new to the car and am still learning the clutch/gas as it's a bit different and more powerful than my old e30 so I'm wondering if it's just my over revving on stop/go.

Nope. When was the cooling system replaced?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Popete posted:

Same symptom I had a few weeks back.
I'm guessing that it's time for a new water pump, Thermostat, and Cover.
Might as well do a coolant flush and oil change while you're at it.

Don't get the Graf pump. I've seen the lifetime reported to be as low as 5000 miles, and as high at 75,000 miles. That's a HUGE variable you don't want to mess with, I don't believe.

This Fan Delete mod has worked really well for me, even when the ambient air temp is reading 103*F. You can do it without replacing the fan switch, and the only side effect will be that you'll need to run the A/C when it's really hot out. :ohdear:

It's one less thing that can fail catastrophically under the good and take other (inconvenient and/or expensive) things out with it along the way.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 15, 2013

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hmm I was hoping that wasn't the case but oh well better just get it over. Replacing the water pump is that a do-able task for someone who hasn't done much mechanical work? I'm decent with tools and I think it would be a good task for me and pops to tackle over a weekend if I just buy the parts. Unless it is something that you really need to know what you are looking at to get working properly.

EDIT: Well I found a few guides and videos online it looks pretty straightforward, this will be a good first M3 project. Ordered the composite OEM water pump (not Graf! Thanks SA) as it seemed to be slightly more favored over the Stewart High Performance pump.

Popete fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 15, 2013

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Popete posted:

My e36 m3 used to do the same thing. Needed a new clutch fan, hasn't had the problem since.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Kenshin posted:

How many of those were even made? I can't find them mentioned on wikipedia at all.

Uh?

wikipedia posted:

A luxury version, known as the L6 arrived in the USA in 1987 with leather headliner and trim and other accoutrements. It was available only as an automatic.

Basically it was a shark with a leather dash.

But to answer your question, not many.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Popete posted:

Your aux fan (or the temp switch that triggers it) is probably dead.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Car has just under 90k miles on it. I already bought the composite water pump and I'm thinking if I replace that I might as well do the other stuff well I'm in there. I can get the auxiliary fan, thermostat, and fan clutch on turner motorsport all for ~$330 with shipping. Think it would be worthwhile to do them all at once? Or is there anything I can probably skip for now?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ugh, so tired of dealing with special snowflake bimmer owners who think their car is worth 2k over kbb excellent value. This one's not even a ZHP, it's just a sport+premium package. 2001, 5spd. 116k miles. Asking $8k.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

To be fair, KBB is usually bullshit for anything with any sort of enthusiast following. If its in good condition and up to date on maintenance 8k sounds on the high side of reasonable in my market. If he's asking 8, he probably expects to get 7-7.5.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 15, 2013

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Popete posted:

Car has just under 90k miles on it. I already bought the composite water pump and I'm thinking if I replace that I might as well do the other stuff well I'm in there. I can get the auxiliary fan, thermostat, and fan clutch on turner motorsport all for ~$330 with shipping. Think it would be worthwhile to do them all at once? Or is there anything I can probably skip for now?

Might as well do it all now!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

Ugh, so tired of dealing with special snowflake bimmer owners who think their car is worth 2k over kbb excellent value. This one's not even a ZHP, it's just a sport+premium package. 2001, 5spd. 116k miles. Asking $8k.

It's pretty rampant with BMW's especially used or non BMW dealers who don't normally get them for sale. They see the badge and immediately tack on a few grand because someone "upgraded" it with the M sport shifter or something. Then of course there are the delusional private sellers who think their car has been maintained like a museum piece and every little modification adds a few grand because there is no other 325i out there like theirs so you should pay for the privilege. (never mind it has 150k miles)

In my area there is a 2002 E46 M3 with ~65k miles on it that a dealer is selling for $30k, and it's an SMG... I was so sick of seeing it on Craigslist everyday I finally emailed them in frustration telling them to give up cause no one is going to pay that for an SMG. Surprise surprise a month later it's still being spammed everyday for the same ludicrous price.

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 15, 2013

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
....however a "$6k blue book" private party car that has had $5k worth of suspension and other maintenance poo poo taken care of and upgrades installed on it is probably worth $8k though right? Not talking about Rimzz or 20 inch woofers but usable poo poo.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So this is the car in question.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/3940445594.html

To me, it looks like a car in "very good" condition. Sure maintenance records look in order and the paint and leather look great for a 10+ yo car but there's also wheel curb rash and a broken CD player. Am I the one who's wrong thinking it should be closer to $6.5k?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
60k is hilariously early for a clutch... my E46 still had the stock clutch at 180k when I sold it and I beat the everloving gently caress out of that car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

GrAviTy84 posted:

Am I the one who's wrong thinking it should be closer to $6.5k?

Shoot him 6.5 and see what happens. The worst that he can say is no!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3984798427.html

Hell for $6.5k you could get something like this, didn't realize M3 sedans were getting so cheap these days.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Hellrot on black sedans are loving rare as poo poo. 6.5k is a fantastic price for that if it's well maintained and not rusty.

M3s will get much worse mileage than any e46 330 though. The S52 is just thirsty.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Crustashio posted:

Hellrot on black sedans are loving rare as poo poo. 6.5k is a fantastic price for that if it's well maintained and not rusty.

M3s will get much worse mileage than any e46 330 though. The S52 is just thirsty.

I averaged 22 or so all-round. Highway mileage was 26.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah, I'm looking at this car for DD duty. I entertained the idea of an E36 M3 but gas mileage and other factors made me lean E46 330i. Finding one with a manual transmission is such a pain in the rear end though. A 2nd gen Mini Cooper S is also in the running, may just get one of those since 6 speeds are everywhere. Not sure if it's worth the price premium over the 1st gen though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Nobody has posted this yet?

This car is amazing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

revmoo posted:

This car is amazing.

This is pretty good looking, but I'll bet MrChips will say "that's nice, but I'll wait for the M3 coupe thanks."

Oh wait....

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Crustashio posted:

I've got just over a year's data in aCar.
Low: 17.532 (It was winter, the thermostat was stuck open, and it was running pig rich as a result)
High: 27.171
Average (over 51 fill ups and 619.32 gallons): 21.263 MPG
Last (and incidentally, typical): 24.056 MPG

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

On a side note I found this handy guide to hopefully fix my intermittent AC problem. Sometimes it works just fine others the AC screen goes black or very dim and doesn't respond to any button pushes. Seems this is a common problem and can be fixed with either a solder reflow or swapping out a bad capacitor. I'll have to pull the computer out and try reflowing the capacitor at work tomorrow and see if that fixes the issue. maybe I can even find a .47 uF through hole laying around if I'm lucky, would be nice to have reliable AC.

http://www.macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html

Did this fix after work today, the capacitor looked fine so I just removed the old solder which was basically pooled on top of the through hole via and wasn't getting into contact very well with the pin and the via. Getting the main computer PCB out of the plastic housing was a pain it is really snug in there. Worked like a charm though, plugged it in prayed I didn't short anything together on accident and started the car, AC worked flawless!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Kenny Rogers posted:

I've got just over a year's data in aCar.
Low: 17.532 (It was winter, the thermostat was stuck open, and it was running pig rich as a result)
High: 27.171
Average (over 51 fill ups and 619.32 gallons): 21.263 MPG
Last (and incidentally, typical): 24.056 MPG

For reference, this is my lifetime data from my E46 330:

Average: 26.59 MPG
Last: 26.70 MPG
Max: 16.07 MPG (in -26 C with a stuck thermostat and five of six fuel injectors having sprung serious fuel leaks)
Min: 29.66 MPG

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Closed my sunroof when leaving work today. A few minutes later, this happened while I was driving and it totally didn't scare the crap out of me.

What should I do? I've used spray adhesives before, but they tend to seep through the cloth and make a splotchy mess. And I'm not sure how to get access to the back edge of the panel to pull the cloth over it. I suppose I could just take it to an upholstery shop? The main headliner is starting to sag around the sun visors too.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Buy a load of push pins. Cost: $1. Plus, you can design poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheGoatTrick posted:

Closed my sunroof when leaving work today. A few minutes later, this happened while I was driving and it totally didn't scare the crap out of me.

What should I do? I've used spray adhesives before, but they tend to seep through the cloth and make a splotchy mess. And I'm not sure how to get access to the back edge of the panel to pull the cloth over it. I suppose I could just take it to an upholstery shop? The main headliner is starting to sag around the sun visors too.

Spray adhesive doesn't work to stick that back up there because what's failed is the foam layer that's bonded to the headliner material.

The only correct way to fix this is to remove the headliner and scrape all that nasty foam off of the backer board, THEN use your spray adhesive and put on new headliner fabric. You can do this on the cheap with a limited selection of colors from most fabric stores.

Other than that.....staples and/or thumbtacks to keep it up there.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

revmoo posted:

This car is amazing.

Why does it seem like this platform change is far inferior and subdued in regards to looks and performance vs. the previous e46 vs. e92? Am I just not seeing it, or are we basically getting the same performance, a mid-life redesign, and a fancy new "BUT IT'S THE 4 SERIES!" marketing campaign?

Video to go with the above pic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiXx_KvkyGY

King-Kong fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 16, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

It's Phoenix Goddamn Yellow. I hate it already.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

King-Kong posted:

Why does it seem like this platform change is far inferior and subdued in regards to looks and performance vs. the previous e46 vs. e92? Am I just not seeing it, or are we basically getting the same performance, a mid-life redesign, and a fancy new "BUT IT'S THE 4 SERIES!" marketing campaign?

Video to go with the above pic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiXx_KvkyGY

Wait, do we actually know what the new M3/M4 engine is going to be and performance specification?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Stealth Like posted:

Wait, do we actually know what the new M3/M4 engine is going to be and performance specification?

Turbo 6, 450hp/400ft-lbs, no manual, about 100 lbs lighter than the outgoing model. It remains to be seen if it makes fake engine sounds or not yet but the standard wheels are 20" so I'm guessing it's going to be more about the popped collar crowd than enthusiasts.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The F30/32 M3/M4 is a car that interests me in some ways, yet I find completely uninteresting as a whole.

Maybe the M3 coupe will be better :v: (OK I'm leaving now...)

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Turbo 6, 450hp/400ft-lbs, no manual, about 100 lbs lighter than the outgoing model. It remains to be seen if it makes fake engine sounds or not yet but the standard wheels are 20" so I'm guessing it's going to be more about the popped collar crowd than enthusiasts.

Oh. That doesn't sound bad at all. I really don't get why people are so down about it. Who cares what the hell it's called as long as it drives well. A lighter, faster M3/4 is what people are always begging for, and when it's going to be delivered, people are upset. Not to mention with a turbo engine, I bet there will be flashes within a month that raise the output to 500+ hp/torque. The thing is going to be fast as hell.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

A return to the straight 6 is great and those numbers are very nice. Too bad about the transmission though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Galler posted:

A return to the straight 6 is great and those numbers are very nice. Too bad about the transmission though.

Has BMW confirmed that it will be DCT only for all regions including the US? The M5/M6 both have manual transmission options here when they don't anywhere else.