Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pham Nuwen posted:

What should it default to?

The age of consent for whatever region in which it's being used. :colbert:

There's no good default value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Can we talk about documentation for a sec?

I document everything I do in Evernote or a git repository, depending on what I'm doing. Everyone else I work with is horrible at documenting anything.

What do you document? How thoroughly do you document it? What are most people missing in recording changes that are being made?

We have a lot of documentation on our wiki. Most of the time if you ask one of our project leads how to do something, if it is at all complicated he will just say it is on the wiki. At this point we expect most things to be on the wiki.

The problem is that there is so much stuff on the wiki that finding what you want is pretty impossible.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So i was going for lunch...

I leave through the normal secure side door i normally leave from, open the door and the door handle completely falls apart in my hand. One of the younger accountants walks by as it happens and she says "First you wreck a chair and now you hulk the door. Either you need to change what you are eating at lunch or we need to upgrade our fixtures"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
"Hey dilbert remember that super complex vCloud and view environment you built?"
yeah!
"Well apparently VMware has a deployable package they made which basically does the same thing that requires 1/100th of the stuff you did"

I mean it's a bit frustrating but at the same time it is kinda cool I came so close to VMware's setup for the academy classes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

couldcareless posted:

We have some third party people that access our terminal servers and our imaging system. Both require separate non-linked logins, as one would expect.

I just got a very angry email from one of these people because our system isn't set up to remember her credentials.

I broke out the overly polite passive aggressive approach for this one.

At the beginning of the day I create a new branch in git for whatever I am working on.
Any changes I make are recorded in libreOffice writer during the day.
At the end of the day I copy all of those notes on my changes into my nightly commit build.
If the changes are good I commit to master.
Any bugs in any software we are working on get's recorded to the local Bugzilla Server.
Any changes to the code I am working on has my initials, the date/time, and what the changes do/are next to the code I changed.
Any ongoing software changes or feature requests are sent IMMEDIATELY to my boss via email, so he can sign the request.
His email get's made into a PDF and shoved to my backup drive so if anything comes back to me I have a paper trail.

In short, I document a lot. :v:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Sickening posted:

Please update your voice mail message immediately to include all 4 points- Name, with "company", will return your call, for immediate assistance contact the "company" office at (999) 999-9999.

My company tried this. I signed up for Google Voice and said "I got a new cell number, here you go" and gave them that. I met the asinine requirement for a voicemail message with the added (and amazing) benefit that I can turn on Do Not Disturb to filter out everything work-related.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I wasn't paying attention today when I was working on one of our IRD's. I ended up plugging both ends of a network cable into the same switch. Ok, I know that is bad.

But once I did that, I managed to take down every other IRD we have in the racks. The only thing the network port is used for is management, not IP streaming or receiving. But I had seven IRD's of various makes stuck in an infinite power loop. And this was all caused by me not paying attention and assuming that my boss would somehow screw up moving the network cable from one device to another.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

What should it default to? Having a calendar control for DoB is kind of silly but so having any other default date on that calendar.

Valid answers would include:

18 years prior to current date
xx years prior to current date where xx is the average age of a UK adult
xx years prior to current date where xx is the average age of people already in the system.

There is no good default, but the default of today's date is terrible.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Default should be to have no value at all but data validation should prompt at submit if it's a required field.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's just me, but I always feel that entering a date in any form should only require typing numbers in. Calendar entry is always tedious and slow having to click back multiple times to get to a certain year then month. The exception to this is if it is a future date you're typing and need to know what exact day of the week it is.

Obviously, all dates should be entered in the ISO 8601 standard, in week date format.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 16, 2013

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Manslaughter posted:

HEY KIDS! It's time to play "guess which version of the file the client needs!" Be careful, if you choose the wrong one, their system crashes today! Woooo! there is no documentation

- INV_02012011
- INV_07122013
- INV_07192011
- INV_07232013
- INV_08012011
- INV_09192012
- INV_09212010
- INV_10052010
- INV_10212010
- INV_backup
- INV_backup_works
- INV_dont_use
- INV_New_old
- INV_New_older
- INV_old (2)
- INV_OLD (3)
- INV_old

>Dials in through 5 nodes
>Hacks password
>Runs delete program
>Clicks on the one ending 232013
>Disconnects
>Claims 1700 credits

(Sorry, too much Uplink. Someone must've got the reference.. right?)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Did you delete your logs?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Did you delete the logs on the other nodes you connected to to make the trace take longer? If you don't delete the logs on at least the first node in your connection they can back track you...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I remember learning that the hard way :(

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

GargleBlaster posted:

>Dials in through 5 nodes
>Hacks password
>Runs delete program
>Clicks on the one ending 232013
>Disconnects
>Claims 1700 credits

(Sorry, too much Uplink. Someone must've got the reference.. right?)

Stupid uplink. I stole about 3 million credits from a bank account and accidentally got myself into a position where I had no clue what was going on because the difficulty adjusted itself accordingly, which bypassed the entirety of "tutorial LAN hacking".

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Inspector_71 posted:

What the gently caress do people do all day in non-IT fields? How do so many people go literally weeks without realizing that at least one folder on the server that they apparently desperately need has been missing?

:psyduck:

This thread moves so fast I always feel like I'm replying to things that happened a million years ago.

I've had customers ask for backups from 6 months ago because they just realized that a folder is missing and they "really need it!"

How important is it if you haven't missed it since like... Christmas?

We have a 2 week retention period on backups unless you signed up for something different, which of course anybody who would have the foresight to sign up for 4/12/52 week backup retention is paying enough attention to know when a "really important" folder goes missing.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
The best is when a user moved a folder months ago by accidentally clicking and dragging it into another folder. Then they rage about the computer eating the folder and you can't find it on the backups either because they copied it there. Finally after searching you find it and try not to make them look like an rear end.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
A pull request came in:

84,357 lines out
84,357 lines in

One of our devs got pulled up on the fact that his spacing was not matching up to the rest of the code his team is working on. He then proceeded to run a programme on the the entire apps code base to 'standardise the spacing' and wanted it to be reviewed and merged.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Comradephate posted:

This thread moves so fast I always feel like I'm replying to things that happened a million years ago.

I've had customers ask for backups from 6 months ago because they just realized that a folder is missing and they "really need it!"

How important is it if you haven't missed it since like... Christmas?

We have a 2 week retention period on backups unless you signed up for something different, which of course anybody who would have the foresight to sign up for 4/12/52 week backup retention is paying enough attention to know when a "really important" folder goes missing.

You don't do like a monthly backup that gets sent offsite for DR purposes? This policy seems odd to me. We have lots of data that might only get used on a monthly or just a few times a year that still needs to be backed up and kept around.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Comradephate posted:

Turn off hyperthreading, get lag

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

toe shoes posted:

A pull request came in:

84,357 lines out
84,357 lines in

One of our devs got pulled up on the fact that his spacing was not matching up to the rest of the code his team is working on. He then proceeded to run a programme on the the entire apps code base to 'standardise the spacing' and wanted it to be reviewed and merged.

How could he even possibly think that was a good idea? Bonus points if he decided to tack that onto other changes to the code base.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Comradephate posted:

That's one of the reasons I don't like that we merged the threads :(

I didn't check this thread for 2 days and had 200+ posts to steam through. And busy threads make conversations difficult.

edit for content:

An Earthquake came in today! It was at 2.30pm on a Friday afternoon, so everyone just went home (it was bad, but not Bad). What's neat is that you can see the impact it had on our "Customers logged in" graph

Though we've also seen similar drops during major sporting events during the daytime :v:

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 16, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A ticket came in. Two directors of a company have suddenly had their desktops disappear.

Log on remotely. Ascertain they've recently been set up with redirected folders. Two problems immediately appear evident; they both have a 30GB profile and 5GB desktop, and the Cisco VPN client we use doesn't enable connect-before-logon. Oh, and they're in a hotel with shaky wifi at best.

Why the engineer who set up redirected folders decided to apply this to the entire domain, I will never know. Now the directors are furious and threatening to cancel the contract.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

totalnewbie posted:

Pls, they'll never catch me!

...... poo poo.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SlayVus posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I always feel that entering a date in any form should only require typing numbers in. Calendar entry is always tedious and slow having to click back multiple times to get to a certain year then month. The exception to this is if it is a future date you're typing and need to know what exact day of the week it is.
There is a number field too, but also a date control, which is probably why the stupid default never got noticed.

quote:

Obviously, all dates should be entered in the ISO 8601 standard, in week date format.
UK program that implements UK law and will never get used outside the UK. ISO format dates will just confuse the kind of users we deal with :(

Dick Trauma posted:

Default should be to have no value at all but data validation should prompt at submit if it's a required field.
When it's a calendar control, rather than a text field, it's impossible to have no default value. The calendar control has to open somewhere.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

You don't do like a monthly backup that gets sent offsite for DR purposes? This policy seems odd to me. We have lots of data that might only get used on a monthly or just a few times a year that still needs to be backed up and kept around.

I work for a dedicated hosting provider, so customer disaster recovery isn't (directly) our responsibility. If you're bringing a new device online and don't have special requirements for backups, you'll get 2 week retention.

Offsite backups for this many devices would carry significant expense, and for most of our customers it's just not necessary. For example, if you're running an ecommerce site, how valuable is store/customer data from 4 months ago? Hell, if the device fails or a table gets dropped, you're going to wish you had backups from 4 minutes ago.

If you have the funds and have a seriously redundant DR plan, we can store backups offsite for up to 52 weeks at 2-3 different locations.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Lum posted:

There is a number field too, but also a date control, which is probably why the stupid default never got noticed.

UK program that implements UK law and will never get used outside the UK. ISO format dates will just confuse the kind of users we deal with :(

When it's a calendar control, rather than a text field, it's impossible to have no default value. The calendar control has to open somewhere.

What happens if you enter a date in the field then click the control?

Also what if it's invalid, say Feb 30, 1984?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

IT coworker posted:

:saddowns: Hey Anus, I didn't get your email from yesterday. I've been waiting. Did you send it?
:v: I sent it yesterday about 3 minutes after we talked.
*walks over to coworker's desk*
:saddowns: *searches for my email, email is sorted by individual so it looks like the last email received was 7/30*.
:v: see - here's the email from me, 1:36PM. Wait. You don't have any emails from later than 1PM yesterday? Maybe you should open a helpdesk ticket.
I guess he's had a quiet day since yesterday, apparently. No wonder I saw him with a starbucks and all happy/relaxed. This would be less noteworthy if this wasn't the 4th or 5th time this has happened to :saddowns: in a month.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

KennyG posted:

I'd default it to November 5th, 1955.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
A ticket came in...

pre:
SUBJ: I lost the internet - I must have turn off something since others have it
BODY: Assistance please.  This isn't the first time, but this time diagnostics didn't work.
You LOST the Internet?! You fool! What if the terrorists get it?! :monocle:

Followed by another ticket minutes later...

pre:
SUBJ: (none)
BODY: Working again.  I wasn't the only one so it must have been the system.Thanks
And people wonder why I don't take end users seriously.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

KennyG posted:

I dunno, I just got asked to do testing, so I did testing.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

KweezNArt posted:

A ticket came in...

pre:
SUBJ: I lost the internet - I must have turn off something since others have it
BODY: Assistance please.  This isn't the first time, but this time diagnostics didn't work.
You LOST the Internet?! You fool! What if the terrorists get it?! :monocle:

Followed by another ticket minutes later...

pre:
SUBJ: (none)
BODY: Working again.  I wasn't the only one so it must have been the system.Thanks
And people wonder why I don't take end users seriously.

I love the user catch-all of "The System".

"Hey are you doing something to The System? My computer is running slow."

"I can't get my Pandora to work. Is there something wrong with The System?"

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Supervisor comes in to my office and asks me what a good place to shop for computers is. I tell him and he proceeds to spend six minutes (I watched the clock) standing next to my desk, tapping out a text message to his daughter in silence. I try to make small talk to break the tension but he just ignores me because he's so focused on the text. I thought maybe he had something else to talk to me about but after he finished the text he just left. :fuckoff:

He does the same thing when I come into his office to ask him a question. If he's typing out an email he'll give me a "just one second" look and then spend anywhere from ten seconds to two minutes finishing whatever he's typing while I stand there. I understand not wanting to break your focus but if it's going to be more than a few seconds, at least tell me to come back later. Usually all I have is a five second question anyway.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Nativity In Black posted:

I love the user catch-all of "The System".

"Hey are you doing something to The System? My computer is running slow."

"I can't get my Pandora to work. Is there something wrong with The System?"

Whenever someone says that the first thing that always pops into my head is "The System is Down" Strongbad song.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

blackswordca posted:

Whenever someone says that the first thing that always pops into my head is "The System is Down" Strongbad song.

Same here.

Similarly, as most here are aware, "The System" is interchangeable with "The Server." You know, because there's one server.... that controls the power to your speakers preventing you from hearing sounds.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I blame poo poo on "The Cloud" all the time. No one ever questions it.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
So we have a number of tech-enabled conference rooms with laptops that were locked to the tables.

A managing partner in the NY office, who I shall charitably call Fuckstick McGee, had a meeting where he wanted to move the laptop around the room, but couldn't because the laptop was locked down.

He then throws the epic bitchy baby hissyfit to end all hissyfits and demands that every laptop in every conference room in every office be unlocked. Which we do, because our CIO is an idiot and we have no choice.

That was three weeks ago.

We are missing 27 conference room laptops and rising.

In our most recent meeting, I made a motion for Fuckstick McGee to be the one responsible for locating them, or, failing that, be made fiscally responsible for replacing them. Sadly, my motion was not carried.

Fun fact: we still have a great big pile of laptop locks we are not using, despite the clear evidence that our offices are staffed by people whose fingers are so sticky they can only be of gecko descent.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

At least he isn't asking for an iPad

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
He's already got one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My boss went to visit one of the branches a month or so ago to clear up some issues and switch their ISP. While there, he must have told some of the people there that they don't need to hang onto email that's 3 years old "just in case" because if an emergency arises, we can pull an email from backups.

One woman in that office must have taken this as "use backups as my personal archiving tool." I have gotten 3 requests in the past 2 weeks from her along the lines of "can you pull an email that was in my sent items from sometime in april or may. I think the email address was xxx@xxx.com."

When I ask her about these requests, she says she deleted all the emails. Sure enough, there is nothing older than midway through June. I had to nicely explain to her that the backups aren't there for her personal convenience and that loading up our old journaling databases is tedious and that she can't just delete everything willy nilly and send us multiple requests a week asking us to pull it for her. I'm not sure I got through to her.

• Locked thread