Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Integrate it into the story mechanics. Every time the powers from on high "ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL" the worker in question loses a bit of sanity from foreign thoughts being inserted into his brain.

Powers from who knows where, sanity loss, that's too complicated. Why don't make it simple - at the beginning of the game you pick one person to be the one in charge and the others just do what he tells them to do. No matter where they are in the colony, no matter if the person issuing orders is currently eating or sleeping or singing happy birthday songs, they always hear him, they always obey and there is nothing strange about it... Why are you looking at me like this? Now go away I have to dig a hole right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Volmarias posted:

I appreciate the gumption in trying to dominate the Time To Crate competition, but I suspect someone has already made it to 0 seconds. Sorry old boy, time to pack it in.
A great many games have made it to zero - the real challenge these days is getting below zero by putting crates in the intro movie, the menu or the company splash logo.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ghostlight posted:

A great many games have made it to zero - the real challenge these days is getting below zero by putting crates in the intro movie, the menu or the company splash logo.

Have the game be sold in a giant wooden crate.

e: Like, not to the stores, to the end user.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

President Ark posted:

The game is actually just a collection of Fish People in a wooden packing crate.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

President Ark posted:

*crowbar not included

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Overwined posted:

*crowbar not included

It's included. All you have to do is open the crate to get it. This may require a small offering to the Perfectly Safe Geometers.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Shadowmorn posted:

So i suffer from a fear of wasps and, upon suffering that today and its following mild panic attacks (Not sleeping does wonders for decaying your mental fortitude down to "wee toddler" status), i found myself thinking of your game! How does this relate? I have no idea!

To the point: I'm wondering if you're going to have similar personality quirks?

Something on the line of "John Smith: Quirks - Fears the bulbous Frogtoad's something dreadfully. Enrages at the sight of an unploughed field." and the appropriate psychological harm it will cause when it starts raining Frogtoads on the unploughed fields.

I'm generally not a fan of this sort of thing. Either the effect ends up so weak that it might as well not be there, or it's so strong that it creates losing scenarios because you didn't micromanage Bloke Toadhate's house selection away from the decorative pond. It feels like either you do a lot of busywork or you just take the chance of a catastrophic murder spree or something due to randomly generated causes you couldn't reasonably become aware of.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm generally not a fan of this sort of thing. Either the effect ends up so weak that it might as well not be there, or it's so strong that it creates losing scenarios because you didn't micromanage Bloke Toadhate's house selection away from the decorative pond. It feels like either you do a lot of busywork or you just take the chance of a catastrophic murder spree or something due to randomly generated causes you couldn't reasonably become aware of.

I think it could work if it were more of a 'Papers, Please' "this info is open and accessible if you take a moment and it's your fault if you miss it", but not if it's a 'Dwarf Fortress' "It's hidden in a 500-word essay four menus deep". Obviously it would be a thing that pushes people already near the breaking point, a -5 on a 100 point scale.

He's starving, his kids are sick, his wife got sucked into the Pain Dimension, but at least he hasn't oh gently caress there's that loving cat THAT'S IT THIS CITY WILL BURN

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mzbundifund posted:

Given the way the job weighting works it could just be a -20 of "wants to do this job" around whatever they're averse to, which would result in a slight inefficiency in colony management, as Bloke silently slips himself down to the bottom of the toad-related joblist, that you could ignore until a collusion of negatives suddenly makes him afraid to ever return to his house near the decorative pond and he dies alone and shivering in the wilderness.

That sort of behaviour where there's weak effects in play that you don't have to micromanage or even pay attention to but when your failure to macromanagement means a whole bunch of them are stacking on top of each other triggering something unexpected (especially losing scenarios) is exactly why Dwarf Fortress has such emergent stories.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

nvining posted:

Short answer: we agree with this statement and we are aware of it (and it's most of our design philosophy.)

You know, every time you guys respond to a question in this thread, I become more psyched about eventually playing this game (because your answers are typically the kind of thing I want to hear is on your minds)!

Of course, that means that the bar for the coveted "SA Forums User LonsomeSon Way loving Loved Our Game" award is set pretty high, and you're nudging it ever higher with each passing week.

Mzbundifund posted:

I feel like it would be cool to have a system like this, and have it potentially (but not always) result in lengthy murder or arson sprees. But to also integrate murder and arson sprees into the game in such a way that they're not really catastrophes for your settlement. Or, are only really catastrophic if they happen to hit Blokes with Important Skills.

Not only would that feed into the general "keeping a stiff upper lip while living in a psychically-distorted industrial hellscape" vibe really well, but it would let those of us who want to design a factory around causing maximum angst and madness amongst its workers do so with much more control and effect!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Targeted serial killings would be fun. A lumberjack really loving hates his overseer and this becomes distilled into a great hatred for the upper classes. When a demon whispers in his ears from the haunted ground behind his hovel, he begins sacrificing the children of the aristocracy.

Edit: That actually reminds me, are children going to be invulnerable like they are in so many games? Or are you just not going to have them around and go solely by importing grown up immigrants?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Doubtful. There are far too many practical uses for street urchins and orphans.

e: Though, if they were invulnerable, that could lead to some wonderful innovations in armoring Her Majesty's war machines.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Avast, an update about pipes and energy supply. Interesting stuff, although it made me wonder - will there be tools in place to retrofit an existing building to have different input/output ports at some expense of money/building materials/precious factory time spent shut down?

Also, will there be an optional intermediary thing - say, a station someone can plug in a steam orb that feeds it into the community steam pipe service, or a hookup for people to grab them from the network and take them the last bit of the way to its destination? Say, for those instances where you have a good pipe network but the particular placement of a factory near certain other things (other factories, rivers for a waterwheel, unusual terrain, THE BROWN STONE SPIRE) makes a direct hookup impossible/impractical, or if retrofitting an older factory producing something you desperately need and getting it on the newfangled pipe network would take too much time/money so in the short term you just have it manually fed until you get enough money/enough of a buffer of whatever the factory makes to do a proper connection.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 21, 2013

dbaumgart
May 31, 2011

President Ark posted:

will there be tools in place to retrofit an existing building to have different input/output ports at some expense of money/building materials/precious factory time spent shut down?

If it can be built, it can be un-built ... and then also re-built stronger, more powerful, bristling with pipes and churning machinery with no protective casings to get in the way of the piping-hot Industry!

President Ark posted:

Also, will there be an optional intermediary thing - say, a station someone can plug in a steam orb that feeds it into the community steam pipe service, or a hookup for people to grab them from the network and take them the last bit of the way to its destination?

Something like that is a goal of the design, provided it doesn't turn out to be terrible in practice.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tags for update about pipes and energy supply posted:

we're ever so sorry for everything

It's ok :unsmith:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

We can still make our pipe hellscapes by breaking things up into separate buildings if we want to.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope pipes will have pressure. So I have to toss up pumping stations along the way to keep the water flowing, necessitating I power them with more steam furnaces. Which needs more wood and water, which needs more.... Basically I want a clusterfuck of pipes and confusingly random planning. This won't be a pretty grid city like New York, oh no, this will be medieval Paris.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Demiurge4 posted:

I hope pipes will have pressure. So I have to toss up pumping stations along the way to keep the water flowing, necessitating I power them with more steam furnaces. Which needs more wood and water, which needs more.... Basically I want a clusterfuck of pipes and confusingly random planning. This won't be a pretty grid city like New York, oh no, this will be medieval Paris.

Also so we can build a 100,000 PSI water cannon aimed at the mouth of Hell, and when we slot the last Doomstone into place those demons get a shitload of holy water blowing all their limbs off. This is basically all I've ever wanted from a game.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I googled Stangenkunst.

Thank you.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If you can't weaponize steam, then there really isn't anything more to say

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dareon posted:

I googled Stangenkunst.

Thank you.

Yeah, actually, I just did this. Pretty neat.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm surprised you guys (Gaslamp) didn't know about the broiler/grill thing.

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, actually, I just did this. Pretty neat.

Same here.

nvining
May 30, 2011

For everybody who wanted hilarious bloopers:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/08/28/programmer-rage/

(Plus: various looks at WIP stuff! Hooray!)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

nvining posted:

Fantastic

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Gahahahahahah this is fantastic.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
The chicken may be tainted with vile energies from some strange realm beyond the feeble walls of reality but it is still perfectly edible I assure you.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

nvining posted:

Best update in recent memory

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You could pretty much leave that chicken in the game. Maybe have it so it only looks like that when it's at the very edge of your screen, and snaps back when you look at it. Also put a cog on it

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Requested_Username posted:

Best update in recent memory

I agree. Also, "the bureaucrat is literally in the middle of some important paperwork right now" is my new favorite tag (which was already a pretty competitive award).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That was fantastic. Thank you.

(Keep the corrupted door model, have doors start doing that once you've spent too long meddling in Things Man Was Not Meant To Know.)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Cicadalek posted:

You could pretty much leave that chicken in the game. Maybe have it so it only looks like that when it's at the very edge of your screen, and snaps back when you look at it. Also put a cog on it

Thanks to you I have a stupid loving parody stuck in my head.

quote:

If you liked it, then you should have put a cog on it
If you liked it, then you shoulda put a cog on it
Don't be mad once you see that he want it
If you liked it, then you cog put a ring on it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Thanks to you I have a stupid loving parody stuck in my head.
poo poo, you're lucky your brain chose that song. I ended up with this one stuck in mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_MNI8qRb6s

Farmhouse! (Ah, scenic)
Now put a cog on it.
Factory! (Ah, functional mate!)
Put a cog on it.
Chicken (Oh now that's a bug!)
Put a cog on it

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

nvining posted:

Do you see that bullet? Cherish it. Love it. Never let out of your sight. That bullet is your best friend, and the only thing you can truly depend upon. Care for that bullet like your child, for it is your means of salvation from the unfathomable horrors that lurk within the darkness of your future.

Am I talking about eldritch horrors, or a development deadline? In the end, does it matter?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nvining posted:

See? Was that so much to ask?

I'd actually consider that bureaucrat to be an unlockable feature once your colony reaches a certain level of madness. Perhaps he should be in a bureau in the office, however, to actually be a bureau-crat :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Best use of the 'technical excellence' tag. :allears:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Volmarias posted:

See? Was that so much to ask?

I'd actually consider that bureaucrat to be an unlockable feature once your colony reaches a certain level of madness. Perhaps he should be in a bureau in the office, however, to actually be a bureau-crat :v:

An Imperial Bureaucrats' job is to file, sign, and organize. It is by no means an indication of insanity when the colony's accountant deems it fit to sign himself in triplicate and place himself in his filing cabinet under B for later processing.

This is also convenient if the bureaucrat in question is attempting to not be seen.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 29, 2013

nvining
May 30, 2011

I'm not totally sure what to make of the fact that when we write serious, useful posts about things like design decisions and the building of systems, we get "huh" and when I go off the rails after a frustrating day in the code mines, I get a million comments along the lines of "Best Post Ever."

People's comments that we should just leave everything in and ship it have been duly noted. :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Well, I for one really appreciate it when relatively small development teams take their time about squashing bugs before release. I could always have another round of Dwarf Fortress if I wanted a permanently-in-beta community-building/resource-gathering game with eldritch horrors.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

nvining posted:

I'm not totally sure what to make of the fact that when we write serious, useful posts about things like design decisions and the building of systems, we get "huh" and when I go off the rails after a frustrating day in the code mines, I get a million comments along the lines of "Best Post Ever."

People's comments that we should just leave everything in and ship it have been duly noted. :)
The serious posts are super interesting to read but there's not necessarily much we can say about them. People can generate an infinite stream of babble about non-euclidean chickens though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

nvining posted:

Not all are good enough to appreciate your genius, but everyone can delight in your suffering. :unsmigghh:

If that was smaller and cogless, it would be fantastic avatar material. :allears: Doubly so if it morphs back into the chicken and strolls on.

• Locked thread