Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

darknrgy posted:

KK Multicopter controller

Yes, KK boards and arduinos are based on atmel chips. The original KK board is something like an atmega128. Is the board you have now just a KK board or is it the KK2 with LCD display? There aren't very many flight controllers for less than $75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
KK, no LCD. Also I can confirm that it is an atmega128. $75 is not a hard limit; it was just a guess based on how much the original kit cost. Is $100-$150 more reasonable?

Edit: I was eyeing something like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__37328__hkpilot_mega_v2_5_flight_controller_usb_gyro_acc_mag_baro.html It's just a HK version of the Ardupilot. $75. But since Slanderer said arducopter stuff is lovely, I'm curious about the alternatives.

darknrgy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 10, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you have a transmitter?

This is a drat good deal: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006R6ERLE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1376093647&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

darknrgy posted:

KK, no LCD. Also I can confirm that it is an atmega128. $75 is not a hard limit; it was just a guess based on how much the original kit cost. Is $100-$150 more reasonable?

Edit: I was eyeing something like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__37328__hkpilot_mega_v2_5_flight_controller_usb_gyro_acc_mag_baro.html It's just a HK version of the Ardupilot. $75. But since Slanderer said arducopter stuff is lovely, I'm curious about the alternatives.

Honestly the KK2.0 is one of the simplest, cheapest, most stable solutions that's available right now. If you want GPS the next simplest off-the-shelf answer is the DJI Naza.

It's worth trying the ardupilot if you're willing to tinker and deal with the inconveniences of OSS multirotor projects.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

CrazyLittle posted:

Honestly the KK2.0 is one of the simplest, cheapest, most stable solutions that's available right now. If you want GPS the next simplest off-the-shelf answer is the DJI Naza.

It's worth trying the ardupilot if you're willing to tinker and deal with the inconveniences of OSS multirotor projects.

That's originally what interested me about arducopter. I've played around with the atmega8 and arduino stuff for a long time. I think I'd rather have to hack at it a bit to make it work than not have any option at all. But if it just sucks then I don't want to waste my time. Thanks for the suggestions, though. I'll take a look!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Even the commercial packages like DJI have their bugs and flaws. It's always more frustrating when those bugs affect YOU.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

no I have not much.. based on my knowledge of racing rc cars 10+ years ago though I might want to get a decent transmitter instead of something from a kit and then buy the other stuff like that package.

Not sure what constitutes a good value controller these days though.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Is there an off-the-shelf that will handle 30oz of weight and be good for 30kt winds? I think my hard ceiling on price is $900. I can probably break out a 3d printer if it will decrease my cost by more than $100.

I've got an old (1999) digital controller that runs in one of the unregulated bands at some stupid wattage; I think it's publicized as 5W, but I think it's limited by a jumper to 900mW for US usage. That jumper didn't come installed on my TX as far as I can tell, and I know it uses batteries at a prodigious rate.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

soy posted:

no I have not much.. based on my knowledge of racing rc cars 10+ years ago though I might want to get a decent transmitter instead of something from a kit and then buy the other stuff like that package.

Not sure what constitutes a good value controller these days though.

You are right, a good tx will greatly improve your experience. Spektrum dx6i is a great lower-end tx with the features and build quality of the higher end of the dx series, but at a decent price.

The dx5e is cheaper still but not great for helis and multirotors.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Someone brought this up on another forum, and It's been in the back of my mind for a while. These "Off the shelf" quads like the phantom or other aerial photography packages are creating a bit of a problem.

No one is going to hurt anyone with a nano quad, but there are way too many people diving in and flying heavy lift quads right off the bat. Hopefully they just crash, waste lots of money, and leave the hobby in disgust with themselves, but how long before we get a wildfire started by some idiot w/ a phantom. Negative attention, or any attention is the last thing the hobby needs right now, and god damnit if I don't hate all phantom owners.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Is there an off-the-shelf that will handle 30oz of weight and be good for 30kt winds?

This really bothers me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same, a friend of mine just started with a hexacopter that has a wingspan of like 4 feet and had to weigh 10 lbs.

My advice to him was "fly it at head height or lower only for about 6 months"

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

ease posted:

Someone brought this up on another forum, and It's been in the back of my mind for a while. These "Off the shelf" quads like the phantom or other aerial photography packages are creating a bit of a problem.

No one is going to hurt anyone with a nano quad, but there are way too many people diving in and flying heavy lift quads right off the bat. Hopefully they just crash, waste lots of money, and leave the hobby in disgust with themselves, but how long before we get a wildfire started by some idiot w/ a phantom. Negative attention, or any attention is the last thing the hobby needs right now, and god damnit if I don't hate all phantom owners.

This really bothers me.

The thing that really bothers me is people flying phantom and larger sized quads in crowded locations even right above peoples head or close to kids. Its only going to take one bad accident for the BAN ALL DRONES crowd to start getting laws and poo poo passed.

If someone has never flown an RC helicopter or multirotor before starting small is the way to go. Cheaper crashes, less chance of blood and carnage, less wasted money.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ease posted:

This really bothers me.

Trying to get action shots of waterskiing/tubing, and it'd be nice to be able to launch/recover the craft from a boat at speed.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Is there an off-the-shelf that will handle 30oz of weight and be good for 30kt winds? I think my hard ceiling on price is $900. I can probably break out a 3d printer if it will decrease my cost by more than $100.

A Bell 206B3 should do the trick.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Trying to get action shots of waterskiing/tubing, and it'd be nice to be able to launch/recover the craft from a boat at speed.

Haha. Good luck with that.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

People have done the filming wakeboarding stuff quite a bit. The launching and recovering at speed would be tricky. I don't think I would want to be in the boat during that. You could pretend its a carrier landing. Just make sure you call the ball and don't buzz the tower too much Maverick.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, before you try the recovery, I'd suggest that you invest in some protective equipment. Something like this ought to do

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This tutorial here is awesome for learning orientations (and other stuff).
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380

While it's aimed at CP helis, most of it will apply to multi-rotor stuff as well.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I suppose it's a good idea to practice using a sim? Or is that outdated?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

uXs posted:

I suppose it's a good idea to practice using a sim? Or is that outdated?

It will help dial in your muscle memory. Also it is often easier to fire up the sim than go and fly. Personally I don't ever use a sim for my quadrotor but I do use one for learning new moves for my mcpx.

I fly my quad a lot more conservatively though. I don't do any acrobatics with it or anything.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

mashed_penguin posted:

It will help dial in your muscle memory. Also it is often easier to fire up the sim than go and fly. Personally I don't ever use a sim for my quadrotor but I do use one for learning new moves for my mcpx.

I fly my quad a lot more conservatively though. I don't do any acrobatics with it or anything.

And you were fairly comfortable on the MCPX before getting the quad, right?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

And you were fairly comfortable on the MCPX before getting the quad, right?

That too I guess. But I don't fly it upside down or do loops with it either.

Muppet Danny Brown
Sep 24, 2006

Smell like a penguin
Anybody fly the pocket quad from hobbyking? $49 for a multiwii enabled quad about half the size of a x1 or walkera at 70mm. I just pulled the trigger on one, and am thinking of doing fpv with it. Hopefully the pico camera and tx from ReadymadeRC is small enough to fit on a 70mm 30g quad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ugh forgot how long stuff takes to arrive from HK. Even placed an order from the US warehouse in an attempt to speed things up...in 11 days it hasn't moved and estimated delivery date just got pushed from the 19th to the 21st. Some stuff I ordered from the international warehouse 5 minutes after the US order arrived today :(

Oh well building a 18" depron PBF to keep me distracted until things show up. Pictures when I finish.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Yeah the cheapest shipping option is pretty horrid. It when the only hong kong warehouse has what you need and it's only a couple bucks but you dont want to wait a month for it.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

mashed_penguin posted:

The thing that really bothers me is people flying phantom and larger sized quads in crowded locations even right above peoples head or close to kids. Its only going to take one bad accident for the BAN ALL DRONES crowd to start getting laws and poo poo passed.

If someone has never flown an RC helicopter or multirotor before starting small is the way to go. Cheaper crashes, less chance of blood and carnage, less wasted money.

Seconded... I'm fairly new to this stuff and I currently have two scratchbuilt quadcopters.

The first one is a little thing with 6" props. The propellers won't even cut corrugated cardboard. I even took it to work and flew it in the office for a demonstration (while maintaining safe distance from everyone).

It flies fine but the five minute maximum flight time was a bit annoying so I built another one to get better performance. I mostly used the "95 minutes max flight time" thread on rcgroups.com as a reference.

The second one has 14" carbon fiber props, about 1.5 kg AUW, a 4S 6000mAh battery and a (measured) thrust to weight ratio of almost 3:1. Yeah, it has better performance. The Spinning Blades of Doom would be a better description. I cannot imagine flying it anywhere near other people. Not now, maybe not ever.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

cyberbug posted:

I cannot imagine flying it anywhere near other people. Not now, maybe not ever.

I was at a tiny park near my place a couple of days ago with my wife and three year old. I heard a familar buzzing sound and saw a dude walking through the park a couple of meters behind his 450 size quad. He came within 2 meters of my kid at about waist height before I could get over to her. Then I yelled at him to get the gently caress away from the playground.

His next move was to move to the other side of the road opposite the park and buzz cyclists coming up the bike path. Fuckwits like him are going to get this hobby more banned than it is from urban areas.

This all goes down one block from a park that is full city block sized with no playground :cripes:

The strangest thing was that most of the time he was walking around flying it at waist height no more than a few meters away from him. Not quite sure what he was trying to achieve.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, my reaction to flying my 450-size helicopter when I first got it (after only flying small things with plastic rotors before) was "holy poo poo, I'm driving around an unstable, unguarded flying lawnmower :stare:"

Muppet Danny Brown
Sep 24, 2006

Smell like a penguin
Prop guards really should be mandatory with anything over 8". Carbon fiber props will go through you like a hot knife. I've had an incredibly close call, I was tuning a multiwii 450 215w 1000kv 10" props sitting on my lap. It was 1am, and I was a bit tipsy, but wanted to adjust the LPF for the gyro. I powered it up and turned on the controller. Put the controller on the bed behind me while looking at the Multiwii GUI sensor data. The throttle stick must have snagged on something when I was putting it down, and the quad spun up to full throttle, rocketing past my face fractions of an inch away before I knew what was happening and hit the wall 6 feet up behind me, flipped vertical onto it and ground its way to the ceiling on its prop adapters before I grabbed the transmitter and powered down. I'm lucky I came out of it without disfiguring scars or missing an eye. Always, ALWAYS take the props off before you work on your multicopter. I got lucky, but most don't.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mashed_penguin posted:

The strangest thing was that most of the time he was walking around flying it at waist height no more than a few meters away from him. Not quite sure what he was trying to achieve.

I used to do this all the time with my Raptor 30 when trying to work up the guts to go for real forward flight. Looking back it was foolish and I was lucky nothing ever let go. I was at least at a designated flying field though.

I did have a close call when a wind gust picked up then dropped the raptor while I was practicing super low inverted hovering. One of the carbon blades flew right next to my leg and stuck itself through the headlight assembly on my car...I was sitting on the hood.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Hey guys, is there an RC ground vehicles thread? I can't find one!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's one in Automotive Insanity, yep: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125553

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Awesome, much appreciated!

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Symbolized posted:

The throttle stick must have snagged on something when I was putting it down,

I don't think it did. I've had my quad launch while hooked up via ftdi. I think its a multiwii bug.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I had a close call the other day when installing a new receiver and decided to run it off my main wiring harness in my quad. I disconnected the apm's ubec so that the esc's couldn't arm. However I forgot about the servo cable running from the gimbal controller to the apm. So it was still getting power. When I unplugged that servo cable the motors instantly went full throttle and it flew into the wall blowing up three props and it nicked me on the arm on the way past.

I didn't have time to react or anything. The only thing that saved me was that I had it tipped up on one skid reaching under it to pull out a cable so it was pointing at the wall and was only about 2ft from it. That is what I get for being a moron and not taking the props off. All in all I was very lucky and the only things broken were three props. My wife was unimpressed when I was more concerned about damage to the quad and house than myself...

I'm still not sure why it went full throttle when the apm lost power. The motors only ran for about two seconds before stopping. Since then I have made a ubec that hooks straight up to a battery to bench test components.

Ultimate moral of the story is don't work on your quad when you get home from a 13 hour day and are tired as hell :cripes:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I finally got around to picking up a motor to replace the one I thought was damaged when I crashed my AR drone. I replaced that motor with the new one and I am still getting a "cut out emergency" when I try to take off. That rotor spins up but then abruptly stops, with a orange LED lit. Not sure where to go from here with trying to fix it. Any suggestions?

ghost
Jul 23, 2002

My first real multirotor begging for some FPV gear.

I'm super surprised I was able to put it together and get it flying so quickly. I could just be obsessed though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Flying close to people is stupid. The video kind of speaks for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocqB6_y71xE

(no gore or anything, just stupidity)

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Flying close to people is stupid. The video kind of speaks for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocqB6_y71xE

(no gore or anything, just stupidity)

:stare: I just don't even know how, why :cripes:

Phantoms really should come with blade guards. No actually that would encourage people to be even bigger dumb asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muppet Danny Brown
Sep 24, 2006

Smell like a penguin
Prop guards should be mandatory for any ready to fly quad with 8 inch or bigger props. It'll go a long way towards preventing multirotor bans in the name of public safety.