Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The T posted:

Accidentally won a code for David Bowie 02 pack (the one for RB3 with Blue Jean, Fame, Modern Love, Young Americans and Ziggy Stardust) before realizing that, oh I already own it. So the most interesting person to quote this with a method of contact (PM or e-mail) will get it.

I already have this but I'd like to point out that if you don't have it you should get it because it owns.

Also, what platform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

The T posted:

Accidentally won a code for David Bowie 02 pack (the one for RB3 with Blue Jean, Fame, Modern Love, Young Americans and Ziggy Stardust) before realizing that, oh I already own it. So the most interesting person to quote this with a method of contact (PM or e-mail) will get it.

It may seem crazy, but I only just got my copy of Rock Band 3 about a month ago. Take that however you will. [PMs are fine, 360]

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Alright, time to pick a winner!

I'll be ranking everyone in multiple categories of coolness, with a score that can go up to 10 points.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Ziggy played guitar, and I'd like to join him. (PM)

Awesome avatar! +3 points
Not a bad post! +3 points
Doesn't have this pack already?! -9,000 points!

Total score: -8994

Chairchucker posted:

I already have this but I'd like to point out that if you don't have it you should get it because it owns.

Also, what platform?

Fine Avatar I guess: +1 points
Owns the Davie Bowie DLC pack already: +9 points
Pointed out what a stupid error I made by not pointing out this code is for 360, and therefore making me look dumb?! -900,000 points!

Total score: -899,990

Volfogg posted:

It may seem crazy, but I only just got my copy of Rock Band 3 about a month ago. Take that however you will. [PMs are fine, 360]

Only just now got Rock Band 3!? -4497 points!
Still has a stupid newbie avatar! -4498 points!

Total score: -8995

Oh, so close, but it looks like Pyroxene Stigma has won! Wait Pyroxene Stigma? That's a pretty terrible username. Maybe I should take points off for that...

Oh well. Pyroxene Stigma, check your PMs!

(Just to be clear this is all in good fun. Sorry Volfogg.)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Awesome, thanks so much. I laughed. And yeah, it's a stupid name, I made it back in 2005. One day I'll change it!

If it helps, I have David Bowie pack 01, just hit a patch of unemployment when 2 came out, and didn't go back to rectify that issue when I got a job. Thanks again!!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, my kick pedal is officially done. It's only hitting 98% of the notes, and actually overhits sometimes too. No amount of pausing to fiddle with it helps anymore. And I just failed Crazy Train because it stopped registering drum hits altogether for about five seconds. (I suck at the end of Crazy Train so that may have helped)

So, decent place to buy a pedal online? Or should I think about getting a new kit? (since I'm still using my RB1 drumset, but not nearly as often so a base set may do fine)

EDIT: 12 seconds on Amazon and I saw this drumset for $117, so I think I'll pick that up. Question still stands on the drum pedal, though.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 18, 2013

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Anyone know if they still make the Ion drum rocker?

The T
May 29, 2010

bpc908 posted:

Anyone know if they still make the Ion drum rocker?

A cursory glance on Google suggests no. You might be best off finding a midi adapter and your own drum kit. However I'd advise that the few times I've used this (at a friend's house so not extensively) I've had lots of trouble with the bass pedal double hitting. Was never sure what to do about it.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

The T posted:

(Just to be clear this is all in good fun. Sorry Volfogg.)

It's all good T-Man. But yeah, I actually did only get my copy of RB3 not long ago from someone on SA-Mart. Still need to borrow a copy of RB1 so I can transfer those songs AGAIN and get the Export for RB2. Still need to get those RHCP tracks before the DLC gets pulled.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Welp, my kick pedal is officially done. It's only hitting 98% of the notes, and actually overhits sometimes too. No amount of pausing to fiddle with it helps anymore. And I just failed Crazy Train because it stopped registering drum hits altogether for about five seconds. (I suck at the end of Crazy Train so that may have helped)

So, decent place to buy a pedal online? Or should I think about getting a new kit? (since I'm still using my RB1 drumset, but not nearly as often so a base set may do fine)

EDIT: 12 seconds on Amazon and I saw this drumset for $117, so I think I'll pick that up. Question still stands on the drum pedal, though.

That metal plate on it really helps. I got the Rock Pedal, and I'm really happy with it, but it was $90 and they stopped making them. That's a much better deal.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
C3 releases for August 23, 2013:

New! Simple Plan 3-pack (RyanHYK)
  • Simple Plan - "Addicted"
  • Simple Plan - "I'd Do Anything"
  • Simple Plan - "Perfect"
New! Singles
  • The Beatles - "Across the Universe" X (Orange Harrison)
  • Paul Simon - "Father and Daughter" (ws54)
From the Vault: GH Warriors of Rock Singles (TrojanNemo)
  • Alice Cooper - "No More Mr. Nice Guy"
  • Blue Öyster Cult - "Burnin' for You"
  • Twisted Sister - "We're Not Gonna Take It" X

All of the GH conversions are crazy fun, and so are all of the new songs. Good week, IMO.

pksage fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 23, 2013

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Awesome week!

Geographica
Jun 1, 2010
'Across the Universe' is the real version (e.g. not symphonic). And it even has Pro Guitar & Bass.

Incredible work, OH. Thank you.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Geographica posted:

'Across the Universe' is the real version (e.g. not symphonic). And it even has Pro Guitar & Bass.

Incredible work, OH. Thank you.

Thanks! After releasing a long streak of obscure-or-missing-parts Beatles, songs. I'm setting aside some time to make a seriously awesome Beatles 3-pack designed to synergise with the Beatles Rock Band tracks, instead of filling another niche.
Here's your clues:
  • Three Beatles songs
  • One from each era (early, psychadelic, late)
  • Non-obscure ultra-hits (on a huge scale; virtually everybody knows the words to these ones)
  • Painfully absent from the stock Beatles: Rock Band tracklist
Get guessing!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Love Me Do, Penny Lane, Hey Jude?

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
Please do the Beatallica version: "Hey Dude" instead, then you'll begin to be a shredder.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
She Loves You, Strawberry Fields Forever, Hey Jude? Oh man this is exciting!:allears:

edit: I thought maybe Eleanor Rigby, but you implied that the next set would steer away from "missing parts" songs, and that'd be missing a few.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 24, 2013

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I'm gonna hope for You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Why Don't We Do It in the Road, and Lady Madonna, though I know all 3 are probably wrong :shobon:

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

Given the clues, I'll go with Please Please Me, Penny Lane and Let it Be. Minidust has probably already guessed correctly, though.

Geographica posted:

The C3 song database says it has no bass or pro parts. OH, you might want to check the details they posted for correctness.

In other news: If you're one of those first-world people whose Fender replica Strats keep falling off of your cheap guitar stands, I can recommend picking up a couple of Ultimate stands for $59.98 shipped:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ultimate-support-gs-100-genesis-single-guitar-stand-2-pack-w-free-cables

Includes two free 1/4" cables to use as jump ropes, or something.

El Destructo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 24, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

El Destructo posted:

The C3 song database says it has no bass or pro parts. OH, you might want to check the details they posted for correctness.

The song has no bass part whatsoever; Geographica probably just said "Pro Guitar & Bass" out of habit. I just checked, and the Pro Guitar part has been correctly listed since Friday, as far as I can tell. It's just a 0-dot difficulty.

John-311
Apr 1, 2005

Eric Pope and Aaron Trites said in the Harmonix livestream show this afternoon that they're releasing 5000 DLC codes of 160 MS Points that can be used toward any song you want in this Friday's newsletter: http://eepurl.com/cMCrs Also giving away thousands of codes at PAX this weekend.

Goodall10
Jul 6, 2004

Orange Harrison posted:

Thanks! After releasing a long streak of obscure-or-missing-parts Beatles, songs. I'm setting aside some time to make a seriously awesome Beatles 3-pack designed to synergise with the Beatles Rock Band tracks, instead of filling another niche.
Here's your clues:
  • Three Beatles songs
  • One from each era (early, psychadelic, late)
  • Non-obscure ultra-hits (on a huge scale; virtually everybody knows the words to these ones)
  • Painfully absent from the stock Beatles: Rock Band tracklist
Get guessing!

I'm thinking Yesterday, Hey Jude, Let it Be. Those have to be the three biggest omissions from the original game.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
I finally got to play some customs songs. However, some of my regular dlc, already on the hard drive, didn't work. All the custom songs worked, but 4 or 5 single song dlc songs didn't work and had the error, "unable to load song." Any ideas?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
My guess is that they were licensed to a console that's not the one you're currently using.

When you download anything from Live, there's two bits of DRM info that gets attached to it: Gamertag and console ID. In order for the DRM to be unlocked, it either has to be used on said console that first downloaded it or the Gamertag that downloaded it has to be connected to Live. Since you're playing with customs the latter option isn't possible, so you have to be on the console that first downloaded it in order to use it. You can follow these steps in order to relicense everything to your current console and get yourself sorted.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

whypick1 posted:

My guess is that they were licensed to a console that's not the one you're currently using.

When you download anything from Live, there's two bits of DRM info that gets attached to it: Gamertag and console ID. In order for the DRM to be unlocked, it either has to be used on said console that first downloaded it or the Gamertag that downloaded it has to be connected to Live. Since you're playing with customs the latter option isn't possible, so you have to be on the console that first downloaded it in order to use it. You can follow these steps in order to relicense everything to your current console and get yourself sorted.

Same console and HD since RB1, :(.

The T
May 29, 2010

Tyree posted:

You've never bought a piece of DLC while at a friend's house on their console or something dumb like that? You might want to try doing a license transfer to your own console anyway just to see. Don't think it can hurt?

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

The T posted:

You've never bought a piece of DLC while at a friend's house on their console or something dumb like that? You might want to try doing a license transfer to your own console anyway just to see. Don't think it can hurt?

Never have, but I don't think it can hurt to give it a try.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Tyree posted:

I finally got to play some customs songs. However, some of my regular dlc, already on the hard drive, didn't work. All the custom songs worked, but 4 or 5 single song dlc songs didn't work and had the error, "unable to load song." Any ideas?

Similar thing happened to me. I license transferred all my stuff to this 360 two years ago and have never bought anything on another 360. Last week, I put 100 custom songs on my 360. Immediately, the Lego Rock Band export, the Doors free pack, the 20 song free RB2 pack, Limelight as made famous by, and the Police Pack 1 gave the Unable to Load Song error. I deleted and redownloaded the affected songs, and now they work just fine.

If it's the same thing I encountered, it's not a license transfer issue.

AeolisCams
Jun 5, 2004
That Other Fat Guy

Tyree posted:

I had the same thing happened when I used to buy DLC at a friend's house (but on my Gamertag) on Rock Band nights. The "gamertag" license was mine since I downloaded it there the "console" license was on my friend's box. The transfer steps are very easy these days and you'll just need to "redownload" the songs; it's almost instantaneous since it really only downloads the new license.

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell which files need to have a new license downloaded? I've only done it once or twice but I'd be loathe to dig through hundreds of songs for the handful that don't have the rights correctly unlocked.

Edit: Beaten, but since we're talking about licenses anyway, has anyone had difficulty redownloading the RB2 export pack? When a friend had his Xbox stolen, we could never find that export pack anywhere in the RB3 menus or the xbox.com download history.

AeolisCams fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 27, 2013

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

AeolisCams posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell which files need to have a new license downloaded? I've only done it once or twice but I'd be loathe to dig through hundreds of songs for the handful that don't have the rights correctly unlocked.

Edit: Beaten, but since we're talking about licenses anyway, has anyone had difficulty redownloading the RB2 export pack? When a friend had his Xbox stolen, we could never find that export pack anywhere in the RB3 menus or the xbox.com download history.
I don't know about outside the game, but if it's the Unable to Load Song error, they have the RB graphic instead of album art and don't play the audio preview when you have them selected. It wasn't fun checking all 962 songs, but I'd rather do it once and know I got them all.

Edit: If you hit the XBOX button, then go to account management, then download history, you'll find stuff that doesn't show up on xbox.com anymore. That's where I got my Lego Rock Band, Doors pack, and RB2 20 free songs back from. I'd recommend you don't scroll through that list too quickly, because it has a tendency to pop a "Your request can not be completed" type error if you hit the bumper to page down. Just scroll down nice and slowly, and you'll get to it. This is video gaming in 2013.

Bionic fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 27, 2013

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Goodall10 posted:

I'm thinking Yesterday, Hey Jude, Let it Be. Those have to be the three biggest omissions from the original game.

There are already customs for Yesterday and Let It Be, so I hope not.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I wonder what removing Snow ((Hey Oh)) from the store will do to RB Track Pack 2 exports. I've already exported mine so I don't care, but the question interests me.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

the loving announcement posted:

* "Snow ((Hey OH))" will still be exportable from Rock Band Track Pack Vol 2. As mentioned in previous rounds of re licensing, disc based content operates differently from downloadable content.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bionic posted:

I don't know about outside the game, but if it's the Unable to Load Song error, they have the RB graphic instead of album art and don't play the audio preview when you have them selected. It wasn't fun checking all 962 songs, but I'd rather do it once and know I got them all.

Edit: If you hit the XBOX button, then go to account management, then download history, you'll find stuff that doesn't show up on xbox.com anymore. That's where I got my Lego Rock Band, Doors pack, and RB2 20 free songs back from. I'd recommend you don't scroll through that list too quickly, because it has a tendency to pop a "Your request can not be completed" type error if you hit the bumper to page down. Just scroll down nice and slowly, and you'll get to it. This is video gaming in 2013.

You can also get your download history on the Xbox.com website. You can queue the downloads to your Xbox from the site, and it's much easier.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

IUG posted:

You can also get your download history on the Xbox.com website. You can queue the downloads to your Xbox from the site, and it's much easier.

The post I quoted was specifically asking about the DLC packs that don't show up on the RB store or on xbox.com.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for August 30, 2013:

New! The Right Pack (farottone)
  • Alanis Morissette - "Right Through You"
  • Guns N' Roses - "Right Next Door to Hell"
  • Supertramp - "Bloody Well Right"
Mostly New! The Internet Then and Now 6-pack
  • Group X - "Don't Touch That" (pksage)
  • Ian Dorsch - "Zero Punctuation Theme" (Nightmare Lyre) (2x Bass Pedal version also available)
  • O-Zone - "Dragostea din tei" (pksage)
  • PSY - "Gangnam Style" (pksage and TrojanNemo)
  • rathergood.com - "Bagger 288!" (Gigakoops)
  • Tay Zonday - "Chocolate Rain" (Nightmare Lyre)
New! Single
  • Queens of the Stone Age - "My God Is the Sun" (Drihscol)

Yeah, I know, internet songs. The thing is, when you have a Rock Band party, do most people play good songs, or do they play "Bed Intruder Song"?

The T
May 29, 2010

I only saw the bit of Chocolate Rain that's in the preview video, but it looks like the piano part is playing chords rather than the main melody/that the main melody isn't being played on any instrument? Now I'm far from an expert on this stuff and could be way off, but in he event I'm not: is that the case? :ohdear:

Either way, interesting week! For a Group X song I think Mario Twins would have been more fun, but either way I like this week. It's solid.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

The T posted:

I only saw the bit of Chocolate Rain that's in the preview video, but it looks like the piano part is playing chords rather than the main melody/that the main melody isn't being played on any instrument? Now I'm far from an expert on this stuff and could be way off, but in he event I'm not: is that the case? :ohdear:

Either way, interesting week! For a Group X song I think Mario Twins would have been more fun, but either way I like this week. It's solid.

Re: Chocolate Rain -- The song is like 5 minutes long, apparently, and the author has Keys/PK play the right hand for most of the song with the occasional left-hand section to break up the monotony. If that's all the preview video shows, that was just an unfortunate editing coincidence.

Re: Group X -- Mario Twins and Schfifty-Five are definitely better-known, but this song is special to me and my wife; we quote it at each other like idiots all the time. It also fits the Rock Band instrument model fairly well, and frankly was easier to chart than the other two. (Laziness is a large part of my customs authoring decisions.)

Also I totally flew off the handle and posted a rant in the release thread for this week on our forums! You should go check it out if you want to drink the tears and rage of a self-destructing community.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

pksage posted:

New! Single
[list][*]Queens of the Stone Age - "My God Is the Sun" (Drihscol)

Awesome. I got to hook up my Xbox and put a lot of custom content on the system, starting with this.

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

IUG posted:

Awesome. I got to hook up my Xbox and put a lot of custom content on the system, starting with this.

I was avoiding getting into RB3 customs but will have to set it up just for this song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Spoon Man posted:

I was avoiding getting into RB3 customs but will have to set it up just for this song.

I set it up once. It's really easier than you would think. It probably takes about an hour to set up the first time just because you're "what the hell am I doing wrong" for that time and then it clicks. After that I take it that it becomes easier.

• Locked thread