Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
SPD had so much potential that just went away once the sixth ranger was added. I'm still bugged that Jack and Z's history is never really touched on past the first two episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: After reading about turning Megaranger and Gingaman into space themed shows, I really wanna read about how they turned Go-onger into RPM.
A brilliant "gently caress everything" attitude.

Man, imagine what they could have done with Shinkenger.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

JT Smiley posted:

SPD had so much potential that just went away once the sixth ranger was added. I'm still bugged that Jack and Z's history is never really touched on past the first two episodes.

And the fact that the rangers are all X-men, but instead of having mutants be some kind of known small population in the world it is just the 5 (well, 6) of them and then Doggie gives them an explanation about how their parents got dosed with radiation... and then thats it.

SPD's pretty great overall though, gotta say.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The crazy thing about SPD is the fact that it would have been better if you removed all the Power rangers/Sentai elements. The fact that they had powers they only worked when they were civilians was beyond redundant.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I remember going to a flea market and seeing a set of MMPR weapons in a box covered with strange text I didn't understand. I begged my mom for it, but she said no, that it was just some cheap Chinese knockoff crap, and I didn't want that junk, did I?

Years later, I would realize those were probably an imported Zyuranger Howling Cannon. If only she had known :qq:

I'm so glad my parents somehow learned how MMPR was made, all those years ago. I was the cool kid at school for a couple days.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
SPD was actually the series that got me back into Power Rangers (and subsequently Sentai and Kamen Rider). When the MMPR2010 reversioning had people talking about the franchise again I went on a bit of an MMPR nostalgia trip but SPD in particular caught my eye while watching opening compilations on Youtube so I ordered the DVDs and dug in.

It's got its issues, but I have a soft spot for it.

Gutcruncher posted:

At the end of SPD, Jack leaves so Skye gets promoted to Red and Bridge gets promoted to Blue, but Sydney and Z are still stuck on their old Pink and Yellow? By the year 2025 I thought all this space-sexism would be over :argh:

That kinda stood out to me too, but I think it's just a matter of real world logistics so I just shrugged it off. The guys are probably close enough in size that you can just swap their uniforms around without issue, but Monica May would be swimming in Matt Austin's green jacket and there's no point tailoring new ones for a brief scene at the end of the show.

Really cements the "this is a show for boys and the female characters really don't matter as much" thing though even if it was entirely innocuous.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Dekaranger team leader was actually Umeko, so SPD is less progressive than the original series :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Really cements the "this is a show for boys and the female characters really don't matter as much" thing though even if it was entirely innocuous.

One of the few things that Saban nowadays is still better at than Disney is making the effort to cater a bit more to females, mostly by reverse-gendering some rangers. I could see Disney sticking to keeping the Yellows in Time Force, Lightspeed, MMPR, etc. as males.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

SPD also had the A-Squad rangers where they had a female Red ranger before Shinkenger. In fact, one of the men behind SPD wanted the Red B-Squad ranger to be female.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

In Time Force Pink was the leader, right? I thought it was a funny clash how in the American footage the pink ranger was totally in charge, but in the Japanese footage the red ranger was.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

You're thinking of Gaoranger white I believe.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gutcruncher posted:

In Time Force Pink was the leader, right? I thought it was a funny clash how in the American footage the pink ranger was totally in charge, but in the Japanese footage the red ranger was.

They played it off as Red was the combat leader but Pink was otherwise in charge.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, there's a few shows where someone else is ostensibly the leader, but Red is always The Guy Who Makes It Work. Kakuranger was like that, the leader was Tsuruhime, but Sasuke was the man who made the team gel together. It's pretty obvious when you consider the first episode of every series where they show assembling the team, it's usually about Red finally joining because the team isn't right without him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

I believe Pink was technically the leader in Timeranger as well.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Yeah, there's a few shows where someone else is ostensibly the leader, but Red is always The Guy Who Makes It Work. Kakuranger was like that, the leader was Tsuruhime, but Sasuke was the man who made the team gel together. It's pretty obvious when you consider the first episode of every series where they show assembling the team, it's usually about Red finally joining because the team isn't right without him.

I always love to try and figure out why the Red Ranger is the Red Ranger. Sometimes it's natural leadership, others it is being courageous, and sometimes it feels like dumb luck.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Liar Lyre posted:

I always love to try and figure out why the Red Ranger is the Red Ranger. Sometimes it's natural leadership, others it is being courageous, and sometimes it feels like dumb luck.

Also being the most delusional, dont forget about that!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: After reading about turning Megaranger and Gingaman into space themed shows, I really wanna read about how they turned Go-onger into RPM.

Both Space and RPM, were series that were going to be the last Sentai series adapted into English.

In Space's case. They were shown the suit and Zord designs before actually being shown the Japanese script, So they had started the script writing assuming that it was space based solely off how everything looked like it was in space.

By the time they learned it was about Video games it was too late.

RPM is the result of the staff being told this is the last one and pretty much being allowed to do whatever they wanted. And thus making the best Power Rangers series since Space.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I forgot how the A-squad's suits were just BMX gear and Megaranger helmets.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Get a memory wipe and watch Shinkenger.

Also, Japan is going to be airing dubbed episodes of Samurai, which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I've already seen Shinkenger, I just need to know how badly Samurai flubbed the rest of the story.

Speaking of flubs, does anyone know when new episodes of Megaforce are supposed to start?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
September 7, I think.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Tran posted:

September 7, I think.

We actually have a date? About time. I've actually been enjoying Megaforce for the fights and just the sheer "The acting is so bad its good" appeal.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Liar Lyre posted:

Don't forget "Being the Chosen One/Special Snowflake". Time Force, Wild Force, Mystic Force, and Operation Overdrive are the guilty parties there.

Poor Leo really did fall into Galaxy Red by dumb (tragic) luck though. :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, poor Leo. He wasn't the chosen one at all :v:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here's a sweet behind the scenes photo from MMPR season 3. It's the creation of the Shogun Ultrazord!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Liar Lyre posted:

Here's a sweet behind the scenes photo from MMPR season 3. It's the creation of the Shogun Ultrazord!

I still love that they used literal off-the-shelf toys for the ultrazords.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

There's more photos of scrawny white guys making a TV that's a half-hour toy commercial using the toys from last season.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

jivjov posted:

I still love that they used literal off-the-shelf toys for the ultrazords.

To the point where the White Shogunzord appears on the show in the Ultrazord clip as the Pink Shogunzord, which didn't exist outside of the American toys.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

They just had to give Tommy his own white Zord, drat. But, shee, man, sometimes he'd just pop on into the Pink Shogunzord and snuggle up with Kim Kat for some afternoon delight, you know? A man has needs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It angers me far more than a children's toy commercial ever should that Tommy forgot all about Kimberly in order to pursue the next pink ranger to show up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

It angers me far more than a children's toy commercial ever should that Tommy forgot all about Kimberly in order to pursue the next pink ranger to show up.

Didn't Kim dump him via a Dear John?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Kim dump him via a Dear John?

Yes, in Zeo.

And shortly after that Kat started snuggling up to him.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, Kim hosed off to France to study ballet and live with her mom and step-dad who was an evil french cat monster with a beret and baguette, I think.

I think.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Well, Kim hosed off to France to study ballet and live with her mom and step-dad who was an evil french cat monster with a beret and baguette, I think.

I think.

Nope, it was to Florida to train for some global gymnast thing. Though her mom did move to France and it was a plot for all of one episode on if she would have to go and give up her Ranger power. It was of course resolved with Aisha's family let Kim stay with them for all of a few months before running off to Florida and completely ruining her motivation for staying in the first place.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

:stare:

You... you looked that up on RangerWiki, right?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

:stare:

You... you looked that up on RangerWiki, right?

Nope, I never saw the original airing so my exposure to this plot was recently with the DVDs. I was pissed off that Kim was so worried about have to move and give up being a ranger, then she just blows off all the sacrifices made for her to stay to go gently caress off to Florida.

actually I just have that much random Ranger knowledge in my head

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 24, 2013

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Kyoryuger suits are loving weird

Especially the bad dude in the upper right.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Where is Violet?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Cyan is actually chubby instead of just a palette swap :newlol:

And hey hey hey, there's Armed Ons but no Deinosgrounder? I call bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I only recently realized that the shoulder pad and chest pattern make a chompy dinosaur face. That's pretty cool.