Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Infamous Sphere posted:

Really good, conscise episode once again! I was actually thinking about recording my episode on The Talented Mr Ripley soon, because it was on the shelf, but I think I might be looking at something else next episode instead. In my last episode, on Blue Velvet, I mentioned the difference between "evil gay characters" (as in their homosexuality is added to make them seem more..creepy), and characters who are evil/horrible, and just happen to be LGBT, but Rantasmo raises another point - characters whose morally awful nature is almost understandable, due to the awful situation in which they find themselves in. I'd say the character who's the most like this currently would be Thomas on Downton Abbey, who definitely has his fair share of nasty, jerkish moments, but has been systemically marginalised and will never be accepted for what he is.

And yeah, that swimsuit really is something else.

I love the Talented Mr. Ripley for several reasons, most of which have to do with Jude Law. There are also several incredible actors in that movie. I'd love to see you review that movie, Infamous Sphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Lupa reviews Witchcraft 8 which features the grossest sex scene in the series so far! I hope you're hungry!

Can you believe there's still five more of these movies? This series must have set some kind of world record for direct sequels. :psypop:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Leelee posted:

I love the Talented Mr. Ripley for several reasons, most of which have to do with Jude Law. There are also several incredible actors in that movie. I'd love to see you review that movie, Infamous Sphere.

I've written up the review, so it's definitely on my "shelf", but I do have something else coming up next. However, it's a very..special kind of movie, so I think you'll appreciate why I'm taking the time to look at it. Let's just say it's set in early 20th century Madrid, but the dialogue is all in English, delivered with Spanish accents - and two of the three main lead actors are British. Plus, the main character dresses up like a marionette for much of the movie.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

dijon du jour posted:

Lupa reviews Witchcraft 8 which features the grossest sex scene in the series so far! I hope you're hungry!

Can you believe there's still five more of these movies? This series must have set some kind of world record for direct sequels. :psypop:

I looked it up and there are movies with more sequels, ha ha. But most of them are related by famous characters rather than telling a cohesive story.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Didn't know until tonight, but Paw released a new Music Movies
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/paw/music-movies/40298-music-movies-the-princess-and-the-frog

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

LFK posted:

The workprint copy is missing a lot of effects, so you see partially finished animatics and maquettes, actors wearing mocap markers, wires, crew, equipment, the final colour grade isn't finished, and so on and so forth. So you're watching a movie that's already dumb enough in a hilarious way, then all of a sudden an actor turns into a foam replacement, or there's obvious wires, or there's no sound effects, or it cut to some completely untextured CGI animatic where all the trees are just grey triangles.

It's just an extra level of absurd hilarity.

I had a friend who watched the workprint of the 2003 Ang Lee Hulk and he said it was the trippiest thing he had ever seen. He also was like 13 at the time so he didn't fully understand how Hollywood worked and assumed he downloaded the real thing so he and his brother just kept looking at each other and saying "Wait, what? Did they release it like this? Did they really release an unfinished movie?"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I imagine that every year the work prints look more insane than ever before. Of course there's also the downward tug on insanity with the pure blue screen movies like Sin City or a Lucas movie. Then again those probably are their own kind of crazy with an actor or two just looking like an off their meds schizophrenic in an empty room.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So after watching Folding Idea's episode on Superhero films I've got two things to say: 1) I need to write an article on "Man of Steel" and 2)whoever is making these videos needs to start thinking about tone because he sounds pretty :smug: as gently caress throughout this film. Maybe if he extends his videos to double length with something like this it wouldn't sound as black and white. I mean I went into the nuance about"The Dark Knight" on these forums.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 19, 2013

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm watching Bennett's 20 Worst Songs list and I loved him including that creepy dude from YouTube while talking about Bryan Adams. :allears:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Benny the Snake posted:

So after watching Folding Idea's episode on Superhero films I've got two things to say: 1) I need to write an article on "Man of Steel" and 2)whoever is making these videos needs to start thinking about tone because he sounds pretty :smug: as gently caress throughout this film. Maybe if he extends his videos to double length with something like this it wouldn't sound as black and white. I mean I went into the nuance about"The Dark Knight" on these forums.

Your link lead to a trippy video of a Russian version of Winnie the Pooh in which Winnie is apparently a raccoon.

I'm assuming it was a copy/paste error, but still, what the hell have you been watching?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Benny the Snake posted:

This is the link you're looking for. He actually sounds more :350: to me. Or :drugnerd:, which I guess must be a new smiley cause I haven't seen it before.

It's funny, I complained about his previous episode dancing around the topic he's trying to present, so now we get the follow up that's twice as long and really gets into the specifics, details and clarity I was asking for... and I still don't like it, cause now he's completely gutted his presentation. I don't just mean ditching the puppet and movie clips, I mean the writing too, I don't even think he had a notepad with some ideas jotted down on it for reference or even a clear idea where he was going to go with this episode when he sat down and hit record, but he did it anyways because he wanted to clear up some things that needed clearing up and that meant now and not after a cup of coffee? So now we get a rambling vlog with a filter over it where we stare at a guy who struggles for what he's trying to say at any given second for 18 minutes.

I really like this show, honest guys. :(

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

bbf2 posted:

Your link lead to a trippy video of a Russian version of Winnie the Pooh in which Winnie is apparently a raccoon.

I'm assuming it was a copy/paste error, but still, what the hell have you been watching?
Cracked.com sent me there :doh:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Huh, new One Hit Wonderland.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-to-be-with-you-by-mr-big-6631546

I find it funny how right he was about not ever hearing the song if you weren't cognizant at the time, and the huge list of hair bands that formed the year I was born is just hilarious to me for some reason. I don't think I'd heard of hair metal until I was a teenager, that's how dead it got in the 90's.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cool, one of my favourite bands!

I was kinda hoping he might do a OHW double-feature with this song and "More Than Words" by Extreme.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bbf2 posted:

I had a friend who watched the workprint of the 2003 Ang Lee Hulk and he said it was the trippiest thing he had ever seen. He also was like 13 at the time so he didn't fully understand how Hollywood worked and assumed he downloaded the real thing so he and his brother just kept looking at each other and saying "Wait, what? Did they release it like this? Did they really release an unfinished movie?"

The best part is I remember watching that fight on top of the nuclear tower and thought "I wonder what this will look like when the clean it up?"

Not much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5AsOEk-ZJU

There's the side by side comparison, for those that didn't get a chance to see it the way it was meant to be seen.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Metal Loaf posted:

I was kinda hoping he might do a OHW double-feature with this song and "More Than Words" by Extreme.

I dunno, I think "Play With Me" is closer to a OHW from Extreme than anything else. If only because basically everyone has seen Bill and Ted.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

Akett posted:

Huh, new One Hit Wonderland.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-to-be-with-you-by-mr-big-6631546

I find it funny how right he was about not ever hearing the song if you weren't cognizant at the time, and the huge list of hair bands that formed the year I was born is just hilarious to me for some reason. I don't think I'd heard of hair metal until I was a teenager, that's how dead it got in the 90's.

1992 buddy! Though I heard Hair Metal a lot as a kid, if only because my fathers English music consisted of every ballad Scorpion ever put out and a lot of bands on that list in an attempt to be more "Canadian". However, now I can't get Green Tinted 60's Mind is now stuck in my head and I can't get it out. drat you Todd.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So Moviebob comes to the defense of Booth Babes and tries to have it both ways. Am I the only one who thinks it's disingenuous to have your premise be about defending models while you make the point that hiring them for Skyrim or Medal of Honor promotion is tacky but hiring them to promote cheesecake games like Lolipoop Chainsaw or Bayonetta is A-OK because it's "Truth in Advertising"? It just feels like a soft sort of sexism: the kind where you can try to have it both ways as both a shining crusader against sexism but still dabble in it when you feel it's appropriate.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

He has often outed himself as a complete idiot when it comes to such issues, don't listen to him.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The list he made was of bands formed in '89.

e: Or am I just confused all around with what you were talking about? Never mind me.

Akett fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 20, 2013

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Benny the Snake posted:

So Moviebob comes to the defense of Booth Babes and tries to have it both ways. Am I the only one who thinks it's disingenuous to have your premise be about defending models while you make the point that hiring them for Skyrim or Medal of Honor promotion is tacky but hiring them to promote cheesecake games like Lolipoop Chainsaw or Bayonetta is A-OK because it's "Truth in Advertising"? It just feels like a soft sort of sexism: the kind where you can try to have it both ways as both a shining crusader against sexism but still dabble in it when you feel it's appropriate.

Oh people still watch his stuff? I thought seeing him prance around in a ninja costume would stop people from taking him seriously.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Oh ho, Doug Walker is doing another long musical review, again with Brentalfloss and Paw instead of Nostalgia Chick. It is, of course, Les Misrables. This should be fun, as the Moulin Rouge one is one of the highlights of the entire character run.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/40344-nostalgia-critic-les-miserables-musical-review

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Benny the Snake posted:

This is "Sucker Punch isn't that bad and is actually pro-women" guy, right? :spergin:

I'm all for different perspectives on art n' pop culture, but that movie's pretty much a litmus test for whether you see women as people just like dudes or some other weird half-superior, half-foreign-object thing, so...yeeeeeah. Don't really care what he has to say about feminism in any case ever. I mean, come on, Sucker Punch?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Jay O posted:

I'm all for different perspectives on art n' pop culture, but that movie's pretty much a litmus test for whether you see women as people just like dudes or some other weird half-superior, half-foreign-object thing, so...yeeeeeah. Don't really care what he has to say about feminism in any case ever. I mean, come on, Sucker Punch?

I know a lot of guys that still claim Sucker Punch to be feminist. I work in the game industry, though.

No, no, I kid. Most guys are fine on the inside of the industry. But I do know a few people that defend the movie to the death that are not crazy people that just wanted a smart excuse for giving in and looking at the boobs. I violently disagree with them, of course.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Bennett just release his top 20 best hit songs list.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Conceptually I can see how Sucker Punch is a feminist movie. Moviebob did a cliff notes version of the main arguments here and here.

I’m pleasantly surprised that the internet hive mind didn’t latch onto Sucker Punch (‘cause it’s about nerdy, sci-fi/fantasy genre stuff but it’s also, like, really dark and deconstrutioney and meta). It gives me hope knowing that people won’t give every lovely thing a pass because it’s self-aware.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jay O posted:

This is "Sucker Punch isn't that bad and is actually pro-women" guy, right? :spergin:

Uh excuse me the women in that movie fought robots and were in charge of their sexuality so what if they wore skimpy outfits and were nerdbait and furthermore :spergin:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

High Warlord Zog posted:

Conceptually I can see how Sucker Punch is a feminist movie. Moviebob did a cliff notes version of the main arguments here and here.

I’m pleasantly surprised that the internet hive mind didn’t latch onto Sucker Punch (‘cause it’s about nerdy, sci-fi/fantasy genre stuff but it’s also, like, really dark and deconstrutioney and meta). It gives me hope knowing that people won’t give every lovely thing a pass because it’s self-aware.

Just from the reviews I've seen of the movie, it seems to pander so hard it becomes condescending.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Mike's reaction to the "female empowerment" claim of the film during the Half in the Bag review sums up that movie pretty well.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
The feminist underpinnings of "Sucker Punch" is in that it connects fanservice to exploitation. Its failure is that Snyder makes no distinction between how the fictional leering audience views the girls and how Snyder himself views them. In essence, the viewer is expected to enjoy all the fanservice without feeling implicated by it. Also it's really stupid and boring. I find it a fascinating failure regardless.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Rebochan posted:

I do know a few people that defend the movie to the death that are not crazy people that just wanted a smart excuse for giving in and looking at the boobs. I violently disagree with them, of course.

Oh yeah, I was not implying that everyone who defends that movie is crazy or a horrible sexist monster, but at the very least people who defend that movie don't really see women as basically the same creatures as men. To justify that film as "feminist" requires you to in some way place women into a special category that both glorifies and/or demeans them depending on your angle. Feminism should just be the assertion that we're all equally human, with no psychological or emotional limitations or superpowers. We're juuuuust people and deserve the same rights, treatment, and representation as dudes.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.
So many white boys, well meaning white boys, have I seen defend Sucker Punch as a feminist piece, but never once have I seen a woman do it.

Hmmm.....

HHHHMMMMMMMMM......

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pirate Jenny posted:

So many white boys, well meaning white boys, have I seen defend Sucker Punch as a feminist piece, but never once have I seen a woman do it.

Hmmm.....

HHHHMMMMMMMMM......

Yeah ain't that a weird coincidence, what could it mean???

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Pirate Jenny posted:

I don’t get how you can defend it as “it’s feminist and therefore not poo poo”. It’s kind of conceptually feminist but Snyder’s understanding of feminism is facile and the way the movie is scripted and directed often undermines the intended message.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

High Warlord Zog posted:

It’s kind of conceptually feminist

It's... not. Not if you've taken like... film theory 101. Actually, no, less than that. Whatever the high school equivalent of that is. It's really, really, really not.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah ain't that a weird coincidence, what could it mean???

Guess we'll just have to explain it to them again. Man, this is really getting to be a burden.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

High Warlord Zog posted:

I don’t get how you can defend it as “it’s feminist and therefore not poo poo”. It’s kind of conceptually feminist but Snyder’s understanding of feminism is facile and the way the movie is scripted and directed often undermines the intended message.

I feel like that's this revisionist idea that people started grasping at after the movie came out. I mean, MisterBadIdea is saying that it's a failure on Snyder's behalf, that he didn't differentiate between his view and the condemned one, but, I mean, is there a difference? I mean, look at 300 and Watchmen , or, hell, even Man of Steel and Dawn of the Dead. The man loves people flesh. Sure, Sara Polly is the main character of Dawn of the Dead, and she's a fairly strong, well-rounded, competent female character (for a zombie movie), but I'll be damned if that move doesn't think she's crazy sexy in that bloodsoaked tank top. How much of the Watchmen director's cut is spend staring at Silk Spectre's rear end? The oracle in 300?

Snyder's films have a habit of going "man, look at these creepy dudes leering at this fine woman meat" without really appreciating the irony of that statement.

Even The Owls of Ga'Hoole! (No, not really.)

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

As noted in the Half in the Bag review which was released when the film came out (just to reel this back on topic), Snyder was pretty open about how he saw it as a feminist film and I believe he still does.

...and thanks for mentioning that episode, I forgot to watch it in my haphazard run through of that series.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Watching this really made me realize how boring top 20 'random criteria' lists are. Started off somewhat interesting, but through the top 5 or 6 I was far more interested in what the list would have looked like if it was just his top 20 songs period. I mean, I like all those songs (even if 'Sitting on the Dock of the Bay' is the only one that really resonates with me, and would show up on a list of my own) but they're still really boring and standard choices, and even if some of them would have been on his no-limits top 20 list as well, at least it would feel less obligatory.

Part of it might be that looking through some of the songs I preferred over his choices from bands and artists included in the list made me realize that despite my mainstream music preferences, probably quite few of the songs in an eventual top 20 of my own would be #1 hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pirate Jenny posted:

Hmmm.....

HHHHMMMMMMMMM......
Supposing you saw a woman do so once. Supposing you saw a dozen women defending it. That would change your perception of the issue... how?

Bennet's reviews tend to jump oddly between having stuff to say and... not. If there's some point he's trying to make, the review is going to be at least interesting (if not necessarily good) but stuff like top / bottom 10 is pretty much devoid of a central theme by definition and therefore tends to be bland as hell.

• Locked thread