Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I just send Bell snarky tweets whenever the Internet goes down. It usually happens on days that end in 'y'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Nitr0 posted:

Guess we will have to agree to disagree then. I don't think you are owed any sort of retribution when it says right in the terms of service you agree to that you don't get that.

Do you go to your hydro company for refunds when the power goes out?

If it was out for a week then yeah I would and I bet they would have no problem in crediting that. I don't just harass them every time the modem can't sync or something, sheesh. They don't get to just skate on providing a service by inserting a clause into the TOS or whatever, I am paying for something and expect to actually get that service for the most part.

I do agree with you that people take it too far but I think that mentality exists everywhere, people always want the most for their money and unfortunately the internet allows them to be rude and demanding about it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Sure I would complain. I wouldn't ask for refunds.

What if it was out for a month? Would you still be like "Well, their terms and conditions say that they're not liable for the quality of the service they're providing, guess I should have bought a second DSL line, my bad.", or would you actually want a refund at that point?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You don't pay for hydro while it's out ;)

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I would cancel service and move to a new provider.

teethgrinder posted:

BUT YOU'RE PAYING FOR THE HYDRO TO BE ON 24/7 AND WHEN THE POWER WAS OFF MY BUSINESS LOST MONEY SO gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

But you wouldn't try to get a refund for the month that you paid 100% of the cost and got 0% of the service?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nitr0 posted:

BUT YOU'RE PAYING FOR THE HYDRO TO BE ON 24/7 AND WHEN THE POWER WAS OFF MY BUSINESS LOST MONEY SO gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

Yep, there is no middle ground at all there. You're either a GIMME GIMME person or you're a salt of the earth, passive non-complainer who takes everything in stride.

For the record when my internet was off for the better part of 7 days due to a problem a Cogeco tech caused, they were really cool about it and totally understood.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

The Gunslinger posted:

Yep, there is no middle ground at all there. You're either a GIMME GIMME person or you're a salt of the earth, passive non-complainer who takes everything in stride.

lol.

My time is just worth more than the petty crap people do to get a small refund.

Yes if I signed up and it was a month and never got service I would ask for all the money to be refunded and go to a different provider. It's the small outages that causes all the bitching and moaning that gets me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nitr0 posted:

lol.

Yes if I signed up and it was a month and never got service I would ask for all the money to be refunded and go to a different provider. It's the small outages that causes all the bitching and moaning that gets me.

A literal 2 minute phone call is not petty or difficult for 7 days of downtime.

People do worse and get extremely petty but not all situations are created equal.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nitr0 posted:

lol.

I suppose it depends on what you define as small, reasonable, etc.

There is a certain school of thought that suggests that if you can't offer a service reliably, even if it's due to factors outside of your control, perhaps you shouldn't offer it at all.

If you do, at least put up a very large disclaimer for the customer stating that you have no control over the network between you and the customer and that there is no guarantee that the service will work in any particular capacity. And, of course, charge appropriately.

Teksavvy had amazing support and resolution times for years. That all went out the window about two years ago, for whatever reason. While their communication through the DSL Reports forum is excellent, it's not great that you have to go there and kick up a fuss to get an issue looked in to. Their phone support is useless and issues in the direct forum are often brushed off until a public thread appears with numerous people complaining about the same issue.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

Ahahah, if only that were actually true. It sure isn't in Ontario.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Just cancelled my Rogers and signed up with Tekksavvy a week ago - cable 45/4 plan. Are the majority of outages happening on the DSL service, cable or both? A little concerned now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Just cancelled my Rogers and signed up with Tekksavvy a week ago - cable 45/4 plan. Are the majority of outages happening on the DSL service, cable or both? A little concerned now.

I don't think it's that bad really, but there have been ton of cable outages, in various regions, reported over the past couple weeks. It looks like they're being resolved within a day or so though.

Have a look here to get a better idea of what's going on.

Stuff like this has been happening fairly regularly since the ATPIA migration began, they're dealing with the issues but it's not quick.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 21, 2013

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

Teksavvy had amazing support and resolution times for years. That all went out the window about two years ago, for whatever reason. While their communication through the DSL Reports forum is excellent, it's not great that you have to go there and kick up a fuss to get an issue looked in to. Their phone support is useless and issues in the direct forum are often brushed off until a public thread appears with numerous people complaining about the same issue.

IIRC, one of the biggest shifts happened when they hired a new support director. Instead of focusing on first time resolution, he probably stuck with average hold time. Obviously the former results in happier customers, so we can't possibly do that!

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....

Chris Knight posted:

IIRC, one of the biggest shifts happened when they hired a new support director. Instead of focusing on first time resolution, he probably stuck with average hold time. Obviously the former results in happier customers, so we can't possibly do that!

Doubtful. If you call TekSavvy the hold time is up past an hour. Maybe he focused on Average Handle Time. ;)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
YKWIM :)

As for any great TekSavvy disasters, I really haven't seen any recently on my end.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Teksavvy is still being poo poo on my end. Oh well.

cka
May 3, 2004

I like this so far; those speeds are consistent across about a dozen or so speedtests I've run since thursday afternoon. Spent some time pushing the connection as hard as I could to see if it would fall apart like my old 7/1 adsl did on uploads, and it didn't even bat an eyelash. Even on a torrent for a Ubuntu ISO it didn't choke or throttle, just downloaded (and then promptly seeded) the bastard at ludicrous speed. This'll make working at home so much more convenient, doing remote backups/restores and such. Granted its not a gently caress-off-fast tier, but I don't really need that much more speed and it claims to be unlimited which is pretty much the #1 thing for me. Now to wait and see how it fares in the months ahead...

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

The initial teething issues with ATPIA seem to be mostly resolved. I'm on the St Laurent POI, 150/10 package, and consistently get 175/9. No complaints.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

...I sadly need to ditch TekSavvy.

quote:

TekSavvyNetwork ‏@TekSavvyNetwork 7m
We are experiencing a Signal issue on Greensboro POI in Toronto. We are working to resolve ASAP
Expand
TekSavvyNetwork ‏@TekSavvyNetwork 7m
We are experiencing a IP Address on Comstock POI in Toronto. We are working to resolve ASAP
Expand
TekSavvyNetwork ‏@TekSavvyNetwork 8m
We are experiencing a IP Address and Signal issue on Wolfdale POI in Toronto. We are working to resolve ASAP

I assume I'm one of these. It's been so inconsistent the last month or so and tonight's the worst it's been for a while.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

...I sadly need to ditch TekSavvy.

I assume I'm one of these. It's been so inconsistent the last month or so and tonight's the worst it's been for a while.

Give start.ca a whirl, they're sort of where Teksavvy was 4 years ago before things went down hill. We got my girlfriend swapped over from Cogeco to Start and it was a completely smooth transition, they even followed up twice to make sure she was happy with the install. Stability and speeds have been fine, they also have unlimited usage from 2-6am if you can't get an unlimited tier in your area.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nice ... will try it immediately.

Out of curiosity, how do I know which "POI" I'm on with TekSavvy anyway?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

Nice ... will try it immediately.

Out of curiosity, how do I know which "POI" I'm on with TekSavvy anyway?

You can use this as a rough guide, it's not terribly accurate due to the way Rogers has structured their network.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Anyone have experience with Teksavvy Cable in Hamilton? I signed up with them because it seems like the best of my options (Cogeco, Start.ca, Teksavvy) as far as cap and price. I'm a little concerned about the constant reports of downtime but that seems to have something to do with Rogers, so I'm hoping that doesn't affect me? Installation is the Monday after next if all goes well...

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I was wondering if anyone's got recommendations for ISPs for someone in Montreal. I've been with Teksavvy for quite a while now, and I'm probably going to stay with them if I don't find something else substantially better, but the outages (even if it's not around here) and their customer service going downhill lately is making me take a look elsewhere. The bigger ISPs don't seem to have anything remotely interesting, Start doesn't seem to offer services around here, and I've seen a fair amount of people dissatisfied with Acanac. Am I wrong about this, or did I miss other ISPs with decent offerings?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm moving to Vancouver from the UK next month and my wife, who has travelled ahead to get poo poo set up, has gone for Telus for our internet and TV needs. Aside from the fact that it's stupidly expensive compared to what I'm used to (I pay £4 a month for 20mbps at the moment), it will do for the time being until I'm settled and have the time to start shopping around for a better deal etc.

My question is - do I need to tread cautiously when using usenet to download binaries when I'm on Telus? I'm not the most prolific downloader or anything, and i'll likely do less than 100gb a month (way below my cap), but I'd just like to know whether or not i'm likely to start getting lovely letters through the mail. If so, I'll resort to plan B and access via a VPN.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

moron posted:

I'm moving to Vancouver from the UK next month and my wife, who has travelled ahead to get poo poo set up, has gone for Telus for our internet and TV needs. Aside from the fact that it's stupidly expensive compared to what I'm used to (I pay £4 a month for 20mbps at the moment), it will do for the time being until I'm settled and have the time to start shopping around for a better deal etc.

My question is - do I need to tread cautiously when using usenet to download binaries when I'm on Telus? I'm not the most prolific downloader or anything, and i'll likely do less than 100gb a month (way below my cap), but I'd just like to know whether or not i'm likely to start getting lovely letters through the mail. If so, I'll resort to plan B and access via a VPN.

4 quid a month for internet? By Visnu we're getting loving bent over in Canada.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

moron posted:

I've been doing it daily since the beginning of June. Nothing yet. Telus fibre in Toronto. I did it for 16 months with Teksavvy (Rogers) cable as well, with no issues.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

El Scotch posted:

4 quid a month for internet? By Visnu we're getting loving bent over in Canada.

Yeah it's pretty brutal. I'm coming to the realisation that between our TV, internet and mobile phone plans, we'll be paying Telus probably upward of $300 a month. Still, there's not much choice at this point, so we just have to roll with it!

status posted:

I've been doing it daily since the beginning of June. Nothing yet. Telus fibre in Toronto. I did it for 16 months with Teksavvy (Rogers) cable as well, with no issues.

Great, that's kinda what I figured. If I've been able to get away with it in a dystopian nanny-state like the UK, then I guessed it'd be acceptable in Canada, but just wanted to double check. :)

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Phones Telus yesterday because my 6 months at half price Internet is over and as I'm on month-to-month, why would I want to pay more for the same service?

Eventually I was able to get them to give me twelve months of the 25mb plan for $35 a month because I'm a student. At first they have me the whole 'new customers only' line and again I said 'I have no contract, I can just cancel any time'. I made sure my new 12 month deal is also on month-to-month.

Between that and my koodo phone plan (which I brought my own phone to) I have no contracts which is really nice. But being from the UK too it does suck how much more these things cost here. I used to pay £15 a month for Internet and about £10 per phone line, including taxes.

As an FYI moron, my Internet and 2 phone lines with some data and minutes is costing me $95 + taxes so it can be done cheaply if you work at it. Just never ever sign a term contract. Or agree to it on the phone. Or fail to state when you make a change to a contract 'I am not agreeing to enter into a term contract'.

peepingtom
Apr 26, 2008
Edit:
*Thanks anyway, problem solved.

peepingtom fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 6, 2013

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

YeOldeButchere posted:

I was wondering if anyone's got recommendations for ISPs for someone in Montreal. I've been with Teksavvy for quite a while now, and I'm probably going to stay with them if I don't find something else substantially better, but the outages (even if it's not around here) and their customer service going downhill lately is making me take a look elsewhere. The bigger ISPs don't seem to have anything remotely interesting, Start doesn't seem to offer services around here, and I've seen a fair amount of people dissatisfied with Acanac. Am I wrong about this, or did I miss other ISPs with decent offerings?

I've had no real issues with Teksavvy in Montreal, no outages or anything. Might depend where you live? I know when I called earlier they were having some DSL issues.

If you're on DSL, I would highly recommend switching to Cable. Videotron's personnel have been super friendly and accommodating to Teksavvy customers. For example: When I was on DSL, it would take days for a Bell tech to come out and look at my line, whereas with Cable, Videotron is out at my place either next day, or if it's the weekend, the same day (Bell refuse to work weekends for 3rd party ISPs).

I had a Videotron tech out earlier yesterday. Called Teksavvy at 8am, said they'd be there between 12pm and 5pm. 12pm on the dot, a tech was out.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Nuntius posted:

Eventually I was able to get them to give me twelve months of the 25mb plan for $35 a month because I'm a student. At first they have me the whole 'new customers only' line and again I said 'I have no contract, I can just cancel any time'. I made sure my new 12 month deal is also on month-to-month.

This isn't anything really special, most telcos will give great student deals in August to boost their year end numbers. If you were talking to retentions they would of just made it sound amazing.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Nuntius posted:

As an FYI moron, my Internet and 2 phone lines with some data and minutes is costing me $95 + taxes so it can be done cheaply if you work at it. Just never ever sign a term contract. Or agree to it on the phone. Or fail to state when you make a change to a contract 'I am not agreeing to enter into a term contract'.

I'll definitely shop around for better deals on everything once I'm in settled in Vancouver, and in an apartment that I'm confident I'll stay in for a couple of years. As it is just my wife getting stuff set up on her own at the moment, I said just go with whatever to make it as easy as possible. Despite getting my backdoor kicked in with regards to the price, I'm pretty excited about having a juicy 50mb internet connection at last.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Migishu posted:

I've had no real issues with Teksavvy in Montreal, no outages or anything. Might depend where you live? I know when I called earlier they were having some DSL issues.

If you're on DSL, I would highly recommend switching to Cable. Videotron's personnel have been super friendly and accommodating to Teksavvy customers. For example: When I was on DSL, it would take days for a Bell tech to come out and look at my line, whereas with Cable, Videotron is out at my place either next day, or if it's the weekend, the same day (Bell refuse to work weekends for 3rd party ISPs).

I had a Videotron tech out earlier yesterday. Called Teksavvy at 8am, said they'd be there between 12pm and 5pm. 12pm on the dot, a tech was out.

That's actually pretty nice to know. I wasn't really considering cable before, partly because I already have a DSL modem, but that might be worth it. I've never had trouble with the Bell techs themselves, they're usually competent and willing to help. I remember one time when I moved into an apartment where my connection wasn't working, and it turned out the line was broken in the building, the copper pair I was on was also broken somewhere in the utility poles, AND it wasn't actually connected to anything at the other end. The Bell guy fixed it all up in no time. But as you've mentioned, the real problem is getting Bell to actually send out their techs.

Anyhow, thanks for the info.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've had DSL with them before as well. Problem with DSL is that most of the phone lines in Montreal are aged as gently caress. I had the line replaced twice in my old place, and once at my new place (because they couldn't find where the termination point at the aparment was :what: ).

Also, my cable's finally fixed, hooray!

Argy Bargy
Nov 11, 2012
So Bell is rolling out ftth in my community. Seems like a good deal, it's 180/mo for internet, TV and phone, which seems expensive but is less than what I'm paying individually for these services combined. However I'm surprised at how low the speeds are, the main bundle is (up to) 50 Mbps which seems awfully slow for fiber, considering on Cogeco cable I get 20 Mbps or so. I see they offer an internet only package with 80 Mbps, which is a little closer to what I'd expect, but that doesn't seem available in a bundle. They also offer 250 Mbps service, but don't give a price, I can only assume it's prohibitively expensive and meant for businesses and such.

I'll probably take the plunge but just wondering if anyone has any experience with FibreOP? I hate Bell with a passion but right now this is the only game in town, would like to hear what I can expect before I dive in.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I have Bell FibreOP in NL and it's amazing. We switched from Rogers 45/2 500GB cap to 80/30 no cap. Speeds thus far are close to advertised but we're paying much less than what you are for the same combo of internet/phone/TV.

Argy Bargy
Nov 11, 2012

whatupdet posted:

I have Bell FibreOP in NL and it's amazing. We switched from Rogers 45/2 500GB cap to 80/30 no cap. Speeds thus far are close to advertised but we're paying much less than what you are for the same combo of internet/phone/TV.

Thanks, sounds good!

Do you have 80/30 with a bundle? According to the website it's not available, also the 80/30 has a 250G download limit, while the 50/30 has none. Hopefully the site is outdated but who knows. I'll be taking the plunge here in a couple of weeks so we shall see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I forgot that Bell for us (NL) is different from Bell on the mainland. We're under Bell Aliant and they offer 50/30, 80/30, 175/30 and 250/30 all uncapped whereas your packages are different and impose caps which sucks. I just so happened to get a very sweet deal as my buddy who works with Bell was going around trying to poach Rogers customers and gave us an awesome package which as mentioned includes 80/30 uncapped, home phone with province-wide or nationwide free long distance, FibreOP TV with 3 theme packs and PVR all for $99/mth no contract. Checking out the website, new customers would get a similar package for 3 months before the price increases to about $160.

I need to phone about my connection though because the speedtest showed 80/30 but I've been getting speeds closer to 67/19 which isn't a big deal but if I can get the extra little bit then great.

As someone who had Bell TV back when it was offered on their DSL line, FibreOP TV is a big improvement. Rogers had long dominated cable TV here but that is slowly changing.