Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Be sure it's coarse ground coffee, regular drip grind is going to overextract and taste like poo poo. In an airtight container, it's fine for a couple of weeks in the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Cross post

Staying in Chinatown, Manhattan for the week. Already wandering around to find some good food. Came across a place with words/names I didn't recognize at all and several Mao pictures posted all over the place. Figured a good place to start.

I got a pork dish and a duck dish. The pork was very heavy on garlic and lots of bamboo that we don't get in my home state. It was okay. "Fuzhou Style". The duck was good to a degree, with cauliflower. What didn't work for me was the anise.

Might run down the street again and grab some goodies from the bakery.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

FishBulb posted:

One pound of beans in 9 cups of water for 24 hours. Strain. It will be strong.

Just use roasted beans or is this for one pound of ground beans?

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Be sure it's coarse ground coffee, regular drip grind is going to overextract and taste like poo poo. In an airtight container, it's fine for a couple of weeks in the fridge.

I assume it's best to do this into a glass container to make sure it doesn't stain or make it permanently smell like coffee? Are coarse ground bags from the store ok or should I get some fresh ground?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I usually grind my own beans but I do that anyways and I don't want to start a coffee slap fight so do what ever you want. Obviously they have to be ground before you make the coffee with them but if you're okay with pre ground beans go nuts.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Yeah, you can get them from the store, but most stores only have drip grind pre-ground coffee. I usually just buy whole beans from a local roaster that has good prices and get them to grind it for me at the store. But yeah, whatever works for you. You could probably use that diy grinder at the grocery store, too.

And yes, if you don't use glass it's going to stain the container and it will probably never smell like anything but coffee.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So here's how we cooked carnitas at our fair booth.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 19, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Isn't backyard carnitas deep fried in lard?

That's the only way I've had it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's a lot of carnitas.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Isn't backyard carnitas deep fried in lard?

That's the only way I've had it.

That is lard.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Iron Lung posted:

A few people were discussing cold-brew coffee in here a while ago (could have been weeks or months) I think. I tried to find it but couldn't dig it up, could whoever posted about that link me to the page or re-post about it? Would be interested in keeping some really good/strong coldbrew in the fridge since it's still hot as hell in AZ but have about 0 experience making coffee at home. How long is it good in the fridge for?

This is the winner. http://toddycafe.com/
I make one of these carafes each week and it is perfect. Boil up some water to make my morning coffee, or just mix it with cold water and milk/cream etc. for iced. super easy. I'm sure you could do it without the special parts, but this makes it pretty idiot proof.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

a thing of beauty is a joy forever/
its loveliness increases; it will never/
pass into nothingness...

:cry:

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I like how you went from full-on vegetarian to shovels-full of meat in a cauldron of animal fat.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

No loving half-measures for Wiggles.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Somebody should dig up his ICSA: wine entry and post a photo of the tempeh bourguignon next to this.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

KWC posted:

I make one of these carafes each week and it is perfect. Boil up some water to make my morning coffee, or just mix it with cold water and milk/cream etc. for iced. super easy. I'm sure you could do it without the special parts, but this makes it pretty idiot proof.

Yes, this. What I was going to say - delicious perfect iced coffee every day.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my camera was sitting right next to my computer, which was sitting right next to my breakfast this morning

here's a portrait I'd like to entitle "'Egg yolks have no flavor.' - NoWave"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Needs a giant downward pointing thumb in the middle of the picture. What's in the bowl?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yogurt, honey, and this awesome granola wholefoods makes. I have no idea how it's so loving good, but it's like really moist and chewy and mmmmmmmm. I don't normally like granola.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

mindphlux posted:

my camera was sitting right next to my computer, which was sitting right next to my breakfast this morning

:negative: They cut the hours back at my place of employment's cafeteria so they don't serve breakfast anymore, drat nearly the only thing they did right. I miss their hashbrowns drowning in eggyolk so muuuch.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mindphlux posted:

Clearly, those eggs would be improved by adding a hamburger.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

No Wave posted:

Clearly, those eggs would be improved by adding a hamburger.

This but unironically.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Sjurygg posted:

Somebody should dig up his ICSA: wine entry and post a photo of the tempeh bourguignon next to this.

I miss wiggles' epic vegestew icsa entries

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

For what it's worth, tempeh is still pretty :krad:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Just got a new strength goal - get strong enough to handle my chamber vacuum sealer

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

KWC posted:

I will definitely check this out, looks pretty perfect for what I want, thanks.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Did this today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImBrrZXjnho

It was pretty easy. I didn't know I had a time limit, so when I had half a bowl or so left and they told me I had 10 minutes left, they were pretty surprised that I downed the rest pretty quickly.

So far in Chinatown I've had fish head soup, real loving legit beef in garlic sauce, and snails. Pretty drat good. Had some kind of thick fish rice soup today as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Some neato interactive chart that shows how many flavor compounds foods share with each other

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=flavor-connection-taste-map-interactive

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Places to eat in Berlin.

Go!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Steve Yun posted:

Some neato interactive chart that shows how many flavor compounds foods share with each other

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=flavor-connection-taste-map-interactive

This is really really cool. I wish the red lines could be clicked to show how/what compounds they actually shared.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BlueGrot posted:

Places to eat in Berlin.

Go!

I went to an amazing cool semi- underground (as in low profile) vegetarian place there but I can't recall the name.
Cookies Cream! Phenomenal. Tres chic.

There is also a classical Viennese cafe called Cafe Einstein. Famous for schnitzel.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Coffee update: Fishbulb, I did your method, just halved it (so 4.5 cups water, to 1/2 a bound of coarse ground beans) and I just drained it. I found out last minute I was out of the cheesecloth I thought I had, so I just used a strainer and a paper towel - I need to get coffee filters apparently. It yielded almost 2 cups of coffee exactly after all was said and done, does that sound about right? Haven't tried it yet, but it smells amazing and I'll probably have some tomorrow morning. Let me know if I should move this to the coffee thread!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BlueGrot posted:

Places to eat in Berlin.

Go!

I've been to berlin like 5 times now, and I haven't had a single exceptional meal. at quite a lot of price points. not saying amazing food isn't there, but... good luck.

well actually I take that back, some of the best döner is in berlin - but you gotta look for the shops that are making their bread right there.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Iron Lung posted:

Coffee update: Fishbulb, I did your method, just halved it (so 4.5 cups water, to 1/2 a bound of coarse ground beans) and I just drained it. I found out last minute I was out of the cheesecloth I thought I had, so I just used a strainer and a paper towel - I need to get coffee filters apparently. It yielded almost 2 cups of coffee exactly after all was said and done, does that sound about right? Haven't tried it yet, but it smells amazing and I'll probably have some tomorrow morning. Let me know if I should move this to the coffee thread!

Yeah, that sounds about right. 2 cups of concentrate should last you a week or so unless you drink monstrous amounts of caffeine.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
16oz of concentrate poured over ice is the right way to start your day.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Landed in Beijing last night. Our Sister State guys brought us to some swanky place with a bunch of Benzes in the parking lot for dinner, and my first course was Peking duck...Skin. Just the tasty, tasty skin. The sliced duck came later, followed by the fried duck bones. There was so much other awesome food on the table, and lunch today was bananas. Dumplings, and noodles, and a Chorizo-like sausage, and head-on prawns, and oh God. I'm off to another dinner here in a few moments. This place owns.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

BlueGrot posted:

Places to eat in Berlin.

Go!

There's a good Vietnamese place called Monsieur Vuong I liked. I've never had Vietnamese food before, so I've no idea how authentic it is, but it's nice to have some vegetable orientated food in Germany.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Eat This Glob posted:

Landed in Beijing last night. Our Sister State guys brought us to some swanky place with a bunch of Benzes in the parking lot for dinner, and my first course was Peking duck...Skin. Just the tasty, tasty skin. The sliced duck came later, followed by the fried duck bones. There was so much other awesome food on the table, and lunch today was bananas. Dumplings, and noodles, and a Chorizo-like sausage, and head-on prawns, and oh God. I'm off to another dinner here in a few moments. This place owns.

I had Peking Duck like a decade ago, the last time I was in Beijing.

That's about a decade too long, if you ask me.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

mindphlux posted:

I've been to berlin like 5 times now, and I haven't had a single exceptional meal. at quite a lot of price points. not saying amazing food isn't there, but... good luck.

well actually I take that back, some of the best döner is in berlin - but you gotta look for the shops that are making their bread right there.

I've been before, and we ate at Ars Vina which was a nice fondue restaurant. Other than that, it was christmas so we went to the christmas markets, ate steak on bread and drank grog. I'm staying at Alexanderplatz and I know my travelling companions would like Block House, which is ok, but I'd like to try something new.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

Come on down to Shanghai, we have soup-filled dumplings and red-cooked pork. And amazing fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Sjurygg posted:

Come on down to Shanghai, we have soup-filled dumplings and red-cooked pork. And amazing fish.

I'd love to, but I'm on a Sister State commission trip, so it's a tour of Hebei Provence of all places. In a couple hours, I head to Qinhaungdao, which is on the coast. I hope they serve up some seafood! I think a return trip to China is in order - this time with my wife - sometime in the next few years. I'd love to see Shanghai.