Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I haven't finished The Bureau yet but I was looking at the achievements and did see this:

Enemy Within
Have Mind Controlled enemies get a total of 15 kills within a single campaign

It's a hint. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I'm actually surprised that you could succeed in a Terror mission by saving only 1/18th of the civilians present. Heavier penalties for civilian deaths would go a long way towards encouraging players to actually do their job.
There kinda already are, if you only save one dude you get a single point of panic reduction in that one country, if you save everyone (and don't lose any guys) you reduce three local and two continent-wide points. It could certainly be harsher, say saving <5 guys results in the country increasing in panic. They already withdraw instantly if you save 0.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Andre Banzai posted:

What the hell is that insignia on the left, with a skull?
Dr. Vahlen finally went crazy after we blew up aliens with rockets so many times and created the 21st century's Der Totenkopf. We are now having to take out an out of control Vahlen that's produced an army of aliens under her control secretly while we were fighting the aliens.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

misguided rage posted:

There kinda already are, if you only save one dude you get a single point of panic reduction in that one country, if you save everyone (and don't lose any guys) you reduce three local and two continent-wide points. It could certainly be harsher, say saving <5 guys results in the country increasing in panic. They already withdraw instantly if you save 0.

drat, that's a nice reward. I didn't realize that there was a difference because you usually lose at least 1-4 civilians before you can do anything about it. It would definitely be better if there was some sort of reward gradient, given that 100% rescue rates are pretty farfetched.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

drat, that's a nice reward. I didn't realize that there was a difference because you usually lose at least 1-4 civilians before you can do anything about it. It would definitely be better if there was some sort of reward gradient, given that 100% rescue rates are pretty farfetched.

I'm pretty sure there is, although I don't know the specifics.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

immortal flow posted:

So this is weird: http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Uber_Ethereal (spoilers~)

Slight lore question, but the last phrase spoken by the Uber seems to imply that they didn't actually want the XCOM team to KILL them upon invading their ship - just to make it past the gauntlet by killing their underlings and leaving the ethereals themselves unharmed? For debriefing / discussion / exposition / whatever? If that's the case, the mechanics don't exactly jive with the story.
The only problem I had was that it was missing an obligatory cutscene where the humans vow to never join the Ehterials. Because as-is, the Etherial will go "Oh yeah well done you've succeded, let us become gods" and then promptly open fire on you anyway.

At the least, they could've had a line about that he don't care about saving "the volunteer", that just his success is proof enough that the human race is pretty great. But the rest of his quotes makes him out to be surprised that they're still fighting.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
Some new Enemy Within details on a dutch website:

November 15th Release Date.
New Storylines.
Extends some existing maps.
Adds new maps.
Doubles number of MP maps.
New Mech Trooper class (!)

Sounds pretty dope.

edit: more details from Dutch sources. I guess Garth stopped in Amsterdam on his way to Gamescon for "refreshments" and chatted up XCOM: EW with the local press.

Translation seems rough. Here's my take (please correct me goons.nl).

The green smoking goo in the alien pods looks like it is actually Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle type Mutagen. You can collect this stuff on tactical maps and then open up research options for new cybernetic and genetic modifications for your soldiers.

The new Mech Trooper class is based on this.

Aliens get this too, so watch for upgraded aliens throughout the game.

"Mechtoids" :swoon:

Clearly some multiplayer upgrades. With new classes, weapons, and abilities I would expect a substantial rebalancing to all MP elements.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 20, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'm pretty sure there is, although I don't know the specifics.

Really? Have I somehow been missing this the entire time? If so, I take back my previous comments.

EDIT: XCom Wiki seems to explain it pretty well, although not with exact details:

quote:

Additionally, panic is decreased by up to three points in the country where the mission took place (varies depending on the number of civilians saved) and by up to two points across the continent (depending on the scoring in all mission areas); scoring Excellent in all three areas can be a way to provide a sizeable panic reduction to a troubled continent.
Failure of the mission results in immediate withdrawal of the affected country from the Council and a panic increase of the neighboring countries; these missions CANNOT be failed.

Andre Banzai posted:

Guys, the soldiers are holding freaking PISTOLS in that banner, the world seems to have gone up in flames, the XCOM insignia has changed and you're not conjecturing? C'mon, c'mon!

...GANGS! XCOM will be recruiting gangs!

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 20, 2013

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Guys, the soldiers are holding freaking PISTOLS in that banner, the world seems to have gone up in flames, the XCOM insignia has changed and you're not conjecturing? C'mon, c'mon!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Really? Have I somehow been missing this the entire time? If so, I take back my previous comments.

TBH, I never really payed attention to how things change afterwards since my first play through. But the disparity between 1 local terror and 3 local / 2 continental terror is so huge that I'd definitely assume there is. I just wish the XCOM wiki had the actual gradient... I'd assume 1-6 = 1 local, 6-12 = 2/1 local/continental, and 13-18 = 3/2 or something like that?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Andre Banzai posted:

There's not really anything to conjecture on yet. ^:shobon:^ Besides, we'll find out the answers tomorrow so its not like there's a long wait or anything.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
The only thing I want from an expansion is COOP mode. Just got my buddy into this game and I'd love to be able to do a few maps with him. Pick a big map, up the number of enemies and let the plasma fly!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

amanasleep posted:

New Storylines.
Adds new maps.

Sounds pretty dope.

I really hope they added more varied maps. It was getting old being told I was getting sent to Central Africa but I land in what looks like Maine.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

I really hope they added more varied maps. It was getting old being told I was getting sent to Central Africa but I land in what looks like Maine.

"Alright, for this next mission, we're going to Egypt to investigate a downed UFO."

(Skyranger lands in a boreal forest)

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

amanasleep posted:

New Storylines.
Adds new maps.

Sounds pretty dope.

Happy birthday me :dance:

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"Alright, for this next mission, we're going to Egypt to investigate a downed UFO."

(Skyranger lands in a boreal forest)

Yeah and it would be awesome to have environments like in the original game: mountain, desert, arctic, jungle. Now that I think about it, do we even have farms?? I think we have something like it, but not like in the original, with barns and stuff.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Andre Banzai posted:

Yeah and it would be awesome to have environments like in the original game: mountain, desert, arctic, jungle. Now that I think about it, do we even have farms?? I think we have something like it, but not like in the original, with barns and stuff.
I vaguely remember them saying they pulled their farm maps because they play-tested poorly and just couldn't figure out how to make them work with the new movement/cover/action system.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

I vaguely remember them saying they pulled their farm maps because they play-tested poorly and just couldn't figure out how to make them work with the new movement/cover/action system.

I see. Well, if Murder Street is better, farm maps must have really sucked.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
More Dutch press on Enemy Within:

Enemy Within missions happen within the same timeline and story as Enemy Unknown.
Will be released as part of "Commander Edition" bundle.
PC Only so far. Console support unknown.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
We dun' take kindly to new classes around 'ere.

Here's to hoping an expansion brings about a rebalance.

teethgrinder posted:

Easy, add incendiary rounds. The rest will fix itself.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I asked before about how Xcom runs on a MacBook and I was answered that it will have to run it on the low graphics setting with some choppy animation. Should I still get it for a MacBook or should I get it for the XBox instead?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SgtSteel91 posted:

I asked before about how Xcom runs on a MacBook and I was answered that it will have to run it on the low graphics setting with some choppy animation. Should I still get it for a MacBook or should I get it for the XBox instead?

You said it's a MacBook Pro. Can you tell us what year it is and some of the specs? My 2009 Core 2 Duo 15-inch one runs it just fine on moderate settings.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Processor is 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo

Memory is 4 GB

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

amanasleep posted:

Yes. Yes it is. Here's a taste:
The two flanking people has pistols, and there's a sniper rifle. Left center looks like a shotgun, and right center is clearly a sniper rifle, but what the hell is the center dude holding?
Triple barrels, but that's clearly not the Heavy Laser or the Heavy Plasma which are the only triple-barreled guns.
Not to mention that his armour looks nothing like what we have now. He sort of looks like the Iron Man MK1 suit, which I guess is either this new class, or the cybernetic enhancements they were talking about.
Does this mean that I can now have a team of Adam Jensens?

E: Maybe it's a heavy cannon. With incendiary rounds!

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 20, 2013

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Processor is 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo

Memory is 4 GB

Can you tell me what graphics card you have?

There never was a 2.4 GHz Core Duo MBP so I'm assuming you mean Core 2 Duo.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah it's a Core 2 Duo

I think it's NVIDIA GeForce 320M.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 20, 2013

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Does the Mac Steam store show a XCOM demo? There's one for PC, if in doubt that's your best bet for deciding if it runs acceptably.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

The two flanking people has pistols, and there's a sniper rifle. Left center looks like a shotgun, and right center is clearly a sniper rifle, but what the hell is the center dude holding?
Triple barrels, but that's clearly not the Heavy Laser or the Heavy Plasma which are the only triple-barreled guns.
Not to mention that his armour looks nothing like what we have now. He sort of looks like the Iron Man MK1 suit, which I guess is either this new class, or the cybernetic enhancements they were talking about.
Does this mean that I can now have a team of Adam Jensens?

E: Maybe it's a heavy cannon. With incendiary rounds!

Actually, now that I'm re-examining that picture, the dude in the middle looks like he(?) could be the new Mech Trooper class. His left arm looks pretty robotic, and his ankles look like they're bolted on. Maybe he's holding a new autocannon.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Actually, now that I'm re-examining that picture, the dude in the middle looks like he(?) could be the new Mech Trooper class. His left arm looks pretty robotic, and his ankles look like they're bolted on. Maybe he's holding a new autocannon.

This is my guess. Putting a new class front and center on the promotional stuff makes sense to me.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

amanasleep posted:

New Storylines.
Adds new maps.

It might be asking too much, but I hope there's way more than this in the expansion. I want civ 5 levels of refinement and adding content.

[e] Though I'll happily take it if it's just to tide people over for a Apocalypse remake next year

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Muscle Tracer posted:

I've long wanted to see some operations where XCOM works in tandem with local military/police forces, and this would actually work really well with the problem you describe. If you can stun/free the brainwashed soldiers you're fighting, they join your side, or get better benefits from their bosses. I'd also love to see a mechanic where PSI attacks against a mind-controlled unit affected the unit's controller, not it itself, too.

If you wanted to cut out the middle man (Literally), you could attack the mind controller through the mind controlled unit, killing the unit in the process.

Edit: The world going to hell makes sense from a story perspective, considering that the situation room tells you neutral stuff about supply line issues, food shortages, infrastructure damage, the usual. I wouldn't be surprised if Dr Valen and Central decided to use the power of X-COM to instill some order in the way the UN should have.

Which raises the question - What terrestrial force can stand up to a Firestorming, Blaster Bombing, Mind Raping X-Com?

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 20, 2013

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Antares posted:

Does the Mac Steam store show a XCOM demo? There's one for PC, if in doubt that's your best bet for deciding if it runs acceptably.

I tried downloading the PC demo on the Steam Store page but it says that it's "not available on your current platform."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DrManiac posted:

It might be asking too much, but I hope there's way more than this in the expansion. I want civ 5 levels of refinement and adding content.

I hope so too. The stuff that's mentioned is welcome (MAPS!), but this is sounding like an only slightly more ambitious project than Slingshot.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I hope so too. The stuff that's mentioned is welcome (MAPS!), but this is sounding like an only slightly more ambitious project than Slingshot.

What? Slingshot was 3 maps and a single Cutscene [Also Hats]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MadHat posted:

What? Slingshot was 3 maps and a single Cutscene [Also Hats]

Okay, that was a bit hyperbolic.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I've always kind of hoped that any expansions to XCOM would follow somewhat the model of board games: add new events, maps, functionalities, enemies and goals, as XCOM is rather boardgamey in it's execution.

If any of this is true, then I am very, very happy about it all. Do we know at what time the Firaxis conference is gonna be at towmorrow?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

I tried downloading the PC demo on the Steam Store page but it says that it's "not available on your current platform."

I'd get it for your computer, as the expansion coming out is going to be available for Mac on the same day, but won't be out for consoles for a bit. It really doesn't reduce playability in the slightest—the only choppiness I encounter are in the "kill" animations that are pretty much fluff, and in one of the loading screens.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Revener posted:

Guess we'll find out tomorrow. By the way, for those wanting the bureau spoiler: Your character is wearing suspenders the whole time. Yeah, it's that lame.

Well, that was a fun accidental mouseover. Thanks for saving me the bandwidth, I guess.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I'm actually surprised that you could succeed in a Terror mission by saving only 1/18th of the civilians present. Heavier penalties for civilian deaths would go a long way towards encouraging players to actually do their job.

No amount of encouragement will keep me from thinking "We saved ONE guy!" isn't the best course of action, when it is a highway overpass full of double digit amounts of chrysalids with some cyberdisks thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Section Z posted:

No amount of encouragement will keep me from thinking "We saved ONE guy!" isn't the best course of action, when it is a highway overpass full of double digit amounts of chrysalids with some cyberdisks thrown in.

This right here. I don't care about any bonuses when doing anything other than grandma crawling through the map will result in a total wipe because you just aggroed 6 Chrysalids.

Also, anyone have any tips for the second slingshot mission? I can get through mission #1 no problem because all it requires is planning to get around airdropped enemies, but I just tried mission 2 and it was insane. How are you supposed to move through a crazy long map in 10 rounds with airdropping thinmen and mutons? Are all of the slingshot maps basically "try this 5 times until you memorize where every single airdrop comes down" because that's what it seems like for me.

Full wipe my first time trying that map. I'll probably just avoid doing slingshot from here on out because it comes so early. It seems like you gotta have an absolutely perfect start to even have a chance of getting through it.

• Locked thread