Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Yo, so who's going to the Fall Classic in September?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

gently caress, he's annoying to listen to. Is he legit autistic or something.

Others say focused.

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!

Roguelike posted:

Juicebox is streaming the King of Fighters beta. So far, the netcode doesn't look so good.
Who's he playing with? There haven't been more than 30 people on worldwide all day, so if he's playing with dudes in the UK that might be understandable, but if it's other CA (he is in CA right?) people that's pretty grim.

(Sorry, I'd check myself but it's not convenient at the moment)

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I really like the central idea of Divekick. Well, I like the central idea of fighting games in general, in that there is competition happening between two players. Done right, it's an amazing thing. Done wrong it's actively the least fun you can have with an entertainment system. I like players using their character's moves to try to outwit their opponent. I don't like the way most fighting games go about making that happen, especially in ''''high-level'''' play.

I am not a fan of touch-of-death combos, or the things that come pretty loving close enough that it barely matters unless you also know one, because at that point if the game is designed around figuring out and memorising combos like that you might as well have just made the basic attacks do tons of damage already. Divekick to me seems entirely about that idea of a fighting game I love so much, along with being the ultimate conclusion of the thing I just said about combos (flawed as it may be).

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mejwell posted:

Who's he playing with? There haven't been more than 30 people on worldwide all day, so if he's playing with dudes in the UK that might be understandable, but if it's other CA (he is in CA right?) people that's pretty grim.

(Sorry, I'd check myself but it's not convenient at the moment)

He's in Arizona. The first few people he played were from Japan/Mexico but he found a guy in the beta from Norcal and claims the connection is 'playable' and that it's better then it is on consoles.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

I really like the central idea of Divekick. Well, I like the central idea of fighting games in general, in that there is competition happening between two players. Done right, it's an amazing thing. Done wrong it's actively the least fun you can have with an entertainment system. I like players using their character's moves to try to outwit their opponent. I don't like the way most fighting games go about making that happen, especially in ''''high-level'''' play.

I am not a fan of touch-of-death combos, or the things that come pretty loving close enough that it barely matters unless you also know one, because at that point if the game is designed around figuring out and memorising combos like that you might as well have just made the basic attacks do tons of damage already. Divekick to me seems entirely about that idea of a fighting game I love so much, along with being the ultimate conclusion of the thing I just said about combos (flawed as it may be).

The worst thing that can happen to a competitive game is to be completely figured out. When you have something as barebones as Divekick you run a high risk of that actually happening. I suspect that with kick factor and headshots being what they are every match is going to be a 5-0 pretty soon.

The thing about combos is that combo execution is very rarely what separates good players from really good players, so the scare quotes around "high-level" really aren't necessary. And in games like SF4 where 1 frame links are so important, people do indeed complain about it; certainly very few people play SF4 because they like doing combos.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I could go into why I don't think Divekick will end up a deep game and not nearly as meaningful as even as SF2 but that would be a long boring post so just pretend I wrote paragraphs on decision trees here okay.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
It wouldn't really be boring... just write it!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Just a heads up that KOF Steam dropped $5 and early adopters got screwed out of $5. Might want to contact Steam if you bought it earlier.

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
Asses akimbo, that's gotta be some sort of mistake or misunderstanding, I can't possibly believe they would willingly gently caress over people like that. Has there ever been any precedent for this?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mejwell posted:

Asses akimbo, that's gotta be some sort of mistake or misunderstanding, I can't possibly believe they would willingly gently caress over people like that. Has there ever been any precedent for this?

Remember that game you bought the day before the steam sale?

The Iphone dropped in price from $600 to $400 after a single month because Apple knew that devotees would buy it before then, but the masses would bristle at the original price.

If someone emails them and gets a refund let me know, I'm at work and not going to bother without a successful trip report. Frankly snk can have my $5 if it means kof14 exists.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 20, 2013

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
There's a difference between a game going on sale after a period of time and a game that hasn't even been released yet having it's price dropped.

Mejwell fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 20, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Jeffrey posted:

If someone emails them and gets a refund let me know, I'm at work and not going to bother without a successful trip report. Frankly snk can have my $5 if it means kof14 exists.

I just sent in a ticket for a refund/re-order or $5 credited back to me, I'll update when I get a response.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Redmark posted:

The worst thing that can happen to a competitive game is to be completely figured out. When you have something as barebones as Divekick you run a high risk of that actually happening. I suspect that with kick factor and headshots being what they are every match is going to be a 5-0 pretty soon.

The thing about combos is that combo execution is very rarely what separates good players from really good players, so the scare quotes around "high-level" really aren't necessary. And in games like SF4 where 1 frame links are so important, people do indeed complain about it; certainly very few people play SF4 because they like doing combos.

You make a good point, but only if the game in question has a very obvious way of winning easily and consistently, which not all games do. If a player figures out how to completely break the game over their knee and make it not fun for anyone to play, (which isn't entirely the fault of the game, is it?), the game itself could probably have been designed a little better. My favourite fighting game, or at least my favourite game in which you try to outwit and defeat your opponent in single combat, is Dark Souls PVP. Even if the opponent has figured out the worst, most rear end in a top hat-y methods of winning, there is always a way to outwit someone and gain the upper hand. I don't mean to be reductionist, I'm absolutely sure that's a thing people can do in more traditional fighting games, but that's something I'll probably personally never be able to do because I can't slow down the flow of time far enough to pose enough of a challenge to a decent player. So I guess my main criticism of general fighting games is 'I'm not very good at them', but there's something excruciating about being made to watch yourself lose almost in slow motion, because someone else memorised a longer combo, and thus their hits are worth more when they actually land and you have to sit and watch it play out every time they get a successful hit in.

That's why Nidhogg and Divekick seem so appealing to me. All of their elements and mechanics just scream 'fight or die, right now.' In normal fighting games, which require such high levels of focus to properly get into, getting caught up in a combo, even an incredibly short one, still feels like the most painfully slow seconds of my life in which my only strategic choices are 'hope they gently caress up and drop the combo, and hold block in case that helps maybe.'

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Divekick is fun because it is in essence Fireball War The Game but with a buncha types of fireballs

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
You could, like, practice until you can do a combo.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

Frankly snk can have my $5 if it means kof14 exists.

Well SNK is hiring 3D modelers at the moment. People flipped their poo poo when the job posting first went up earlier in the year but we now live in a post Xrd world so who knows.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

just a butt posted:

Well SNK is hiring 3D modelers at the moment. People flipped their poo poo when the job posting first went up earlier in the year but we now live in a post Xrd world so who knows.

Their current sprites are actually rotoscopped 3D models. Hiring 3D people doesnt necessarilly mean theyre switching to 3d models.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Redmark posted:

The worst thing that can happen to a competitive game is to be completely figured out.

Uh, I think MvC2 would like a word with you :colbert:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

TheTofuShop posted:

Uh, I think MvC2 would like a word with you :colbert:

There are more degrees of freedom than character selection, though.

quote:

I don't mean to be reductionist, I'm absolutely sure that's a thing people can do in more traditional fighting games, but that's something I'll probably personally never be able to do because I can't slow down the flow of time far enough to pose enough of a challenge to a decent player. So I guess my main criticism of general fighting games is 'I'm not very good at them', but there's something excruciating about being made to watch yourself lose almost in slow motion, because someone else memorised a longer combo, and thus their hits are worth more when they actually land and you have to sit and watch it play out every time they get a successful hit in.

That's why Nidhogg and Divekick seem so appealing to me. All of their elements and mechanics just scream 'fight or die, right now.' In normal fighting games, which require such high levels of focus to properly get into, getting caught up in a combo, even an incredibly short one, still feels like the most painfully slow seconds of my life in which my only strategic choices are 'hope they gently caress up and drop the combo, and hold block in case that helps maybe.'
If the issue is "it takes too much practice to get to the interesting part", that's fair but keep in mind it's also how I feel about something like Starcraft, or tennis. Some people will have an easier part with executional requirements than others. I will struggle mightily playing tennis against someone because I can't hit the ball as hard or be as agile; to make up for it, I'd have to do a lot of training. For some the training is its own reward, others just want to hit balls competitively. It's unclear whether it makes it a more interesting line of endeavor.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Divekick looks like it'd be a pretty great party fighter, but I really can't see it getting any real competitive following. You're not going to see a whole lot of surprises in terms of how matches turn out due to the overall simplicity, so watching it can get boring very quickly.

It's on my wishlist for when I'm not poor, though.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Gutcruncher posted:

Their current sprites are actually rotoscopped 3D models. Hiring 3D people doesnt necessarilly mean theyre switching to 3d models.

You're nuts if you expect SNKP to do KOF 12/13 style sprites ever again.
Especially with the current president.

Personally I'm all for Xrd-style graphics for KOF if doesn't take them 7 years and 150% of their budget just to make the graphics of a half-complete game.

Maybe KOF 14 will actually be really drat good without so much development time and resources wasted on sprites.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Hbomberguy posted:

My favourite fighting game, or at least my favourite game in which you try to outwit and defeat your opponent in single combat, is Dark Souls PVP. Even if the opponent has figured out the worst, most rear end in a top hat-y methods of winning, there is always a way to outwit someone and gain the upper hand.

So it's the same as any good fighting game?

P.S. Dark Souls has execution requirements too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P62BetS1m8Q

You are at a significant disadvantage if you can't at least ring swap. Much like how, I don't know, you are at a significant disadvantage if you can't do a combo in a fighting game?!?!?! :iiam:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Brosnan posted:

You could, like, practice until you can do a combo.

Nah I just want to be good at everything without having to practice.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Snacksmaniac posted:

Nah I just want to be good at everything without having to practice.

I know you're being sarcastic, but that's legit why 99% of people who don't already play fighters are getting Divekick. Because they think that without combos or whatever, they won't have to practice to be good and everybody can realize their true strategic genius out of the gate.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If they were a strategic genius and can't combo, they'd still be pro at super turbo. I think you're right, except for the people who like to watch pro fighting games but aren't good at them. I think it's cool they can play the game they've watched on the streams like the pros do.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Broken Loose posted:

I know you're being sarcastic, but that's legit why 99% of people who don't already play fighters are getting Divekick. Because they think that without combos or whatever, they won't have to practice to be good and everybody can realize their true strategic genius out of the gate.

Well, that and the vomit inducing amount of injokes.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

whalestory posted:

It wouldn't really be boring... just write it!

You don't need to know any actual info. All you need to know is that he knows it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Babylon Astronaut posted:

If they were a strategic genius and can't combo, they'd still be pro at super turbo. I think you're right, except for the people who like to watch pro fighting games but aren't good at them. I think it's cool they can play the game they've watched on the streams like the pros do.

There's a ton of brick wall execution checks in ST that aren't really combo related but more "impossibly strict general timing" related.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Babylon Astronaut posted:

No, but see, super turbo has special moves and if those finger puzzles weren't in the way I'd be able to win! They should make shoryuken into a single button I can press.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Broken Loose posted:

No, but see, super turbo has special moves and if those finger puzzles weren't in the way I'd be able to win! They should make shoryuken into a single button I can press.

Didnt SFxT try that with autoblock and 1 button special moves?
There were downsides to easy mode gems, what people really want is pure benefits no downsides. Welfare warriors essentially

Bad players will always have something to complain about, making things easier wont make them better.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Anyway I have time so I'll elaborate past my dumb meta joke post.

What fighting games are is a wheel of choices. There's like basically thousands of "bad" choices, you kind of figure these out in the first few months. Stuff like not doing wakeup supers all the time, not doing unsafe moves randomly, etc. In Divekick, this kind of discovery doesn't exist. This might be a good or bad thing, but it definitely takes a chunk out of the lifespan of the game. You know how people would play Iceman and be immune to random chip damage, or XF3 Wesker would like trash people because no one knew how good the top tier actually were? This is the sort of phase of the game where people are discovering the real "decision trees" of the game.

What a good decision tree ends up being in an essence is you have a series of "right" choices that can be wrong if the other person does the "righter" choice. RPS, essentially. In a fireball vs grappler character kind of game, the RPS at full screen is really basic, but then you get close and your options are like "press sweep to interrupt early fb" "jump in for full combo" "block" "use fireball go through move" "jump straight up" etc, and all of these choices now lead into another DIFFERENT set of choices. In Divekick, since characters have like, 3 moves, usually, the decision tree is this.

"backdash" or "jump" -> "wait" "Kick". Repeat. Now, which of these choice is "right" definitely varies on the characters, special moves, and where the other dude is and which of the other choices he made, but in a fighting game, there's so many more options that the tree has more selections, and when you make a selection, the next's tree's selections are all totally different than the last one.

In a FG, the choices would change every single time a new move is done or position is gained. The decision tree is so varied that it becomes extremely difficult to even figure out the "right" choices for a few years, then when most of the "right" choice are figured out, you essentially end up with a very, very layed version of RPS where you're trying to make the "right" choice to implement you strategy, but have to change it constantly based on the other guys "right" choices. This really comes down to psychology, and ten the physical nature of the game (execution, reaction).

Now that you know that there are way more choices to be made, and it's harder to discover the "right" choices, try and think of taking a trip. Now, every time you hit a fork in the road, you have to choose which way to go. The more choices and the harder they are to make, the more depth the game has. A fighting game takes so long to deconstruct and figure out, that optimally playing the game is akin to figuring out how to get across the entire country with no maps or roadsigns. Divekick is a trip down the road to Wendy's when you're drunk.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 21, 2013

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fauxtool posted:

Bad players will always have something to complain about, making things easier wont make them better.

Exactly. Divekick isn't doing any favors for the genre. For a couple dozen hilarious examples of this, try going to the Skullgirls/Skullgirls Beta Steam forums and look at all the threads complaining about "infinite combos" that literally don't exist in the game.

The Joke is that even if you took away all the execution in the world, these people would still lose because they're not good and they're not smart. Strategy is something that gets better with practice, too, and these folks hate practicing.

VVVVVVVV

Mejwell posted:

Edit: in the interest of full disclosure I would also like to mention that I also think Skullgirls is obscene, for very different reasons.
shut the gently caress up; nobody cares

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 21, 2013

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
^^^ it was a joke loose lighten up

No one I know gives a poo poo about "low execution" of Divekick, they just think it's dumb and hilarious. Me, I think that a retail version of Divekick is pretty much the "Grumpycat Movie" of fighting games, and that $10 for it when you can get Skullgirls for $15 is obscene.

Edit: in the interest of full disclosure I would also like to mention that I also think Skullgirls is obscene, for very different reasons.

Mejwell fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 21, 2013

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Redmark posted:

Headshots followed by an inescapable death next round will become a common thing, but 5 rounds is still plenty of chances to realize what you're doing wrong. First time I played a seth he was also a really good one, I got 5-0'd but was already taking rounds by the second match. Interestingly, even Divekick has (relatively small) execution requirements: Mr. N can kara cancel his kick into float to fake people out, and you can hold float, release dive, hit dive again to do a double jump mid-float. It might be those little things that could give you the edge.

That said, my biggest criticism is that all the characters who don't have a normal jump or kick but something else actually takes away from the core concept a little bit. You have to learn how to deal with gimmick characters much like how you'd learn matchups, it's not as straight to mindgames as one would think.

For those on the fence, $10 is a good price! People may consider it to have the bare minimum, but if you care about netplay and having a bunch of ppl to play it has GGPO. I really think this is the kind of game that should have a demo though.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

apple posted:

For those on the fence, $10 is a good price! People may consider it to have the bare minimum, but if you care about netplay and having a bunch of ppl to play it has GGPO. I really think this is the kind of game that should have a demo though.
The problem with this is that the only context I'd really ever enjoy this game online isn't even available (a lobby with a bunch of friends).

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Brett824 posted:

The problem with this is that the only context I'd really ever enjoy this game online isn't even available (a lobby with a bunch of friends).

That's fair, from my perspective I just wanna get on and kick ppl in the head online every now and then. And drinking games if I have ppl over.

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
For anyone who may have contacted Steam about the King of Fighters pricing change, it's been reverted back to the original $25 preorder/$30 retail pricing. I think the most plausible explanation is SNK wanted to drop the price, but didn't realize people who had already preordered had already been charged, and therefore wouldn't receive the new discount, and when they did, they reverted it. Here's hoping we get an explanation.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Well, don't have to practice combos. There is still a strategy to Divekick, it just doesn't require as much annoying bullshit like hanging in Practice for ages or sitting and waiting for the game to declare you're dead because even though you have half a life bar left the enemy has hit you so you've already lost. If those things have never annoyed you, even if only when you were still new to the game, I don't really know what to say.

I have enjoyed Divekick so far. Even when I have lost in the most embarrassing ways like 5-0. There was something to learn from every fight other than what I learn from most matches in Skullgirls, which ironically for this comparison tends to be 'don't get hit by any attacks ever'. Of course it's easy to just say go back to training mode / maybe fighting games aren't for you / just block better / just memorise an equally long combo / the point of the game is making people feel annoyed, and I don't honestly think a game is bad because I happen to not be the best at it. I enjoy the challenge. I'm not asking for an auto-combo button or a comeback mechanic, I like Skullgirls exactly as it is. I just don't enjoy being beaten all the time because I'm not a masochist, and that's the main reason why I keep playing - to get better and make the fight more interesting for both sides. My favourite part of Skullgirls, though, is how the game is played out right before either player actually lands a hit. They are the most fun moments of the game, because both players are in complete control of their characters and are reacting to each other. Divekick is that part of fighting games embodied, and that's what made it so appealing to me.

I mostly agree with Waterbed, but having less buttons doesn't immediately give Divekick less depth. I loving love learning to bait your opponent, and seeing them learn not to take it or figure out how to hit you even when you're trying to juke them. This happens in every good fighting game, I'm not pretending this is the only game in which it happens, but my point is it doesn't make the metagame any less fun to play just because it's more stripped-down. I'm under the (possibly mistaken) impression that video games are about fun, and I have had fun playing Divekick. Not very good reasoning, I know, but still. I'd like there to be bigger lobbies though, or spectating at least.

Honest question: Are touch of death combos generally frowned upon, and why? Do you enjoy them as a concept? Please describe in your own words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you want a game with shorter combos that plays kinda like Skullgirls, Vampire Savior is free on PC and not much more expensive than Divekick on consoles.

This is what high-level Vampire Savior play looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEtZzP1cL6g

this post brought to you by Tuxedo Catfish, who is totally unbiased re: VSav

• Locked thread