Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I was hoping someone could help me out. Years ago I posted pictures of my Warhammer Fantasy High Elves on SA. I have since sold the army, and over the past year, I have lost every photo of the army I've ever taken. It's a longshot, but I was hoping someone could help me with finding the pictures I've posted.

This would have been around 2007, under this username, and the models in question were painted in a red scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Dirty Job posted:

I was hoping someone could help me out. Years ago I posted pictures of my Warhammer Fantasy High Elves on SA. I have since sold the army, and over the past year, I have lost every photo of the army I've ever taken. It's a longshot, but I was hoping someone could help me with finding the pictures I've posted.

This would have been around 2007, under this username, and the models in question were painted in a red scheme.

Very unlikely that they're still around. Most if not all of the WaffleImages mirrors are down now and that was before imgur. Any other hosting site would have almost certainly deleted them by now, especially if nobody has viewed the files in forever.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dirty Job posted:

Looks like you may have hosted them on a Photobucket account under the name mrpockets?

Might want to try here.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Pretty cool - are you going to brighten up the white a bit or leave it weathered like it seems to be?

The white is staying. I might add some chipping to his armor or something, it's a bit boring right now. Blood on the axe seems appropriate at well.

Anyway, here's a guy on a horse!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Verdugo posted:

Has anyone used Vallejo Smoke? I picked up a bottle of it at my FLGS, and from what I can tell it's a brown wash that needs to be thinned. Any advice?
VMC Smoke is best used as a glaze, although you can use it as a wash too.

What makes it different from normal washes is that it has a bunch of little particulate matter in it that makes the underlying material look textured and gritty (although it paints on smoothly). It also doesn't deepen reds like a normal brown wash would.

This BrushThralls article does a side-by-side comparison of a Smoke wash and a brown ink wash, over both flat brown and metallic base coats.

If you're painting Warmachine jacks, think of it as Instant Boiler Grime.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Would VMC Smoke work well through an Airbrush as a transparent black, for adding shadows to terrain?

I need to find a good source of transparent black.

Edit:

Inside corners are now done.

It only added four more pieces to the total part-list as well, and they are small.

Now I need to do something for the roof sections, id like to have some kind of railing, or cover up there.

And an example of a non-standard building shape.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 20, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
The best part about painting a mini that you can tell is gonna turn out poo poo, halfway thru? Going "gently caress it!" and just experimenting with things to see how they look.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Nurgle Ohm-Heldrake conversion finally underway:

That greenstuff bit holding the gun is the first time I've ever used greenstuff. It was very fun! To get a good texture I frantically looked around my room for something, then I used the tentacles on my Cthulhu figure. Came out allright. Here is the original model for comparison:

The plan is to get a cool pair of wings and stick that on the top of the model, then mount that on a large flying base. The legs are going to go on as well, I just have to see if I can somehow make it look more like it's flying, not crawling. I might get some HE griffon wings, which could look great, since it's so very out of place for a big bug like this and makes for a very mutated Chaos monstrosity. I also bought a cheap dragon model from Regiments of Renown (apparently same chassis as Malekith dragon) and might cut the wings from that. Not sure about the look, having bat/dragon wings. Not weird enough. Plus the dragon model might make for a great Lord of Change conversion after this!

I then plan to paint Nausicaa (girl model) gray and make a terrain statue out of it. Might look like something that was commemorating a martyr, or something found outside of an orphanage. It might look very tragic and reminiscent of the horrors of war. So in other words, great for Warhammer! The little fox-bunny might look good on the statue's base, painted as a living thing. That way it might look like the little thing keeps coming to Nausicaa's memorial, long after she died. Meanwhile a mutated, flying Ohm is raining death upon a war-torn landscape.

Anyway, I'd love some tips on clever things to do. You can put missiles on the side so that it looks like it was hit by them and they're stuck in it, as depicted on the model box image. I'd love to do some effects that look like gore or pus leaking out of the wounds. Some green ichor around the gun or legs or something would also be great. Any advice or tips on how do to that, what products to use/avoid? Very inexperienced with this sort of stuff, would appreciate anything that could be of assistance!

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

There's a slight chance I'm mentally and physically incapable of painting my plastic dudes. I spent part of the afternoon watching videos on washes and how to make them and base coats and etc...

Here's the fruit of my labor:

IMG Edit: too big, no way to resize on this IPad. Chaos Marine completely covered in a red wash that nothing can seem to layer on top of.

I have no idea what to do. Either too much primer shows through and I can't get a color to settle OR I can't apply any other color onto the base. I watched a video where a guy just takes an Ork and applies a wash to the entire body, then the arms, then the details, and so on with no issues. I try it and all I can see is red or primer + red.

Help? I think I'm using enough water but the drat "wash" never settles.

Edit: Like if I try to apply a gunmetal gray wash to that gun it literally won't work. It'll be red with sligh traces of gray.

It's kinda hard to say exactly what is going wrong without knowing what brand of paints and supplies and techniques are being used but just off the top of my head:

If you are washing something with a pre-formulated wash, the wash doesn't need to be watered down.
Don't try to make your own washes if you are just getting into painting. It's not as easy as any YouTube video makes it look, making your own washes and/or airbrush paints.
Metallic paints don't turn into washes. An easy way to make something look metallic is do a base coat of black/dark gray and then dry brush on the metallic paint.
If your paint just runs off the model then you thinned it down too much. Your primer might have gone bad as well.

If you get those pictures up you'll get a lot of pointers from here. Definitely don't quit on a miniature because it seems like it's coming out bad, you'll never improve your skills without following all the way through. Miniatures can always be stripped a year from now when your painting has improved. I'm currently stripping down the first miniatures I ever painted almost a year and a half ago.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 20, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I finished painting my guys for the oath thread, but still needed to weather them. I didn't want to learn to use pigments this time (despite buying them specifically for this month's theme), so I hit drybrushed some rust and washed some parts brown to get 'em dirty. Thebn I based both of them in mud.

For the farmer guy, I mixed dark brown paint with my snow flock and slathered that on there, and then hit it with a 2:1 medium:water mix to set it in. I did this because I forgot that I (1) Have some basing materials and (2) Have some water effects stuff. For the knight guy, I remembered both (1) and (2) and mixed Secret Weapon's Realistic Water with my dirt flock and slathered that on the base and the mini's feet. Then I dropped some Marsh Blend static grass and sort of pushed it down into the mud to break things up a bit.

I have no idea how either one of these are going to look come morning when they're all dry - I just hope I didn't screw up the guys, because I was pretty proud of the paint jobs on both of them. It's a learning experience either way, though!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I got the email yesterday...my Reaper Bones are on the way! Makes me wish I had more money when I'd pledged but a) I will have a MASSIVE backlog of models to paint when I get them anyway, and b) they'll be cheap enough I can pick them up whenever I want.

Bolverkur posted:

Nurgle Ohm-Heldrake conversion finally underway:

That greenstuff bit holding the gun is the first time I've ever used greenstuff. It was very fun! To get a good texture I frantically looked around my room for something, then I used the tentacles on my Cthulhu figure. Came out allright. Here is the original model for comparison:

The plan is to get a cool pair of wings and stick that on the top of the model, then mount that on a large flying base. The legs are going to go on as well, I just have to see if I can somehow make it look more like it's flying, not crawling. I might get some HE griffon wings, which could look great, since it's so very out of place for a big bug like this and makes for a very mutated Chaos monstrosity. I also bought a cheap dragon model from Regiments of Renown (apparently same chassis as Malekith dragon) and might cut the wings from that. Not sure about the look, having bat/dragon wings. Not weird enough. Plus the dragon model might make for a great Lord of Change conversion after this!

I then plan to paint Nausicaa (girl model) gray and make a terrain statue out of it. Might look like something that was commemorating a martyr, or something found outside of an orphanage. It might look very tragic and reminiscent of the horrors of war. So in other words, great for Warhammer! The little fox-bunny might look good on the statue's base, painted as a living thing. That way it might look like the little thing keeps coming to Nausicaa's memorial, long after she died. Meanwhile a mutated, flying Ohm is raining death upon a war-torn landscape.

Anyway, I'd love some tips on clever things to do. You can put missiles on the side so that it looks like it was hit by them and they're stuck in it, as depicted on the model box image. I'd love to do some effects that look like gore or pus leaking out of the wounds. Some green ichor around the gun or legs or something would also be great. Any advice or tips on how do to that, what products to use/avoid? Very inexperienced with this sort of stuff, would appreciate anything that could be of assistance!

Ah wow, that's awesome! Perfect size, maybe just a *tiny* bit too big but still really cool. I'm planning to make something similar to the back end of that for my heldrake-spam list, and hopefully cast it if it's any good.

That's so cool the squirrel-fox is included - I actually have the stuffed animal version on a shelf (life-size). I'm a sucker for most Ghibli stuff...

Anyway - ideas for wounds and wings:
create a couple of depressions/divots on the sides and Green Stuff some broken chitin, as well as some ooze coming out of them
try water effects or hot glue, dripping from the wounds, mouth or rear end, and stain it with a brown or green wash for extra ickiness
try the wings (and legs maybe!) from the Nurgle Plague Drones, ebay sellers list them, I picked up a couple of pairs for my heldrakes-to-be
if you want to go further with the mutated monstrosity look with out-of-place wings try Dark Eldar Scourge wings, very popular seller with bitz sellers

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Verdugo posted:

Has anyone used Vallejo Smoke? I picked up a bottle of it at my FLGS, and from what I can tell it's a brown wash that needs to be thinned. Any advice?

I use it all the time for all sorts of stuff. For most uses you should thin it way down and it will stain metals really nice. Pretty much instant weathering. I sometimes use it for regular shadows too in the deepest parts and then I go straight from the bottle with a teeny amount of water just get better flow. It takes some time to dry when it's undiluted so you can get some pretty good transitions through blending with it. It's a very fun medium to play around with and you can also do stuff like add a small amount to water effects to get more naturally looking puddles on bases and stuff.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Achmed Jones posted:

I finished painting my guys for the oath thread, but still needed to weather them. I didn't want to learn to use pigments this time (despite buying them specifically for this month's theme), so I hit drybrushed some rust and washed some parts brown to get 'em dirty. Thebn I based both of them in mud.

For the farmer guy, I mixed dark brown paint with my snow flock and slathered that on there, and then hit it with a 2:1 medium:water mix to set it in. I did this because I forgot that I (1) Have some basing materials and (2) Have some water effects stuff. For the knight guy, I remembered both (1) and (2) and mixed Secret Weapon's Realistic Water with my dirt flock and slathered that on the base and the mini's feet. Then I dropped some Marsh Blend static grass and sort of pushed it down into the mud to break things up a bit.

I have no idea how either one of these are going to look come morning when they're all dry - I just hope I didn't screw up the guys, because I was pretty proud of the paint jobs on both of them. It's a learning experience either way, though!

I would say that you should consider trying your pigments out anyway. There's a number of fantastic methods to try. You could cake the pigment on like a thick paste and when it dries, wipe it away from the ridges. You can slather it on dry and wipe it off with a qtip and a bit of water. You could also just lightly apply the dust in various areas and finish it all up with a bit of alcohol to keep it in place (if you sealed prior, don't do this without a varnish protecting your prior work). It's such a simple and easy step that for you to not start messing with it seems a shame. If you seal your model before trying it out you can literally wash away any mistakes you dislike.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

After much teeth-gnashing and Gods-cursing, I managed to paint my Chaos Marines. I'll spare you a bunch of really bad pictures (mostly due to light issues) and just post one lone dude.

Critique please. I actually kind of like how it came out. With the lack of lighting you can't really see the gold trim or the highlighting, but I think for a beginner it's okay.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think for a beginner it looks very good, especially considering the difficulty taking a good picture.

I feel like it bears repeating: if you can apply areas of color that don't look like caky, streaky poo poo and have reasonably good-looking edges, hit it with an appropriate wash, and maybe for extra credit do something that could be called highlighting, then you are already MILES ahead of the game by many metrics. Hell, what I just described is 95% of what I personally do still and my models not only look good on the table in my eyes, but get more than their fair share of compliments (this is obviously context-specific; I don't play with any Golden Daemon winners or anything).

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

JerryLee posted:

I think for a beginner it looks very good, especially considering the difficulty taking a good picture.

I feel like it bears repeating: if you can apply areas of color that don't look like caky, streaky poo poo and have reasonably good-looking edges, hit it with an appropriate wash, and maybe for extra credit do something that could be called highlighting, then you are already MILES ahead of the game by many metrics. Hell, what I just described is 95% of what I personally do still and my models not only look good on the table in my eyes, but get more than their fair share of compliments (this is obviously context-specific; I don't play with any Golden Daemon winners or anything).

Thank you... it's like suddenly everything clicked. I highlighted the bolter in gunmetal gray, the armor and gold trim in white, then doused the rest in Nuln Oil wash. After it dried, I was super proud of it and couldn't wait to post it. It won't win awards, but it's nice to have an okay-looking model after that lovely Cultist I painted.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009
Whats the secret to getting wash to apply without it drying too quickly and looking splotchy? I tend to avoid washes on large flat surfaces for this reason.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Avoid using washes on large flat surfaces, mostly. They're for corners and edges, nooks and crannies, places that would give drop shadows. So paint them into those corners.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009
Awesome, that's what I have been doing.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Bavius posted:

I would say that you should consider trying your pigments out anyway. There's a number of fantastic methods to try. You could cake the pigment on like a thick paste and when it dries, wipe it away from the ridges. You can slather it on dry and wipe it off with a qtip and a bit of water. You could also just lightly apply the dust in various areas and finish it all up with a bit of alcohol to keep it in place (if you sealed prior, don't do this without a varnish protecting your prior work). It's such a simple and easy step that for you to not start messing with it seems a shame. If you seal your model before trying it out you can literally wash away any mistakes you dislike.

I took your advice and went for it! I'm not sure how successful I was, but I'm glad I got into the pigments. I'm not so great at seeing reds, so a lot of the application was guesswork. I applied the pigments with a brush and then finished with alcohol to hold them in place. Here's the result:

And here's the farmer (no pigments for him, though), because why not!

Criticism is highly appreciated!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also don't be too stingy with the wash. If it's drying too quickly, you're not applying enough. Don't slather your mini in it, obviously, but keep in mind that like 90% of it's going to evaporate away.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I don't have that many problems using washes to shade larger areas, especially since the new line of GW washes came out (they seem to be formulated better for avoiding pooling, though it's still not foolproof). It helps for me when I make sure to spread it evenly and smoothly before it dries out.

This is assuming you're talking about explicit splotching/pooling. There are usually some gentle variations in shade across a large area, but that's usually the look I'm going for, and when it's not I find that touching up with the original color is often easier than trying to pin wash from the get-go.

vvv Okay, yeah, for relatively huge models like vehicles, you'd want to do that (to avoid wasting wash if nothing else). I was thinking of stuff like power armor.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 20, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Akay posted:

Whats the secret to getting wash to apply without it drying too quickly and looking splotchy? I tend to avoid washes on large flat surfaces for this reason.

This is the secret.

Matgash posted:

Base coat

Washed

Cleaned up

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also slop wash all the hell over flat broad surfaces and then tidy it up with your base color after it's dried. That's how I shaded that huge French tank earlier in the thread, and I think it worked well.

E F'ing B

moths fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 20, 2013

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Akay posted:

Pretty much everything has already been said. Avoid surfaces where the wash won't run into a crevice. You can use your brush like a siphon to pull excess wash off if you dab the brush on a paper towel beforehand. Go back in and paint over the excess wash. You can also dry brush the base over the excess wash and that will leave the model with more gradual shading instead of super clean lines. Base, wash, dry brush is a solid method to give your models shading depth very quickly.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 20, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah good call, the whole thing you do with a brush to siphon up excess wash is called Capillary Action. basically water can slip in narrow spaces without much help from outside sources, so what you do is make sure your brush is nice and dry and then dip it into your wash or whatever, and it'll soak up into the brush.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Another tip, especially on larger areas or vehicles is to gloss varnish before adding the wash as the wash will flow much more easily into the correct areas and its much easier to correct overspill with a cotton bud and water or alcohol.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished my Deathwing Knights! If anyone paints a full squad of 10 of these, they are a masochist.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painting overly-detailed terminators- been there, done that, never again. Look pretty good though I think you could clean up the green highlights. Other than that, sweet stuff as always.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Second Mierce figure I've painted, Galhwch Lladd Llaw. Figure stands about a full head taller than the plastic Demon Prince from GW.

Tried some thing a little new for the metallics. Boltgun, Fuegan Orange glaze over everything, Devlan on top of that, highlights with Mithril. Turned out very groovy, lots of variety, looks better than my standard Devlan over Boltgun I've been using for a while. Interested in trying the same thing with the other glazes.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I really like the look of that glaze. The rest of your technique is pretty similar to how I do metallics, so I'll have to try that out.

Do you have some secret hoard of Boltgun/Mithril? If so I hate you. I'm just about out and saving them for special models. I hate the new GW metallics. P3 stuff is not terrible, but just not the same.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The search for my old pictures continues, but good news is that I managed to find a couple really old ones on the Warseer gallery!

This is the first high elf I've ever painted. It feels good to reminisce.

edit: Holy gently caress, I found them. I can't believe I found them.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 21, 2013

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Fyrbrand posted:

I really like the look of that glaze. The rest of your technique is pretty similar to how I do metallics, so I'll have to try that out.

Do you have some secret hoard of Boltgun/Mithril? If so I hate you. I'm just about out and saving them for special models. I hate the new GW metallics. P3 stuff is not terrible, but just not the same.

I'm using one of the new pots of Boltgun. Not as good as the old stuff, not quite as smooth, but still way better than P3. I've been using the same pot of Mithril forever it feels like, only use it for highlights really, should last me a while unless it dries out on me. I pretty much despise all other metallics besides those two, it's a good thing Boltgun takes so well to manipulating it with washes/glazes.

Down to a little under two pots of Devlan though. Agrax and the Strong Tone quickshade from Warpaints are acceptable substitutes, but they don't have the same matte effect as Devlan, which is in full force on this model.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Is there a good trick to getting persistent dried paint off brushes?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

You gotta condition those brushes son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoovPge1Rq4

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Can some of you guys post your lovely starter models, then how good you got 3 months later. Seeing the poo poo that I paint compared to some of the gems in this thread is kinda discouraging. :smith:

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Oxford Comma posted:

Can some of you guys post your lovely starter models, then how good you got 3 months later. Seeing the poo poo that I paint compared to some of the gems in this thread is kinda discouraging. :smith:

I will do this, just for you, when I get home.

My first years of models are appallingly bad, despite my best effort. Just gotta keep cracking, brave gentlegoon.

The best advice I can give here is to be accepting of feedback and implement it on your next model. It won't take you long at all to get to the level of this thread if that is where you want to be.

You're a diamond in the rough :buddy:.

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 21, 2013

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

Painting overly-detailed terminators- been there, done that, never again. Look pretty good though I think you could clean up the green highlights. Other than that, sweet stuff as always.
Thanks dude. I think it had been just long enough for me to forget what a pain in the dick the regular Dark Vengeance Terminators were before I painted these dudes, because holy gently caress were those guys entirely too detailed too. Part of me would clean these guys up but I have absolutely no desire to bring a brush near these models ever again. It's gonna be so refreshing to paint those 2nd ed Termies I've got lying around.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Oxford Comma posted:

Tell you what, I'll dig out my first painted model - a broadside and put it side-by-side with my latest model when I get off work tomorrow morning. I'm curious to see how terrible I still am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Oxford Comma posted:

How about Ten year to 14 year old me? this is the last time I painted regually.

I'd hate to see the desert that these guys are cammoed for.....

And after a 15 year break from painting, this is what I have been able to do for the oath thread.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 21, 2013

• Locked thread