Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Tail of the dragon shot pre-rollbar:

I tried to keep the mods as tasteful and unobnoxious as possible. its even on year-correct (if not trim correct) wheels, rather than gigantic RPF1s or something similar.

Don't want 15" wheels ruining the aesthetic. I haven't driven the Miata at Deals Gap since 2010. :smith:

The car is basically sorted for VIR Full next month; it's going to be the first time on Full and I'm kinda excited. Here's two pictures of the car at VIR earlier in the year:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
This is my little FRS. It's a great little car for daily driving and track days. Light on gas, light on consumables (even on track days) and will probably prove to be reliable. I'm looking to achieve 240 HP (~200 WHP) naturally aspirated on pump gas (94 octane). Also looking to bring the car down to 2600lbs while maintaining daily driving characteristics and reliability. I have a Unichip tune, TRD Cold air intake, TRD cat back exhaust and light weight crank pulley so far. Will be getting a high flow catted front pipe / down-pipe & headers fairly soon.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hit an Apex posted:

It works. But I prefer not to mess with a happy car and turn it on! It is the first system, R12 and all, no Tropic Air.

You need to run it once in a while, otherwise it breaks. Running it clears out the moisture etc. in the system.

Mordred
Mar 15, 2007

Bought it two years ago. Still happy.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Holy. poo poo.

I cannot begin to put words together to describe how jealous I am.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 20, 2013

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

blk posted:

You probably already know, but that's a Mk 2, Mk 3 would be the MR2 Spyder.

BANNED USER - stock suspension on that Mk 2 or ?

Doh yeah that's what I meant. MK2. I never cared for the last gen MR2s.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

It looks like someone took a giant staple gun to that Corvette.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

davebo posted:

It looks like someone took a giant staple gun to that Corvette.

I disagree.

So does Hannibal.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

West SAAB Story posted:

I disagree.

So does Hannibal.

PUT THE LOTION IN THE BACKSEAT

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

psssSSSSSSHHHHHHH TOOTOOTootootoo

Linux Nazi posted:

Doh yeah that's what I meant. MK2. I never cared for the last gen MR2s.

The Mk3 was underrated. It weighed only ~2200lbs and was the best handling of the 3 generations of MR2s. I think the reason it has a bad rap is because of the lowish horsepower numbers and the bland styling.

Try to think of it as a slightly heavier, less expensive Lotus Elise. :allears:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can fit a Lexus V6 in the back of the ZZW30s...

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I really like what AB Flug did to the MRS:

But I love fiberglass so ymmv

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Phone posted:

You can fit a Lexus V6 in the back of the ZZW30s...

or a TRD supercharged 2zz... But it's still ugly as poo poo and is why the mk2 still has a bigger following.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Mk3 is a great car and looks infinitely better as a hardtop.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Octopus Magic posted:

I really like what AB Flug did to the MRS:

But I love fiberglass so ymmv

At least it looks better than stock.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

animeliker posted:

The Mk3 is a great car and looks infinitely better as a hardtop.

This times a million.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

GramCracker posted:

Holy. poo poo.

I cannot begin to put words together to describe how jealous I am.

It's all fun and games until you try to get parts for it. Audi has a great reputation for just throwing out their stock of less sought-after parts without notice. Was going to do the timing belt on the car, no dice, not a timing belt to find. The best part is that all no one else makes a timing belt for the RS2! Luckily I found a local supplier that still has them. And if you're lucky enough to find a part they still have, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for it! $250 for a door hinge? Come on!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WTF, isn't it just a normal 2.2L 5-cylinder Audi timing belt?

I thought the bespoke parts where only related to the brakes, suspension and engine internals.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

KozmoNaut posted:

WTF, isn't it just a normal 2.2L 5-cylinder Audi timing belt?

I thought the bespoke parts where only related to the brakes, suspension and engine internals.

3B/RR: 147 teeth
ABY/AAN: 151 teeth
ADU: 150 teeth

I've tried shopping around, but everyone sells 151 teeth belts as RS2 belts. I find it pretty amazing that they discontinue such a critical part.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's some grade-A bullshit right there, goddamn.

Can the engine be modded to take one of the other belts or are you just royally hosed over when the world finally runs out of 150-tooth belts? Even worse, if they're all NOS, the rubber is deteriorating even without being used, who knows how old the belts you're getting are.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I thought all the German brands kept old stuff in stock and even made parts if your pockets are deep enough. I know Porsche and Mercedes does it.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Picked up a `05 LGT Wagon, 5MT, bunch of extras. Extremely happy with it right now.

Shot of the stable with the e30 and soon to be gone Z24 beater in the backround. Girlfriend's Elantra driving appliance in the front.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

KozmoNaut posted:

That's some grade-A bullshit right there, goddamn.

Can the engine be modded to take one of the other belts or are you just royally hosed over when the world finally runs out of 150-tooth belts? Even worse, if they're all NOS, the rubber is deteriorating even without being used, who knows how old the belts you're getting are.

Looks like the Audi Tradition shop sells them now, they buy out the stock that Audi's going to throw away and sell it on their website, but as you say, rubber deteriorates. If i remember correctly you can use the belt and water pump from an S2, so it looks like I'll have to do that the next time!

G-Mach posted:

I thought all the German brands kept old stuff in stock and even made parts if your pockets are deep enough. I know Porsche and Mercedes does it.

https://trshop.audi.de has some of the rarer parts for sale, still with eye-watering prices.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

G-Mach posted:

Porsche keeps stuff in stock to some extent. In the last few years they shipped all the remaining 944 (and 968 I believe) inventory back to Der Fatherland so now it takes forever if you need a non-common part that your parts house doesn't stock themselves. Of course most of those parts are crazy expensive compared to the value of the cars ($1500 front spoiler, anyone? Or can I interest you in a $2300 hood perhaps?).

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

afen posted:

Looks like the Audi Tradition shop sells them now, they buy out the stock that Audi's going to throw away and sell it on their website, but as you say, rubber deteriorates. If i remember correctly you can use the belt and water pump from an S2, so it looks like I'll have to do that the next time!

https://trshop.audi.de has some of the rarer parts for sale, still with eye-watering prices.

Your problem is trying to buy from Audi, if you want a nice laugh call up Audi and ask how much a new K24 costs. Send an email to 034 motorsports, they have most RS2 specific hardware lying around.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Muffinpox posted:

Your problem is trying to buy from Audi, if you want a nice laugh call up Audi and ask how much a new K24 costs. Send an email to 034 motorsports, they have most RS2 specific hardware lying around.

I actually did that! A brand new K24-7200 from the dealers in Norway costs about $4800. Got one from Germany for $1300 instead.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

afen posted:

It's all fun and games until you try to get parts for it. Audi has a great reputation for just throwing out their stock of less sought-after parts without notice. Was going to do the timing belt on the car, no dice, not a timing belt to find. The best part is that all no one else makes a timing belt for the RS2! Luckily I found a local supplier that still has them. And if you're lucky enough to find a part they still have, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for it! $250 for a door hinge? Come on!

034 Motorsport (located here in California) has almost anything imaginable for Audi's 5cyl motors. Regardless of hard to find parts, I'd still buy one in a heartbeat; worry about parts later.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

afen posted:

I actually did that! A brand new K24-7200 from the dealers in Norway costs about $4800. Got one from Germany for $1300 instead.

Why go with a new one? The k series are journal bearing and super easy to rebuild.

For $1300 you can get a 034 motorsports GT28RS which is a bolt on ball bearing turbo thanks to the k16 hot side :getin:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Very very nice! I am considering getting those wheels for my 944 S2 and selling on the D90s.

Went out for a drive myself.

Falken fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 21, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

G-Mach posted:

VW is not Porsche or Mercedes.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I always get a wide eyed stare accompanied with a slack jaw when I tell my coworkers how much a new clutch, water pump etc etc will cost for my 944 whenever I'll need to get new parts.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Noise Complaint posted:

Picked up a `05 LGT Wagon, 5MT, bunch of extras. Extremely happy with it right now.

Shot of the stable with the e30 and soon to be gone Z24 beater in the backround. Girlfriend's Elantra driving appliance in the front.

Nice LGT; I'm always passively looking for one. Mind if I ask what you paid/mileage/market?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Phone posted:

VW is not Porsche

I think VW and Porsche still disagree on that one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Good point, I had forgotten about that. So now it's just BMW, Mercedes, and VW and it's 15 brands from Germany?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

blk posted:

Nice LGT; I'm always passively looking for one. Mind if I ask what you paid/mileage/market?

$11,750, 90k miles, New England.

The car came with quite a few upgrades and extras that I was glad to pay a premium for, but I still feel like I got a decent price considering the 3 ring binder filled to the brim with receipts I got with it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Noise Complaint posted:

$11,750, 90k miles, New England.

The car came with quite a few upgrades and extras that I was glad to pay a premium for, but I still feel like I got a decent price considering the 3 ring binder filled to the brim with receipts I got with it.

That's a great price compared to here in the PacNW. Nice work.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Phone posted:

Good point, I had forgotten about that. So now it's just BMW, Mercedes, and VW and it's 15 brands from Germany?

Pretty much, but VW is almost the whole enchilada. VW = Bentley, Bugatti, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, SEAT, Ducati, and of course, Lamborghini. MBZ is big but doesn't do the subsidiary thing and BMW just has Rolls-Royce and Mini.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Das Volk posted:

Pretty much, but VW is almost the whole enchilada. VW = Bentley, Bugatti, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, SEAT, Ducati, and of course, Lamborghini. MBZ is big but doesn't do the subsidiary thing and BMW just has Rolls-Royce and Mini.

Mercedes-Benz also own Smart.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Das Volk posted:

MBZ is big but doesn't do the subsidiary thing

... anymore. They tried it, hard core, by buying Chrysler. And they failed miserably and disastrously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Das Volk posted:

As far as I understood it VW to technically owns Porsche but the Porsche family technically own about 50 percent of VW.