Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
We also have the ability to password protect prints on the MFPs, though even with step by step instructions and pretty pictures it's one of those things typically deemed "too complicated"..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

skipdogg posted:

What the hells going on? We've never really had an issue with Lync.

Lync is pretty cool. But nothing is cool once it gets to THE CLOUD.

Microsoft + "cloud" = :smithcloud:

The three phases of application deployment in the cloud:
:yayclod: :yaycloud: :smithcloud:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

GargleBlaster posted:

We also have the ability to password protect prints on the MFPs, though even with step by step instructions and pretty pictures it's one of those things typically deemed "too complicated"..

I enjoy not being in corporate IT for that reason. If somebody says "that's too complicated" in response to me taking time out of my day to answer a question they asked, I get to be a snarky child and say "Well, then I guess you aren't going to get what you want." and go back to work.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You bastards who are allowed to use Lync :argh:

The president of the company has denied corporate IM. He says it will remove face to face and phone conversations and also be non productive. He is the same guy who 20 years ago famously said "what the gently caress do we need email for?".

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

GreenNight posted:

You bastards who are allowed to use Lync :argh:

The president of the company has denied corporate IM. He says it will remove face to face and phone conversations and also be non productive. He is the same guy who 20 years ago famously said "what the gently caress do we need email for?".

We used to use Lync for about 6 months. Now we use some chat program built into the softphone software which is terrible

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I had set up an IRC server for our team, but our idiot security folks made me shut it down "because our scanner says its an exploit."

I wish I was kidding.

Lync isnt so bad, because there are plugins for it for Pidgin.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
This is why I setup Jabber and vnc. It's not as nice looking or as integrated as lync, but it works fairly well.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
We're having serious talks about using Trillian For Business.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

nitrogen posted:

I had set up an IRC server for our team, but our idiot security folks made me shut it down "because our scanner says its an exploit."

A guy I know from college spent most of his freshman year being banned from the dorm network because the network folks detected his computer communicating with bot C&C servers. After he stopped using IRC from his desktop he stopped getting banned from the dorm network. Obviously the only reason you would have a connection to the freenode IRC servers is because you have a bot on your computer.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
We use SameTime, and I am 100% sure that we use it because somebody paid a lot of money for it before realizing it was garbage, and now they want to justify the purchase.

:smith:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

I just got a phone call... "One of the keys on my laptop keyboard broke off. I need a new laptop". Because the slightest thing being broken warrants an entirely new device. Some users caught wind of the tech department issuing new laptops to people who had some severely old machines or ones that were damaged so they've been trying to break their currently working ones (which are Core i3s at the minimum) in order to get a new one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I keep a D610 around for poo poo like that. Oh, here's your loaner, I'll let you know when this one is fixed. Enjoy WindowsXP on a single core laptop with a 5400 rpm drive and 2GB of RAM. Take better care of your poo poo.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Helushune posted:

I just got a phone call... "One of the keys on my laptop keyboard broke off. I need a new laptop". Because the slightest thing being broken warrants an entirely new device.

Well, if it was something like a space/backspace/modifier key that gets used all the time it'd at least be worth replacing the keyboard...

This message brought to you by an idiot who tried to "fix" his laptop's space bar.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You know what my job is right now? Upgrading 100 or so Windows XP desktops to Windows 7. No not buying them new computers, upgrading the OS to Windows 7. We're talking HP D530s desktops which are basically Pentium 4's.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

fivre posted:

Well, if it was something like a space/backspace/modifier key that gets used all the time it'd at least be worth replacing the keyboard...

This message brought to you by an idiot who tried to "fix" his laptop's space bar.

http://laptopkey.com is pretty great. I loved the experience of getting a single laptop keyboard key in an envelope and snapping it in.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

skipdogg posted:

I keep a D610 around for poo poo like that. Oh, here's your loaner, I'll let you know when this one is fixed. Enjoy WindowsXP on a single core laptop with a 5400 rpm drive and 2GB of RAM. Take better care of your poo poo.

You've inspired me to do the same. We recently found a P2-233 stashed away in a storage closet running Windows 98 that we've been using to play old dos games on. That would probably work...

fivre posted:

I'm fine with keyboard replacements, those need to happen pretty frequently. This person literally took their finger nail and popped off a key and hoped I wouldn't try to put it back on. I pushed it back on, smiled at them, and said "Good thing we didn't have to get you a brand new one, huh?". The look of disappointment was almost picture worthy.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

GreenNight posted:

He says it will remove face to face and phone conversations and also be non productive.

"Lync is face to face and phone conversations." :smug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fluppet posted:

And now we're into day two of lync not working, office 365 really is a loving joke.

The outages are seriously problematic, but what's even worse is that the support is pretty much the standard MS "we'll get to you at some point" style poo poo. Generally when your entire cloud-based infrastructure goes down you need to talk to somebody pretty quickly, not in a day when they finally get to your name on the list. And then they read a loving script.

But I mean, the fact that MS runs their own server solutions in "the cloud" with about the same efficiency as a guy doing it out of his garage is pretty hilarious at the same time it is infuriating.

EDIT:

nitrogen posted:

Lync isnt so bad, because there are plugins for it for Pidgin.

Could you link me to the one you use? I couldn't find one that worked.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 21, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GreenNight posted:

You know what my job is right now? Upgrading 100 or so Windows XP desktops to Windows 7. No not buying them new computers, upgrading the OS to Windows 7. We're talking HP D530s desktops which are basically Pentium 4's.

I just did this to a Dell GX280 and GX620 and will be delivering it to one of our sites in an hour. Win 7 32bit installed, 2gb of RAM. That's the status quo in Sirotan land.

I did get approved to buy 5 whole new desktops though. Which means I can finally recycle the remaining Dimension 4600's that I would have needed to deploy if someone's computer died.

Inspector_71 posted:

This is what you want: http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet_sipe/releases/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

Dell GX280

:gonk:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its almost like switching to third-party services outside of your control could be a bad idea

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I think maybe 4 of our 18 locations have desktops with more than one core. :pseudo:

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

The outages are seriously problematic, but what's even worse is that the support is pretty much the standard MS "we'll get to you at some point" style poo poo. Generally when your entire cloud-based infrastructure goes down you need to talk to somebody pretty quickly, not in a day when they finally get to your name on the list. And then they read a loving script.

But I mean, the fact that MS runs their own server solutions in "the cloud" with about the same efficiency as a guy doing it out of his garage is pretty hilarious at the same time it is infuriating.

EDIT:

The best part is that MS also uses their own solutions. Yep, that means their internal email/Lync is on Office 365. Yep, it's just as good as it is for consumers.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Comradephate posted:

We use SameTime, and I am 100% sure that we use it because somebody paid a lot of money for it before realizing it was garbage, and now they want to justify the purchase.

I thought Sametime was awesome, despite that their screen sharing capability is godawful.

If we could use Sametime with Outlook, I think we'd get no complaints from my company.

Office Communicator is a massive piece of poo poo.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Comradephate posted:

My old workplace used Sametime (and everything Lotus :gonk:). It's awful in every conceivable way, but as far as I could tell it has no limit on how big a smiley can be. This lead to awesome competitions in our group chat to see who could link the largest animated gif before Sametime shat itself.

Given the size of my team and that we weren't the only ones with huge gif collections, I estimate that Sametime cost the organization millions of dollars in man hours.

Science fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 21, 2013

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
An unfortunate typo came in...

Dear UFOTofuTacoCat,
I am following up my voice mail with this email. I wanted to introduce my company. We are a company that helps customers with disaster recovery, security, and infrastructure needs. We do this by providing enterprise hosing, colocation, and cloud services. I’d like to schedule an appointment to discuss your BC/DR strategy and how Immedion may help. Is this something you would be interested in?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

go3 posted:

Its almost like switching to third-party services outside of your control could be a bad idea

Yeah but sometimes it's the only feasible option. The problem isn't that you're giving other people control, it's that they can't keep their poo poo up worth a drat, and are terrible at communicating to you when/why it is down.

The place I work now has the majority of our customers on a single hosted exchange provider who has great uptime and are pretty easy to get in contact with, it works fine for the most part.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

The loaner I got from IT which they were nice enough to give me while they re-imaged my work laptop with Windows 8 was actually better than my work laptop. :(

Though I work at a technology company that (largely) employs people who can handle being treated like adults, and I kind of love your strategy anyway.

Science posted:

My old workplace used Sametime (and everything Lotus :gonk:). It's awful in every conceivable way, but as far as I could tell it has no limit on how big a smiley can be. This lead to awesome competitions in our group chat to see who could link the largest animated gif before Sametime shat itself.

Brilliant. I will have to play with that.

Also, since I work on a team where most of the people use Linux for their desktop, and libmeanwhile is garbage, half the time they receive text surrounded by the HTML tags that are meant to format it, and unless they give people nicknames, the name just shows up as their full AD identifier. (or whatever the term is)

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 21, 2013

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

pidgin-2.10.7-3.fc19.x86_64
pidgin-sipe-1.16.1-1.fc19.x86_64
pidgin-otr-3.2.1-3.fc19.x86_64
purple-plugin_pack-pidgin-2.6.3-6.fc19.x86_64

This is my current set of pidgin and pidgin plugins. I am using fedora 19, and I installed the sipe package and it Just Worked.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
This that piss me off? My own good faith in other people, and thinking "Oh yeah I am sure they did this important thing during setup"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Comradephate posted:

The loaner I got from IT which they were nice enough to give me while they re-imaged my work laptop with Windows 8 was actually better than my work laptop. :(

I'm a fan of my company for the sole fact that everything I do is on remote hosts with screen sessions. I actually downgraded my work computer to an Air because I didn't need a 6-pound behemoth of a MacBook Pro for work that I could literally do from my smartphone.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

This that piss me off? My own good faith in other people, and thinking "Oh yeah I am sure they did this important thing during setup"

I've gotten burned on that once, never again. Part of my deploy template now has big bold words at the top, "Don't trust that dependencies are in production just because someone said they were".

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Crowley posted:

Every time I see the acronym I think "Motherfucking Printer". :shobon:

Good. I'm glad I am not the only one that does this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

nitrogen posted:

pidgin-2.10.7-3.fc19.x86_64
pidgin-sipe-1.16.1-1.fc19.x86_64
pidgin-otr-3.2.1-3.fc19.x86_64
purple-plugin_pack-pidgin-2.6.3-6.fc19.x86_64

This is my current set of pidgin and pidgin plugins. I am using fedora 19, and I installed the sipe package and it Just Worked.

Thanks guys, this worked. I mean, I don't know if I actually want to be on Lync on my laptop, but it's nice to have the option now.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'm a fan of my company for the sole fact that everything I do is on remote hosts with screen sessions. I actually downgraded my work computer to an Air because I didn't need a 6-pound behemoth of a MacBook Pro for work that I could literally do from my smartphone.

Similar situation: I do everything through SSH pretty much. The loaner already had putty, chrome, and box sync on it, so I really could have just gone on using that, but I imagined they would want it back at some point.

The only reason I even have a laptop is because that's what they gave me on my first day. I just locked it to the dock and called it good. I use several monitors, so it's pretty much just a fixture on my desk.

When I'm up for a replacement I may cross over to the dark side and get a macbook.

I have a zenbook (which I love) for my personal laptop that doubles as a work laptop on the rare occasion that I travel.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Sirotan posted:

I just did this to a Dell GX280 and GX620 and will be delivering it to one of our sites in an hour. Win 7 32bit installed, 2gb of RAM. That's the status quo in Sirotan land.

I did get approved to buy 5 whole new desktops though. Which means I can finally recycle the remaining Dimension 4600's that I would have needed to deploy if someone's computer died.

This is going to be me in a month or two. We have 30-40 desktops still running win 7 and I was approved to replace the 15 oldest. They were all machines with single cores and less than 3gb of RAM. Hopefully once I put 15 in and shuffle some about I can have a couple of spare boxes and some extra RAM when I actually need it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

JohnnyCanuck posted:

We're having serious talks about using Trillian For Business.

My previous company used AIM... in 2012...

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Urit posted:

The best part is that MS also uses their own solutions. Yep, that means their internal email/Lync is on Office 365. Yep, it's just as good as it is for consumers.

Dogfoodin' for lyf<connection terminated>

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Helushune posted:

I'm fine with keyboard replacements, those need to happen pretty frequently. This person literally took their finger nail and popped off a key and hoped I wouldn't try to put it back on. I pushed it back on, smiled at them, and said "Good thing we didn't have to get you a brand new one, huh?". The look of disappointment was almost picture worthy.

Their laptop is going to have an unfortunate accident, I guarantee it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Their laptop is going to have an unfortunate accident, I guarantee it.

Now that SSD's are around, someone needs to make a black box for laptops. Something that constantly records the last 2 minutes of audio before loss of battery power combined with accelerometer data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm kind of surprised services like Lojack don't do something like that already.

• Locked thread