Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

legendsuper posted:

Weird, I remember a terminal in Vault 87 saying that the FEV "removes" the victim's genitals. I might be wrong though.

There's a reason Fallout 3 has something of a poo poo reputation among older fans of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

3Romeo posted:

I didn't phrase that properly. My bust.

For whatever reason, the backstory in my head was that the Master's Army was made of front-line infantry that he snatched up and made FEV caramel apples out of. I think I came under that assumption because I really only played through the first Fallout once (I think I was 16?) and didn't pay much attention to the backstory.

In short, hey, thanks everyone! Now it's time to go back through the Fallout wiki and see what else I'm wrong about.

The base was abandoned when The Master and Harold got to it. The last remains of America's pre-war infantry became the Brotherhood of Steel, the Enclave or Desert Rangers. A few might be left in China (assuming there's anything actually left in China) though. That's why some people are so impressed with the NCR - they effectively created a democracy with a full military starting from a tiny village in around 100 years.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

legendsuper posted:

Weird, I remember a terminal in Vault 87 saying that the FEV "removes" the victim's genitals. I might be wrong though.

Fallout 3 has a quick and dirty version of the Fallout lore.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Wow, I really have to play the first 2 games don't I.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I really like Fallout 1 but for some reason I can never finish Fallout 2. I don't know what it is about it that I don't like.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Line Feed posted:

I really like Fallout 1 but for some reason I can never finish Fallout 2. I don't know what it is about it that I don't like.

I feel you. If you don't go off the beaten path, the first few hours are a real slog of endless bugs, geckos and rats.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm thinking of playing through Fallout 1 & 2, are there any must have mods, or any super cool poo poo I should do? I've never played i, but I hated 3 and loved New Vegas, so I'm thinking I'll like the older ones.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm thinking of playing through Fallout 1 & 2, are there any must have mods, or any super cool poo poo I should do? I've never played i, but I hated 3 and loved New Vegas, so I'm thinking I'll like the older ones.

There's some mods for high resolution support and general patches that are probably necessary, also one that brings kids back in if you have a copy that took them out. I think it's all on the No Mutants Allowed site somewhere or probably on the GOG forums.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Get the High Resolution patches for both unless you really like playing in 640x480.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fibby Boy posted:

Your caravan getting murdered to hell is a scripted event. Maybe mods can stop it but you can't actually stop it happening on your own. Trust me. I reloaded that section more times than I can remember just stop my caravan from dying. I got it twice, only to watch everyone drop dead shortly after.

Hahaha, well that was a half hour wasted. Thank you for the help :)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Line Feed posted:

Turtlicious posted:

There's a thread for the earlier Fallout games kicking around here somewhere, when I was playing through F1 and F2 a few months ago they were a pretty drat good resource. I would give you the link but I'm on my phone.

As for super cool poo poo you should do, just start playing them and soon enough cool poo poo will start happening :) (granted, it takes awhile in F2, those first couple hours are a bit of a slog).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bilal posted:

I don't get why a lot of people have this idea that Fallout is a parody of the 1950's. Fallout is definitely inspired by and takes imagery from classic science fiction from the mid 20th century- ray guns, giant radioactive ants, and vacuum tubes- and a little bit of pop culture, like Nuka-Cola; but playing through Fallout 1, it's still more Mad Max than anything else. And especially in New Vegas's case, It's not so much a satire about American culture of the 1950s as it is of American culture today.

Oh wait, I do get why a lot of people have that idea. It's because Bethesda came to the conclusion that Fallout was not a partial homage to old '50s sci fi, they decided that it literally takes place in a post-nuclear 1950s, and they felt the :siren:It's the 1950's!:siren: theme had to be prominent everywhere so everyone could nod and agree that they were being faithful to the source material.

I've always thought it was the future from the point of view of people from the 1950s, and then that went nuclear. The Chinese-American war was definitely not in the 50s.

And that's why you get a bunch of 50s era stuff like vacuum tubes, pork n beans, and diners, but also all the crazy technology people thought we'd have by now, like fusion cars, ray guns, power armor, jet airplanes with folding wings and poo poo, robots, etc. It's definitely all a homage to old science fiction and predictions of the future from 60 years ago.

But the line between a homage and a parody is a pretty thin and blurry one anyway, isn't it? Can't the wacky sci-fi stuff be a parody and a homage at the same time (especially OWB)?

I don't know where you're getting the 'Bethesda decided it literally takes place in the post-nuclear 1950s' from.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Turtlicious posted:

The thread for the games is right here, check the OP for the must-haves. The ones I used were under "Fallout 1 fixes" and "Fallout 2 fixes" and worked perfectly. I don't think it has the newest version of the unofficial Fallout 2 patch; you can find that at killapp.net.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Moridin920 posted:

I don't know where you're getting the 'Bethesda decided it literally takes place in the post-nuclear 1950s' from.
If I recall Fallout 3 makes clear that the Fallout universe diverges from ours around the 1950s, there are a few displays in the Air and Space Museum in 3 that state this outright. Before Fallout 3 I had always assumed that the Fallout series took place in a future that just happened to have a few objects with a 1950s ascetic.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Frankly I still pretend that's what happened; I can't be bothered with all this parallel universe stuff. The thirteen stars on the moon landing flag in that museum? Revisionism. The primitive looking computers? Fashion, or less-powerful devices were made to accommodate shrinking fuel reserves for power. Possibly also the reason why there's vacuum tubes and black and white TVs everywhere; they're a smaller power drain than micro-electronics and 1080p flatscreens. The 50s aesthetic? duh, terror of imminent nuclear Armageddon caused people to look back to a time when there was a nuclear threat which never materialised; they adopted the fashions of this time en masse in a cargo cult fashion, unconsciously reasoning that if they act like the 50s then eventually, instead of nuclear war, the 60s would happen. Culture didn't literally stagnate for 120 years because culture doesn't do that.

It's already a separate universe by virtue of the fact that it's fiction, I just prefer for my suspension of disbelief to not have to jump through too many hoops at once.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 22, 2013

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I usually just try and wear whatever looks cool, don't care about armor, don't care about roleplaying or whatever, but then I stumbled upon this.

POINT ME TO YOUR MINORITIES

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Barlow posted:

If I recall Fallout 3 makes clear that the Fallout universe diverges from ours around the 1950s,

Fallout 1 makes this clear too.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Also vacuum tube machines use more power than transistors, it's part of the reason the oil was used up so fast.

Trabandiumium fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 22, 2013

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

cams posted:

I usually just try and wear whatever looks cool, don't care about armor, don't care about roleplaying or whatever, but then I stumbled upon this.

POINT ME TO YOUR MINORITIES

That outfit isn't in the base game as far as I know. Is it a mod you're running?

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Frankly I still pretend that's what happened; I can't be bothered with all this parallel universe stuff. The thirteen stars on the moon landing flag in that museum? Revisionism. The primitive looking computers? Fashion, or less-powerful devices were made to accommodate shrinking fuel reserves for power. Possibly also the reason why there's vacuum tubes and black and white TVs everywhere; they're a smaller power drain than micro-electronics and 1080p flatscreens. The 50s aesthetic? duh, terror of imminent nuclear Armageddon caused people to look back to a time when there was a nuclear threat which never materialised; they adopted the fashions of this time en masse in a cargo cult fashion, unconsciously reasoning that if they act like the 50s then eventually, instead of nuclear war, the 60s would happen. Culture didn't literally stagnate for 120 years because culture doesn't do that.

It's already a separate universe by virtue of the fact that it's fiction, I just prefer for my suspension of disbelief to not have to jump through too many hoops at once.

The United States reorganized into 13 Commonwealths at some point after World War II. Computers mostly switched to vacuum tubes in order to defend against EMP attacks.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Frankly I still pretend that's what happened; I can't be bothered with all this parallel universe stuff. The thirteen stars on the moon landing flag in that museum? Revisionism.

The Moon lander looking like the Soviet LK instead of the LEM of OTL?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I want to like Fallout 1 + 2 but I just can't get into the combat system. I just... don't enjoy it. :(

If someone could remake those games like New Vegas, I'd be all over that poo poo.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Doug Lombardi posted:

The United States reorganized into 13 Commonwealths at some point after World War II. Computers mostly switched to vacuum tubes in order to defend against EMP attacks.

Actually, I think the story is that the transistor wasn't invented until some time in the years leading up to before the Great War. So they still exist, to give us some of the semi-miniaturized electronics in the game, but the general aesthetic and design is still big, bulky, and based around central computers and mainframes.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

FlyingCheese posted:

I want to like Fallout 1 + 2 but I just can't get into the combat system. I just... don't enjoy it. :(

If someone could remake those games like New Vegas, I'd be all over that poo poo.

If you are not shooting at the groin or the eyes with a .223 pistol, then I can understand your problem.

Seriously though, give it time they are lovely games.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Byzantine posted:

The Moon lander looking like the Soviet LK instead of the LEM of OTL?

Midichlorians

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm more concerned with internal consistency. The fact that I love New Vegas for explaining away the aesthetic differences between classic Combat Armor and FO3's version basically makes me a child. What makes me a man-child is that I've thought about how to do that for Enclave Power Armor.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm more concerned with internal consistency. The fact that I love New Vegas for explaining away the aesthetic differences between classic Combat Armor and FO3's version basically makes me a child. What makes me a man-child is that I've thought about how to do that for Enclave Power Armor.

FO3 already does this, though. T-45d was always supposed to be inferior, antiquated version of T-51b. New Vegas' Enclave Armor is FO2's Enclave Armor left while the Enclave Armor in FO3 is Enclave Power Armor improved upon since the events of FO2.

edit:

Bilal posted:

I don't get why a lot of people have this idea that Fallout is a parody of the 1950's. Fallout is definitely inspired by and takes imagery from classic science fiction from the mid 20th century- ray guns, giant radioactive ants, and vacuum tubes- and a little bit of pop culture, like Nuka-Cola; but playing through Fallout 1, it's still more Mad Max than anything else. And especially in New Vegas's case, It's not so much a satire about American culture of the 1950s as it is of American culture today.

Oh wait, I do get why a lot of people have that idea. It's because Bethesda came to the conclusion that Fallout was not a partial homage to old '50s sci fi, they decided that it literally takes place in a post-nuclear 1950s, and they felt the :siren:It's the 1950's!:siren: theme had to be prominent everywhere so everyone could nod and agree that they were being faithful to the source material.

Fallout has always been set in a divergent timeline that split from ours after World War II and the society kept the aesthetic of the 1950s until it destroyed itself though. That's always been the gimmick of the series and doesn't really have anything to do with Bethesda.

I mean, Bethesda kind of was tone deaf on some things, but on others it was largely because FO3 was a reboot of the series so they were a bit heavy handed. When I think of what they got wrong it'd be Brotherhood of Steel really, but that can be justified at least by the lore (and precedent re: Chicago).

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 22, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I seem to recall a few different looking items in Fallout 3 referred to as older, obsolete versions of stuff from the original games. The laser rifle was one, I think? I thought it was a fairly decent way for Bethesda to redesign stuff to their liking without getting too much poo poo from canon nerds. Though plasma weapons just look crappy as heck.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Yeah, I like energy weapons that look a little more like real world weapons instead of crazy 50s pulp scifi ones. One of the reasons I like the Plasma Defender. It still looks scifi but it's not nearly as outlandish as the FO3 plasma pistol.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Specifically I'm talking about the APA Mk II, which changes appearance despite being the exact same model. Like I said, I think about this pointless poo poo a lot.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Rex Deckard posted:

If you are not shooting at the groin or the eyes with a .223 pistol, then I can understand your problem.

Seriously though, give it time they are lovely games.

Oh I know, what little I've played was enjoyable aside from the combat, will try shooting the balls/eyes next time though. I was introduced to the series with FO3 (which I absolutely loved, writing qualms aside), and loved the changes NV brought (both story and gameplay-wise). The only thing was it didn't really feel like a post-apocalyptic setting, it just felt like the wild west with some random SCIENCE!/50's Americana bits thrown in, it's not bad at all, don't get me wrong, it's fantastic, it just wasn't what I was expecting coming from 3. Playing a game with the same quality writing with more of a fresh-from-the-nuclear-holocaust vibe should be right up my alley.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 22, 2013

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

FlyingCheese posted:

Crank up the combat speed and cheat the poo poo out of your character and companions. Unless you enjoy 40 minute random encounters with wildlife (where 30 minutes is dedicated to missing), combat is just awful for most of the first two games. I enjoyed the poo poo out of UFO Defense and Enemy Unknown, and these games are pure garbage in comparison. Jack up your weapons skills to 90+, agility to 10, and relish in the fun.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

FlyingCheese posted:

Being able to directly control all your party members in combat helps a lot in FO2, so if you're running the unofficial patch - you should be - or have otherwise installed sfall, find ddraw.ini and change this setting:
code:
;Set to one to directly control party members in combat
ControlPartyMembers=0
It does make combat easier since you don't have to rely on the companion AI.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Berke Negri posted:

Fallout has always been set in a divergent timeline that split from ours after World War II and the society kept the aesthetic of the 1950s until it destroyed itself though. That's always been the gimmick of the series and doesn't really have anything to do with Bethesda.

The point of divergence is actually prior to WWII. The transistor was developed in the 20s and 30s, and Sunset Sarsaparilla, est. 1918, does not exist in the real world.

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Sunset Sarsaparilla, est. 1918

Probably just marketing. :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rope kid said to someone on Formspring (which is now springme I guess?) that Sunset Sarsaparilla is just a fictional company like you might see in CSI or something, not a symptom of a parallel universe.

On that topic, does anyone else get disproportionately bothered by the universes famous movies/TV shows inhabit? In the Transformers 2007 movies, what was every drat kid playing with in the 80s? What's the TV landscape like in the Lost universe, since that world had no Lost to make Myth Arc TV shows popular? In the Mass Effect universe, was there no Bioware? Possibly... no Electronic Arts? In that modern day remake of Sherlock Holmes, did mystery stories ever become popular at all? did Arthur Conan doyle still exist, and if so what did he do instead of creating possibly the single most famous fictional character of all time?

No? Just me? :spergin:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Those works of fiction still exist fictionally, just in a different manner than you would expect. You can view an in depth analysis of this in the classic film Last Action Hero.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

2house2fly posted:

Nah. If you're gonna think especially hard about fiction, think in more metatextual terms--theme, tone, subtext, context, things you can discuss and debate over a double bourbon at a bar. Using fictional what-ifs (or trivia) as a basis for discussion tends to mark you as a social cripple. The real nerd stuff you keep holstered until you meet someone who's happy to discuss it.

edit: this is coming from a pretty big nerd

Asbury fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 23, 2013

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

2house2fly posted:

Rope kid said to someone on Formspring (which is now springme I guess?) that Sunset Sarsaparilla is just a fictional company like you might see in CSI or something, not a symptom of a parallel universe.

On that topic, does anyone else get disproportionately bothered by the universes famous movies/TV shows inhabit? In the Transformers 2007 movies, what was every drat kid playing with in the 80s? What's the TV landscape like in the Lost universe, since that world had no Lost to make Myth Arc TV shows popular? In the Mass Effect universe, was there no Bioware? Possibly... no Electronic Arts? In that modern day remake of Sherlock Holmes, did mystery stories ever become popular at all? did Arthur Conan doyle still exist, and if so what did he do instead of creating possibly the single most famous fictional character of all time?

I saw an interview with one of the creators of "Rock of Ages" that asked him about the alternate history his movie appears to take place in. Certain songs that were written by real bands in the 70s and 80s are written by a fictional musician in the 1980s. When asked if Journey didn't exist in his universe, he said it did, but they were famous for different songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

FWIW, Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics are the daily steam sale today, so pull the trigger if you've been curious about them!