Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm now imagining council requests involving you sending them some MEC or gene mod specimens for examination...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
In the sequel the player controls Resistance who are fighting against psychopatic XCOM supersoldiers.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Onmi posted:

This is going to lead to an apocalypse style sequel where we have the bio-augmented humans descendants who have just been utterly hosed because WHAT DID YOU EXPECT WOULD HAPPEN WHEN YOU WENT loving AROUND WITH SOMEONES BIOLOGY?! And the augmented cyborg soldiers who are currently looking at being unable to find meaningful employment and a sudden lack of rights since hey, the line between human just got real loving blurred.

So the new 'I-forget-the-mutant-activist-group' and S.E.L.F. to match our Cult of Sirius that seems to be popping up.

That would be exquisite. The genetically modified soldiers could end up with horrifying physical manifestations of their PTSD.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Obviously there should be 3 paths.

Mechs, Genes and 100%-Natural :colbert:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chaos Xcom Mecha-Colonels, oh yeah. Meld for the Meld God.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Pimpmust posted:

If you really wanted to, you could order a tearful Vahlen to flush all that MELD down the XCOM lavatory for a wholly organic, free-range squad.

Because the one thing that worries XCOM most is environmental damage.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 21, 2013

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

The 100% Natural path seems to be the Vigilo Confido path. Which also kinda means putting faith in the human potential instead of scientific witchcraft. Pretty poetic, actually.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress poetry. Scientific witchcraft all the way. Who wants to be the first volunteer for the Anvil of the Void?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fangz posted:

I'm now imagining council requests involving you sending them some MEC or gene mod specimens for examination...

I like the idea of the council asking you for some of your precious troops that you went through all the effort of training and modifying.

New weapons and new enemies to fight are neat, but I really would like an update to the macro strategy part of the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Andre Banzai posted:

The 100% Natural path seems to be the Vigilo Confido path. Which also kinda means putting faith in the human potential instead of scientific witchcraft. Pretty poetic, actually.

On the other hand, maybe that's the point. To defeat the aliens, we must become like the aliens and embrace their technology. Psionics are only one step. The Firestorm is a homegrown UFO. And really, who doesn't use reverse-engineered plasma and alien alloy based weapons and armor when you get the chance?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, maybe that's the point. To defeat the aliens, we must become like the aliens and embrace their technology. Psionics are only one step. The Firestorm is a homegrown UFO. And really, who doesn't use reverse-engineered plasma and alien alloy based weapons and armor when you get the chance?

When tanks first appeared on the battlefield in WWI, did everyone go "gently caress yon ironclad monstrosity" or "goddamn, I got to get me one of those"?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Both, if I recall. Of course, the tank is a pure human creation. Here, we're messing with 'us', which we're still confused about and lack understanding of. Similar, yet different.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, but using alien technology (weapons and UFOs) is one thing. Applying their sinister methods for modifying humans is another. I remember how Shen and even Vahlen were shocked at the aliens' cruelty when encountering Floaters in the battlefield... and how I thought "wow, these floaters don't have legs, that's pretty sick".

Now we're gonna mutilate our own soldiers. We're pretty much delivering a complete, twisted package to the Ethereals.

The Crotch posted:

gently caress poetry. Scientific witchcraft all the way. Who wants to be the first volunteer for the Anvil of the Void?

Hahahaha of course, XCOM is becoming increasingly interesting. Part terror, part cheesy, part morally ambiguous. Very cool.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Andre Banzai posted:

Applying their sinister methods for modifying humans is another.

What if the ethereals are just really crummy engineers and botched the poo poo our of the surgical operations because having a limitless supply of mentally enslaved troops does not lend itself toward all that much precision with the scalpel or if the parts fit just so. They failed with the ethereal device, XCOM made it work, so why can't Shen & Vahlen fistbump their way to making augments non-monstrous? These ethereal chumps are failed rejects, incapable of ascension.

Have some faith in the humane ability of turning rockets into spaceships and plasma rifles into wicked lava lamps.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 21, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Meld having a timer on it is probably my favourite single addition to the expansion. That alone shakes the game up enough to make it fresh. To me, everything else is just gravy but I already love EU a ton. I haven't stopped playing it since release.

The only angle I can see having to worry about is if Meld or the balance in general is or isn't shaken up too. If this IS like a Civ expansion then the new poo poo will only be sidegrades - awesome alternatives. If it isn't worth taking up a risky play style on the tactical map I can see a lot of people having complaints about it: You could just stick to a Meld-less game and keep the plodding but sure style to win.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Calling it now, any soldier that you use Gene Mods on will probably become dependent on monthly Meld infusions so that their body doesn't reject the new parts and explode into goo.

Also Mechs probably inherit the SHIV's ability to never ever be able to use cover, as per normal protocol for VahlenTech Inc.

Fake Edit: I wonder if we get any new personnel for the new stuff? Or maybe it's just that Vahlen leads the mutant division, and Shen heads the mech division.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Hace posted:

Calling it now, any soldier that you use Gene Mods on will probably become dependent on monthly Meld infusions so that their body doesn't reject the new parts and explode into goo.

That could become pretty infuriating since you're then dependent on the game's RNG deciding to give you a bunch of abduction missions each month. And what if you've got full satellite coverage?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I like how this kind of fits into the Engineer's constant harping on how all this new technology is going to irrevocably change humanity and maybe not for the better. XCOM's turning into some scary folks.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Hace posted:

Also Mechs probably inherit the SHIV's ability to never ever be able to use cover, as per normal protocol for VahlenTech Inc.

I think the devs mentioned that MECs act as cover for soldiers, plus one of their perks reduces damage (to zero?) for one turn, so you use 'em to charge in like an angry assault vehicle with infantry in tow.

It'd also be rather diffcult for an ~8 foot mech to grab cover behind a fire hydrant or park bench.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 21, 2013

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

It would be interesting if they added some sort of epilogue based on A) how much MEC/Meld enhancements you used and B) How many nations were still supporting XCOM.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Have they said which missions would provide Meld? Is it abduction-only? I mean currently some limited resources like Elerium and weapon fragments can be stockpiled eventually (specifically in the late game) if you continue to do random missions without progressing the plot. I hope Meld is like that so I can eventually create a team of maxed out mutant mech mercenaries with which to gently caress the final mission up with impunity.

XCOM difficulty scale be damned, if I want to earn the ability through blood, sweat, and tears to steamroll any and all missions, let me!

(I wonder if they're going to nerf Ghost armor at all)

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I got to the part of the video where the sectoid gets rocket-punched into the truck and decided that I can't wait for EW, even a preorder. I put $40 in an envelope and mailed it to Firaxis. Before I was optimistic but what I'm seeing is pretty great. Even the small changes to flanking and cover sound good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Have they said which missions would provide Meld? Is it abduction-only? I mean currently some limited resources like Elerium and weapon fragments can be stockpiled eventually (specifically in the late game) if you continue to do random missions without progressing the plot. I hope Meld is like that so I can eventually create a team of maxed out mutant mech mercenaries with which to gently caress the final mission up with impunity.

XCOM difficulty scale be damned, if I want to earn the ability through blood, sweat, and tears to steamroll any and all missions, let me!

They said every map has been redone to include meld.

Doobie Keebler posted:

I got to the part of the video where the sectoid gets rocket-punched into the truck and decided that I can't wait for EW, even a preorder. I put $40 in an envelope and mailed it to Firaxis. Before I was optimistic but what I'm seeing is pretty great. Even the small changes to flanking and cover sound good.

That was the best part

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 21, 2013

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

The Midniter posted:

Think they're reducing the crit bonus to 30% for stealthed units.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I don't remember, but does the AI get any stealth units? Talking about nichés for new aliens...

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I understand that with the excitement over the expansion this post may be lost in the flood, but I want to ask if anyone has installed the Developer Mode mod (http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/363/?). I'm having trouble making it run and the crowd over at Nexusmods doesn't reply at all, because apparently Skyrim mod load orders are fascinating.

I just want to play (a completely broken version of) the game before the expansion comes!

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

I imagine the team at Firaxis being just as giddy when they came up with this as we are right now. :D

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

I don't remember, but does the AI get any stealth units? Talking about nichés for new aliens...

They said there was a stealth grenade, so the technology could end up in enemy hands, especially if that enemy comes from "within"...

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Zaldron posted:

Think they're reducing the crit bonus to 30% for stealthed units.

Yup, but you can now manufacture invisibility paint grenades.

Pimpmust posted:

Currently, no. Who knows what announcements are still to come...

Christian Knudsen posted:

I imagine the team at Firaxis being just as giddy when they came up with this as we are right now. :D

This is probably an accurate depiction. Link goes to relevant timestamp, though the whole thing is a great watch, if only to hear Jake Solomon's strategy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpIhPNFsmQ&t=858s
"so it's like we're beating them to death with their own arms"

Crossposted from a PYF thread: MEC testing in progress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3CzYw5-qdA&t=21s

Welmu fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 21, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Edgecase posted:

They said there was a stealth grenade, so the technology could end up in enemy hands, especially if that enemy comes from "within"...

Just sayin', there's an excellent ability out there for a "Heavy Chrysalid" (toss on the original's zombie abilities too) :unsmigghh:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Teleporting patrols relabled "Stealth deployment brigades"

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Now all it needs is a %chance of people not surviving the MELD/MEC surgeries. :xcom:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Edgecase posted:

I'm trying to come up with a strategy that turning your enemy invisible is a bonus to you. *scratches head*

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Burning_Monk posted:

I'm trying to come up with a strategy that turning your enemy invisible is a bonus to you. *scratches head*

That's why you use it on your own troops.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

gannyGrabber posted:

Now all it needs is a %chance of people not surviving the MELD/MEC surgeries. :xcom:

I can't think of a better way to put those choices on par with Snap-Shot. :v:

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Burning_Monk posted:

"If I can't see them, they aren't there." :v:

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

It's a bonus if you REALLY love surprises and feeling strong emotions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Burning_Monk posted:

If enemies can get it, they'll be using it on their troops. I'm looking forward to invisible chryssalids.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A farm tileset is just what XCOM needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

nuzak posted:

i suspect their intended translation is "the changing of the guard", which is a neat pun.

I was thinking more like "Changing to protect" or something along those lines.

• Locked thread