Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Welmu posted:

This is probably an accurate depiction. Link goes to relevant timestamp, though the whole thing is a great watch, if only to hear Jake Solomon's strategy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpIhPNFsmQ&t=858s
"so it's like we're beating them to death with their own arms"

I have the biggest man-crush on Jake Solomon.
Got me thinking though, Jake's not lead gameplay designer on EW, but he's stated that he is working on more XCOM.
Possible full sequel? I believe so. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Groetgaffel posted:

I have the biggest man-crush on Jake Solomon.
Got me thinking though, Jake's not lead gameplay designer on EW, but he's stated that he is working on more XCOM.
Possible full sequel? I believe so. :getin:

An eventual full-on sequel is all but a certain, given how well Enemy Unknown was received and numbers it sold in. It's still years away so any eventual XCOM2 would run at least on PS4/Xbone-level hardware and Unreal Engine 4.

:getin:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of the articles pointed out that they're trying to make some of the "no brainer" perk choices more difficult. Up Close and Personal is being changed so you get a free shot when within four tiles of a target, so you can move, take a free shot, and then move again back to cover. I like the sound of that!

And Deep Pockets is being changed so it doubles all item usages (so does that mean six charges on med kits?) and the existing Deep Pockets is becoming a Foundry option that gives the existing bonus to all classes!

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Lotish posted:

And Deep Pockets is being changed so it doubles all item usages, and the existing Deep Pockets is becoming a Foundry option that gives the existing bonus to all classes!

1. That's awesome. It'll mean each soldier will have a lot more flexibility in their loadout.
2. That's also hilarious. "Thanks to this advanced alien technology, we've been able to give our soldiers an additional pocket!"

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

MadBimber posted:

I was thinking more like "Changing to protect" or something along those lines.

I'm going with "Adapt to Protect" and "The Warrior within the Machine" for my favorite idiomized translations.

Or if you're willing to go further afield, "To evolve and protect" for the first one.

Edgecase fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 21, 2013

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 21, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Lotish posted:

One of the articles pointed out that they're trying to make some of the "no brainer" perk choices more difficult. Up Close and Personal is being changed so you get a free shot when within four tiles of a target, so you can move, take a free shot, and then move again back to cover. I like the sound of that!

And Deep Pockets is being changed so it doubles all item usages (so does that mean six charges on med kits?) and the existing Deep Pockets is becoming a Foundry option that gives the existing bonus to all classes!

I wonder how they are going to buff the non-squad sight sniper skill to compete.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DrManiac posted:

I wonder how they are going to buff the non-squad sight sniper skill to compete.

Snap Shot now has a -10% accuracy penalty insteady of -20%. Even without criticals on Squad Sight, I think they should have removed the SS penalty altogether.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
snap shot becomes -10 instead of -20. It was referenced right after that.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DrManiac posted:

The aim penalty is changing to -10 instead of -20, and they're nerfing squadsight so that it can't crit unless you're using the headshot ability.

quote:

Snap Shot now has a -10% accuracy penalty insteady of -20%. Even without criticals on Squad Sight, I think they should have removed the SS penalty altogether.
I'm not so sure, that's an absolutely huge damage nerf. It's certainly a lot closer decision now. Currently you can take two colonel snipers and just murderize everything with squadsight, in EW you probably still want one but taking snapshot on your second sniper becomes a lot more attractive.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I thought the part where you can Second Wave it so that classes get mixed skills would be interesting. Heavy's with Squad Sight, Snipers with Run&Gun... could have some interesting combos.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Rinkles posted:

Even if they did a Snapshot sniper would still be loving pointless. A SS sniper does absolutely nothing a rifle Assault or Support can't, and the Assault/Support both do things that the sniper cannot.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
^^^ GotY

The biggest advantage of Squadsight is that its a free shot with absolutely no risk to the shooter. Snap Shot can't compare to that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

misguided rage posted:

I'm not so sure, that's an absolutely huge damage nerf. It's certainly a lot closer decision now. Currently you can take two colonel snipers and just murderize everything with squadsight, in EW you probably still want one but taking snapshot on your second sniper becomes a lot more attractive.

But you can still critical normally with a Squad Sight sniper as long as the target is within the sniper's own range, right?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Rinkles posted:

But you can still critical normally with a Squad Sight sniper as long as the target is within the sniper's own range, right?
I would assume so.

quote:

Even if they did a Snapshot sniper would still be loving pointless. A SS sniper does absolutely nothing a rifle Assault or Support can't, and the Assault/Support both do things that the sniper cannot.
I could see pulling off some neat tricks with In The Zone, but yeah unless some other things change majorly snap shot still seems pretty bad.

e: actually that's not entirely true, a sniper still has much higher damage output once they hit colonel. It kinda sucks that double tap synergizes so poorly with snap shot though.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 21, 2013

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

misguided rage posted:

I could see pulling off some neat tricks with In The Zone, but yeah unless some other things change majorly snap shot still seems pretty bad.

They could make all of the new maps have lovely firing lines.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

burnsep posted:

I understand that with the excitement over the expansion this post may be lost in the flood, but I want to ask if anyone has installed the Developer Mode mod (http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/363/?). I'm having trouble making it run and the crowd over at Nexusmods doesn't reply at all, because apparently Skyrim mod load orders are fascinating.

I just want to play (a completely broken version of) the game before the expansion comes!

Can anyone comment? Should I just deal with it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

1stGear posted:

^^^ GotY

The biggest advantage of Squadsight is that its a free shot with absolutely no risk to the shooter. Snap Shot can't compare to that.

That's the thing that I guess bugs me most about Squadsight; it's just too safe. I want there to be something that can punish a SS sniper for taking it easy behind the back line. Like maybe an alien that gets more accurate the further you are away from him, armed with some sort of rail gun.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Coolguye posted:

A SS sniper does absolutely nothing a rifle Assault or Support can't, and the Assault/Support both do things that the sniper cannot.
I appreciate that you might not want to write Squad Sight or Snapshot out, but both of them would have SS ha abbreviation.
E: There's one thing, Disabling Shot. If a squad sight sniper doesn't have a line of fire you're hosed, where as a snapshot one could move up, and gently caress up the gun of that one muton so you can steal it.

Lotish posted:

That's the thing that I guess bugs me most about Squadsight; it's just too safe. I want there to be something that can punish a SS sniper for taking it easy behind the back line. Like maybe an alien that gets more accurate the further you are away from him, armed with some sort of rail gun.
Just make the aliens start flanking you properly instead of teleporting around randomly. If you have them actually walking around on a patrol path you'll have to start making sure you've got the sniper's back covered.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 21, 2013

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Lotish posted:

Floaters should technically be the counter with Liftoff but the AI is not smart enough about using it to pop up behind some poor sniper all out by his lonesome.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, started playing SR4 yesterday morning, and just now finished today, 15 minutes before work.

I was eagerly waiting for the EW info, but got sidetracked by that. Only was able to watch the 55 second trailer. What exactly is it? From the sounds of things, it just adds more units/enemies to Unknown? I was thinking it'd be a whole new campaign like TFTD, or something. This thread is going way to fast/switching back and forth between EU/EW to really get a good feed on what it is, and I can't really search for more info at work.

Can anyone bring me up to date really fast? Do we have a release date/price?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Rookersh posted:

So, started playing SR4 yesterday morning, and just now finished today, 15 minutes before work.

I was eagerly waiting for the EW info, but got sidetracked by that. Only was able to watch the 55 second trailer. What exactly is it? From the sounds of things, it just adds more units/enemies to Unknown? I was thinking it'd be a whole new campaign like TFTD, or something. This thread is going way to fast/switching back and forth between EU/EW to really get a good feed on what it is, and I can't really search for more info at work.

Can anyone bring me up to date really fast? Do we have a release date/price?
Basically the following:

Slashrat posted:

Summary of interesting things and clarifications:
  • Adds to the existing game. You start a game of XCOM as normal and all the new stuff appears in it along the old stuff.
  • There'll still be the option of starting a game of vanilla XCOM without EW content
  • The two highlight features is the two new ways of enhancing soldiers; genetics and the mech trooper class.
  • Mech troopers wear mech suits that has its own weapon progression. It is unlocked by the cybernetics lab. (edit: the mech trooper seems to be a human-sized cyborg that can wear different kinds of suits)
  • Genetics are unlocked by alien autopsies.
  • Meld is the resource and is present in both new and old maps.
  • A bunch of new enemies, but only talking about the mechtoid so far
  • Mechtoid is a way keeping sectoids present in the late game.
  • New grenades, new utility items
  • Enemy Within refers to working alien tech and genetics into the human body.
  • They can't reveal exactly how they arrived at that theme until another "Key Feature" has been revealed.
  • They didn't want to go "dark" with XCOM. XCOM is still the "good guys" and "defenders of humanity".
  • Localized voices turned out to be a lot harder to do on consoles, but made it in.
Price is said to be 30€/$, and it will let you punch dudes into cars so hard that the car explodes.
E: Oh and the release date is November 12 this year.
E2: Also they're going to rebalance a bunch of the existing perks to make some of the no-brainer choices less so. And 47 new maps including a farm tileset and urban UFO crashes.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 21, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Something else I noticed looking back over one of the articles: They've confirmed two new aliens, yes, but they also say in one of the release feature lists:

quote:

New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from a host of new enemies, including the Mechtoid.

Since two is not a host, I feel doubly sure there's more enemies coming, and they won't be aliens.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Lotish posted:

Since two is not a host, I feel doubly sure there's more enemies coming, and they won't be aliens.

While I do think there are likely more than two new aliens introduced in EW, I wouldn't put all that much stock into the word "host". Host just means "many", and while most people wouldn't count 2 as all that many, it's exactly the kind of technicality one should be wary of when interpreting marketing speak.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Lotish posted:

Something else I noticed looking back over one of the articles: They've confirmed two new aliens, yes, but they also say in one of the release feature lists:

There's killing the alien, then there's burning the heretic.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Calling it now: Countries that fall/seceded to the aliens will now produce their own Anti-XCOM/Cult of Sirius units. I got another look at the logo in the teaser trailer and it isn't either of the new logos that they've shown for the MEC or gene troops.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Lotish posted:

But thinking ahead, a Squadsight sniper will presumably never be able to get to a Meld container in time. Surely some players won't want to reduce their chances of acquiring Meld early on by as much as 25%? Later in the game with a larger squad size, this will be an easier call, but I think it's a point worth considering.

Of course, now Sprinter is going to have yet another argument in its favor, despite the opposing perk (Covering Fire, right?) being buffed to potentially lifesaving status.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lots of new new MP maps, but no mention of them even attempting to balance MP or fix the bugs/exploits? It seems like the first thing they should have addressed when talking about multiplayer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Groetgaffel posted:

I appreciate that you might not want to write Squad Sight or Snapshot out, but both of them would have SS ha abbreviation.
Fatigue + Tablet Posting don't synergize well. Whoops.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The aliens have mind control. For them to use our own population against us as expendable shocktroops makes perfect sense.
It would be really cool if the second alien unit is a controller of some kind, who controls a bunch of humans. That would be a pretty cool game mechanic too, taking out the controller would give you a bunch of non-controllable allies on the mission, but killing the controller without going through it's meatshields would be really hard.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

God I just want some new, mecha-Chryssalids.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

As far as new weapons go I hope they add an intermediate rocket launcher or make the blaster launcher come much sooner. It always bummed me out that the game is basically over by the time you get an upgrade to the rocket.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Bring the Small Launcher back, and give us stun bombs too while you're at it!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Geight posted:

But thinking ahead, a Squadsight sniper will presumably never be able to get to a Meld container in time. Surely some players won't want to reduce their chances of acquiring Meld early on by as much as 25%? Later in the game with a larger squad size, this will be an easier call, but I think it's a point worth considering.

Nobody's going to rush their snipers up front. They're too valuable and vulnerable, but also often the front line's best (offensive) defense.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Covering fire also synergizes absurdly well with Sentinel now, too.

And unless there's constantly building late-game pressure, there's no incentive to really rush for Meld. Its like Terror missions, just go through slow and you'll be fine. That, alone, is my biggest hope for the expansion. They said they're working the macro level a lot, but left how unspecified. The problem is that the early game features a chance every time an alien fires that a squadmember will go down, and that's 1/4th of your crew. Later on, there is absolutely no one single alien that can kill a Colonel in one go unless you count MC or the Sectopod-firing-constantly bug. In addition, if someone goes down, he's more likely to be critically wounded instead of killed and is only 1/6th of your group. The balance tilts way too strongly in favor of XCOM at the end of the game. Decreasing the health bonus your dudes get as well as decreasing the armor bonus would go a long way towards making the late game less easy, as would altering the macro so there's something to worry about once you get full satellite coverage.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Lots of new new MP maps, but no mention of them even attempting to balance MP or fix the bugs/exploits? It seems like the first thing they should have addressed when talking about multiplayer.

They're not going to get into that while they are in the middle of revealing. Obviously this is a major release and they are well aware of all MP bugs by now so many/most should be addressed. Since there are so many unit changes they will obviously be doing rebalancing for all/most of the new units.

I would expect very little MP discussion until all of the SP features have been revealed, and my guess is there is still quite a bit in the tank there.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Nobody's going to rush their snipers up front. They're too valuable and vulnerable, but also often the front line's best (offensive) defense.

Not to mention that while a squadsight sniper isn't going to be picking up many meld containers, they are going to be making it easier for others to do so, even without being able to land critical hits.

EDIT: So what are they changing about covering fire? Does it activate before an alien fires?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Covering fire also synergizes absurdly well with Sentinel now, too.

And unless there's constantly building late-game pressure, there's no incentive to really rush for Meld. Its like Terror missions, just go through slow and you'll be fine. That, alone, is my biggest hope for the expansion. They said they're working the macro level a lot, but left how unspecified. The problem is that the early game features a chance every time an alien fires that a squadmember will go down, and that's 1/4th of your crew. Later on, there is absolutely no one single alien that can kill a Colonel in one go unless you count MC or the Sectopod-firing-constantly bug. In addition, if someone goes down, he's more likely to be critically wounded instead of killed and is only 1/6th of your group. The balance tilts way too strongly in favor of XCOM at the end of the game. Decreasing the health bonus your dudes get as well as decreasing the armor bonus would go a long way towards making the late game less easy, as would altering the macro so there's something to worry about once you get full satellite coverage.

I think there's a third tier of enemies missing. Don't necessarily beef them up with more HP, but give them some more tactical flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
New sniper choice: 1)Squad Sight or 2) Abandon sniper rifles altogether, focus on pistols, become Revolver Ocelot. :ocelot::smug:

• Locked thread