Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I set my whole team around the Chelsea Villa double week and I've made a terrible mistake. I don't even have Benteke, what was I thinking. Now trying to fix it will cripple my team for the half the season so I think early wildcard is in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I hope Mata scores a hattrick of goals all set up by Ivanovic because I'm losing my clean sheet for him tonight, and because Mata didn't even play on Sunday. :mad:

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Hazard - Lukaku - Benteke dream team. Get that alternator with De Bruyne I reckon.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Does hazard get the assist for the luna own goal?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Crunkjuice posted:

Does hazard get the assist for the luna own goal?
Nope, at least the game hasn't awarded any assist for that goal yet. Maybe they will afterward.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Is Lukaku really not playing again? :laugh:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

irlZaphod posted:

I hope Mata scores a hattrick of goals all set up by Ivanovic because I'm losing my clean sheet for him tonight, and because Mata didn't even play on Sunday. :mad:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. And if Mata hadn't played today I had an 11 point defender waiting as a sub. A bit upset about this really.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Well, going with Lukaku over Benteke/Soldado/Giroud was a big loving mistake.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. And if Mata hadn't played today I had an 11 point defender waiting as a sub. A bit upset about this really.
I had Rangel as my first sub with a big fat 0 points, so even Mata's 2 was better.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

irlZaphod posted:

I had Rangel as my first sub with a big fat 0 points, so even Mata's 2 was better.

Yeah well, I had Whittaker. 11 points vs. Mata's awful two. No wait, FOUR, because of course I captained him figuring he'd get more points against Hull and Villa than RVP would against Swansea.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Well this week was a huge loving letdown.

gently caress Lukaku

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I had Benteke in my squad to start why did I change! Oh the hindsight

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

He had ars che LIV BYE and only scored a single goal against the top clubs last year. He was a scrub pick that happened to come off, mainly thanks to Gabby. Same as RvP scoring a brace for the ~30% of people who captained him on a Chelsea dgw.

I had a bye this weak and managed to beat the average by one point for the win despite scoring second bottom in my mini-league. :shepface:

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Thought I might do a little update on TRPH2H2 as a mammoth gameweek 1 is now at an end.

code:
Villa Victis	    94 - 82	Borussia Boom Boom
Wenger Knows	    70 - 36	Borussia Bortmund
Witnits	            57 - 80	FC What You Heard
Broken Metatarsals  69 - 78	SC Draper Pryce
Sunday Assassins    68 - 98	Madeleine McCantona
Moleicester City    49 - 59	Chemical Snails
Pizza Party!!!!!!!! 80 - 69	Real Jolson
Wilfried Boner	    90 - 50	Like a Boas
Red Scare	    55 - 76	Axis Of Evil
Walex FC	    75 - 66	Pure Indulgence
Congrats to Villa Victus, Madeleine McCantona and Wilfried Boner.

Unbelievably the mighty Borussia Boom Boom managed 82 points and still lost. No point popping up the table yet really.

And next week's fixtures

code:
Borussia Boom Boom	 v	Wenger Knows
Borussia Bortmund	 v	Walex FC
Pure Indulgence	         v	Red Scare
Axis Of Evil	         v	Wilfried Boner
Like a Boas	         v	Pizza Party!!!!!!!!
Real Jolson	         v	Moleicester City
Chemical Snails	         v	Sunday Assassins
Madeleine McCantona	 v	Broken Metatarsals
SC Draper Pryce	         v	Witnits
FC What You Heard	 v	Villa Victis
Bring it on Wenger Knows, I'll smash your face.

Raffles fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 22, 2013

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
lowest points in the league :whatup:

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

The results for H2H1 this matchday:

code:
Belgium Juniors FC   85 - 59 MD All-Starid
What the FC          52 - 75 Qatarlona Team Dubai
1706 Strong	     83 - 59 The Tottenham Haters
Pro Bono Publica     36 - 83 FC Last Place
Hashtag FC Bootroom  59 - 38 Foreign & Overrated
Woowar Superstar     52 - 37 The Duck Army
Robbing Cars FC	     50 - 57 Arse Mullet FC
HOW DO I PLAY FANTAS 56 - 21 Sub-par Scots
TeamTeamTeam	     61 - 86 Citizen Kone
Tekkerslovakia	     83 - 92 Stone Cold Stunners
e: And next week's fixtures:

code:
Qatarlona Team Dubai v  Belgium Juniors FC
MD All-Starid        v  Tekkerslovakia
Stone Cold Stunners  v 	TeamTeamTeam
Citizen Kone	     v 	HOW DO I PLAY FANTAS
Sub-par Scots	     v 	Robbing Cars FC
Arse Mullet FC	     v 	Woowar Superstar
The Duck Army	     v 	Hashtag FC Bootroom
Foreign & Overrated  v 	Pro Bono Publica
FC Last Place	     v 	1706 Strong
The Tottenham Haters v 	What the FC

belgend fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 22, 2013

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
98 for the first week, yes I am ok with this.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Here's H2H3's results for GW1

code:
Ding Dong XI      55 - 61 Big Brendans Boys FC 
Physical Media FC 61 - 58 Daddy Mourinho 
Sleeper Service   54 - 93 Game of Throw-Ins 
Not in the face   69 - 53 AFC Jigga 
Teacup United     64 - 67 FC Porto Dragon 
The Chosen Few    59 - 80 Bankrupt & Relegated 
Flaming Mou's     76 - 87 wayth FC 
Radish FC         74 - 91 The Craven Cottagers 
Arkansas Albion   55 - 88 LaytownRulez 
Vapor Genies      73 - 98 Ice Cream Kids 
And the fixtures for GW2

code:
Big Brendans Boys FC v  Physical Media FC 
Daddy Mourinho       v  Vapor Genies 
Ice Cream Kids       v  Arkansas Albion 
LaytownRulez         v  Radish FC 
The Craven Cottagers v  Flaming Mou's 
wayth FC             v  The Chosen Few 
Bankrupt & Relegated v  Teacup United 
FC Porto Dragon      v  Not in the face  
AFC Jigga            v  Sleeper Service 
Game of Throw-Ins    v  Ding Dong XI 

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 22, 2013

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
This is H2H4:

code:
Fourth Place Cup FC 56 - 51 Lexatives
The Yohan Kebabs    46 - 74 All You Need is Wub
Equestria FC        83 - 99 Duty Free FC
HARRIS' HOTSHOT XI  43 - 88 CSKA Whitley
Brave English Lions 64 - 48 Barn Door Banjoes
Wandering Alone...  62 - 72 Dinosaucers
Chapper's Lads V    65 - 47 FC Moose Cow
Fauske Glimt	    60 - 59 Gunnersaurus Sex
This is My Design  101 - 54 Bakers Grove FC
Diamond Dynamo	    51 - 46 Big Joe Legionnaires
Fixtures:

code:
All You Need is Wub  v Fourth Place Cup FC
Lexatives            v Diamond Dynamo
Big Joe Legionnaires v This is My Design
Bakers Grove FC      v Fauske Glimt
Gunnersaurus Sex     v Chapper's Lads V
FC Moose Cow         v Wandering Alone...
Dinosaucers          v Brave English Lions
Barn Door Banjoes    v HARRIS' HOTSHOT XI
CSKA Whitley         v Equestria FC
Duty Free FC         v The Yohan Kebabs

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID
I think 74 points beats anything I scored last year. Could have had more if my midfield wasn't so bad. Mata, Michu, and Britton for a combined 5 points. Ick.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

92 points. Woof.

Many lols at the guy complaining that only bad players picked Benteke because he got all the goals and he didn't bother picking him.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Most people don't pick him because he has a horrendous opening draw for the first three weeks and showed an almost complete inability to score against Top 4 sides last year.

:shrug:

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Mills posted:

Most people don't pick him because he has a horrendous opening draw for the first three weeks and showed an almost complete inability to score against Top 4 sides last year.

:shrug:

Guess that was a bad call!

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

*pores over numerous dusty tomes, pours concoctions into beakers*

Hmm yes, I think, through the power of sabermetrics, I have devised the ultimate fantasy football soccer team for gameweek 1 of the fantasy football game. Benteke cannot, nay, will not possibly score.

*Benteke scores all the goals*

Mama mia! My spreadsheets!

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
Removing the DGW it's a harder call, but once you factor that in, getting the guy who scored who scored 19 last year, 7 in his last 4 in preseason and is the focal point for everything his team does is hardly a punt. Three goals was definitely better than expected though.

I ended up with 101 at the end of the week and it's downhill from here, I imagine.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

My brother got 13 points out of Danny Welbeck. He must be a genius too. :shepface:

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I know this is just Fantasy Football and that not everyone has a good understanding of probability but, for anyone that actually cares, the decision to buy Benteke was an objectively poor one. Based on very recent form, as well as offensive and defensive formations, it was less likely that Benteke would score in the first two game weeks (and he certainly won't in the third game week) relative to his price. There were other better options. [The exception to this rule is if you wanted a point of differential, and didn't care about the statistics or probabilities of your purchase.]

Yes, every game is different. Yes, anything can happen. But some things are more likely to happen.

[As an aside, NNN's response above is akin to tossing a coin that is biased to land 75% heads, 25% tails, expecting it to land on heads, and then being called stupid for not picking tails. Well, my friend, the stupid people in this world are the ones that think you can judge a decision based on it's uncorrelated outcome!]

In any case, I say congratulations to anyone that has him. He's made you great points and he's going to make you cash now as people scramble to get him in!

Edit: He said it better. ^^

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

My work colleague and I were going to try a new strategy this year where we take strategic points hits early this year to grow cash fast. In previous years, we've always tried to avoid points hits.

Easier said than done for me after scoring 60. He scored 100, already has Coleman, and is taking an 8 point hit to bring in Silva, Zabaleta and Benteke. I do like the idea.

Has anyone else tried this before?

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

No I would say the stupid people are the people who think they can use one season of football matches and draw anything from it, if you care about probability, variance and expected value so much maybe the first thing you should research is the concept of a proper sample size.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

In the absence of a proper sample size, you make do with what you can.

He scored once against top 8 sides last year. Once in eight games. If you start with the assumption that Benteke is likely to score goals against a Top 8 side with reasonable success (let's say 50%) as you seem to desire, what do you think the odds are that a 1 in 8 outcome happens?

I don't think anyone here, or anyone else, has said that any probabilistic method is a guaranteed 100% success rate. You seem to be moving the goal posts. First, they're idiots because Benteke couldn't possibly score. Now they're idiots because Benteke probably wouldn't score. You're running out of room to move backwards here.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I put Benteke in my team for next week because he's big and black and belge and cool. I came to this conclusion by watching videos of some of his insanely sick goals, and also googled some pictures, and thought in my head, 'drat, fairly cool'.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

I put Benteke in my team because he scores a lot of goals against smaller clubs and what do you know there's a lot more smaller clubs in the Prem than top 4 clubs.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

NeoNaoNeo posted:

No I would say the stupid people are the people who think they can use one season of football matches and draw anything from it, if you care about probability, variance and expected value so much maybe the first thing you should research is the concept of a proper sample size.

You sound pretty insecure. Well done on your week. :tipshat:

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
He scored once against top 8 sides if you ignore the 3 he got against Liverpool, thats some good statting.

edit: Also lol, 8 games? Against the top 8?

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You sound pretty insecure. Well done on your week. :tipshat:

lol I don't know I'm not the one who had to come in and assert some false superiority because people did better than me in a fantasy football game.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I think the sex ghost and I had the same professor at fantasy football university

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
I suppose the question is whether you consider scoring against top teams a relevant stat compared to the others. 14 goals in 17 or whatever since jan, 7 goals in 4 games in preseason, including 2 past malaga. I didn't expect him to score three, but the guy scores a lot of goals and it was perfectly reasonable to think that given two games he's going to nick a goal.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mills posted:

In the absence of a proper sample size, you make do with what you can.

He scored once against top 8 sides last year. Once in eight games. If you start with the assumption that Benteke is likely to score goals against a Top 8 side with reasonable success (let's say 50%) as you seem to desire, what do you think the odds are that a 1 in 8 outcome happens?

I don't think anyone here, or anyone else, has said that any probabilistic method is a guaranteed 100% success rate. You seem to be moving the goal posts. First, they're idiots because Benteke couldn't possibly score. Now they're idiots because Benteke probably wouldn't score. You're running out of room to move backwards here.

This is all complete nonsense really isn't it? I mean, Villa consistently got stronger over last season, Benteke is the focal point for all of their attacks and takes penalties, Arsenal hadn't signed anyone and always start the season like poo poo. None of which is considered by your highly scientific model.

The idea that you can take an almost random selection of variables and use them to declare a player choice "objectively poor" is ridiculous.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

You're 100% correct on both ends of your hyperbole. My highly scientific model uses a random selection of variables.

Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Benteke sophomore slump incoming imo

• Locked thread