Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

dud root posted:

Wait what? It does nothing 100% of the time?

Neither the accuracy bonus nor the crit chance bonus work. The extra damage from IP III does work, however. A while we're talking about bugs, another reason why squadsight is so great is that if you overwatch a sniper with his pistol out after moving, the reaction shot gets the same unlimited range as the sniper rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

dereku posted:

Ironman can get ruined pretty easily due to bugs. Star in classic mode and don't savescum. Don't do the tutorial mission

Thanks - good call! I wiped on my first mission and had to restart. Jumped back in and started to wrap my head around stuff. I started cranking through, losing a soldier per map but feelin' good about getting my econ and tech rolling. Did a couple maps where I didn't lose anyone, built my confidence/cash/promotions up, and was ready to BEAST MODE SOME drat ALIENS YESSIRRRR. Then in the..3rd month? a cutscene showed dem aliens blowing poo poo up and it sent me to a 'very hard' Vancouver mission to rescue a bunch of folks. Made a couple moves I thought were safe that spread me a bit and put my 2 snipers (boo injured support dude) indoors. Two chrysalids made their first appearance at a corner I moved to, turned into a zombie, hosed my poo poo up, then on my last standing soldier's pistol shot turned from a zombie into another thing and ate her head off. Daaaang. I expected a mission restart but the plane just flew out and a country said 'gently caress you, we out.' Goodbye levelled up squad, I barely knew ye. The real X-COM starts here?

I'm really digging it! Glad it runs just fine just on a 2500k while my vid card is being RMA'd. Am I being dumb about squad sight or is there some trick on using it? Range/line of sight? Front person had vision on a baddie, tabbed to my sniper and they didn't have any targets.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

Neither the accuracy bonus nor the crit chance bonus work. The extra damage from IP III does work, however. A while we're talking about bugs, another reason why squadsight is so great is that if you overwatch a sniper with his pistol out after moving, the reaction shot gets the same unlimited range as the sniper rifle.

I think the pistol upgrades work, but they don't stack with the +hit/crit from the SCOPE. That's at least what the ufopaedia wiki mentions :shobon:

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

Andre Banzai posted:

2) Hyperwave Relay: this, in my opinion, is THE point in the game where you can get screwed if you don't know what's coming. If you build the Hyperwave Relay before you build Firestorms, there's a high chance you'll discover the Overseer UFO before you're able to take it down, and you'll have a hard time keeping panic in check.
Wait wait, failing to take that down increases panic? Man, I never even noticed that! Like, I've rushed the Relay for the Ghost Armour and let the ship go about it's daily business! I didn't know it actually had a detrimental effect!

MechPlasma fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 22, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

MechPlasma posted:

Wait wait, failing to take that down increases panic? Man, I never even noticed that!

Which is actually a little weird since nobody but XCOM should be able to even see that ship. :raise:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I hope they make the final mission tougher in the expansion. It's way too easy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I hope they make the final mission tougher in the expansion. It's way too easy.

Jake said himself that it's not really supposed to be difficult, more of a victory lap.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

MechPlasma posted:

Wait wait, failing to take that down increases panic? Man, I never even noticed that! Like, I've rushed the Relay for the Ghost Armour and let the ship go about it's daily business! I didn't know it actually had a detrimental effect!

Yeah, it does. And it sucks to then have to rush Firestorms (long research and time to complete production) while it hovers above the Earth making everybody scared.

Even though, like Geight observed, nobody was even supposed to see it.

Anyway, here are some interesting news:

(from http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/22/4643478/xcom-enemy-within-gamescom-2013-garth-deangelis)

On the subject of assimilating alien parts, DeAngelis suggested that while the mechanic is a tidy way to tie the new classes into the game, players should think about the more ethical or emotional implications that come with it.

"You're taking these pieces of alien technology, and it's more so than just giving them to your scientists and engineering them, you're assimilating them inside of you to use against aliens," he said. "There's more to it than that, but I'll leave it at that for now."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Geight posted:

Which is actually a little weird since nobody but XCOM should be able to even see that ship. :raise:

It panics the council, because they read in your reports that XCOM can't take down the UFO. Each missed encounter counts against you.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Andre Banzai posted:

Anyway, here are some interesting news:

(from http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/22/4643478/xcom-enemy-within-gamescom-2013-garth-deangelis)

On the subject of assimilating alien parts, DeAngelis suggested that while the mechanic is a tidy way to tie the new classes into the game, players should think about the more ethical or emotional implications that come with it.

"You're taking these pieces of alien technology, and it's more so than just giving them to your scientists and engineering them, you're assimilating them inside of you to use against aliens," he said. "There's more to it than that, but I'll leave it at that for now."

Oh no! I assimilated alien parts and now everything is better and easier and there are no apparent downsides. Really makes you think. :jerkbag:

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I hope one of the new aliens has a little remote control that takes control of any MEC soldiers you have, and uses them to punch your sniper's face in.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Christ this game. Started up a classic run and things were going fine. Couple of my guys got shot in the face, but poo poo happens. Month 3 rolls around and I have carapace, laser, couple satalites, and two laser interceptors every where I have a satalite. First terror mission goes off without a hitch. Then I get a huge battleship ufo coming in. It dumpsters a continent that was already on the brink. I save scum a little bit trying to deal with it, but no dice I can't touch it. A few days later ANOTHER huge battleship ufo comes in and dumpsters another continent. I think gently caress this and save scum hard just to see if I can take it down. 9 time out of 10 it just kills my interceptors before they get a shot off. I'm curious to see what kind of bullshit was populating these fuckers. Probably mutons, discs, and sectopods. I don't even have laser snipers or shotguns yet, what the gently caress. Wrote that run off :xcom: The game jumped from lovely tiny ufos with a few fliers and an outsider to battleships.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

fspades posted:

Oh no! I assimilated alien parts and now everything is better and easier and there are no apparent downsides. Really makes you think. :jerkbag:
Actually, they've been hinting that there is actually going to be a downside. They said that Enemy Within refers to the implants, but that there's an unrevealed element to why that is.

My guess is that the more human modifications you make, the more people hate XCOM. And that might be sirius business!

Harrower posted:

I'm curious to see what kind of bullshit was populating these fuckers. Probably mutons, discs, and sectopods.
Month 3? Just Floaters and Sectoids. Abductors are an rear end to bring down, but their crew isn't much tougher than a Large Scout.

MechPlasma fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 22, 2013

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Or that all non-neural mods increase chance of mind control/morale failure at random.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

fspades posted:

Maybe the more mech/genetic modification a soldier has, the higher chance they have to actually betray you in-combat and permanently switch to the alien side. Like a hidden % bar or something. This could be a result of a successful mind control on the part of the alien side (mind control would probably become a threat from sectoid commanders/ethereals around the same time you're able to tech up to mech/genetic mods), or maybe from some deus ex machina brainwash machine the alien force has in space or some poo poo.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

fspades posted:

"He who fights monsters should take care to steal their technology to make a sweet mech suit that can punch them and make them explode."
-Nietzsche

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Really I'd just feel a bit guilty about turning my soldiers into half-machine monstrosities and try to win the game without it (it's not a mech suit. You appear to be replacing the soldier).

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Coolguye posted:

Jake said himself that it's not really supposed to be difficult, more of a victory lap.

A triumphant, glorious, magnificent... victory slog.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Really I'd just feel a bit guilty about turning my soldiers into half-machine monstrosities and try to win the game without it (it's not a mech suit. You appear to be replacing the soldier).

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. About how viable a "clean" XCOM run would be. No implants or genetic tinkering.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

fspades posted:

Did I miss something or are you just assuming "there's more to it" can't possibly mean downsides?

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

Alchenar posted:

There's no way they're not referring to some form of pushback in-game. I'm beginning to wonder about a three-way split between evolutionists (supporters of gene enhancement), mechanists (supporters of cybernetic enhancement), and naturalists (supporters of humanity's pure form without alien influence). If that's not an civil war waiting to happen within humanity, then I don't know what is.

On a side note, I'll be very glad if XCOM is really going to embrace its science fiction roots to that extent.

Edit: Did any of the interviews talk about the influence of cybernetic or gene enhancements on psi potential? I seem to remember there being something about MECs being off the table for it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Andre Banzai posted:

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. About how viable a "clean" XCOM run would be. No implants or genetic tinkering.

I presume it would be, the thing is that I'd do it and then think to myself "Well why the hell did I spend £20 on this expansion then?"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Edgecase posted:

There's no way they're not referring to some form of pushback in-game. I'm beginning to wonder about a three-way split between evolutionists (supporters of gene enhancement), mechanists (supporters of cybernetic enhancement), and naturalists (supporters of humanity's pure form without alien influence). If that's not an civil war waiting to happen within humanity, then I don't know what is.

Bruce Sterling's Shapers vs. Mechanists brought into X-Com? Yes please!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaper/Mechanist_universe

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I presume it would be, the thing is that I'd do it and then think to myself "Well why the hell did I spend £20 on this expansion then?"

Yes, I thought about this as well. What I came up with is that the game will force you to choose one path somehow (maybe the Council will tell you to screw with the new technology or else they'll find a new Commander, I have no idea). Because what I am wondering here is... do the developers actually want the human tinkering to be canon? Because of course they realize both those paths are morally problematic to say the least.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

There's plenty of "dark" material already present in the game though. I remember when the US government asked me for a Sectopod corpse to help them develop a police robot. And the Russians asked for plasma rifles and grenades. I'm sure none of that will come back to haunt you, no sir.

Mechs and genetic modification will hopefully be extensions of that and influence the story.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Andre Banzai posted:

Vigilo, Confido. Latin for "Hey guys, watch this!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Demiurge4 posted:

There's plenty of "dark" material already present in the game though. I remember when the US government asked me for a Sectopod corpse to help them develop a police robot. And the Russians asked for plasma rifles and grenades. I'm sure none of that will come back to haunt you, no sir.

Mechs and genetic modification will hopefully be extensions of that and influence the story.

Really, I just kind of want a Fallout style ending slideshow where it shows you some of the consequences of your decisions in the game. You repelled the alien invasion! Horray! Now watch the mec trooper gestapo stamp all over the poors. No narration necessary, just show me pictures of police modified with cybernetic eyes watching civilians from the back of their ED-209 knockoff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Demiurge4 posted:

The thing is, they don't. It's a pretty sketchy thing to claim there's a dark theme when nothing dark ever happens except in your own head. Now, if the SitRoom ticker had a blue-color followup that said American dissidents were being cracked down on due to the police's new walking battle tank...that'd be another thing again.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I don't know about you but 'Socks' would be damned pleased to have any genetic modification in him that helps him blow the poo poo out of the aliens that took out 'Mama bear'

If you go naturalist, you still have the foundry/other options, like stealth grenades or TWO (2) pockets. And the new maps.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Coolguye posted:

The thing is, they don't. It's a pretty sketchy thing to claim there's a dark theme when nothing dark ever happens except in your own head. Now, if the SitRoom ticker had a blue-color followup that said American dissidents were being cracked down on due to the police's new walking battle tank...that'd be another thing again.

I wonder if there'll be new news tickers in this? You may get that or something other.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Bruce Sterling's Shapers vs. Mechanists brought into X-Com? Yes please!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaper/Mechanist_universe

This is really awesome and for those too lazy to read the Wikipedia entry, here's an excerpt:

The Shapers attempt to push the limits by manipulating the human body itself, through genetic modification and highly specialized psychological training. The Shapers are aristocratic, placing heavy emphasis on "gene-lines"—to be "unplanned" (i.e., born) is considered a serious disadvantage. Their methods could best be described as "organic."

In contrast, the Mechanists have disdain for the Shapers' methods and instead prefer to use cybernetic augmentation, advanced computer software, technical expertise, and drugs to achieve their goals. The "Lobsters" are Mechanists who permanently seal their bodies into life-support shells allowing them to live and work in deep space. Some Mechanists even go as far as to become "wireheads"—individuals with no corporeal body who are simply manifested as computer simulations.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

fspades posted:

Also mentions "Mimic Beacons". XCOM Multiplayer is getting HOLODUKES!

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

"He who fights monsters should take care to steal their technology to make a sweet mech suit that can punch them and make them explode."
-Nietzsche

Spot the difference in the approach to transcendence as applied by

a) Ethereals

&

b) XCOM

Welmu fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 22, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Coolguye posted:

I think people just want a apocalypse remake already.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

MechPlasma posted:

Month 3? Just Floaters and Sectoids. Abductors are an rear end to bring down, but their crew isn't much tougher than a Large Scout.

I had an old save that was down on the list and loaded that one. After the terror mission it gave me abductors instead of the battle ships. Taking down the abductor was risky instead of impossible.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
My guess is that if you go down the augmentation routes then at the end of the game you join the etherals instead of blowing up the ship.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Fangz posted:

I think people just want an Apocalypse remake already.
There's still some potential DLC before that

wolfman101 posted:

My guess is that if you go down the augmentation routes then at the end of the game you join the etherals instead of blowing up the ship.
Here's the ending slide for that choice. Über‎ Ethereal on the left, psyker-MEC on the right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ7FgWTq0AM

Welmu fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 22, 2013

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Welmu posted:

Spot the difference in the approach to transcendence as applied by

a) Ethereals

&

b) XCOM

Assuming you're talking about choice, here's a question:

Does it make it morally acceptable to tinker with the bodies of your soldiers if they volunteer to do it? What if they just don't know better?

This opens a Pandora's Box of questions, really. Personally I am a firm believer in individual freedom, but morally I am a conservative. In my humble opinion, tinkering with the bodies of my soldiers would be wrong. But what if they really, really want to do it? I mean, in XCOM you are the Commander. This is not some kind of libertarian experiment that's going on here. On the other hand, this is also war, so to what extent should I force my conservative views down everyone else's throats? Not tinkering may cost more lives in the long run and make the XCOM soldiers more vulnerable to the enemy... even though I find the concept of utilitarism to be repulsive.

Etc etc.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Andre Banzai posted:

Transhumanist collywobbles
You might want to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut when it comes out.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
One mechanic twist that it occurred to me might make an interesting second wave option is that each time you "dehumanized" one of your troops with a mech or genetic upgrade, it would increase panic by one in a random country with 2 panic bars or less (so there'd be no increase if all countries were at 3 bars or more already) as the council members watch XCOM start resembling the aliens it is fighting more and more. It might stop panic from becoming a non-issue after the alien base if making heavy use of the meld came at the cost of the default world-wide panic tending toward 3 bars.

• Locked thread