Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Welmu posted:

Spot the difference in the approach to transcendence as applied by

Where are those first two images from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Welmu posted:

You might want to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut edition when it comes out.

Oh well, I wish. I hate shooters in general. :(

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fangz posted:

I think people just want a apocalypse remake already.

This DLC looks like it would be the perfect segue into the apocalypse remake.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I thought Apocalypse wasn't considered canon by XCOM fans on account of it's story being a gutted piece of garbage? Why go there for a sequel and not, I dunno, Alliance? Not an FPS of course, but the idea of flying around a ship, modifying it and raiding alien bases for materials as you strike deeper into alien occupied territory and investigate the homeworlds of the enslaved races is just too good to pass up.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Geight posted:

Where are those first two images from?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZdanb02280

Andre Banzai posted:

Oh well, I wish. I hate shooters in general. :(
Then don't play it as a shooter. Play it stealthy, hack stuff left and right, and make it through the game without killing (almost) anyone for an achivement. You might be pleasantly surprised: think how many console gamers who had never played strategy games before suddenly found XCOM to be :krad:

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I thought Apocalypse wasn't considered canon by XCOM fans on account of it's story being a gutted piece of garbage? Why go there for a sequel and not, I dunno, Alliance?

Or maybe just scrap whatever was done before and just go somewhere better with the franchise?

Full disclosure, I am one of those fans that hated Apocalypse.

Also Apocalypse was supposed to be a Judge Dredd game that just got adapted to receive an XCOM makeover.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Welmu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZdanb02280

Then don't play it as a shooter. Play it stealthy, hack stuff left and right, and make it through the game without killing anyone for an achivement. You might be pleasantly surprised: think how many console gamers who had never played strategy games before suddenly found XCOM to be :krad:

Let me explain this a little better. I have almost zero sense of direction. I get lost in places I've already visited 20 times before. First person games frustrate me so much that I eventually give up. I gave up on Batman Arkham City because I couldn't leave a building after more than an hour trying to find my way out.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Andre Banzai posted:

Let me explain this a little better. I have almost zero sense of direction. I get lost in places I've already visited 20 times before. First person games frustrate me so much that I eventually give up. I gave up on Batman Arkham City because I couldn't leave a building after more than an hour trying to find my way out.

Play Skyrim Legendary Edition: pick a direction, travel in it, find adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvM9uwOcUc

Or the CoD 4 Modern Warfare singleplayer campaign: you can effectively advance in only one direction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygx1EU5OWN0

Welmu fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 22, 2013

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Andre Banzai posted:

I have a decent sense of direction and there are some maps in Deus Ex that I get pretty turned around in and the 2d maps are only mildly helpful. So yeah, you would probably get frustrated.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Play Skyrim, cheat yourself 99,999 bread loaves, stop every twenty feet and drop one.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

THS posted:

Play Skyrim, cheat yourself 99,999 bread loaves, stop every twenty feet and drop one.

Hahahaha ironically enough, I have played Skyrim. Fast travel saved me! Pretty good game, sandbox games in general are alright to play. I don't have this problem in GTA because of the GPS thingy. But I kinda have to always ask the game to point me the way, or else it turns into a horrible nightmare.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Welmu posted:

Or the CoD 4 Modern Warfare singleplayer campaign: you can effectively advance in only one direction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygx1EU5OWN0

I have played that one, it's very good! :)

Hahahaha let's suggest games to this brain-deficient specimen here!

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Andre Banzai posted:

I have played that one, it's very good! :)

Hahahaha let's suggest games to this brain-deficient specimen here!

Might as well do this in the thread

To pass the time until more facts are revealed and we have less baseless speculation about doom-and-gloom ending theories.

From a few pages back:

Cythereal posted:

And to be quite honest, I don't think X-COM attracts the most mentally stable soldiers who hope to die in bed surrounded by friends and family.
Who would you rather have at your side as mechanized pointman when fending off an alien incursion threatening all life on Earth?

a) A man who storms beaches broadsword in hand

b) An Army of One

Welmu fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 22, 2013

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Andre Banzai posted:

Assuming you're talking about choice, here's a question:

Does it make it morally acceptable to tinker with the bodies of your soldiers if they volunteer to do it? What if they just don't know better?

This opens a Pandora's Box of questions, really. Personally I am a firm believer in individual freedom, but morally I am a conservative. In my humble opinion, tinkering with the bodies of my soldiers would be wrong. But what if they really, really want to do it? I mean, in XCOM you are the Commander. This is not some kind of libertarian experiment that's going on here. On the other hand, this is also war, so to what extent should I force my conservative views down everyone else's throats? Not tinkering may cost more lives in the long run and make the XCOM soldiers more vulnerable to the enemy... even though I find the concept of utilitarism to be repulsive.

Etc etc.

I can't wait to hear what Dr. Shen thinks of your request that he figures out a way to screw the decapitated heads of soldiers into this mech you hauled back from the battlefield :allears:

And Dr. Valen's excitement and curiosity getting creepier and creepier as she researches sawing people apart and stitching them up with robo-limbs and extra hearts and stuff.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

NESguerilla posted:

Lots of new new MP maps, but no mention of them even attempting to balance MP or fix the bugs/exploits? It seems like the first thing they should have addressed when talking about multiplayer.

I'm pretty sure lots of bugfixes to some annoying bugs will be included. :)

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know what? gently caress the robot punches and the new maps. I just want some quality-of-life stuff. No more yanking the camera out of my hands so that I can stare at some dude in the middle of the map while he's droning on about something. No more waiting for every drat rookie to finish his or her "panicked breathing" routine before I can get back to playing. Maybe a faster weapon swap animation for those of us who can never figure out which gun to use.

Although, yeah, super stoked to fight on the cabbage farm again. Y'all have no idea.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Demiurge4 posted:

I thought Apocalypse wasn't considered canon by XCOM fans on account of it's story being a gutted piece of garbage? Why go there for a sequel and not, I dunno, Alliance? Not an FPS of course, but the idea of flying around a ship, modifying it and raiding alien bases for materials as you strike deeper into alien occupied territory and investigate the homeworlds of the enslaved races is just too good to pass up.

The idea of there being an XCOM 'canon' is pretty loving hilarious to begin with, honestly. You shoot little green men with your square-jawed dudes and valkyrie-like ladies in an unforgiving environment where a lot of poo poo dies. Pretty much every XCOM fan reads that and basically says 'yep, I'm good, let's do this.' You don't need a deep and rich extended universe here.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
I really hope that none of these proposed down sides genejacking or robocop-ing your dudes are what Firaxis is hinting at. They all sound terribly unfun, and only give players less incentive to bother putting their soldiers in danger to get the melds. We can already handle aliens just fine without any melding, so why even bother with robots and poo poo if the down side is something stupid like "10% chance to instantly lose the game :downs:"?

EDIT: In other news, I've finally figured out how to make my panic tweaks work! Stopping abductions keeps panic from rising, but doesn't lower it! Combined with my other .ini and ToolBoks settings (like showing UFOs on missions, allowing abductions in covered countries, and lowering the amount that panic can be raised or lowered at any one time) makes the steady rise of global panic feel much more natural on Marathon, and it makes your options for lowering panic feel much more organic (you calm people down a lot more by preventing attacks and abductions than you do by stopping ones already in progress).

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 22, 2013

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

We can already handle aliens just fine without any melding

The *current* enemies, at least.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Coolguye posted:

The idea of there being an XCOM 'canon' is pretty loving hilarious to begin with, honestly. You shoot little green men with your square-jawed dudes and valkyrie-like ladies in an unforgiving environment where a lot of poo poo dies. Pretty much every XCOM fan reads that and basically says 'yep, I'm good, let's do this.' You don't need a deep and rich extended universe here.

"Before every game of chess, I first create a name and backstory for each piece and how they got there and why they're fighting and
:goonsay:

Then I customize their outfit and hat

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ernie Muppari posted:

I really hope that none of these proposed down sides genejacking or robocop-ing your dudes are what Firaxis is hinting at. They all sound terribly unfun, and only give players less incentive to bother putting their soldiers in danger to get the melds. We can already handle aliens just fine without any melding, so why even bother with robots and poo poo if the down side is something stupid like "10% chance to instantly lose the game :downs:"?

Not advocating any particular downside here or their presence as standard mechanics, but I imagine there's going to be situations in EW where you're just as screwed without gene upgrades and mechs as you would have been in EU if you for some reason decided never to use snipers and heavies.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

p.crestmont posted:

I can't wait to hear what Dr. Shen thinks of your request that he figures out a way to screw the decapitated heads of soldiers into this mech you hauled back from the battlefield :allears:

And Dr. Valen's excitement and curiosity getting creepier and creepier as she researches sawing people apart and stitching them up with robo-limbs and extra hearts and stuff.

Doesn't they conserve their torso? It's not just their heads, right?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Coolguye posted:

You say this, but holy poo poo were people freaking the gently caress out about the canon and sectoids and poo poo when they saw the cube dudes or black goo or whatever in the original bureau trailer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

No lie, I want an X-Com tabletop board game or RPG.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Andre Banzai posted:

They get either armor plating or mechanized boobs

Welmu fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 22, 2013

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Andre Banzai posted:

Actually it looks like they probably do; I just like the idea of it just being their head and spinal cord wired into a suit. It gets rid of all the "breathing" and "eating" nonsense inneficiencies of the regular human soldier.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Lotish posted:

The Lead Designer on XCOM: Enemy Within designed the boardgame "Twilight Struggle"

S.J.
May 19, 2008

^^ I work at a store where we sell board games and poo poo, Twilight Struggle is amazing

Lotish posted:

Somewhat similar, though I haven't read any reviews yet http://privateerpress.com/level-7/level-7-omega-protocol

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Coolguye posted:

Those of us who enjoy strategy gaming for strategy gaming's sake are this. Try not to worry about the rest of the children and what they want for their Crayola books, it'll only bring you down. In the end, it really does not matter. You're going to hit new game right away because you want to play some strategy not because you want to try and extrapolate canon from throwaway dialogue by support NPCs.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
X-Com canon: http://www.strategycore.co.uk/databank/series/x-com/fan-fiction/x-com-saga/page9

(not really)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

An Inquisitor: Xenos game would just be the cat's meow.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Technically I only craft out a backstory after they get a nickname
:goonsay:

New hats are confirmed, right? I saw the sleeveless vest so new armor types are confirmed at least.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

S.J. posted:

You say this, but holy poo poo were people freaking the gently caress out about the canon and sectoids and poo poo when they saw the cube dudes or black goo or whatever in the original bureau trailer.

People were freaking when the entire future of the franchise seemed to be just another action game where even the aesthetics of the world and enemies now seemed unconnected to the game that the franchise was actually loved for. People immediately stopped giving a poo poo about how little the bureau had in common with the original when EU was announced.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

p.crestmont posted:

Actually it looks like they probably do; I just like the idea of it just being their head and spinal cord wired into a suit. It gets rid of all the "breathing" and "eating" nonsense inneficiencies of the regular human soldier.

Hahahahahahahaha

Dr. Vahlen would probably agree with you wholeheartedly. A Psionic Robocop, man, I'm sure the Ethereals would sallivate at that thought.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

TalonDemonKing posted:

New hats are confirmed, right? I saw the sleeveless vest so new armor types are confirmed at least.

I think that the sleeveless/vest armor is what your genejacks end up wearing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Slashrat posted:

People were freaking when the entire future of the franchise seemed to be just another action game where even the aesthetics of the world and enemies now seemed unconnected to the game that the franchise was actually loved for.

No, they were freaking out about canon and stupid bullshit just as much if not more than anything else. And then they kept doing it after EU was announced.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Andre Banzai posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

Dr. Vahlen would probably agree with you wholeheartedly. A Psionic Robocop, man, I'm sure the Ethereals would sallivate at that thought.

If the ethereals were willing to accept cybernetics as a solution for their own frail bodies, I think they'd just have passed on the whole "humans!" thing and left us alone while they turned themselves into mech-mounted brains-in-jar.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Nail Rat posted:

X-Com canon:

Fixed that for you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Welmu posted:

Fixed that for you.

What's that? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
^ Ah yes, the "gently caress our damage rating score" squad. Aliens can't hide in a building if you shoot it to pieces :black101:

Lotish posted:

What's that? :stare:

Apocalypse real-time mode where all the X-COM troopers are dual-wielding Devastator Cannons (think Heavy Plasma). Usually, that happened every time an enemy appeared.

• Locked thread