Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mooseykins posted:

Don't know the back story, i was sent these pics:

I think it has worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Mooseykins posted:

VM Motori engines are crap. :eng99:

What about the 3.0 V6 in the new Grand Cherokee? :ohdear:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Not yet a complete mechanical failure, but getting there. Sorry for the blur, I was driving so I didn't really spend time looking at the screen.

Click for big, the shrunken version really hides the extent of the problem.

This truck was not changing lanes in these pictures, it was driving straight down the middle. The rear wheel on my side was nowhere near the center of the opening, I wish I had seen the other side because it looks like it would have been worse.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

4 "mounts" in total, you can see them in the picture I posted above. 3 on one side, the upper and lower struts, the point on the frame rail (the only one of of the 4 that is filled but it's the softest of the bunch) and one on the transmission. The rail mount (bottom left in that picture) usually starts sagging at around 30k if you haven't taken the slack out else where with dog bones or filling the others.

You can call it whatever you like but I know when I go to the dealer to buy a "motor mount" they'll ask me which of the 4 I need and if it's a Neon you should probably just buy all 4.

Edit: Also this vvv

the neon only has 3 top passenger side bottom passenger side and drivers side transmission.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

wolrah posted:

Not yet a complete mechanical failure, but getting there. Sorry for the blur, I was driving so I didn't really spend time looking at the screen.

Click for big, the shrunken version really hides the extent of the problem.

This truck was not changing lanes in these pictures, it was driving straight down the middle. The rear wheel on my side was nowhere near the center of the opening, I wish I had seen the other side because it looks like it would have been worse.

Even with your description I have no idea what's going on here.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Look at the orientation of the rear wheel. Then look at the orientation of the truck in the lane. Then realize that the vector of the truck is parallel to the lane markers.

:stonklol:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'd love to wonder how the gently caress that truck got rented out.

... but it's U-Haul. It won't get any attention until the rear end falls off. And when it does, it'll get some scotch tape to hold it back on (and whoever's driving it at the time will get a massive bill for damages, towing, loss of revenue, etc, in addition to the hospital bills [or funeral expenses] from it rolling down a mountain).

The last U-Haul I rented (in 2007) was a 1988 or 1989 Toyota chassis (whatever the first year for the V6 was). No idea how many miles were on it, the odometer had stopped a bit south of 400k. Keeping it in a lane wasn't possible, and I couldn't get it over about 50 mph empty (but I did get to see massive clouds of blue smoke in the mirrors). Check engine, oil, alternator, and brake lights took turns entertaining me, the temp gauge also liked to dance a bit. The engine knocked enough that I was fully expecting a new and exciting viewing window in the block.

The manager's attitude was "this is the only truck we have available, it's a 10 foot even though you rented a 17 foot, and rented it 3 weeks in advance. And you won't be able to find another truck rental at this hour on a Friday anyway, AMIRITE? :smug: "

tl;dr I don't think they take very good care of their fleets. Or customers.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 22, 2013

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Every U-Haul truck is registered in Arizona, which is a little more than convenient seeing as they don't require vehicle safety inspections.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

But its the only other stock diesel the Jeep XJ came with :argh:

Yeah, the 2.5, which is also crap. Poorly designed. Done a number of cylinder head gaskets on them because no-one else will touch them!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

BoostCreep posted:

What about the 3.0 V6 in the new Grand Cherokee? :ohdear:

Don't count on it being good in the long run.

Looking at pics of the cylinder heads, that's gonna be trouble for seized diesel injectors.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 22, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
No picture, but I saw a truck worse than that uhaul last weekend in the UP (Keeweenaw actually). It was a dump truck, an old Mack I think, that was owned by a logging company, and had *no* license plate. It turned in front of me on a two lane highway and I ended up following it for about an hour. I first noticed "Hey, this thing's driver side front wheel sticks out a lot more than the back wheels do." Then I noticed that he kept swerving around, almost like he had to fight the natural inclination of the truck.

I then asked my passenger if they could see the passenger side front wheel sticking out, and they were like "I can't see any wheels on this side...". That truck must have been rolled or somehow bent in a concave shape towards the driver's side. It was seriously sketch, and I have no idea how a truck of that size could be so badly hosed, or how the hell it was still being driven. I'm assuming it lacked a license plate because there's no way it was safe enough to pass inspection.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Inspections? In the yoop?

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Whoops. Whoever decided to put the shock mounts on the front of Landcruiser diffs I would like to kill. Best guess is a rock hit the washer which holds the shock on, bending it and allowing the super old bushing to break apart and the shock to find its new home behind the axle housing.

Kontour fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 22, 2013

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

What purpose does the multiple meters of fence wire serve?

My bilsteins wear a set of 2mm thick armor plates on their leading edges because of the risk of a stone denting the monotubes and writing off a $250 shock. The Old Man Emu's I pulled off after 70K kms didnt have paint on them for the first 4" up from the bottom eye from rocks being flung back from the front wheels

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

otaku69 posted:

the neon only has 3 top passenger side bottom passenger side and drivers side transmission.

There's 4, I promise.

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Ferremit posted:

What purpose does the multiple meters of fence wire serve?

My bilsteins wear a set of 2mm thick armor plates on their leading edges because of the risk of a stone denting the monotubes and writing off a $250 shock. The Old Man Emu's I pulled off after 70K kms didnt have paint on them for the first 4" up from the bottom eye from rocks being flung back from the front wheels

It's paracord, after using about a thousand rocks and various swear words to jack the thing high enough to get the shock out from behind the diff, the 14mm bolts for the top shock mount refused to come out with a ratchet, so I said gently caress it, tied the bottom eye to the diff housing, and drove the 50km back to town to borrow an impact wrench.

The whole thing needs new suspension anyway, and I'll definitely be installing stone guards when I do it. Which Bilsteins are you running? I was thinking about getting some after hearing a few less than stellar reports about OME.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Jesus Christ, only one of those fuckers is solid. :drat:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Kontour posted:

It's paracord, after using about a thousand rocks and various swear words to jack the thing high enough to get the shock out from behind the diff, the 14mm bolts for the top shock mount refused to come out with a ratchet, so I said gently caress it, tied the bottom eye to the diff housing, and drove the 50km back to town to borrow an impact wrench.

The whole thing needs new suspension anyway, and I'll definitely be installing stone guards when I do it. Which Bilsteins are you running? I was thinking about getting some after hearing a few less than stellar reports about OME.

Im running B6's on mine with the IFS. I got 70K kms out of the OME's before the bushings flogged out and the one of the rear shocks died, but the car weighs 3.11 tonnes EMPTY and at least 15K kms of those kms were touring, so easily pushing close to 4 tonnes.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

I guess that's one way to do... something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

thylacine posted:

I guess that's one way to do... something.

Crush your leg? I've done that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

That jack looks wound down? Or has it just had a catastrophic thread failure?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Beats me, I just saw it in the neighbor's driveway while walking the dog. The driver's side has a donut on, maybe they blew out both tires somehow and don't know how to use a jack/it's broken. Our neighborhood is decently friendly, I would've lent them some jack stands. Is it going to break anything sitting on the drum?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

thylacine posted:

Beats me, I just saw it in the neighbor's driveway while walking the dog. The driver's side has a donut on, maybe they blew out both tires somehow and don't know how to use a jack/it's broken. Our neighborhood is decently friendly, I would've lent them some jack stands. Is it going to break anything sitting on the drum rotor?
Disc brakes bro.

Will it break anything? Probably not. Could it slightly damage the outer edge of the rotor and accelerate pad wear, or even warp since the rotor isn't normally load-bearing? Potentially. Is it a good idea? Definitely not.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Friend finished a 6.0 LQ9 conversion in his Jeep J10 pickup. 40" tires, 1 ton axles, doubler, SM465 tranny, LQ9. Drove great. Did a holeshot for the hell of it, spun tires for 30 feet, then all hell broke loose. Never got traction, so it wasn't shock loading... and a bunch of people have used that clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combo on LQ9 swaps.

A piece of the flywheel hit the gas pedal and destroyed it while his foot was on it. He walked away.

It's getting rebuilt, and he's using an NV4500 next time (since the tranny was destroyed as collateral damage anyways) and a loving scatter shield bellhousing this time.

Total damages:
chunks torn off the back of the engine block
flywheel exploded
clutch everywhere
pressure plate everywhere
bellhousing in a million pieces
input shaft broken right off the transmission
huge gash torn in the side of the 1/4" thick frame rail
fuel lines severed, fire (fortunately he had an extinguisher)
wiring harness destroyed by fire
chunks of flywheel shredded the trans tunnel and destroyed the drive by wire gas pedal as well.

Part of the flywheel went THREE INCHES into the asphalt. He posted more pics, I'll put them up when I get a chance.

Grenade proof bellhousings. Use them.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
:stonk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Friend finished a 6.0 LQ9 conversion in his Jeep J10 pickup. 40" tires, 1 ton axles, doubler, SM465 tranny, LQ9. Drove great. Did a holeshot for the hell of it, spun tires for 30 feet, then all hell broke loose. Never got traction, so it wasn't shock loading... and a bunch of people have used that clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combo on LQ9 swaps.

A piece of the flywheel hit the gas pedal and destroyed it while his foot was on it. He walked away.

It's getting rebuilt, and he's using an NV4500 next time (since the tranny was destroyed as collateral damage anyways) and a loving scatter shield bellhousing this time.

Total damages:
chunks torn off the back of the engine block
flywheel exploded
clutch everywhere
pressure plate everywhere
bellhousing in a million pieces
input shaft broken right off the transmission
huge gash torn in the side of the 1/4" thick frame rail
fuel lines severed, fire (fortunately he had an extinguisher)
wiring harness destroyed by fire
chunks of flywheel shredded the trans tunnel and destroyed the drive by wire gas pedal as well.

Part of the flywheel went THREE INCHES into the asphalt. He posted more pics, I'll put them up when I get a chance.

Grenade proof bellhousings. Use them.

Yeah...that had to be the flywheel cracking. Who made that flywheel so I can never buy their products?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It was a powertorque nfw1050. No vibrations, went together like cake, fit perfectly, drove well, then the first time it got stressed, it went everywhere.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

It was a powertorque nfw1050. No vibrations, went together like cake, fit perfectly, drove well, then the first time it got stressed, it went everywhere.

Had to be some microfissures that got cracked by the centrifical force.

We'll never know I guess...

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
This is exactly why I spent the cash on the SFI QuickTime steel bellhousing for the truck. I like my legs the way they are.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That's got product liability written all over it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I love that this shows up a day or two after the subject was mentioned in the stupid questions thread.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Godholio posted:

I love that this shows up a day or two after the subject was mentioned in the stupid questions thread.

My thought exactly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Das Volk posted:

That's got product liability written all over it.

Yeah, a bunch of people he knows are trying to get him to talk to a lawyer. Between the fact that it's not in the vehicle it was intended for, nor with the tranny it was intended for, I'm not sure he has a case, but I'm not a lawyer.

I think he'll have better luck threatening to give them a bloody nose in the automotive community by posting pictures of their exploded flywheel on every offroad/truck fabrication and tuning site he's on, which is a lot of them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Yeah, a bunch of people he knows are trying to get him to talk to a lawyer. Between the fact that it's not in the vehicle it was intended for, nor with the tranny it was intended for, I'm not sure he has a case, but I'm not a lawyer.

I think he'll have better luck threatening to give them a bloody nose in the automotive community by posting pictures of their exploded flywheel on every offroad/truck fabrication and tuning site he's on, which is a lot of them.

Its not like it matters from an engineering standpoint anyways, theoretically the flywheel functions the same in that installation as it would in its intended installation.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

kastein posted:

He posted more pics

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1421993-lq4-lq9-flywheel-carnage-inside.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That's him, but those aren't all the pics. I can't even remember where I saw them now, it was either another forum or facebook.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
That's from some undeveloped country where industrial goods are hard to come by and guys sit on the corner welding with car batteries, right?

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
You don't need a shock anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Ive seen this on a car for a charity rally. On one of the RWD Volvos. 740 or 940 or something like that. They drove it from Germany to Jordan and then gave it away to someone down there who needed a car but couldn't afford one.
Worked alright if you had a box of tennis balls to restock it from time to time...