Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

WorkingPeer posted:

also i'm vista running on an apple cinema display. how dare u desecrate stebe's legacy like that? :mad:

it's windows 7 dumbass. and i do not desecrete stebe's legacy, i honor him by keeping that same drat 20" display for nearly a decade now even though the backlight is dimming and the pixels are getting sluggish cause it still has phenomenal color and viewing angles

also it's a really pretty design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

yep but at least it's not a dotes, ty for explaining. still seems more difficult than having monitors to your side or whatever but i guess it's a compromise

is there a term for flight sims dudes like grognard for p&p rpg nerds?

well technically if you're doing combat flight sims you don't care as much about monitors to your side, you want lots of them in a big vertical stack over your head. that's where the lift vector is so that's where all your enemies are likely to be flying when you're following them. head tracker lets you look wherever you want with no blind spots though and you can assemble one for the cost of a webcam, baseball cap, coat hanger wire and leds. it's the next best thing to a bubble projector if you ask me

i dunno about a term for flight sim dudes, i've just heard "simmers", but there are a lot of historical realism weenies who form "squadrons" or "jagtdgruppes" or w/e and give themselves oberstfuhrer ranks and so on. like if i sound spergy....at least i'm not the sort of person who bans people from his server because they used the incorrect insignia for the mission date ("you're using 1943-winter style lettering and this mission is CLEARLY set in 1941!!! GET hosed").

or the kind who flies virtual airline simulators across the atlantic in real time. take off in new york, reach 1500 feet agl, activate autopilot, go and make dinner and clean the house and watch a couple of movies, return 5 hours later when the alarm goes off, land in heathrow. gg, good work everyone

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
sorry to interupt flight sim chat but whats it called when you give a class or object the ability to be added or subtracted and how is it done wanna make the draw update and add velocity with as clean a look as I can

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

hubris.height posted:

sorry to interupt flight sim chat but whats it called when you give a class or object the ability to be added or subtracted and how is it done wanna make the draw update and add velocity with as clean a look as I can

operator overloading
http://docs.python.org/2/library/operator.html

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

actually, more like this link
http://docs.python.org/2/reference/datamodel.html#emulating-numeric-types

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hubris another reason to avoid integers in your velocity calculations is that this
code:
random.randint(1,5)/6
is always going to return zero so this whole thing
code:
velocity[0] += (math.ceil((random.randint(1,5)/6)*(velocity[0]^2))+random.randint(1,5))
can be simplified to
code:
velocity[0] += random.randint(1,5)
which I assume is not what you are going for.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

odark thirty posted:

can be simplified
unless he using python 3

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

or
code:
from __future__ import division

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

peepsalot posted:

unless he using python 3

poo poo you're right, I haven't used python3 in a while.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i am using python3 so it always goes to float, which is why i math.ceil() the result so it rounds up the result of that little multiplication, but in the end i took that whole piece of poo poo out, ripped it apart and made it based around each object being an actor with attributes and then increasing the velocity by a random int between 1 and 6 so it starts slow and then gets pretty fast and ends up bouncing in the same pattern forever. gotta add a nudge or something but that's for future use

but thank you because i never really looked at that and went 'this is stupid and here is why' and now i have something to put in the 'stupid idea you abandoned' column.

the end result of this is to have a library of classes and functions that will make drawing and such really easy, and treat each object as an actor to make either a presentation or a simple game that i can nod sagely at.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

or the kind who flies virtual airline simulators across the atlantic in real time. take off in new york, reach 1500 feet agl, activate autopilot, go and make dinner and clean the house and watch a couple of movies, return 5 hours later when the alarm goes off, land in heathrow. gg, good work everyone

went through a flightsim phase in high school where'd set up the autopilot before bed and wake up in the morning to invariably discover that I'd forgotten to turn on anti-icing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

icing kept loving me over in dcs black shark until i figured out what was going on. just climbing through some clouds, minding my own business, and WATCH EKRAN WATCH EKRAN *rotors fly off*

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
i'm really loving learning about electronics. this enthusiastic australian man with a slightly annoying voice is the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXE_dh38HjU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sagebrush posted:

it's windows 7 dumbass. and i do not desecrete stebe's legacy, i honor him by keeping that same drat 20" display for nearly a decade now even though the backlight is dimming and the pixels are getting sluggish cause it still has phenomenal color and viewing angles

also it's a really pretty design

those 20" ACDs were basically the most bomb-rear end LCD when they came out for like a year until dell started buying the same panels to make a quality line (UltraSharps)

I have two on my desk; one has nearly no lamp-hours, it's great
(except it means I can't get it to look the same as my other one which has several thousand hours)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Techshop is really cool and I wish there was one near me. I really like building things because there's something satisfying about finishing a project and being able to stand back and look at what you've created.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Mr. Apollo posted:

Techshop is really cool and I wish there was one near me. I really like building things because there's something satisfying about finishing a project and being able to stand back and look at what you've created.

just looked that up. why doesn't something like this exist in the uk? hackspace is okay but its full of smelly nerds and half the equipment is out of service at any given time. :mad:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

WorkingPeer posted:

i'm really loving learning about electronics. this enthusiastic australian man with a slightly annoying voice is the best:

i want that tshirt

no i will not fix your computer

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

coffeetable posted:

i want that tshirt

no i will not fix your computer

he sells them in his store
http://www.eevblog.com/merch/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WorkingPeer posted:

i watch his video's too i really like them but he does tend to ramble on and i'm left wondering why the hell a video is 40m long with 10m of content.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

why the hell a video is 40m long with 10m of content.

youtube.com

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

and why he posts hour long videos of himself opening his mail

"oh look, someone in spain sent me six LEDs, lets talk about them for 15 minutes"

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Sweevo posted:

and why he posts hour long videos of himself opening his mail

"oh look, someone in spain sent me six LEDs, lets talk about them for 15 minutes"

an electronics nerd is a sperg? well colour me shocked!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

WorkingPeer posted:

didnt watch but dfm is pretty easy just keep all trace angles oblique and use as few different parts as possible

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bloody posted:

didnt watch but dfm is pretty easy just keep all trace angles oblique and use as few different parts as possible

yeah thats essentially what he conveys but he takes an hour to do it. it's worth a watch anyway cause none of us have anything better to do

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

WorkingPeer posted:

yeah thats essentially what he conveys but he takes an hour to do it. it's worth a watch anyway cause none of us have anything better to do

:justpost:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

WorkingPeer posted:

i can't stand that condescending prick.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
my idiot spare time project is making some sort of speedo with my 1st gen raspberry pi (read: windows 98 machines had more memory) and so far it's a great success

well, it records speeds, distance, Vmax, Vavg etc on a nice negative rgb shield with 24-bit colour display (wait actually i meant (2 + 4) bit), however it has an amazing tendency to segfault

it's probably segfaulting because i loving hate python and i'm not using official adafruit libraries or something like that - i'd rather do it in node.js than in py. that or probably i2c poo poo

once i get this segfault poo poo fixed, i'll be hooking it to sqlite/nosql and adding some persistence into it
and possibly a 10Hz GPS unit - unfortunately my cheapo GPS unit only is capable of doing one check per second.

yeah, it's not a remote pressure cooker BUT IT KEEPS ME HAPPY.

Westie fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 24, 2013

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
actually signed up for techshop today

first project is a bed chiller using 2 peltiers with cpu coolers for heatsinks, gonna fabricate a housing for it on the cnc milling machine and use the industrial sewing machine to put coolant tubes into a mattress pad

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

kwinkles posted:

first project is a bed chiller using 2 peltiers with cpu coolers for heatsinks, gonna fabricate a housing for it on the cnc milling machine and use the industrial sewing machine to put coolant tubes into a mattress pad

Turn your bed into a BitCoin miner with this one weird tip

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

kwinkles posted:

why isn't this in the uk

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

we just got techshop in pittsburgh but i'm too busy/lazy to use my drat soldering iron let alone cnc mills or 3d printers or whatever :sigh:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i had to solder a couple wires in my car the other day and didnt feel like running an extension cord so i brought out an old screwdriver and a propane torch. old school style.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Werthog 95 posted:

we just got techshop in pittsburgh but i'm too busy/lazy to use my drat soldering iron let alone cnc mills or 3d printers or whatever :sigh:

i have the cnc mill basic safety class tomorrow morning, then i get to go hog wild on this thing

http://www.tormach.com/product_pcnc_main.html

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

golgo13sf posted:

Turn your bed into a BitCoin miner with this one weird tip

it's gonna be basically 2 of this thing, should handle a 100 watt load (100 watts for me, this is not going to go on the waifu's side of the bed) and keep the cool side of the peltiers at about 65 degrees in a 75 degree room

http://www.shine7.com/aquarium/chiller.htm

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Jonny 290 posted:

i had to solder a couple wires in my car the other day and didnt feel like running an extension cord so i brought out an old screwdriver and a propane torch. old school style.

butane soldering irons are awesome for auto work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i think when we head out im going to get rid of my shoebox full of radio shack shitirons and pick up a hakko 888 and a butane torch. should cover me

im going to be losing a lot of power tools and poo poo, no more random chainsawing in the back yard for me. need to get my electronics rig sorted.

ideally i would build a portable workbench type thing with built in storage and everything ready to go, something that easily breaks down for transport and fits in the back seat or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

that's cool but get one of these. it's awesome http://www.amazon.com/Portasol-011289250-Piezo-75-Watt-Heat/dp/B003HHK7KG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377384414&sr=8-2&keywords=portasol

e: you only have a radio shack iron? fffuuuuuuuuuuuu a good soldering station will blow your mind. get a hakko 936 and that propiezo

(the 936 is the more badass looking heavier duty older version of the 888)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 24, 2013

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

get a metcal :getin:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

that looks neat-o

e: i've lived my whole life using shitirons. i must get myself a decent soldering thinger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

that looks neat-o

e: i've lived my whole life using shitirons. i must get myself a decent soldering thinger

yah it's really good. it works as a torch, hot air thingy, hot knife and soldering iron. not ideal for tiny parts and the hot air thing is less powerful than you'd hope (ie for heat shrink it's way more effective to just pass the torch over it quickly). but it has a lot of heat output and being able to click it on and solder heavy wires in your engine for 2-3 hours without electricity is just wonderful

combine a good butane iron like that with a decent soldering station like the 936, fx-888 or wes51 and you're basically set for everything you'll come across in 99% of electronics work

e: i also think it's v. cool that the iron tips and the hot air are flameless. you ignite it for about 1 second to preheat the catalyst, then it burns out and the gas flowing onto the hot platinum makes heat and is completely self-sustaining. neato

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 25, 2013