Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

However you end up doing it, don't announce it like this.

I think most backers would be cool with a wider net of playtesters. Maybe make the backers' playtest packets even more special by putting in "what we're thinking" notes in the margins, like a director's commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

It has become pretty common for kickstarters to offer some way for people to functionally become backers after the KS ends. This is no different, as far as I can tell.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I would be pretty sad if pre-orders couldn't get access because I missed the 13th True Ways kickstarter by 3 days.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Given the degree to which 13th Age's profile has increased since the 13 True Ways campaign, it seems really short-sighted to me to restrict access to pre-orders.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

moths posted:

However you end up doing it, don't announce it like this.

I think most backers would be cool with a wider net of playtesters. Maybe make the backers' playtest packets even more special by putting in "what we're thinking" notes in the margins, like a director's commentary.

Do you mean don't announce it in a backers-only update, or is there something horrible there that I can't see because I didn't back that campaign?

I'm with other 13 True Ways backers in not caring if pre-orders get the same stuff I get as a backer. Things that get more people to pre-order can only help the system do better, which helps me use it more.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Gasperkun posted:

As far as converting stuff from 4e to 13A... This blog is primarily class and race-oriented from what I can see but there are some monster entries too. The guy who writes it is pretty active on the G+ group and the Pelgrane forums. He also got selected as a writer for that Tome of Races thing (which is on the high cost side, I agree, but I wanted folks to be aware, in case... since IGG doesn't get discussed nearly as often as Kickstarter).

Yeah, Lawrence. Lawrence is pretty cool. He's also the guy behind the Eldritch Knight and another writer for Tales of the 13th Age. He knows his business.

Dionysos510
Sep 10, 2012
I'm another True Ways backer who doesn't mind preorders being able to preview stuff. I don't see how I benefit by having fans of the game that I like shut out of playtesting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sorry I didn't realize it was backers only. So first, don't do that.

It's this rambling in-character (?) essay about why Robin Laws is selling copies of the book you've already paid for at Gencon instead of mailing them to you. It's embarrassing to read, and there was a kerfuffle in the KS thread when it went down, but the tl;dr of it is to be direct and treat your backers respectfully. Backers want a project to succeed and to be the best project. If that means short-term disappointment for a better end product, do that. If that means oh no our ~exclusive~ playtest isn't closed? Well that's fine too. But be direct and honest about why it's happening. 13A wasn't even a book when the KS for the expansion was going on, and now it's a real thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So now that it's looking like 13th Age/the Archmage Engine is a success, how long will it be until we get the Star Frontiers-esque sci-fi game "31st Age"?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

moths posted:

It's this rambling in-character (?) essay about why Robin Laws is selling copies of the book you've already paid for at Gencon instead of mailing them to you. It's embarrassing to read, and there was a kerfuffle in the KS thread when it went down, but the tl;dr of it is to be direct and treat your backers respectfully. Backers want a project to succeed and to be the best project. If that means short-term disappointment for a better end product, do that. If that means oh no our ~exclusive~ playtest isn't closed? Well that's fine too. But be direct and honest about why it's happening. 13A wasn't even a book when the KS for the expansion was going on, and now it's a real thing.

I think this passage needs to be quoted because it still makes me cringe uncomfortably knowing that someone actually wrote this.

quote:

With a heaving sigh of relief I am able to announce that our printer will be able to deliver copies of Hillfolk and Blood on the Snow in time for Gen Con. For a project of this scale, the ability to sell copies at Gen Con represents a huge opportunity to recoup costs, one it would really hurt us to miss.

As profound students of the dramatic dynamic, however, we all know that all good news always comes with a little Tightening of the Screws hidden inside it. In this case, an unfortunate timing wrinkle.

Naturally we are not the only project scrambling to make it to Gen Con. Our shippers are swamped at this time of year. This means a short gap between Gen Con sales and shipment of books to Kickstarter backers. Our pessimistic ship date for these copies is the second week of September.

Kickstarter backers understandably want to be the first to get their goodies, ahead of everyone else. What true raider of the arid badlands would have it any other way? How dare the petty striplings of the Flat Plains Clan seize what is yours by right?

Hear me, Backer Clan! In pursuit of ultimate victory, I must plead for your heroic forbearance! I am hoping your access to the PDFs, and hence all the content of the game, will soothe your entirely understandable lust for content as we wait our turn in the shipping queue.

The alternative would be to sit on the books and not send them to Gen Con, simply to preserve your sense of warrior prerogative. But you do not need that! You are no weak and sedentary northlanders, puffed up by meaningless privilege!

And besides, you’re getting a much better price on the books than the unfortunate shepherds-come-lately who missed the campaign. We trust that this bracing jolt of schadenfreude will compensate for any brief jump they may get on you in laying paws on the physical books.

Don't do this. I would have been okay with delaying KS fulfillment if you had treated me in a professional and courteous manner. What you don't need to do is take a "light-hearted" tone that...god, I can't even describe it without just shaking my head in embarassment. Be professionals, not the embodiment of nerd stereotypes that make us all ashamed to be part of this hobby.

On the topic at hand, as a backer of 13 True Ways, I am okay with sending out playtest materials. The more eyes on it, the more feedback you can get, and the better the final product will come out (theoretically).

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

On the topic at hand, as a backer of 13 True Ways, I am okay with sending out playtest materials. The more eyes on it, the more feedback you can get, and the better the final product will come out (theoretically).

Especially given how feedback to things like the escalation Edition of 13th Age has been addressed via places like this very thread, I have to agree (also as a backer of 13 True Ways).

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I backed 13 True Ways and am very much cool with giving the same stuff to pre-order customers.

While it would have been nice if they contributed to the Kickstarter project to reach some higher stretch goals, not everyone hears about it in time or has available funds when they need it to contribute. I've missed out on a number of crowdfunding efforts for both of these reasons and, thankfully, a couple of those projects offered a way to pledge after the campaign ended via PayPal or whatever and then emailed the backer-only updates out to those who took advantage.

As long as myself and other backers get what they paid for, then that's all that matters in the end. If anyone complains that someone else gets theirs at the same time as them, then they're an unreasonable jerk and not worth worrying about. People pledged because they wanted to see it happen and should therefore wish the project great success. Everybody benefits from more eyeballs and happy people experiencing it.

I apologise for the long and rant-ish reply.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Why can't KS backers just get it first.

Right when its ready release it to the KS supporters. When preorders go up give it to them to. KS get it a few weeks or maybe a month early but hey, there it is.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

GrandpaPants posted:

I think this passage needs to be quoted because it still makes me cringe uncomfortably knowing that someone actually wrote this.

Don't do this. I would have been okay with delaying KS fulfillment if you had treated me in a professional and courteous manner. What you don't need to do is take a "light-hearted" tone that...god, I can't even describe it without just shaking my head in embarassment. Be professionals, not the embodiment of nerd stereotypes that make us all ashamed to be part of this hobby.

Or be like most of his other updates, which were written in much the same tone/character. Its just Robin Laws being Robin Laws, he's not trying to embarrass you by proxy to hide a drastic failure to get the books to backers first.

On the topic at hand, I don't mind if people get a playtest version as a preorder person rather than making them backer only. But yes, maybe space the release out a week or two to give it some exclusivity.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
As a pre-orderer of 13th Age and a 13 True Ways backer both, I don't have a problem if the beta/playtest/draft is available to those who missed the first round but still wanted to show early support. The way it was handled for people who missed the Escalation Edition of 13A but participated in the 13TW project and wanted a core book seems to have set a precedent here anyhow. Copies of the draft/playtest of the core book were sent out, I believe, to those who pledged above a certain level. It's technically not the same thing but it does kind of sit in a similar place.

Anyhow, probably a good thing for more eyes to be on it.

I do agree with the comments about the Hillfolk announcement. I backed that as well and I didn't care for the way the announcement was put together.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The thing with that Hillfolk announcement is that if he'd plainly said "Backers, I can't show up to Gencon empty-handed because that's industry suicide" nobody would have batted an eye. Your backers want you to succeed. They've already demonstrated that they're willing to give you their money and patience to make a great game, and if anyone will be understanding and supportive in the face of scheduling tweaks, it will be your backers. Level with them, and treat them like insiders because they got you this far.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Welp, played Deathless Gulch at Gencon, walked out of the dealer's hall with the book an hour later. This system is pretty good guys!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

waderockett posted:

But unlike 13th Age, 13 True Ways is a Kickstarter. So, should only Kickstarter backers get a draft-in-progress? Or should backers and pre-order customers both get drafts? We never promised that exclusivity to backers and I think people will be more likely to pre-order if they get content right away. But I'm pretty sure at least some backers would be prickly about that.
Thoughts?

Absolutely give pre-order customers access to the drafts. How could encouraging more people to support 13th Age's growth be anything but a positive thing?

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

OmniDesol posted:

Absolutely give pre-order customers access to the drafts. How could encouraging more people to support 13th Age's growth be anything but a positive thing?

moths posted:

Your backers want you to succeed. They've already demonstrated that they're willing to give you their money and patience to make a great game, and if anyone will be understanding and supportive in the face of scheduling tweaks, it will be your backers. Level with them, and treat them like insiders because they got you this far.

Cool. That's what I think too, and I appreciate all the input.

Mad Fnorder posted:

Welp, played Deathless Gulch at Gencon, walked out of the dealer's hall with the book an hour later. This system is pretty good guys!

Neat. How did the adventure go? I'm going to revise it based on the feedback I got from GMs, and would love to hear some players' perspectives.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Amazing customer service -- my book was damaged as a result of my own carelessness, I got a discounted replacement. Didn't need to do it, did, won my loyalty!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I know Drakkenhall is getting it's own setting ... but how are people incorporating it into their games?

At this point, in my game, the Blue is trying to push against the High Druid for some unnamed nefarious scheme ... and I want the end game to eventually travel to Drakkenhall.

Do you feel it's a town that PCs should never go into unless you're going in for a battle, or is it something akin to Candyland in Django, where the potential to casually stroll into the lion's den is a possibility?

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer
In my game it's still sort of nebulous. I started out running Blood and Lightning and one of the PCs unexpectedly ended up allying with the traitor. He ran off to Santa Cora and is preparing to deliver the magic weapon to Drakkenhall with the help of the party, most of whom think the traitor is a spy for the empire.

I haven't put much time into prepping the city itself, but it's considered mostly part of the empire, with the Blue playing nice as long as it's advantageous. The party will probably end up going there at level 4, so I doubt they'll end up meeting the Blue. I'll probably fill the city with weaker dragons and other smart monsters. It sounds like the Blue is way more aggressive in your game, so how you present the city definitely depends on the group

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Is there a good list of all the free/homebrewed stuff that has been made for 13th Age? I know about the conversion of the Midgard setting's major NPCs into icons on Kobold Press but nothing other than that.

As a quick followup https://www.13thage.org is where we're trying to get folks to throw up their homebrew / links to their homebrew stuff.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Ketzal posted:

In my game it's still sort of nebulous. I started out running Blood and Lightning and one of the PCs unexpectedly ended up allying with the traitor. He ran off to Santa Cora and is preparing to deliver the magic weapon to Drakkenhall with the help of the party, most of whom think the traitor is a spy for the empire.

I haven't put much time into prepping the city itself, but it's considered mostly part of the empire, with the Blue playing nice as long as it's advantageous. The party will probably end up going there at level 4, so I doubt they'll end up meeting the Blue. I'll probably fill the city with weaker dragons and other smart monsters. It sounds like the Blue is way more aggressive in your game, so how you present the city definitely depends on the group

Yeah, the Blue is starting a campaign, which looks like to be trying to do something to Glitterhagen. At this point, she's setting up forces in the Bitterwood (to get my group some combat experience and to level a bit) and I haven't gotten too deep into what is happening.

Essentially, they stopped a plot by the Blue, and they're on her radar. I'm treating it sort of episodic at this point, til I figure out the end game.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Bombadilillo posted:

Why can't KS backers just get it first.

Right when its ready release it to the KS supporters. When preorders go up give it to them to. KS get it a few weeks or maybe a month early but hey, there it is.

I think that's probably a good compromise.

Personally, I am a backer in the "couldn't care less" camp: I want the project to be the best it can be, and the playtesting pool you've drawn on for the core book has clearly done a great job, I can't imagine limiting the pool for the expansion for a long time to be a good idea. . . .

Anything that gets people giving you guys money is fine by me: means more excellent products down the line!

FutureVillainBand
Feb 21, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought that whole missive links back to the Kickstarter "feud" between the various clans running through various KS updates. When you opted in, you backed one of the clans. A lot of the Kickstarter updates had that tone, so it didn't bother me when I saw it in the follow-up.

In addition, it's not like they're selling our copies at GenCon -- they're just saying that due to timing and shipping, pre-orders and KS copies are going to be received later than those purchased at the con. They made allowances for this -- I picked up my KS copy at the con, after all. I'd rather the game be available at GenCon and make some sales and thus create a demand for supplements than worry about whether I get my copy a week from now or whatever. (For the record, I got my Hillfolk KS copies at the con, but didn't do that with Esoterrorists 2, and again, two weeks isn't going to kill me, especially since I have had the pdfs for weeks.)

Sorry, I don't see this as too terribly big a deal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I got my book today, I love this book. It's gigantic and full of awesome pictures and rules materials. I could just sit around with a bag of snacks and read this poo poo all day.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The White Dragon posted:

I got my book today, I love this book. It's gigantic and full of awesome pictures and rules materials. I could just sit around with a bag of snacks and read this poo poo all day.

I also just got this book today. I'm seriously lamenting the fact that I have a social life right now because I want to just sit at home and read this freaking thing instead of hanging out with my friends.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yay the replacement for my damaged copy arrived today!

It's even more damaged! :toot:

I feel really bad for poor Pelgrane on this one somehow...unless they tell me no more, in which case I feel bad for me.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

Yay the replacement for my damaged copy arrived today!

It's even more damaged! :toot:

I feel really bad for poor Pelgrane on this one somehow...unless they tell me no more, in which case I feel bad for me.

Where the hell do you live, the moon? My book came in a very large box with a lot of extra protection in it; I couldn't imagine the book being damaged short of running the whole box over with a truck.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Worse: Canada.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
At this point you are just sating our curiosities too much for you to not give us some pics.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

That's the first damaged book. Having trouble uploading the shots of the second one.

The second set of photos is the second book. It's lovely photos because I moved like a week ago, and the camera is packed so I had to use the cellphone.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 24, 2013

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Are specific incremental advances one-time only? Or is it per level? Like if I get an advance at level 1 and increase my HP. At level 3 I get another advance. Can I choose to increase HP?

Blood and Thunder gives 2 advances and a level in a short span of time. It made me think that your advances could be "wasted" if you level quickly afterward and you could never pick those increments again.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You get one incremental advance every session; it's just picking a benefit from the next level early. You can take the same ones each level.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

PublicOpinion posted:

You get one incremental advance every session; it's just picking a benefit from the next level early. You can take the same ones each level.

What? The book says you can only pick the Advances once. But now that I think about it...why would I give my players an advance after every session? They'd have all the advances by the time they're level 3!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Doublehex posted:

What? The book says you can only pick the Advances once. But now that I think about it...why would I give my players an advance after every session? They'd have all the advances by the time they're level 3!
You can't pick certain advances until you hit specific levels.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Doublehex posted:

Yeah, you can only pick the advances once per level. I don't have my book on me but I believe it also doesn't necessarily say you give them out once per session. You give them out once per session if the PCs have been particularly awesome.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, you can only pick the advances once per level. I don't have my book on me but I believe it also doesn't necessarily say you give them out once per session. You give them out once per session if the PCs have been particularly awesome.
This is correct, advances are an end-of-session reward for good roleplaying.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Doublehex posted:

Even if you were handing them out on that schedule you don't run out because they reset at every level. It's advance as in salary, not as in progress. You're just getting a piece of the next level early.

So if you take the HP advance at level 1 then when you hit level 2 you don't get any more HP because you already have your level 2 HP, but now you could get your level 3 HP as an advance.

• Locked thread