Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Nostalgia Chick is posting a new set of videos, this time focusing on 90s adaptations of old TV shows. First up The Adams Family

Edit: Wasn't there a MST3K Skit where they say that the Adams Family and The Munsters were the only "Normal" TV Family in the 50s and the 60s?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Blip.tv has been sold to PewDiePie's agent.

BRB, going to go dub me screaming "RAPE!!!" over all my videos.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

echopapa posted:

Blip.tv has been sold to PewDiePie's agent.

BRB, going to go dub me screaming "RAPE!!!" over all my videos.

Uhhh...this might need to be explained me. :confused:

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

BigRed0427 posted:

Uhhh...this might need to be explained me. :confused:

This and this are pretty much all the explanation you'll need.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

BigRed0427 posted:

The Nostalgia Chick is posting a new set of videos, this time focusing on 90s adaptations of old TV shows. First up The Adams Family

Weird timing on this - I actually just started watching the 60s series recently and was kind of floored by how out of the norm it was for its era.

I never saw the film's sequel, but I seem to recall hearing it was funnier than the first film. I'll be interested to see if she's going to hit up on any of the other "classic TV shows turned into movies" films though. Technically, she already did Wild Wild West (though that wasn't a sitcom.)

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Trash Boat posted:

The nice thing about the former link is that, unlike the latter, they don't feel it necessary to call him a human being in order to be "funny".

I love it when the anti-fanbases are just as obnoxious as the actual fanbase to begin with.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Trash Boat posted:

I think he was referring to the "blip.tv being sold to his agent" thing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Rebochan posted:

Weird timing on this - I actually just started watching the 60s series recently and was kind of floored by how out of the norm it was for its era.

I never saw the film's sequel, but I seem to recall hearing it was funnier than the first film. I'll be interested to see if she's going to hit up on any of the other "classic TV shows turned into movies" films though. Technically, she already did Wild Wild West (though that wasn't a sitcom.)

It still was kind of out of the norm until recently. A lot of family sitcoms still rely on the stupid but in charge husband-largely ignored but bossy wife dynamic. The last one I can think of that did this was According to Jim. The only difference is that they acknowledge their sex life. Maybe Mike and Molly, but that's more about a married couple just starting out. I don't keep up with TV so maybe someone else can give better examples.

Does the old Adams Family TV show still hold up? I kind of want to watch it now.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 22, 2013

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Why would anyone want to invest in Blip? As I understand it that site has never turned a profit and most of the content creators (at least most of the content creators that people watch) that use it only upload their stuff to Blip because it would be taken down for violating copyright law if they put it up on YouTube. Blip, to me, seems like a site that's doomed to fail in the near future.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Guess I'm the only one who watched Nostalgia Critic's Les Miserables review, eh? It was pretty good stuff. I'm glad he paired with Paw and Oancitizen, as both know what they're talking about when it comes to music and theatrical/artsy stuff. All three combined to give a pretty balanced view on the film. The musical bits were pretty solid, and Linkara's part in particular had me in stitches. I wish Oan would sing more. Between this episode and the occasions when he's sung in his own series, the man can really carry a tune.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm watching it now. It's great. Loved Brentalfloss's part. Also, I mostly liked the musical, though I did spend about a week and a half laughing about Javert's head cold afterwards.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

ApeHawk posted:

I think he was referring to the "blip.tv being sold to his agent" thing.

Story here. It's Maker Studios, who also run a whole bunch of other Youtube channels.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

echopapa posted:

Story here. It's Maker Studios, who also run a whole bunch of other Youtube channels.

From that article : "Many major networks and creators have spoken out against YouTube’s revenue-sharing model. Creators typically take 55 percent of the cut of revenue from ads on their videos, while YouTube owner Google keeps the rest."

Uhm... Blip takes an even 50% at the moment, more than Youtube, so could this mean Blip producers could get a larger cut under our new overlords? (Assuming they're keeping all Blip producers, now that the Blip culling of producers seems to be in its final stages.) Cause that would be spiffy.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Senerio posted:

I'm watching it now. It's great. Loved Brentalfloss's part. Also, I mostly liked the musical, though I did spend about a week and a half laughing about Javert's head cold afterwards.

Yeah, that was a pretty fun review. Those musical ones always have a lot of effort put into them.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

echopapa posted:

Holy poo poo that's an awful idea! I like how they truly think that people in mass will go to Blip in order to see their favorite e-celebrities rather than forget about them move onto the next Z-list YouTube celebrity.

As brought up earlier Blip was never a super successful website and is estimated to worth about $512,771 dollars. To give some perspective, Dailymotion is apparently worth $29.4 million dollars, Vimeo is worth $17.1 million dollars, Veoh is worth $990,136, and Viddler is worth $969,416 dollars. Yes even loving Viddler is worth more than Blip. So even if content creators do get a bigger cut of revenue from Blip than YouTube they will still get less money due to the fact that YouTube is a much more profitable site than Blip.

I wonder what Maker Studios are going to do with the creators because it was clear that the previous owners of Blip played favorites with Channel Awesome personalities since they were essentially the most popular and profitable shows on the site. Blip has other shows that are not reviews but they are all pretty much poo poo and no one knows of there existence. Just look at some of the typical non-review programs that are on this site.

Blip theater: http://chipandironicus.com/videos/blip/

With the YouTube superstars moving in I wonder if Blip is going to continue to support the channel awesome brand or will Maker Studios push them to the side in order to market their own properties.

Another part of what makes this purchase interesting is that Blip got a lot of money from several venture capitalist firms, which are Bain Capital Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Ambient Sound Investments. That was several years ago and I wonder how the change of leadership would effect the politics of Blip. There is a chance that Maker Studios could gently caress up this venture which would lead to these investors cannibalizing Blip in order to make up for their losses. This is a legitimate possibility since Maker Studios and their content producers have a history unprofessionalism as seen in the Ray William Johnson dispute.

In short buying Blip is a bad idea and will result in financial lost and humiliation. It was never a secret that Blip over the years was losing viewers and advertisers. Hell, they even have an official YouTube channel where they put videos made by their internet critic breadwinners in order to get extra revenue. When a company uses their competition's services that's a bad sign.

The League of Super Critics: http://www.youtube.com/user/LeagueOfSuperCritics

This change in management could possibly lead to Blip to finally collapse in on itself.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 22, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Increased traffic to blip could also lead to them being forced to adopt the rules that made the CA folks leave youtube in the first place as well.

This is something that could kill Channel Awesome itself.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

Why would anyone want to invest in Blip? As I understand it that site has never turned a profit and most of the content creators (at least most of the content creators that people watch) that use it only upload their stuff to Blip because it would be taken down for violating copyright law if they put it up on YouTube. Blip, to me, seems like a site that's doomed to fail in the near future.

My guess is they want to find a way to make it turn a profit. They see that there's definitely an audience for material that Blip uploaders provide, it's simply getting that monetized successfully that's a challenge.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

LateToTheParty posted:

As brought up earlier Blip was never a super successful website and is estimated to worth about $512,771 dollars. To give some perspective, Dailymotion is apparently worth $29.4 million dollars, Vimeo is worth $17.1 million dollars, Veoh is worth $990,136, and Viddler is worth $969,416 dollars. Yes even loving Viddler is worth more than Blip. So even if content creators do get a bigger cut of revenue from Blip than YouTube they will still get less money due to the fact that YouTube is a much more profitable site than Blip.

Just out of curiosity, where are these strangely precise estimated values coming from? It's unusual for anyone to estimate the value of a company down to the dollar, to say the least.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

OrangeKing posted:

Just out of curiosity, where are these strangely precise estimated values coming from?

I checked it out on Freewebsitereport.org. The website seems legit and thorough with its calculations for the most part. The actual values of those website are most likely not the same as the estimated values from Freewebsitereport.org but the values should at least be somewhere in that ballpark.

Link: http://www.freewebsitereport.org/

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

LateToTheParty posted:

I checked it out on Freewebsitereport.org. The website seems legit and thorough with its calculations for the most part. The actual values of those website are most likely not the same as the estimated values from Freewebsitereport.org but the values should at least be somewhere in that ballpark.

Link: http://www.freewebsitereport.org/

I'm not so sure that site has accurate information. For instance, it says it valuates websites based on traffic and ad revenue only, which gives a pretty limited picture of a site's worth; even within that limitation, the site estimates that Blip takes in $702 in ad revenue a day. I know little about the internal workings of Blip, but I would still feel pretty confident saying that this must be off by an order of magnitude, as that would only be a little over $250k per year, and if half of that goes to content creators, it would mean that they all make about $128k a year...combined. I know there are relatively few people who post videos on Blip as their full time job, but still, that number is impossibly low (or so I imagine).

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

In which I talk little about The Angels Take Manhattan and mostly about Doctor Who as a whole.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 21, 2014

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I stopped watching the vlogs long ago, but I thought the love triangle was fine and the hate was overrated. Actually, most of the LoK hate was overrated, and especially the childish Mako hate (msotly from people incapable of understanding character complexity if it isn't Zuko, who would just flat out tell you how complex he was). I just decided the farthest I get away from that fandom, the happier I am. And that includes vlogs on it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Korra had horrible pacing issues and stuck on thing that should have been secondary. It was a completely mediocre show where the high highs and the rock bottom lows cancelled each other out. Mako, to his credit, does do the absolute perfect impression of a block of wood, so there's that. The soundtrack and animation can only carry things so far. I found the morals and message of the show to be completely deplorable. This show is why I'm completely indifferent towards Book 2. I see the potential but I doubt the execution.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Akett posted:

Huh, new One Hit Wonderland.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-to-be-with-you-by-mr-big-6631546

I find it funny how right he was about not ever hearing the song if you weren't cognizant at the time, and the huge list of hair bands that formed the year I was born is just hilarious to me for some reason. I don't think I'd heard of hair metal until I was a teenager, that's how dead it got in the 90's.

The funniest thing was how precise about it he was. Not only had I barely heard the song before, but I had only heard it on that drat MONSTER BALLADS commercial.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
The TGWTG Charity drive is going on right now.
http://www.justin.tv/channel_awesome_charity#/w/6605957184
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/

Pretty fun so far.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jimbot posted:

Korra had horrible pacing issues and stuck on thing that should have been secondary. It was a completely mediocre show where the high highs and the rock bottom lows cancelled each other out. Mako, to his credit, does do the absolute perfect impression of a block of wood, so there's that. The soundtrack and animation can only carry things so far. I found the morals and message of the show to be completely deplorable. This show is why I'm completely indifferent towards Book 2. I see the potential but I doubt the execution.

My favorite part of the moral was that it did show that the people without magic powers were actually being treated like poo poo but then never did anything to address it because the main bad guy blew up and that solved everything somehow.

Korra was decent but it suffered from that whole 'it started as a mini one shot and got expanded into a show' thing. I hope that the next season is better but I don't have a ton of hype for it.

Honestly if it was just Korra being a big meathead and Asami being Lady Batman just hanging out and lady-broing out while punching jerks it'd be kinda awesome.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Korra was actually planned to have its first season plot stretched over multiple seasons. Instead they rushed it because they didn't think there'd be more than one which caused a lot of its issues.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Huh, I never realized justin.tv has viewer caps per country. Coming from regular twitch.tv use that seems a spectacularly stupid move to make. Ah well, at least what little I did catch seemed pretty drat boring, so I'm not missing much.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Mokinokaro posted:

Korra was actually planned to have its first season plot stretched over multiple seasons. Instead they rushed it because they didn't think there'd be more than one which caused a lot of its issues.

Nickolodeon also tried to cancel it mid-production because they were still being derpy about the protagonist being female. Goodness knows that wouldn't help.

As for the rest, :suicide: <--- me vs. Korra haters

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The main complaint I saw in the goon thread about Korra was the comically overpowered villain.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mokinokaro posted:

That and wasn't Nick upset that they thought only older people would watch Korra so they couldn't make tons of money off selling toys to kids? Same thing happened to Symbiotic Titan which you'd think would sell a lot of toys being a giant robot cartoon, but nope they put that show on a dumb timeslot, just like Samurai Jack, JLU, and Young Justice. drat it CN! :argh:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Nick has been...comically stupid about everything Avatar related.

Tae posted:

The main complaint I saw in the goon thread about Korra was the comically overpowered villain.

Oh, glad I dodged that thread then. Sounds like it was overrun by the social justice tumblr brigade.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Now, gonna make this on topic. Caught up to FilmBrain's last two Happy Madison reviews. Obviously the Jack and Jill review cannot possibly compare to RedLetterMedia's bluntly cynical deconstruction, though I did enjoy his comparisons of Just Go With It to its source material in Cactus Flower. FilmBrain is clearly a stronger person than me for being able to watch so many of these back to back. I had a brief window in my life between 14 and 15 that this Sandler seemed absolutely hilarious..which I suspect is true for most people and might be why these movies keep getting made.

...but dude, seriously, I know Sandler has children, so why are his child characters so alien!? It's like they've never met a child before.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Take what you've read here about Korra's production with a grain of salt. I've now read about 5 completely different accounts on these forums of what the show's length was initially supposed to be. The version I remember reading before Season 1 premiered that the show was only ever meant to be a 12 episode mini-series from the beginning, then somewhere during season 1's initial run it was announced that Nickelordeon had green lit Korra for 3 additional seasons but it happened internally towards the end of Season 1's production thus the reason for all of the pacing problems (they thought they only had 1 season in which to wrap everything up neatly at the end, so that's what they did).

Recently someone in the Korra thread said that the account that I just wrote is apparently only unique to SA and that you won't find that anywhere else on the internet. So who loving knows what really happened :psyduck:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rebochan posted:

I had a brief window in my life between 14 and 15 that this Sandler seemed absolutely hilarious..which I suspect is true for most people and might be why these movies keep getting made.

...but dude, seriously, I know Sandler has children, so why are his child characters so alien!? It's like they've never met a child before.

Part of the problem I think is that Sandler simply is too old to do this sort of movie now. You can see all of his characters are written like they were 20-something goofballs even at his age.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

During the show's run, yes. The main complaints after the show ended was the rushed ending and complete lack of badly needed character development for everyone not named Asami.

beep by grandpa posted:

Take what you've read here about Korra's production with a grain of salt. I've now read about 5 completely different accounts on these forums of what the show's length was initially supposed to be.

Recently someone in the Korra thread said that the account that I just wrote is apparently only unique to SA and that you won't find that anywhere else on the internet. So who loving knows what really happened :psyduck:

People keep trying to pin the problems of the show on it's production schedule, which is weird since even as far back as the first season of Avatar the show has had production problems and delays every other week or so. I'm of the mindset that the trimming of the writing team from a dozen people working together down to just the two original creators of the show were probably the more likely culprits, particularly since if you break everything down it's really obvious that the writing is where the problems with the show are, everything else about Korra is fantastic and a real step up from Avatar.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Angry Joe now has over one million subscribers on Youtube.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I really can't say anything bad about Joe now since I found out about PewDiePie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm not a fan of Joe but everything I'm not a fan of he does lots more people do way worse so I guess he wins in my mind by just virtue of being the least bad of the type.

• Locked thread