Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Raserys posted:

No, that was all Enkidel. Left it as an exchange for the magic flute.
No, he meant this:

Diogines posted:

Tudiya waves happily to his cheering people as he walks down the street, you and the rest of the band behind him. Keza brings him the basket of pearls, the pearls you collected for many years as a gift to Jalitha, for she found them beautiful and they seemed to make her happy. The same pearls that she took and gave to Tudiya when he approached the village. He now throws handful of the pearls to the crowds of people as he passes, they cheer and catch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You had a necklace of beautifully cut shells and beads that your not-mom made for you. You left that in the strange structure.

You also over years collected a basket of pearls for Jalitha as presents, because while your people do not think of them as valuable, she seemed to like them. She ran with the basket when Tudiya and the others first came to your village and gave them to Tudiya.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Sogol posted:

A-J-K

”we do not know big words for honor King who saved us or to praise El. This song to honor the King and to praise El!"

Then attempt to play the song of our being rescued by Tudiya and see what happens. Put the story as Tudiya told it in music. Say 'Praise El' and bow to Tudiya when the song is finished.

Have we tried dancing in the sandals?

This will give Tudiya a pleasant surprise.

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.
J: FLAUNT the FLUTE.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

A and J seem right.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Throwing one more vote for AJ, as if it needed the help.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
G

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I was closing an old storage space and ran across this, which I had forgotten I had. It is my candidate for the flute before it became disguised as a mundane item.

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

A noisy crowd and a rather large one, certainly many, many, many-lots looks up to hear you. You yell so that your voice can be heard at all. "Tudiya! Goodest king!" You yell out "Slayer of many monsters! Hero of mother! Hero of me! Hero of Zepath!" You yell out, expressing yourself as best as you are able to.

The crowd cheers, pleases by your words. A number of children near the base of the platform you and the rest of your party stand upon are pointing at you and some of them are laughing, though the roar of the crowd.

"Great song to thank great king!" you say and take out the flute. Since you took it from the structure it looks like a fairly ordinary wooden flute. You have had moments in which to practice before, alone and so far no one else has heard you play.

You place the flute to your lips, ready your fingers and blow-

-... the hell! Something or someone is screwing with your flute!

You can FEEL the music still trapped within and yearning to release beautiful sounds into the world, but as you wait for knowledge on how to move your fingers and how to blow through it, it is as if the instructions are muddled and of inferior quality.

You play a few blasts. The music is pretty, but it is not a masterpiece such as you have played upon it before. The tune is not extraordinary.

After a few more blasts, your mother smiles, perhaps slightly embarrassed and pulls you off to the side.

Tudiya walks to the front of the platform and speaks again to the crowd. "In thanksgiving to El for our victory over the cannibals and demons I declare three days and three nights of feasting! May all slaves be idle from their labors to participate and may all maidens taken as brides these three days have their bride prices paid from my household!"

The crowd lets out another cheer, this one the loudest of all so far and they seem rather pleased.

After a short time you, your mother and Danal are lead away by the servant woman Keza as the rest of your band partake in the merrymaking.

You are taken to a structure made of stone, surrounded by small canals and many plants. It is one story tall, perhaps about twelve feet in height? A number of stone men, statues, are among the green. You are lead inside. You are unfamiliar with housing beyond the simple huts of your people and likely unaware that you are in what might be called luxury accommodations, beautifully decorated with frescoes and tapestries hanging upon the walls depicting men and men battling beasts, there are statues in many corridors. The skulls of many monsters seem to be on display as well. There might be twenty or thirty separate rooms to provide for Tudiya, his immediate family and well less than seventy slaves and servants. In another cosmos, such a structure might be called a palace but it is not, it is much smaller, though by the standards of Zepath it is the largest and richest home in the city and is closer a sprawling estate than a palace.

Danal is lead off by a servant and separated from you. Keza leads you and your mother to a room which has no art at all and a small window, it is a bit dark. There is a simple bed, something you have not seen before and a robe hanging on a peg on the wall. You always slept on palm leaves on the floor of your hut, or Jalithas or Jorahs when you stayed at their hut.

"These are your quarters" Keza says to your mother "The King has taken a fancy to your cooking and you shall serve in the kitchens at his pleasure" Keza says in a somewhat stern tone. She spoke very little on your journey and rarely at all to you, but she does not seem to like your mother very much and seems to like you less.

"And... and my son?" Asks your mother, forcing a smile and a cheerful tone. Is something wrong? "He can fish and he has clever fingers and-"

"The King has yet to decide what to do with the child-" says Keza, for on the few occasions she has spoken of you at all, it has been to complain to your mother of minor misconduct on your part during the journey and Keza has simply called you "the child".

"The king has yet to decide what to do with the child. For now he is to serve at Danal's pleasure." Keza looks at you, frowning slightly as she is forced to speak to you. "In Zepath, Tudiya is King but in these walls, as best you are concerned, I am your queen, for I command the household's servants, chattels and slaves. Be mindful of your new master's commands and stay out of trouble. I warned our King you are a wild animal and likely to bite his son but his will shall be obeyed. I promise you, if you lay a finger upon him I will use your hide as a [???]!"

You do not know what word it is she used, but the threat is obvious enough. What may be less obvious is your social standing now. You very probably have no frame of reference to know what a servant or a slave is for such things did not exist in your village and even Jalitha's position there seemed unusual.

But your mother is smiling and has a cheerful tone so all must be well. Indeed, she repeats the promise she said to you many times since you left the village "Everything will be good from now on Sweetling, I promise. Go find Danal and play. I get to make seaweed cakes for the king now, won't that be nice?" She says, giving you a hug.

Keza frowns. "You shall cook what you are ordered to cook. Which... as the King requested them for the festival, shall include seaweed cakes, yes, this way to the Kitchens."

Keza leads your mother away, leaving you in the small, poorly lit room, alone. You put your flute to your lips briefly and again know clear instructions to play a masterful work of art. Whoever or whatever was interfering with your flute is no longer doing so.

You decide to....

A. Go find Danal.

B. Explore the King's home and look for the throne room.

C. Explore the King's home and look for the kitchens, to go help your mother.

D. Explore the King's home and look for where weapons and armor is stored!

E. Leave the King's home and explore the city.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'm thinking A. We may technically be Danal's servant, but that means very different things across different times and cultures. Danal sees us as a friend, and it's likely that we can be a treasured adviser and wield real power. In fact, I'd not be entirely surprised if Barkof or another of Tudiyah's followers held/hold a similar position.

I'm worried that our magic flute won't be useful where others can hear it, though our mom being embarrassed is silly. It wasn't the transcendent music we typically play, but it was still perfectly fine. Particularly for a child :colbert:

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
Yep A

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
A

Side question: can we suppress the knowledge we get from the flute and try to get better at it?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Mere physical contact with the flute seems to give the knowledge of how to play masterful pieces of art. When you stop touching it, the knowledge leaves your mind.

If you wanted to get actually good with a flute on your own, it would be as simple as placing it down and practicing with another one.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hm, alluva sudden I'm not too crazy about our future prospects.

I'm going to vote A, if only to see if Danal is going to start treating us like a chump.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

If you wanted to get actually good with a flute on your own, it would be as simple as placing it down and practicing with another one.

Voting A and ask Danal if we can use one of his flutes. I want to get better at playing the flute. We have masterpieces in our head that the people must hear!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

A Also, now that we're in the city and the walls have ears, we should make a special effort to keep talking to Danal in our native tongue so his fluency improves (and ours maintains). It will allow us some degree of privacy, which seems like it will be fairly vital if Keza is ruling the roost.

Kinda glad the flute didn't work out...seems to show, perhaps, that the flute isn't malevolent. Or at least not malevolent enough to use us to enchant a bunch of people or other BS. I think it will definitely come in handy later, when the time is right.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Voting A, and I would like to practice with a flute if we have time, I think it'd be fun :).

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I just burned through this throughout the weekend at work. This feels like the part in the story where things can potentially split into many different options.

For now though, I'll choose A. Danal can show us around!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I wonder what caused the flute to cease functioning like normal. This is nothing more than speculation, but those works of art were probably made by an angel or other servant of El. Maybe they were even specifically made for him, in which case the original creator of the flute is still keeping an eye on it to make sure the songs that come from it are all in praise of El and nobody else. When we dedicated the piece to Tudiya it might have offended the flute's maker, causing him to intervene.

We will probably find out the mechanics behind our instrument sooner or later and I have no intention of dragging down the game's pace with needless experimentation, but I think we can learn a lot from one simple test. To test the (wild and completely unsupported) theory, Enkidel should perform two songs. The first one is in dedication of El, and the second should be dedicated to some random other person. (I suggest Keza, just to piss her off). Regardless of which songs get blocked, I think the results will be interesting.

Alternate theory: the flute isn't licensed to play songs in Zepath.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Zybourne Clock posted:

Alternate theory: the flute isn't licensed to play songs in Zepath.

Or that we aren't allowed to use it for personal gain/glory. Remember that we tried playing it in front of the entire city - while the song was dedicated to Tudiyah we would have been viewed as a master musician.

On that note voting A

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
Voting A

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Question: When you say our attempt to play the flute in front of the city still came out "pretty", is that Pretty as a general consensus? Or pretty as in that's our/Enkidel's opinion?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Maybe the flute doesn't play for vain kings who lie. There are plenty of reasons a flute would not play a masterpiece.

edit: I figured it out. The angel statue had a mind of its own, and so does our flute. Unfortunately, our flute has a shy personality and has never been in front of a large audience. Our flute just stammered on our debut.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 26, 2013

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
Wonderful, we come to magical civilized land like you all wanted only to be made a servant. Considering our dad was iced, we would probably have done better staying in our village.

Voting A. Go talk to our only friend and teach him more of our heathen cannibal language or something.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Maybe if the flute knows what's good for it it'll start playing nice and we won't be forced to smash it into small pieces and use it for kindling. If you get my drift fluty. We can practice in the downtime with the mechanics of it.

Lets go find Danal and improve our language skills, and also we should encourage him to practice fighting with weapons, and of course we'll be training with him.

Sandals and whistles are nice, now lets go murder things. Speaking of which Keza better watch herself, lest we go native on her.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Since we chose to keep our adventures a secret, Danal is the only one who thinks we have the potential to be more than a savage pearl diver. Try to sell him on using our native language as a "secret language" just between the two of us. It will help keep us fluent, and might come in handy when we grow up. Plus it is a fun thing for kids to do.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Angela Christine posted:

A Since we chose to keep our adventures a secret, Danal is the only one who thinks we have the potential to be more than a savage pearl diver. Try to sell him on using our native language as a "secret language" just between the two of us. It will help keep us fluent, and might come in handy when we grow up. Plus it is a fun thing for kids to do.

Yeah throwing my vote behind this. Also we should definitely find a spare flute and practice on it. Perhaps the knowledge will stick around longer if we have some basic mechanics to build on.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I just hope Danal doesn't 180 into a little shithead on us now that he's home.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angela Christine posted:

Sure, why not, this.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

I'm gonna go against the crowd here and suggest another option, to try and track down Tudiya (option B?) for a private flute performance. It's great that Danal knows we aren't just an idiot savage, but if anyone else suspects that, it's the king, and maybe its time to come clean about some of the events of our journey so he gives us a little more respect and consideration.

I'm worried that if we just play to tropes or do the obvious little kid things for too long, we're going to end up as nothing but the sidekick in this adventure. If we don't establish fairly soon that we are a clever person, we're always going to be thought of as Endiku 2.0

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I like the rationale going on for A, but I'm going for E. We've been wandering all over the place anyway, what's a bit further? The city is so new and bewildering, we want to get a closer look at it. Just to the edge of the compound or something, we won't mean to go any further, just to where we can get a good look....

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Good work, guys. We could have been sailing the ocean with Asherah, the hungry god, but now we're a prince's slave. At least we have our fancy flute that we can play for him.

E

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Angela Christine posted:

I feel precisely the same way.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

I like that plan

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Good work, guys. We could have been sailing the ocean with Asherah, the hungry god, but now we're a prince's slave. At least we have our fancy flute that we can play for him.

More like sailing the ocean inside The One Who Hungers.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I notice it is not an option, but we might go looking for Ishamal. We could ask him why the king lied about the journey. (Governing rather than vanity?). If we are going to spend some time serving anyone a combo of Ishamal Danal might not be too bad, rather than say falling into the hands of an abusive stable master we end up having to kill or something. Ishamal would be an excellent teacher. Does he have family? Is his time in the city always full of duties and such? Can he read? Maybe he is Danal's teacher already?

Better to have the flute fail this way, than something like the bow failing when faced with a rampaging boar I guess. Since we have played it again, the block does not seem to come from the city itself. Maybe the King's story telling was already a kind of 'spell'? Maybe we just had stage fright or something? I would still like to expirement with focusing our attention on something in particular while playing the flute. For instance, maybe before we go looking for Danal, Ishamal or whoever we could firmly turn all our faculties of attention and memory to ones them, play and at the very least see what music comes out, if it is the same every time we do that, etc.

Nothing wrong with the narrative of a servant that gains freedom. We have a precedent of protector established. We have acted to protect Danal and our mother at different times (successfully or not). We also might actually miss the sea and want to see it. It was interesting to note that the Zepathian name for Asherah is Asharak, meaning he is a known demon. To date our greatest accomplishments are resisting the inexorable and infinite hunger of Asherah/Asharak to the extent we did, and the excercise of will to continue our death march in the face of bodily failure. We seem to be capable of bravery (foolishness), a kind of honor (protector), and interestingly did not simply succumb to outright, unbridled avarice when faced with a room full of treasures.

Sort of might not matter exactly who we search for functionally since we are probably going to get massively lost in a giant unfamiliar city almost immediately.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

the_steve posted:

Question: When you say our attempt to play the flute in front of the city still came out "pretty", is that Pretty as a general consensus? Or pretty as in that's our/Enkidel's opinion?

The music was nice, but nothing "special". Your own opinion.

You leave your mothers room to find Danal.

As you walk through the hallways, tapestries of heroes slaying beasts of many sorts look down upon you, you hear Danal laughing and follow it to it's source.

After a short time, you find Danal's room. It is large, about fifty feet on a side, square with a large bed and a doorway which goes into a large outdoor penned off area with a dozen wooden huts about four feet tall within.

Danal is being attacked by monsters! At this very moment he is rolling on the floor with several wolves as dozens other smaller wolves excitedly chew on him, yip and wag their tails.

You do not see any blood-

As you rush over to save Danal from being mauled, a swarm of small wolves rush at you and knock you to your back. As you flail, your throat exposed, they begin to taste you.

Your throat is exposed. Any moment they will rip it out. You are defeated. This... this is the end.

Wait.

They do not seem to be actually BITING you and they have not drawn blood yet either and they are kind of cute...

These must be dogs. You have never seen a dog or even a wolf when you lived in the village, though you did see a few wolves during the journey here. Danal told you about his dogs, at length. They are rather cute and they seem friendly enough. After a time both you and Danal are able to escape your fuzzy captors. Danal is firmly of the opinion that dogs are just about the greatest thing ever and promised to give you one of his when you got home.

"You can live with me now!" Danal says excitedly. "Which doggy do you want?" Danal asks you. He was not kidding about his enthusiasm for the creatures, by the looks of it, the outdoor area connected to his room is his own personal kennel and there are quite a few dogs here, possibly as many as 30 or 40.

You and Danal play with the dogs for a time as you gauge their temperaments. During this time you mostly speak with Danal in your native tongue, as you have decided that it is for the best, for now. Danal needs no convincing and does not even question why, he follows your lead in this regard. After a few hours of canine companionship, you are exhausted.

You pick a...

A. Puppy.
B. A grown dog.

After playing with them, you pick a dog which is...

Sort from most important to least important among these traits:

A. Speed
B. Cuteness
C. Size
D. Intelligence
E. Friendliness

The higher you rank something, the more of that trait it would have, so if size is ranked highest it will be big, if it is ranked last, small and so on.

As to it's name you decide to...

F. Stick with Snarles Barkley as you decided nearly three months ago.

G. Something else. Pick another name.

Danal has a whole bunch of dogs in here and by a strange coincidence one of them may look shockingly like a picture of one you post. If you want to supply a picture, go for it.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 26, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

- -

Snarles Barkley is a SMART drat puppy!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.