Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Since when has the industry has been reasonable with its metrics? :v:

Fair enough. I just want everybody in the whole world to play this game. Everyone. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
I finished SR4 a few days ago at like 30 hours in approximately, 100% done. I loved every minute of it, and laughed more genuinely at this game than any other game I remember. Some get a chuckle out of me, but this one actually was really funny. After playing both SRTT and 4, I have to say that SR4 is a meta-videogame on the level of Metal Gear Solid. It didn't just break the 4th Wall, which is what some games do, believing they're clever, SR4 seemed to be an expression of the developers rectifying basically every criticism and debate the SR community has had over the past few years. They simultaneously retcon whilst acknowledging the tonal disparity between Saints Row 2 and The Third.

Part of me is really disappointed though. Not over anything that the game didn't do or did do. Nah, I loved the experience. I just really miss the hardcore boss from 2, though I don't at all begrudge them for going with puckish rogue boss for 3 and 4. At least they acknowledged it, with Zinyak's constant pestering of the Boss, and the Pierce's audio logs. That boss, deep down, is still the true Boss for me. I do wish that I could have played this game with the SR2 boss, whom everyone followed out of fear and respect. I wanted the Boss to slap around Kenzie for her lip because who the gently caress does this fed hacker girl think she is, kill off Keith David for his betrayal, and beat Asha down for questioning the Boss's beatdown of Matt. "You're outta line!" That entire scene would have been a concentrated, extended gently caress You Say?

Also, I'd really like for SR to go with a more dedicated pisstake of current games stuck up their own asses, not just set-piece parodies. That's why SR2 was so good. It came out after GTA: SA and was competing with GTA4, both games stuck up their own asses with the ludonarrative inconsistency of the Rockstar protagonist. It took the simple premise of "What if there was no stupid morality in our open world crime game like GTA?" Go full hog and satirize, not just parody, Mass Effect. Once earth gets blown up, you grab your homies and go on to the Citadel-like (your free roam area), basically playing out a Mass Effect game as a completely unapologetic psychopath. Everytime you get the false choice of paragon or renegade path, the game just picks renegade for you. You go on a mission of genocide against the Zin before Zinyak's eyes, in a sequence of escalation that makes everyone involved REALLY uncomfortable, just like the Brotherhood missions in SR2.

I want two Saints Row franchises. Sociopath editions and Puckish Rogue editions.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Compared to SR3, that is a huge success.

Which is amazing considering that SR:TT was a huge success in itself:

quote:

On November 2, 2011, THQ CEO Brian Farrell announced that Saints Row: The Third was already the most pre-ordered title of the The Saints Row series. In fact, the game had four times the number of pre-orders Saints Row 2 had two weeks before its launch.[55] THQ estimated the game would ship over 3 million units before the publisher's fiscal year ends in March 2012. By comparison, Saints Row 2 launched in October 2008 and sold 2.6 million by the end of the fiscal year.[56] On January 25, 2012, THQ announced that The Third had shipped 3.8 million units globally and are expecting to ship between five and six million units lifetime on the title.[57] THQ's fourth-quarter financial report showed that Saints Row: The Third shipped over 4 million copies.

Quite the escalation of sales, looks like life imitates art in this case. :v:

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Starhawk64 posted:

Starting over might fix the bug as well. Not an option for some of you I guess but hey, I started over and my weapons seem to be okay for now.

I JUST DID the Alien Vehicle challenge. Like, yesterday. :mad:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Lyer posted:

Which is amazing considering that SR:TT was a huge success in itself:

Quite the escalation of sales, looks like life imitates art in this case. :v:

Yeah, like, I get that some of you guys really really like Saints Row 2 and hey, do what you do, man, but when you're dropping sick burns on 4 beating 3's sales when 3 did as well or possibly even slightly better than 2 in sales from what I've been able to find, well, it starts to look ever so slightly petty.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Remember when everyone said SR4 was just going to be lovely expansion content for SR3 :allears:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

legendsuper posted:

After the ending, there's only 1 thing I'm disappointed in.

Why can't we use Zinyak's head as a bat ?

Additional regret:

Why doesn't Zinyak unlock as a homie? :mad:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

One and the Same posted:

I guess I'm not really surprised, but I'm still really glad to see it be such a huge success. Better odds of there being a Saints Row V. :kiddo:

Better chance of getting SRV and a better chance of Deep Silver continuing to let Volition do whatever the hell they want.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

signalnoise posted:

Remember when everyone said SR4 was just going to be lovely expansion content for SR3 :allears:

Never have been more glad to be wrong.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

lovely expansion content with two lovely expansion contents in the pipes and a lovely soundtrack and sh-lovely superpowers and... and...

God dammit I can't keep it up :qq:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Toffile posted:

Wait, I thought prepatch save files were OK?

They're not?

I think it depends on what/how many weapons you actually had in the save, and if you have any DLC at all then something is almost certainly still broken.

If you mostly just had standard stuff from enemies plus a handful of the easier-to-get special weapons, then with any luck you'll be fine. And there's no danger to just jumping in the game and visiting a Friendly Fire to check, so long as you don't overwrite the save.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
There was never an intention of pettiness in my part. The fact that it's selling more is a good thing. I'm not belittling SR3's successes at all, but the article did say it tripled it.

This isn't a heh look at that, SR3 wasn't that great compared to SR4 :smug: type post. I loved all of SR, yeah even the first one has a place.

I'm just more happy the franchise in general is having a huge success and that they keep on making more Saints Row because Volition knows what they want to do and it isn't just some GTA clone.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Medium Cool posted:

Also, I have a strange bug where Keith David's third audio log plays every time I load up my SR4 save. Has anyone else gotten this?

Yeah I got that bug too. But it's Keith David. I could listen to him all day.

Keith David is actually the reason I even bought this game. He's always been my absolute favorite voice actor ever since Gargoyles, and when they showed his name in the first SR4 trailer I threw my hands in the air and yelled YESSS! If that wasn't there I can't be sure I would have been as excited since I couldn't get into SR2 and never bothered to play SR3. (I did just before playing SR4 though) The aliens and superpowers and stuff looked crazy and fun but Keith loving David, man.

Having him as a main-ish character in this game is my dream come true. I was hoping that he wouldn't just be a background character and my expectations were far surpassed. He is The Best. :allears:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm just gonna straight up say it: Zinyak was awesome and yes, while he did do a *BAD THING* it was also the kind of poo poo SR2 Boss would have pulled if the opportunity presented itself, plus Zinyak was just such a magnificent trolling motherfucker that he'd fit right in. Honestly, the moment he made himself known on a certain homie's mission, I just had to forgive him because he was making me laugh so much.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Zinyak is easily the best antagonist the series has ever had. He more than makes up for Laurent being a total let down on the "smug super-villain" front.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

I'm just gonna straight up say it: Zinyak was awesome and yes, while he did do a *BAD THING* it was also the kind of poo poo SR2 Boss would have pulled if the opportunity presented itself, plus Zinyak was just such a magnificent trolling motherfucker that he'd fit right in. Honestly, the moment he made himself known on a certain homie's mission, I just had to forgive him because he was making me laugh so much.

"ZINYAK YOU LEAVE BIZ MARKIE OUT OF THIS!"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Zinyak hit the same chord Handsome Jack did in Borderlands 2: here is this smart, charismatic leader with clear sadistic undertones and interminable resources at his disposal taking the time out to personally troll you and give you a hard time as you actively seek his upheaval. I think the smart and charisma is what really sells it in both cases.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I would seriously buy a DLC that was just 20 minutes of Zinyak talking about literature.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The more I think back to it, the more I think the final fight with Zinyak should have just been his 12-foot-self (no robot) versus you in power armor as a melee slugfest. I'm not sure how it would have gone down mechanically but it seems like it would flow better than bringing the robot out and shooting missiles everywhere.

The Wall
Jan 3, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Zinyak is easily the best antagonist the series has ever had. He more than makes up for Laurent being a total let down on the "smug super-villain" front.

3 was more about Killbane than it was about Laurent.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Even then Killbane wasn't poo poo. It was more like god I want to shut the annoying wannabe ego wrestler. Zinyak was more of I can't wait to kill this smug bastard.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

WarLocke posted:

The more I think back to it, the more I think the final fight with Zinyak should have just been his 12-foot-self (no robot) versus you in power armor as a melee slugfest. I'm not sure how it would have gone down mechanically but it seems like it would flow better than bringing the robot out and shooting missiles everywhere.

Or go the other direction and parody the ending of MGS 4. Make it a solemn moment with songs from the previous games playing as you enter different phases of the fight.

Really I just want Everybody Wants to Rule the World played again.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

WarLocke posted:

I completely agree, especially because The ending to SRIV was the beginning to SRTT, essentially. You skydive down past a bunch of stuff in order to reach your goal, and I want to say that even the "Be A Badass" goal was somewhere in the intro to SRTT, or something similar? Regardless, you finish this miniature callback to SRTT, and then immediately find yourself in his throne room, where you have another one-liner chat with him.

I feel like it should have been a callback to the first scene in SRIV at that point, where you fistfight Zinyak on the ship and get your poo poo pushed in. I wanted all sorts of QTEs going on, until it became just a mess of button inputs that you couldn't even do, like push in both sticks + use all shoulder buttons + hit only three face buttons + hit a button that doesn't even exist on your controller. Then have the Power Armor glow blue like Zinyak does right before his teleport, have Zinyak put on his best "Oh poo poo" face, and give the best possible button prompt to ever pop up in any QTE, period:

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Additional regret:

Why doesn't Zinyak unlock as a homie? :mad:

I found that baffling. I mean, he does The Worm in the final Soul Train danceoff! Based on the crew's outfits that's back in the simulation and isn't murderous, why isn't he a homie?!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

death .cab for qt posted:

I feel like it should have been a callback to the first scene in SRIV at that point, where you fistfight Zinyak on the ship and get your poo poo pushed in. I wanted all sorts of QTEs going on, until it became just a mess of button inputs that you couldn't even do, like push in both sticks + use all shoulder buttons + hit only three face buttons + hit a button that doesn't even exist on your controller. Then have the Power Armor glow blue like Zinyak does right before his teleport, have Zinyak put on his best "Oh poo poo" face, and give the best possible button prompt to ever pop up in any QTE, period:

Holy poo poo, that would have been amazing. :allears:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 28, 2013

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Captain McStabbin posted:

Or go the other direction and parody the ending of MGS 4. Make it a solemn moment with songs from the previous games playing as you enter different phases of the fight.

Really I just want Everybody Wants to Rule the World played again.

If they spoofed the fistfight between Snake and Ocelot with the Rocky theme it would have been the best boss fight this generation.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

erazure posted:

I found that baffling. I mean, he does The Worm in the final Soul Train danceoff! Based on the crew's outfits that's back in the simulation and isn't murderous, why isn't he a homie?!

He probably can't fit in a car the way Oleg needed a truck to get around, and we all saw what happened to Oleg.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Then give me Zinjai as a homie.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Reiley posted:

He probably can't fit in a car the way Oleg needed a truck to get around, and we all saw what happened to Oleg.

So just make his homie version a scaled-down human-size Zinyak? Idunno, seems like a simple 'fix' even if there's no real explanation.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rhonne posted:

Then give me Zinjai as a homie.

There's a mod that does this (and also adds Oleg and a bunch of characters from 3 and some other ungettable ones in 4). I don't know if he has any audio stuff though?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reiley posted:

What does he need with cars? He can teleport.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I wonder how many of those poor Zin have no names. Names would run out pretty drat fast if all of them had to be Zin-somesthing.

Zinjon? Zinkirk? Zinmatagapaloola?

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

blurry! posted:

I finished SR4 a few days ago at like 30 hours in approximately, 100% done. I loved every minute of it, and laughed more genuinely at this game than any other game I remember. Some get a chuckle out of me, but this one actually was really funny. After playing both SRTT and 4, I have to say that SR4 is a meta-videogame on the level of Metal Gear Solid. It didn't just break the 4th Wall, which is what some games do, believing they're clever, SR4 seemed to be an expression of the developers rectifying basically every criticism and debate the SR community has had over the past few years. They simultaneously retcon whilst acknowledging the tonal disparity between Saints Row 2 and The Third.

Part of me is really disappointed though. Not over anything that the game didn't do or did do. Nah, I loved the experience. I just really miss the hardcore boss from 2, though I don't at all begrudge them for going with puckish rogue boss for 3 and 4. At least they acknowledged it, with Zinyak's constant pestering of the Boss, and the Pierce's audio logs. That boss, deep down, is still the true Boss for me. I do wish that I could have played this game with the SR2 boss, whom everyone followed out of fear and respect. I wanted the Boss to slap around Kenzie for her lip because who the gently caress does this fed hacker girl think she is, kill off Keith David for his betrayal, and beat Asha down for questioning the Boss's beatdown of Matt. "You're outta line!" That entire scene would have been a concentrated, extended gently caress You Say?

Also, I'd really like for SR to go with a more dedicated pisstake of current games stuck up their own asses, not just set-piece parodies. That's why SR2 was so good. It came out after GTA: SA and was competing with GTA4, both games stuck up their own asses with the ludonarrative inconsistency of the Rockstar protagonist. It took the simple premise of "What if there was no stupid morality in our open world crime game like GTA?" Go full hog and satirize, not just parody, Mass Effect. Once earth gets blown up, you grab your homies and go on to the Citadel-like (your free roam area), basically playing out a Mass Effect game as a completely unapologetic psychopath. Everytime you get the false choice of paragon or renegade path, the game just picks renegade for you. You go on a mission of genocide against the Zin before Zinyak's eyes, in a sequence of escalation that makes everyone involved REALLY uncomfortable, just like the Brotherhood missions in SR2.

I want two Saints Row franchises. Sociopath editions and Puckish Rogue editions.

Sweet the one loving post that isn't a classified document in a thread of classified documents and I get hit with a major spoiler cool.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
SR4 is basically the Enchanted of video games.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Hey guys. Remember this?

New THQ president wants an adult humor-free Saints Row

quote:

Jason Rubin's smug rear end said:

"Why couldn't that be a Red Dead Redemption or a Skyrim?" Rubin asked. "I look at that title and I say, ‘Who cares what it is and why it got to be what it is? From that team we can make something that isn't embarrassing."

"[Mature humor] works for South Park, but I'm not sure it does elsewhere," Rubin said. "I don't think (Volition) chose to do what they did because they had all of the options available to them. It was the environment at the time ... I know I can change that."

I'm so happy THQ imploded, so this poo poo didn't come to pass.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Holy poo poo, that would have been amazing. :allears:

I'm sorry, I got the incorrect prompt written down.

Press Any Key To Rip Off Zinyak's loving Head

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
No patch today. Any word from the developers on when they will hotfix broken PC weapon cache/stores?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

gently caress me, this game rules. I really liked SR3 and this just made things even better. The Super Jump controls just like the one from Prototype, with the being able to charge a new jump in the air. Prototype 2 took that out and I really missed it.

The Dubstep Gun is amazing. The Screaming Eagle is amazing. Actually, on the subject of the Screaming Eagle, I love being able to jump into the air and summon it, teleporting straight in and then firing eagle missiles over everything.

I was thinking the Screaming Eagle kind of breaks the balance of the game early on, but then it gives you a tank like three missions in regardless.

Gonna go ahead and hang out with Gat for a bit now.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Clitch posted:

Hey guys. Remember this?

New THQ president wants an adult humor-free Saints Row

I'm so happy THQ imploded, so this poo poo didn't come to pass.

Yeah, because South Park is the only place where you can find adult jokes, you know ?
These kind of jokes are what makes Saints Row what it is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

legendsuper posted:

Yeah, because South Park is the only place where you can find adult jokes, you know ?
These kind of jokes are what makes Saints Row what it is now.

Did the guy at THQ just never notice Freckle Bitches?

e: or the real, actual, literal Dildobat that they had at the offices?

• Locked thread