Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

SimBrief doesn't generate routes, it looks to see if someone else filed a route first and shows you that. What that means in your case is that the last person to file that route was a moron.

SimRoutes generated the flight plan using bad previous user supplied data. It shouldn't do this if it's not going to give it even a cursory glance that its right. Especially on very common routes. It's lazy and perpetuates incorrect flight plans which only makes more work for controllers.

Glad it works for you though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I use FlightAware, not SimRoutes.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Fltplan.com will do fuel and Weight and Balance for a lot of different planes. They can also add your plane if you have the figures and are willing to email them.

sellouts posted:

SimRoutes generated the flight plan using bad previous user supplied data. It shouldn't do this if it's not going to give it even a cursory glance that its right. Especially on very common routes. It's lazy and perpetuates incorrect flight plans which only makes more work for controllers.

Glad it works for you though!

Oh that's ok, I don't mind rerouting the poo poo out of pubbies.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Ferret King posted:

Fltplan.com will do fuel and Weight and Balance for a lot of different planes. They can also add your plane if you have the figures and are willing to email them.

I'd been using this http://fuelplanner.com/

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
That only does direct routings? Or is there an option for editing the route?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think it probably bases it off direct miles, but I always add a little extra to be safe.

SimBrief.com seems like I won't need to fudge it so much now.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Bought the CS 727 for FSX during sale

Xplane 10 has ruined me on FSXs flight model/graphics, especially compared to the flyjsim 727 I already own for XP10. Not to mention, none of the gauges work and it runs like total dogshit. Is there anyway to regift this thing?

Edit: OK I'm a tard. Didn't have SP 2 installed.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 23, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So I upgraded my computer and decided to get DCS World (the LOMAC stuff always ran lovely on my old system). Fun! I enjoy flying the Su-25 around. I really want to fly the MiGs that come in Flaming Cliffs 3 though. Do I seriously need to buy a copy of the old game just so that I can install this $50 new version?

I mean if FC3 were $20 or something then sure. But Why The Hell do you need to have the old game installed when they're charging as much as any other full sim? Is Flaming Cliffs 3 really worth 70 dollars + tax? Ugh.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I believe the generally accepted answer to that question (which should probably go in the OP) is: Because Ubisoft.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Im having trouble getting off the ramp in DCS-SU25T. I start the engine, close the hatch, and throttle up (confirmed by the in-cockpit throttle moving) and the plane doesnt move. The turbine speed gauge doesnt change, and the noise of the engine doesnt get any louder, what could be going on?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Do you have throttle at zero when you start up and keep it there until the engines stabilize at around a third of their max RPM? Might cause problems otherwise.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax

Sagebrush posted:

So I upgraded my computer and decided to get DCS World (the LOMAC stuff always ran lovely on my old system). Fun! I enjoy flying the Su-25 around. I really want to fly the MiGs that come in Flaming Cliffs 3 though. Do I seriously need to buy a copy of the old game just so that I can install this $50 new version?

I mean if FC3 were $20 or something then sure. But Why The Hell do you need to have the old game installed when they're charging as much as any other full sim? Is Flaming Cliffs 3 really worth 70 dollars + tax? Ugh.

They're releasing individual versions of the FC3 planes with upgraded flight models now, apparently in a large part to get around this. The only ones out so far are the Su-25 Classic and the A-10A, but the Eagle and Flanker are apparently on their way. They're like $15 each but DCS stuff seems to go on sale pretty regularly.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's PMDG 777 release week!

I can't find any more information though because the avsim forums have now poo poo the bed.

E:

quote:

rsrandazzo member of PMDG wrote this today:

Captains-

Welcome to release week for the PMDG 777-200LR/F!

We are in the process of tamping down some final details and cleaning up documentation and license text, all with an eye toward delivering the finest 777 simulation you have ever flown.

I want to give you a quick primer on what to expect during the week ahead, and also provide some firm warnings on on what NOT to expect- just so that we can keep everyone singing from the same sheet of music, as it were.

Here are the important things you will want to know:

1) We are currently working a dozen or so small items that will not prevent release.
2) We are currently evaluating one item that has the potential to hold up a release.
3) We are in a "day-to-day" decision making mode whereby we evaluate the fitness of the product and decide if we feel it is ready for release, or if we should continue to hold it for further review.
4) Right now, the "Circle Error Probable" (you mathematicians and fellow Cold War relics will understand that reference. cool.png )on release is about seven days wide, starting Wednesday morning.
5) Given #4 above, that tells me we are likely releasing during the coming weekend.
6) If ANYTHING pops up in testing that we think requires resolution prior to release, we will do so. Even if that means a significant delay... We evaluate such items based entirely in the risk that they negatively impact the usability of the product- so if the risk is high, we will hold... (I'll come back and let you know if this happens, however!)

If any of you ever SERIOUSLY believed that we are just being abusive when we tell you that we do not plan release dates- go back and read #4 and #5 again. We are within 9 days of finishing a highly complex aircraft simulation, and we STILL don't know which day it will get released to you... This is because we release it "on condition" rather than simply putting a tack on the calendar and saying "this is when it goes out."

Okay- so....

We WILL give you some warning... So there is no need to sit and hammer the CTRL+R on your browser. (Although we do love the enthusiasm! ahahahahahha)

During the next couple of days you may see the website go down for a few moments here and there. We are doing a bunch of testing, tweaking and tuning on the performance side. Additionally we are going to be making sales page updates, etc. In the past we have pushed all of those up to the server at release time, but this one may be a bit different- so if you suddenly see the 777 product sales page go live- don't panic...

The product will be made available to you shortly after I win the release date contest that has been going on in the 777 forum. (I love a good competition... especially when I control the outcome! ph34r.png )

I had the good fortune to spend the weekend flying the 777 around to various points on the globe and I have to tell you that this is my favorite PMDG product ever... This airplane FEELS and ACTS like a serious airliner- and it is hard to beat that sense of purpose when you push off the gate headed for points beyond. One of our beta testers likened her to a cruise ship entering or leaving port- and the analogy really is spot on.

I think my favorite feature in this airplane thus far is the "cruise time acceleration." Those of us with multiple real-world obligations that prevent 15hr long hauls can still enjoy them- because the airplane helps to smoothly and safely allow time acceleration so that I can fit a nice KSFO-EGLL segment into my sunday afternoon if I wish... (And to those who can put the entire real-time flight in: I eny you. LOL)

I have seen a few folks posit that the 777 is just a "big NGX." What a misguided thought process that is... The 777 is a completely different bird- and the skills needed to master this airplane are completely different than those you used to succeed with the kid brother of this massive airplane.

Some folks have asked about performance: I am seeing very very good performance all around on this airplane- even better than what I see with the NGX- and significantly better than what I saw with the 400X.

Overall I think the team is really happy with what we have accomplished here- and we are very excited to get you all flying!

Alright: Gear Down, Flaps 30 Final Items!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I have zero envy for that guy. The more passionate idiots on avsim.com must be aggravating as poo poo to deal with. When I came across some dork who matched up a youtube vid of a 737 NG pushing up throttles to the FSX 737 spooling and complained about inaccuracy was when I swore off those boards.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The AVSIM boards have a reputation for being the spergiest of gently caress clusters.

Can't wait to get some shorthaul 777 flights in though, thinking Hong Kong - Singapore. I'm also hoping that the 777 increases VATSIM traffic over Asia somewhat, as the 777-200 is the workhorse of many SEA airlines.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 28, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

PFPX is out. $60 is a bit much for me and the usual activation/installer issues for a release but it looks slick. I still think the route generation will have flaws. I'll look at it after Christmas as money will be tapped out with 777.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Angle of Attack has a write-up on first impressions with the PMDG 777.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Is there any way to disable buttons on a stick? With a few games it detects my X-45 three way slider/mode switches as being a button pressed down (which I guess it technically is, but most games ignore it) and thus rebinding controls can be a pain in the rear end. No, B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th, I don't want every control rebound to 'button 28' or whatever. :argh:

I guess I could always use joy2key or xpadder or something, but that takes some effort.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I know on my stick the X52 (nonpro) the component software allows you to simply remove all 'bindings' from the button or control surface, and it then goes dead.

So for instance I unbound my hat switches, because I use TrackIR.

And then rebound them for other functions, all done from within the Saitek software

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Anyone know a better solution for making games like Sleeping Dogs or UE3 games not think you have a stick permanently in one direction without unplugging the stick? If it's in the menus/camera/character will just constantly go in one direction. Disabling controller input only helps if I don't want to play with my 360 pad, which I do half the time. The Saitek taskbar icon doesn't have a disable/off button and it seems devices/controllers doesn't either. :(

Unplugging/replugging is a hassle but so far it's the ONLY way.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Funny you should ask that, I've been bothering our flightsim goons in IRC because I was trying to load up a game where I'm always turning to the left.

I was working off of this post:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2773801

But I haven't had any luck. Let me know if you figure something out.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 29, 2013

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Alright so I really want to get into this whole flight sim thing but I'm seriously struggling with choosing my controllers. I'm half tempted to just go nuts and buy a warthog but I know that's a terrible idea if I ever decide to stop I'll have wasted a shitton of money. The few I've seen recommended all seem to have something that's either really annoying or just might break for no good reason.

I want to buy some rudder pedals too... and a TrackIR 5 :supaburn:goddamnit guys this poo poo is expensive:supaburn:. Not counting the TrackIR 5, could I get something decent for 200$ (CAD) give or take?

e: I want a hotas, not just a joystick

Highblood fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 30, 2013

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Get a $30 microsoft joystick and a used ch pro pedals set. But trackIr is a must.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Highblood posted:

Alright so I really want to get into this whole flight sim thing but I'm seriously struggling with choosing my controllers. I'm half tempted to just go nuts and buy a warthog but I know that's a terrible idea if I ever decide to stop I'll have wasted a shitton of money. The few I've seen recommended all seem to have something that's either really annoying or just might break for no good reason.

I want to buy some rudder pedals too... and a TrackIR 5 :supaburn:goddamnit guys this poo poo is expensive:supaburn:. Not counting the TrackIR 5, could I get something decent for 200$ (CAD) give or take?

For rudder pedals Amazon.ca just put these on sale, I literally have a set shipping to me now.

For a ~200$ Joystick, you can't beat the X-52 pro http://www.amazon.ca/Mad-Catz-Saitek-Controller-PS34/dp/B000LQ4HTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377823969&sr=8-1&keywords=x52+pro. Don't bother with the regular X-52, it's build quality is pretty meh in comparison.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Highblood posted:

I have a Saitek X-65 hotas sitting around. Build quality is awesome and I'll sell it for less than 200.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YQjabJiFt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEiF7lA58l8

:awesome:

This is just about the most spergy thing ever.. and I love it.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 30, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Jesus christ, really?

EDIT: Haha, is this that same guy that basically jerks it to the P51 Mustang sim?

HAHAHA, it IS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOmJzxoaCA

"MMMMM, look at that slew... awwww yeah baby, mmmmm, SLEEEWWWW"

But drat if their products aren't quality.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 30, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Wow. I want it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

PMDG 777 delayed until next week. Monday - Thursday is the likely launch timeframe now.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/417587-30aug13-pmdg-777-200lrf-release-plan-update-important/#entry2767021

quote:

Captains-

(I've been trying to post this since this morning... Couldn't get the forum to respond... Sorry for the delay!)
Sometimes, the worst part about being an airline pilot is when you hear ATC call you on the frequency and say, "We have holding instructions for you, advise me when you are ready to copy..."

I will keep this short and sweet- but I wanted to let you know that we currently have had the 777 release in holding for a few days while we tried to sort out a problem that we felt was capable of putting the release "At Risk." (You will recall I mentioned this in my post from Monday morning...)

The problem turned out to be a bit more complex than we expected, and the fix was not confirmed until our staff meeting this morning at 1300Z.

The good news, is that the problem has been identified, a fix was found and it was implemented overnight last night.

There really isn't any "bad" news per-se, but we have decided to reset the clock on final testing of the release-build, which puts our release window out into the Monday-Thursday time-frame of next week.

We do not currently have any major items we are working with, and as long as the Tech and Beta teams don't pop up with some new, unseen critical problem, you will be flying the airplane at some point before next weekend!

So here are a few questions some might ask:

1) If we are so confident that product is ready- why not just release now?: We are absolutely committed to making certain that we have fixed the problem without breaking anything further. The only way to do this is to take the time to test the product properly. We have a responsibility to our customers, our testers and our development team to make sure we don't rush this out the door just because everyone is excited to fly... Just like when flying a real airplane, we want to make sure the fix is correct- and THEN we'll go fly.

2) So what was it that you were looking for and why was it considered "High Risk?": Late in beta testing, we got a couple of passing reports from one or two members of our testing teams that "occasionally the switches in the cockpit cease being clickable." They reported to us that it was usually transient... for a few seconds... We started digging around and found nothing, and decided it was one of those odd "sim'isms" that seem to plague any complex software that runs with FSX. At PMDG we use many of the same techniques that are used on the flight deck- and our normal process of polling members of the team for "reservations/concerns" caused us to decide that we needed to take one good, long serious look at this little item. We established a team to dig into the matter, and found that we could replicate it on only one machine, and that replication was random... Our risk analysis on the item told us that, based on the intermittent nature of the problem it wouldn't necessarily prevent us from releasing- but we were worried because we could not predict the failure, nor could we identify what was causing it or give you instructions on how to avoid it... That put it into a very serious risk category... We don't like to have unknowns buried in a release.

3) So did you solve it?: Yes, Yes we did. It took four days... or- 72hrs, depending on how you want to measure it. Alex, Henning, Michael and Vin worked about 18hrs a day for four straight days to find the problem. They identified a mistake we made, corrected the mistake, and then spent another 10 hours verifying that the fix cured the condition that we could replicate. We have now pushed the fix out to our testing team, and we have heard back from one of the four people able to replicate the problem that it has fixed the issue for him. The other three are testing now... and we anticipate hearing the same from them.

4) So why make us wait until next week? We want it NOOOOOW! (And you said August!): Yes, Yes we did. This is a classic example of the reason we never give release dates. You guys know the product is about to release and you are excited about it. We WANT you to be out flying the airplane... But we want to make sure we are really and truly finished before we release her to you. That means giving the testing process time to percolate out to a natural conclusion. I expect you will be flying her by next weekend.

5) Could this happen again next week? With another delay?: I do not expect it will. BUT: If we find something that will prevent some users from being able to enjoy the product- we will keep holding it until we have that issue resolved. That is because we care about product quality- and we have made mistakes in the past that we don't think any of us want to repeat. I recognize that our decision to HOLD until we have the problems fixed is a bit unusual in the modern marketplace, but it is how PMDG operates.

6) Pricing?: All release details will be published next week!

Okay- so...

Enjoy your weekend- we will keep you posted on the testing progress during the weekend with comments (most likely in this thread) and we will see you for the release sometime between Monday and Thursday!

You are really really going to love this airplane... I promise!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
They shouldve just released it as, "Haha go gently caress yourselves, avsim spergs!"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Fine with me, next week is payday!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If they delay again on Thursday... :happyelf:

(seriously, avsim will loving implode)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Jesus christ, really?

EDIT: Haha, is this that same guy that basically jerks it to the P51 Mustang sim?

HAHAHA, it IS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOmJzxoaCA

"MMMMM, look at that slew... awwww yeah baby, mmmmm, SLEEEWWWW"

But drat if their products aren't quality.

Accusim rocks, but their video dude needs to be in gay porn or something. He makes me uncomfortable when he talks about knots.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

The PMDG 777 is out! It's 89.99. Holy poo poo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Look at how much they're selling the MD11 for currently.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Aaaaand the PMDG servers crash due to spergs.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yyyeeeaaa gonna wait a few days before mulling this purchase over

90 bucks for this sperg rear end add-on is reasonable. They're a small company programming basically a 1:1 replica on a lovely rear end foundation. It's not easy poo poo.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's great that you wait patiently for weeks on end, then the store goes down due to overloading while all the AVSIM loving unpleasant spergfaces are flying around in their new 777's. This was an issue with the NGX and it took days.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Diet Crack posted:

It's great that you wait patiently for weeks on end, then the store goes down due to overloading while all the AVSIM loving unpleasant spergfaces are flying around in their new 777's. This was an issue with the NGX and it took days.

I remember that. It took me 2 days to download that plane. Good thing normal goons have Rome II to occupy themselves while Avsim erupts into spergasms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

So much for all their "we've upgraded all the servers so it won't happen this time!"

I figured this weekend I'd get it anyway, since I won't really have time to fly it during the week.