Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
What did WWE do on those nights where RAW got preemted? Was there no RAW that week? Would it air Tuesday? Did they just have a house show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

david carmichael posted:

Golf has an entire channel about it, and its really successful and like 8 guys are watching it at any point during a weekday.

Clearly, the Westminster Dog Show needs its' own channel. :v:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Zack_Gochuck posted:

What did WWE do on those nights where RAW got preemted? Was there no RAW that week? Would it air Tuesday? Did they just have a house show?

No RAW on Monday. Sometimes they'd do a special edition later in the week (I remember one with Rocky/HHH for the IC title in early 97) but many times there was just no wrestling on TV that week.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Normally it would air after the dog show, normally 11 Eastern I think. I seem to remember a couple times when Raw aired on a different day.

EDIT - I'm describing 99-2000ish.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

I like dogs.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

While I understand that, this was the late 90's where wrestling was killing it in the coveted 18-40 something demographic. It's just odd to me that the hottest show on cable tv would get bumped for a dog show. Sure, the viewers of the dog show may have a higher income but how many actually watch it? I totally get the contract thing but it still strikes me as bizarre.

I'm pretty sure that the WWE pulls in a lot less advertising revenue than its ratings would normally justify because a lot of big companies refuse to buy ads on their programming. Even during their peak in the late 90s you'd have major PPV shows being sponsored by stuff like Rent A Center or Noxzema.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

CobiWann posted:

Nope. It was all the way to the final commercial break.

And the match still ended with a nWo run-in after Hogan got beat up for "50" minutes.

Thanks. I guess I just stop watching it after 2 commercial breaks.

And if Giant didn't pin Hogan after almost an hour of beating him, well then I guess he didn't deserve to win. :colbert:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I remember RAW airing on the Saturday following the dog show, but it may have been a clip show. Either way I'm sure nothing of note happened on any preempted RAWs at that time period.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Clearly, the Westminster Dog Show needs its' own channel. :v:

I like to think that if the WWE Network ever gets off the ground, one of the features will be the Westminster Dog Show.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Sega 32X posted:

I like to think that if the WWE Network ever gets off the ground, one of the features will be the Westminster Dog Show.

Imagine the promos they would cut.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

nasboat posted:

No RAW on Monday. Sometimes they'd do a special edition later in the week (I remember one with Rocky/HHH for the IC title in early 97) but many times there was just no wrestling on TV that week.

THURSDAY RAW THURSDAY

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Monday Night Paw

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

The American Dream posted:

THURSDAY RAW THURSDAY
The night HBK lost his smile :smith:

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
About shows that aired after Raw: pretty sure that Tekwar was one of them, for all of its...like, four episodes.

About TNT programming: God help me, I actually like the Postman.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DoctorDelaware posted:

About shows that aired after Raw: pretty sure that Tekwar was one of them, for all of its...like, four episodes.

About TNT programming: God help me, I actually like the Postman.

Tekwar had the best promotion, Raw and the Fresh Prince.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MassRafTer posted:

Tekwar had the best promotion, Raw and the Fresh Prince.

Well, the kids have to learn about Tekwar sooner or later.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
My favorite post-Raw show was "Farmclub.com" because it was so hilariously late 90s to have ".com" in your show's name. My friends and I would imagine some redneck watching Raw, and then being completely confused and thinking he had internet afterwards. "Honey! I'm at one of them dot coms!!"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Cromulent posted:

My favorite post-Raw show was "Farmclub.com" because it was so hilariously late 90s to have ".com" in your show's name. My friends and I would imagine some redneck watching Raw, and then being completely confused and thinking he had internet afterwards. "Honey! I'm at one of them dot coms!!"

This sounded awful so I wikied it and that led me to a history of USA shows. I can't believe Bumper Stumpers actually lasted three loving seasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf3hWWTArvE

It was a Canadian game show anyway, what's it doing on the USA network?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You shut the gently caress up right now about the pinnacle of televised gaming programs, Bumper Stumpers.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
USA used to show a ton of game shows in the afternoon in the 80s and 90s. Press your luck was loving great when you're 7

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
What was that show that aired after Raw that was like a table discussion (I think?) and sometimes Weird Al was on it? I'm sorry for my hazy recollection of it but hopefully that's enough detail for someone to give me an answer because it's driving me kinda nuts now.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Karmine posted:

What was that show that aired after Raw that was like a table discussion (I think?) and sometimes Weird Al was on it? I'm sorry for my hazy recollection of it but hopefully that's enough detail for someone to give me an answer because it's driving me kinda nuts now.

Was it the Weird Al Show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7E57M17Ps8

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

****1/2

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Weird Al tells a story on the DVD commentary about how Randy Savage wanted to know the sex of the hamster before he would do the scene.

Because apparently doing the job for a girl hamster was a bridge too far.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DoctorDelaware posted:

Weird Al tells a story on the DVD commentary about how Randy Savage wanted to know the sex of the hamster before he would do the scene.

Because apparently doing the job for a girl hamster was a bridge too far.

Savage would never let a female have power over him.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Karmine posted:

I think it was hosted by the Zappa kids? No idea what it was called.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ktik posted:

I think it was hosted by the Zappa kids? No idea what it was called.

Happy Hour, I'm pretty sure.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight at 8 PM it's a big WCW Double header! First up the Hog Wild fallout on Nitro, then it is Clash of the Champions XXXIII!

The big free event features:

Rey Mysterio Jr vs Dean Malenko for the cruiserweight title
DDP vs Eddie Guerrero
Konnan vs Ultimo Dragon
A Three Way for the Tag Titles
Giant vs Benoit
Flair vs Hogan for the title

AND SO MUCH MORE!

http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport go there a bit before 8 PM for fun!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Today is the 18th anniversary of the first Nitro. Pour one out.

USA used to show a ton of game shows in the afternoon in the 80s and 90s. Press your luck was loving great when you're 7

Oh they aired all sorts of awesome stuff back then.

Also the last time Raw was preempted for the US Open they moved it to Syfy. And later they pushed tennis to CNBC.

And did the Zappa kids host anything worthwhile, I can't think of anything

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

This is the greatest thing to ever happen on Press Your Luck

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's too bad he was an OCD case who got lucky once and unlucky 17 other times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Larson#Later_life_and_legacy

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Just like when condominiums were burned in Waco brother.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

MassRafTer posted:

Just like when condominiums were burned in Waco brother.

God laid some heavy poo poo on those branch davidians, brother.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I also want to thank Mr. Bling for uploading tonight's Clash of the Champions on super short notice. Thanks!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

7. Austin beat Roberts in 4:28 to win King of the Ring. The storyline was that Roberts was working on badly injured ribs. Ironically it was Austin who was hurt legit as he needed 15 or 16 stitches in the tongue and mouth (done backstage at the building, not in the hospital as was said on television). Austin worked the ribs for about 3:00 and Gorilla Monsoon came in to stop the match. Roberts begged for him to let it go, which he did. At this point they got a lot of heat and Roberts made a quick comeback before being cut off. Austin got the pin with the Stone Cold Stunner and did a strong post-match interview knocking Roberts religion and drinking problems. 1/2*

:allears:

quote:

As for the identity of the third party in the 7/7 main event, it's really a secret. Lex Luger, which was the original plan, I can't see happening because it would be almost an exact duplicate of the Steve McMichael angle and it's too soon to do it again. It could still happen but I don't think it will. Bischoff, Hall and Nash were discussing names this past week with Mabel as the top candidate, Crush being considered for a brief period and then dismissed. All agreed Bret Hart would be the best candidate and WCW even floated the idea it would be Hart on its hotline over the weekend (you'd think after the lawsuit they'd refrain from doing that crap) but Hart has turned down every offer thrown his way. Supposedly Bischoff has in the past few days told Hall and Nash to trust him on this one, but admitted that if they bring someone other than Hart in, and it isn't going to be Hart, that it will come across as a letdown. It also could be another WCW wrestler turning on the company.

:lol:

Also from the "You'll never think of this move this way again" files

quote:

Austin then got the pin using his "Stone Cold Stunner," which is basically the same move as the Diamond Cutter or Ace Crusher. Great effort by both wrestlers.

Austin, stealing the old Diamond Cutter/Ace Crusher.

Apart from the fact he used it in WCW

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 4, 2013

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

flashy_mcflash posted:

You shut the gently caress up right now about the pinnacle of televised gaming programs, Bumper Stumpers.

Well great now the theme song is in my head for the next week.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

LordPants posted:

Austin, stealing the old Diamond Cutter/Ace Crusher.

Apart from the fact he used it in WCW
I don't ever remember Austin using the Stone Cold Stunner in WCW.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
His finish in WCW was a hotshot (called the Stun Gun), then a submission hold called the Hollywood and Vine. To my knowledge, he never used a stunner in WCW.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 4, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

7. Austin beat Roberts in 4:28 to win King of the Ring. The storyline was that Roberts was working on badly injured ribs. Ironically it was Austin who was hurt legit as he needed 15 or 16 stitches in the tongue and mouth (done backstage at the building, not in the hospital as was said on television). Austin worked the ribs for about 3:00 and Gorilla Monsoon came in to stop the match. Roberts begged for him to let it go, which he did. At this point they got a lot of heat and Roberts made a quick comeback before being cut off. Austin got the pin with the Stone Cold Stunner and did a strong post-match interview knocking Roberts religion and drinking problems. 1/2*
And thus was Austin 3:16 born, to a chorus of booing.
Boy, how quickly things change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

And thus was Austin 3:16 born, to a chorus of booing.
Boy, how quickly things change.

Here is the match in its entirety, including the ending promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgKUG9fP5_E