Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've been doing well in pvp with tact iron patriot, havok and a generalist agent. I'm running brute, reboot, bologna scroll and that golden assault rifle from chapter 2, so nothing real special.

Granted I'm just doing my 5 a day for lockboxes since I don't really find pvp very interesting.

Brute is real good at killing healers/buffers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Juggernaut is really good against rescue too. I run a team of him and Havok and I stomp Rescue and Omega Sentinel

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Hah, I was going to be about 25 ISO short of getting Ares today after visiting allies, and then I got 1,000 ISO in the spin. This is the first time I've gotten that before getting the character.

twistedmentat posted:

I'll have to try some of those other characters, but did they fix Widow's always attack back grey suit ability? last time I heard it was still broken.

That was the bug that got introduced when they added the stealthy tooltips to her powers (and the same to other characters with passives that affect all their powers), right? That got fixed a while back.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Syrinxx posted:

At 80 you should be finishing up whatever chapter gives you the Golden Screaming Eagle. Also when it's not Spec Ops time always collect 50 small energy a day from gifts and use them to run epic/challenge weapons while leveling up your guys. Do research that leads to good weapons like the PEW Raze if you have Captain America, or the Tyrant Blade which is a very solid weapon. Also research all the ISOs which may seem like an impossible challenge but will pay off in spades when you are socketing your dudes. Macro silver all day erry day.

Holy gently caress, I didn't even realize that golden weapons improve with your level and you get them automatically for clearing chapters. Thanks.

War Machine is cool now that I'm using him; if you run him against me in PVP you're still an rear end in a top hat.

Just encountered Deadpool in PVP for the first time. Hilarious.

Nice to see a second-string character I have a soft spot for featured in Spec Ops; Hellstrom and Satana are cool but I really like Ares.

Does anyone understand how Bishop works?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, so Omega and Emma make an effective team against all the rescues out there. Though I did not face an Phased agent, I still wish i could make my agent able to strike them. The only weapons I can find looking at the wiki are Soulfire Blade and spirit edge, both are long not available.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I have a Spirit Edge, and IME it's more useful for draining stamina and penetrating shields than for Phased enemies, but that's probably because I'm only level 80 and not running into a lot of cheesy phasing tactics. You can win it from incursions, so hopefully they'll fix that soon.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Yeah, you can actually grind incursions if you're so inclined; restart 2-1-2 until there's an incursion in the first batch, fight it, abort the mission, and repeat. I got a Spirit's Edge after doing that for a while. You might consider grinding for a custom Only For Killing, too, since that with ignore both protect and phased.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I wish there was a way to train more than one hero at a time. :(

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anyone understand how Bishop works?

With Bishop you have your standard actions which have some interesting effects.

You have Boon Buster on your lvl 1 which is good and can absolutely murder some setups (People with the Neurotrope, Omega Sentinel, Herc, etc) as well as giving lock on.

Lvl 2 prevents Technology attacks which is really useful in PVP because for one it gets rid of Rescue's lvl 9 and lvl 6 abilities as well as neutering War Machine who also crops up with some frequency. The other notable thing is it gives you Potential Energy.

Your Lvl 6 gives you your Focus attacks. more on those in a moment.

Your level 9 attacks everyone and gives them all weak point and you Technology Upgrade. Weak Point means the next attack will hit and crit (Really useful if someone else has a move with Deadly Crit) and Technology Upgrade makes your technology attacks more powerful and as it happens your lvl 1, 2 and 9 are all technology attacks.

Now onto your focus attacks. You can get access to these by either using your lvl 6 or by having your Energy Manipulation passive trigger and give you a free turn. You need Potential Energy to use them and luckily your lvl 6 and Energy Manipulation both give you this, although if you don't use them straight away you can get a stack of a few potential energies and get a bit more bang for your buck.

Overall I find these powers a bit underwhelming. Lvl 1 and lvl 6 are basic single person and area attacks. If you get some potential energy they can pack a wallop but that's it. Your lvl 2 is a buff, but I don't like using buffs that aren't Quick Actions because more often than not it's better to take down an opponent as quickly as possible rather than try and build someone up. Your level 9 is a healing move which also gets rid of debuffs, but only on Bishop.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Man, gently caress the iOS pvp season. Between being constantly matched with people with a 300-rating, an exploit lasting at least half the season and routine crashes I finally got the message.

Facebook's had its issues, but I don't recall any issues this bad since they started PVP tournaments in the first place.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Now that I've got a second Reboot I can run a poor man's version of the Data Set. Encephalizer, Combat Analyzer, and a matching pair of boots.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Man, there is really something that just feels right about running a team with a mindless agent and Magneto out, and getting the other team down to just Emma left. Bonus points if she's infiltratior Emma so she keeps trying to psychic tap you after every turn to no avail.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Welp, pvp has officially devolved into a loving Rescue/Phoenix laden pile of poo poo. This is far worse than when Emma/Cap ruined the earliest seasons of pvp. If you think Havok can stop those two you're wrong. I loving hate this game so much right now why the gently caress do I still play it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Five lockboxes plus a coupon to be beaten up and pissed on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Halloween Jack posted:

Five lockboxes plus a coupon to be beaten up and pissed on.

Don't forget 10K sweet silver.

Is there a rule on what status effects are removed by the SoA? I know it cannot remove ones given by items that are passive or class bonuses, but some of the ones that are applied by using an item, or by an ability are not removable.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I know Phased won't be removed from opponents and beleive shell-shocked might not be removed from your own team. Haven't noticed much else,.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

team overhead smash posted:

I know Phased won't be removed from opponents and beleive shell-shocked might not be removed from your own team. Haven't noticed much else,.

Yea, phased won't, but kitty's strike from the shadows can. Most none-passive protects can be as well I found. Obviously any bonuses like strengthened, fortified or focused as well. Though the extra turn from the Sheppards staff cannot be.

The AI really hates Omega. It will ignore everyone on your team and go after her. It's like you don't even need to activate her protect protocol.

You know what's hilarious? Fatal Blow works though shields.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 29, 2013

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a rule on what status effects are removed by the SoA? I know it cannot remove ones given by items that are passive or class bonuses, but some of the ones that are applied by using an item, or by an ability are not removable.

The wiki entry for Remove Buffs lists what buffs can be removed: http://avengersalliance.wikia.com/wiki/Remove_Buffs
Debuffs that can't be removed are rare enough that there isn't a corresponding list on the Remove Debuffs entry; the only ones I can think of are Internal Bleeding and Gargoyle's debuffs. Shell Shocked seems random, sometimes it gets removed and sometimes it doesn't.

There's no straight rule to it, other than the passive and class bonuses you mentioned. I'm so glad Tripping can be removed, fighting guys with that buff is much less annoying than the last time now that I have the scroll.

twistedmentat posted:

You know what's hilarious? Fatal Blow works though shields.

I got Elektra to 9 and I've been having some fun with that.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
I ran up against my first Rescue in PVP today. gently caress that poo poo! How are you ever supposed to get past her? Also ran into Fantomex and Punisher for the first time, they wiped the floor with me. I've been trying PVP more this season because I'm hoping for Elektra, but already have three duplicate covers. Doesn't look like I'll be getting her if I have to grind against Rescue every day. I gave up PVP three seasons ago because of this! Now I'm giving it up again. Time to have fun with Beast and Daredevil...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Psychlone posted:

I ran up against my first Rescue in PVP today. gently caress that poo poo! How are you ever supposed to get past her? Also ran into Fantomex and Punisher for the first time, they wiped the floor with me. I've been trying PVP more this season because I'm hoping for Elektra, but already have three duplicate covers. Doesn't look like I'll be getting her if I have to grind against Rescue every day. I gave up PVP three seasons ago because of this! Now I'm giving it up again. Time to have fun with Beast and Daredevil...

I was killing myself on Rescue earlier, if you have Omega Sentinal, she can deal with rescue pretty well, and so can Mk42 Iron Man if you have that as well. The main thing is to get past her shields, her Hps are fairly low so she's not that hard to kill. I think the most reliable way to get past shields are psi attacks?

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
I've had luck getting past shields using Valkyrie and Constrictor. Valkyrie applies static charge, Constrictor triggers it, and static charge isn't negated by shields. Plus sometimes you get really lucky and Constrictor tosses a crippler or a mystical munition at somebody.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rescue and phased people are why I started using WCP and P5 Emma. It's very satisfying.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
So apparently they've released Squirrel Girl, and you recruit her through one of those sponsored task things. There's a big message above the game that states she's only been released to some people, and the rest will get the tasks opened tomorrow. She's on the recruitment list for me, but I don't have the tasks open yet...

EDIT: Oh my god so many puns in her attacks...

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm loving all the puns, I probably would have preferred to have Moon Knight released buy she looks fun. I don't have her missions yet though.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I wonder if this is sponsored, and if so, by who? Nutella?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

twistedmentat posted:

Buff removal is one of the reasons I like using Satana. Her "buffs" are actually debuffs, so they're immune to any of the enemies' attempts to wipe them. Also nice to get hit with an Enchanted Crowbar and have your stats boosted.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Heads up, she *also* costs 90cp after you finish, according to data mining.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

CDW posted:

Heads up, she *also* costs 90cp after you finish, according to data mining.

For a second I let myself believe jumping through these hoops must mean she's good, then I remembered Thundra was 90 CP.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

I think I've finally found a sweet spot team for this PVP round: Magneto/Tigra and an agent with the Warbringer Axe. Get Tigra's Tiger Fury going, and watch as she'll obliterate everything in her path, especially if Rescue doesn't hit her with off-balance. Magneto's there to hopefully get a stun off on Rescue with his Heavy Metal and to throw up a shield if need be. You don't even need to worry about the bleeding when Tigra's overkilling everything in one shot, but it's a nice bonus.

Of course, now that I've said this I'm sure I'll have nothing but spendtards fed to me for my next 20 battles...

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

GLOSS posted:

I think I've finally found a sweet spot team for this PVP round: Magneto/Tigra and an agent with the Warbringer Axe. Get Tigra's Tiger Fury going, and watch as she'll obliterate everything in her path, especially if Rescue doesn't hit her with off-balance. Magneto's there to hopefully get a stun off on Rescue with his Heavy Metal and to throw up a shield if need be. You don't even need to worry about the bleeding when Tigra's overkilling everything in one shot, but it's a nice bonus.

Of course, now that I've said this I'm sure I'll have nothing but spendtards fed to me for my next 20 battles...
Cool, going to check this team out to see how viable it is. Mind sharing what league you're in and which agent suit/loadout?

I'll share my current team (Vibranium): Scrapper Archangel, Havok, Tac Agent with Bologna, Custom MODOK, Transcranial Stimulator, Shepherd Staff. This team is designed solely to beat Rescue/Omega (Havok) and Phoenix (Archangel).

edit: Ouch, Tigra is absolutely loving terrible still. I stopped after 8 straight losses (7 white phoenix, 1 p5 phoenix yes that bitch is on 100% of teams). On a better note I wound up reforging my Rocket Pistol while testing and that weapon is still boss as gently caress

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 30, 2013

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

In terms of PVP, I'm currently having good luck on offense with Grey Suit Black Widow and Modern Cyclops - both Tacticians. My agent is a Generalist with Digital Decoy, Brute, Curative Reach, Magnetic Field Generator.

At Silver/Gold I usually either win all 5 outright, or 5 out of 7. I still can't find a good combo on defence, mind. And to be honest, I think its mostly Brute - I face Jean and Logan a lot - and Brute essentially takes them out of the game immediately.

It gets me my lockboxes, so I'm happy.

Moreau fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 30, 2013

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have been using Emma and Omega, but suddenly all my battles are up against teams with Magneto, so I switched Emma for Jean, suddenly, no more Magento.

I've also got all the stuff for Squirrel Girl locked, but no tasks to recruit her.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Wait, so was there supposed to be some kind of task list involved in unlocking Squirrel Girl? Because she just appeared available for 90CP for me. Screw Angel, I picked her up immediately.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Does anyone else periodicly see people with very large armory bonuses, but no listings of their characters and the items are not shown? I get that once and a while, and I can only think that either its just an system error, or there is something hinkey going on.

Like hell i'm going to fight a guy with 175k bonus and nothing to show for it.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Jetfire posted:

Wait, so was there supposed to be some kind of task list involved in unlocking Squirrel Girl? Because she just appeared available for 90CP for me. Screw Angel, I picked her up immediately.

Some people got her unlocked, some got the tasks, some don't get anything until 3am, her tasks require Rogue and Gambit though so if you don't have them you got really lucky.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

edit: Ouch, Tigra is absolutely loving terrible still. I stopped after 8 straight losses (7 white phoenix, 1 p5 phoenix yes that bitch is on 100% of teams). On a better note I wound up reforging my Rocket Pistol while testing and that weapon is still boss as gently caress

Weird, Tigra is an harbinger of pure death for me. I had her doing 20k damage on her counters by round 2 easily. My agent setup is the techno skeleton/angolob/fist of the colossus/warbringer because if there's one god drat thing I hate it's DOT attacks. I'm currently sitting in diamond in the top 5%, I may actually take a shot at getting a shiny new trench for my first time this season...

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
If anyone here is playing the mobile version, the Nailgun reward from PvP Season 2 is INSANE. Match it with souldrainer and my agent is a wrecking ball of death.

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!
The game seems really busy at the moment. There are 4 unlockable characters going that you have to complete various different tasks for. I can't help but think they'd be better off spreading them out a bit, maybe waiting until after the spec op finishes to release the Squirrel Girl thing.

Shookies
Aug 17, 2003

A Magic Hand took my Freeze-Gun!!

The Reverand Me posted:

The game seems really busy at the moment. There are 4 unlockable characters going that you have to complete various different tasks for. I can't help but think they'd be better off spreading them out a bit, maybe waiting until after the spec op finishes to release the Squirrel Girl thing.

Counter to your point, my friends have played from the beginning and have pretty much everything with gold and hundreds of commands points banked and they weep for new content on a daily basis.

My PVP team right now (both off and def) @ level 200 (Rating: 988 Top 8.72%):

Power Armor Bruiser Agent, Havok, WCP Inf

Shepard Staff, Scroll of Bologna, Sinister Scepter, Kuzuri.

Agent is in a support role as Astral Tank de-buffer with minor heals and extra turns for Havok and WCP.

I heard Rescue got a nerf and can't remove stun now:

Miscellaneous Fixes
Panacea Response no longer removes Stunned or Exhausted
Increased the duration of Pain by 1 round (applies only to Squirrel Girl's Pain Train ability)

http://forum.playdom.com/showthread.php?337091-2013-8-29-Forum-Patch-Notes-Squirrel-Girl

Shookies fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
And Squirrel Girl recruited. Wasn't too bad worst part is the 8hr research for a useless item that is only used for the task.

• Locked thread