Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Haha, my employer just rented a whole floor of an office tower and they want it wired for internet/conferences/ticket sales in 2 weeks. We don't even have contact with the building IT and there's a single power drop in each corner of this massive space. The last tenant moved out 12 years ago and cut all the cables at the demarc. Our facilities guy is freaking out. Gonna be a fun 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Bob Morales posted:

My boss is a maroon. We have gigabit switched ethernet network and a 3 VMware servers with 6 network cards each.

We have a 3 megabit internet connection (dual T1's). In an effort to make the internet run a little quicker I threw together a squid web cache on Linux. After trying to explain to him for a half hour that it's running on Linux and both squid and Linux are GPL and we can run them for free, he keeps insisting it can't be any good if it's free and we need to sign a software license with the company who makes the software, and have it on record.

Print out the GPL, sign the bottom of the page (or have him sign it if he wants it that way), and let him file it away somewhere safe if it makes him happy.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
An open letter to the department head still using XP on an ancient Dell -

You and your secretary are the last two people in the office using Dell gx520's and running XP. For the love of god, please loving buy a new computer, you luddite holdout! I realize that new = scary, and you barely understand the computer you are using now, but this is getting ridiculous. You are a department head - you make the purchasing decisions, your computers meet the replacement requirements, and you have the money in your budget. Order a goddamn new computer!

Calling me on a weekly basis and complaining that your computer "doesn't work right" and is "too slow" is not fixing the problem. Fixing the problem would be listening to me when I tell you on a weekly basis to BUY A NEW loving COMPUTER! ONE THAT ISN'T A 6 YEAR OLD BOTTOM OF THE LINE DELL!

Thanks is advance!
CollegeCop

PS - Calling me and asking me to come and look at your computer, and then telling me you are too busy to let me actually look at the computer will not fix your problem, either. I need access to the computer, sometimes for more than 5 minutes, in order to fix it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
That's why you have warranty clause. 3 years, then new computer.

Tell him that his computer is out of warranty, and that you cannot support the computer anymore as it will be a breach of whatever support model your company has.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Man, for like the last 3-4 weeks I have had this weird issue where random computers suddenly start Outlook offline. You uncheck work offline and it prompts you to log in, good to go. But no one here has ever had to do that, so I get called/emailed from a phone about it. I've just been taking care of them as they pop up because I haven't had time to dig in and figure out why suddenly all the clients need to log into our exchange server again.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CollegeCop posted:

An open letter to the department head still using XP on an ancient Dell -

You and your secretary are the last two people in the office using Dell gx520's and running XP. For the love of god, please loving buy a new computer, you luddite holdout! I realize that new = scary, and you barely understand the computer you are using now, but this is getting ridiculous. You are a department head - you make the purchasing decisions, your computers meet the replacement requirements, and you have the money in your budget. Order a goddamn new computer!

Calling me on a weekly basis and complaining that your computer "doesn't work right" and is "too slow" is not fixing the problem. Fixing the problem would be listening to me when I tell you on a weekly basis to BUY A NEW loving COMPUTER! ONE THAT ISN'T A 6 YEAR OLD BOTTOM OF THE LINE DELL!

Thanks is advance!
CollegeCop

PS - Calling me and asking me to come and look at your computer, and then telling me you are too busy to let me actually look at the computer will not fix your problem, either. I need access to the computer, sometimes for more than 5 minutes, in order to fix it.

Tell him that the janitor is using a faster Computer than he is, and surely he is more important than the janitor, isn't he?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sweevo posted:

Print out the GPL, sign the bottom of the page (or have him sign it if he wants it that way), and let him file it away somewhere safe if it makes him happy.

It has to be from SQUID CORPORATION, he doesn't understand there are massive amounts of software out there under Apache, BSD, GNU, etc licenses. :argh:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I love it when I get a customer down issue 15 minutes after I woke up...

Not sure who I am more mad at, the Architect who ran LZ Thick disks and pushed the datastore to <10% free disk space and didn't set a memory reservation equal to the ram to not have a .vswp file it couldn provide space for. Or the fact I storage vMotioned to fix it and realized afterwards I could have done a 30 seconds to get them rolling...

Or the complete miscommunication of error messages and issue.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 30, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

tehloki posted:

Haha, my employer just rented a whole floor of an office tower and they want it wired for internet/conferences/ticket sales in 2 weeks. We don't even have contact with the building IT and there's a single power drop in each corner of this massive space. The last tenant moved out 12 years ago and cut all the cables at the demarc. Our facilities guy is freaking out. Gonna be a fun 2 weeks.

See if the building has a riser management company. Sometimes they can jump in quickly to handle extending your circuit to the floor and then cabling out the workstations. If you don't have an internal contact that can do this then just find out the number for the building's property management office and start with them. They might route you to the building's chief engineer.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

See if the building has a riser management company. Sometimes they can jump in quickly to handle extending your circuit to the floor and then cabling out the workstations. If you don't have an internal contact that can do this then just find out the number for the building's property management office and start with them. They might route you to the building's chief engineer.

Yeah, but I bet they don't even have a floorplan worked out yet.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So we signed a new client recently

We have some guys performing a site visit today and there is a chain of emails going on about how paranoid and crazy they are because they have BIOS passwords on, boot to USB or CD disabled and browsing to approved sites only turned on.

Edit: "OMG these guys dont event have local admin lol!"

that is a direct email quote

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 30, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

stubblyhead posted:

Yeah, but I bet they don't even have a floorplan worked out yet.

Hello? Build first, then plan! :pseudo:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
We promoted a support monkey to be a mysql DBA.

He just quit, on the spot, and I quote:

"I will not use or support a company or database that uses racist terminology like 'master' and 'slave.'"

There is not an :aaa: big enough for our reaction. I'm just glad he did it before he went to the mysql training we were going to send him to.

We've been making jokes all morning about it. I really need to come up with the 10 plagues of MySQL, ending with dropped firstborn tables or something.

EDIT: He's white.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 30, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nitrogen posted:

We promoted a support monkey to be a mysql DBA.

He just quit, on the spot, and I quote:

"I will not use or support a company or database that uses racist terminology like 'master' and 'slave.'"

So you call him a monkey?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Jeoh posted:

So you call him a monkey?

He's white. And yeah. He's used the term before.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There are times I almost wish we lived in some pseudo-fascist dystopia where there exists a department of language that monitors the populace and reassigns those who are too liberal in their grammar and punctuation to reeducation camps.

(see France)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

OMG
Im on holiday. Just went by work to pickup some personal affects, going back to work monday. Now get this: My personal cupboard has been broken into. Literally ripped open. And I know exactly who it was. That shithead feels entitled to have access to MY dvds for work at all times. Apparently this includes breaking into my only personal space at work. Currently trying to determine how far to raise this issue. Considering calling in HR and maybe even threaten with cops. I am glowing white on the inside with rage. How can one think breaking into a coworkers personal belongings coild ever be ok... :psypop:

Just tell HR that someone broke into your cupboard and stole your stuff and that you're going to report it to the police.

nitrogen posted:

A bunch of people have started using primary/secondary or server/client for this reason, it's not completely illegitimate.

Edit: his reaction and job-quitting is though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 30, 2013

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Dick Trauma posted:

We met with a bunch of electricians/maintenance guys who seemed kind of slow and were only able to tell us "we don't know if there's even a phone line coming up here. There's just not much here. It's all bare bones. I'll talk to my boss" over and over again.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just tell HR that someone broke into your cupboard and stole your stuff and that you're going to report it to the police.

A bunch of people have started using primary/secondary or server/client for this reason, it's not completely illegitimate.

Edit: his reaction and job-quitting is though.

Thats the big thing. We use the terminology the vendor uses by policy, to eliminate confusion. For example, replication vs. clustering with mysql. We have customers that don't understand the difference, and freak out when they get a quote for carrier grade mysql vs enterprise, so we're careful to use the same terminology as the vendor. It'll be interesting what we'll do when the eventual lawsuit comes down.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

It has to be from SQUID CORPORATION, he doesn't understand there are massive amounts of software out there under Apache, BSD, GNU, etc licenses. :argh:

Hey, look. Every copyleft project will have a similar license file. You can actually present these to management. They exist without :argh:ing

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

nitrogen posted:

Thats the big thing. We use the terminology the vendor uses by policy, to eliminate confusion. For example, replication vs. clustering with mysql. We have customers that don't understand the difference, and freak out when they get a quote for carrier grade mysql vs enterprise, so we're careful to use the same terminology as the vendor. It'll be interesting what we'll do when the eventual lawsuit comes down.

Yeah, I agree with that for sure, it's just weird that someone at the vendor doesn't just go "oh yeah I can see how that's a bad thing to say" and change it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

blackswordca posted:

So we signed a new client recently

We have some guys performing a site visit today and there is a chain of emails going on about how paranoid and crazy they are because they have BIOS passwords on, boot to USB or CD disabled and browsing to approved sites only turned on.

Edit: "OMG these guys dont event have local admin lol!"

that is a direct email quote

Having bios passwords is a little weird, but everything else is perfectly reasonable. In wish more clients would allow me to turn off local admin.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
My googlefu seems to be failing me..

Folder redirection is doing odd things

5 of the 7 sites for this client the users My Documents folder is redirecting to \\server\userdirs$\username but for two sites it is redirecting to \\server\userdirs$\username\My Documents . The GPO for all sites is configured the same, all users are using Windows 7 SP1 and all servers involved are Server 2008 R2.

The sites that are redirecting to \\server\userdirs$\username\My Documents are freaking out because things have changed and its new and scary. I just got off the phone with one of the owners and this needs to be fixed immediately.

Edit: Nevermind got it figured.. Should have had an extra few minutes of "play around with settings to figure it out on my own" before posting.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 30, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I have become, if I'm being honest, pretty loving tired of people giving me deadlines when they have no sense of my workload.

HR just realized they don't have an I-9 on file for me (and I assume a bunch of other people). They have sent me an email this morning instructing me to return the attached I-9 within 3 calendar days. This means Tuesday. It is a 3 day weekend.

I just don't understand how after 14 months of not having an I-9, this person thinks 3 days is a reasonable period.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

Having bios passwords is a little weird, but everything else is perfectly reasonable. In wish more clients would allow me to turn off local admin.

If you're concerned about booting to another device, it's a natural extension to be concerned about control of boot order configuration.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I have become, if I'm being honest, pretty loving tired of people giving me deadlines when they have no sense of my workload.

HR just realized they don't have an I-9 on file for me (and I assume a bunch of other people). They have sent me an email this morning instructing me to return the attached I-9 within 3 calendar days. This means Tuesday. It is a 3 day weekend.

I just don't understand how after 14 months of not having an I-9, this person thinks 3 days is a reasonable period.

If it wouldn't get me immediately fired, I would put that first line as my Lync message and my email signature.
The next chucklefuck douchecanoe that tells me to have a 4 hour deployment ready by tomorrow morning when they didn't submit the request until 1630 is getting throat punched.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

They are trying to spell out a secret message to you.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

couldcareless posted:

They are trying to spell out a secret message to you.

Space Return Left Right NumLock! F1 F2 F4 F5!!!!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
They took down this server last night and didn't bring up one of the disks until this morning, but, uh, who the gently caress partitioned these disks and why

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

10 GB C:\ drive? Gear dog, why?

It's been fun training up two new guys. One I'm not sure if he's just browsing a lot of reddit or if he is just awful. He spent 2-3 days on a script to go through a collection of X509 certs and see if any of them are expiring. One of the days, it started with me saying "Hey, you should use Crypt::X509, check out the docs". Halfway through I asked him if he was having any troubles and he hadn't even managed to figure out how to get the library to load a cert so I had to spend 15 minutes whipping up a demo of how to read a file, strip the first and last lines, base64 decode and then pass the result into Crypt:X509's constructor.

He spent the rest of the day and the next day working on the script, which I still haven't seen.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Do you work in a public high school? Because goddamn if that doesn't look familiar, and I'd like to believe that's not what someone who wants to keep their job does.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Students are back on campus and asking me about Windows 8. gently caress everything.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Not even sure why I bother anymore...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

The Third Man posted:

Students are back on campus and asking me about Windows 8. gently caress everything.

Install this http://www.classicshell.net/

and be done, like 90% of people I talk to who have windows 8 issues are resolved by that

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Hit reply, type an out of office response saying you're in a meeting and then away for the weekend and will deal with any queries on Tuesday.

Also 3 calendar days is Monday.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Lum posted:

Hit reply, type an out of office response saying you're in a meeting and then away for the weekend and will deal with any queries on Tuesday.

Also 3 calendar days is Monday.

Monday here is labor day, a holiday, so it really would be tuesday in USA.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

captkirk posted:

10 GB C:\ drive? Gear dog, why?

I would some large amount of money that it's a default install from dell.

I would also bet that these aren't the original HDD's, and someone cloned the server to larger drives without resizing them.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

nitrogen posted:

Monday here is labor day, a holiday, so it really would be tuesday in USA.

umm, no the calendar doesn't change. 3 Calendar days is 3 days, had it said 3 business days it would be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

The Fool posted:

I would some large amount of money that it's a default install from dell.

I would also bet that these aren't the original HDD's, and someone cloned the server to larger drives without resizing them.

Or they just like their partitions to be nice round numbers.

• Locked thread