Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kessel posted:

If you like red-brown and you don't get Tsukushi, you're cheating yourself.

I was considering either that or J.Herbin Terre de Feu for my next brown-leaning colour. What sort of nib are you using with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Welsper posted:

I was considering either that or J.Herbin Terre de Feu for my next brown-leaning colour. What sort of nib are you using with it?

For the longest time I was using Tsukushi with a Pilot #15 F. That gave a slightly browner look to it because the line was narrower.

Then I swapped to a Lamy 2000, and that produced an absolutely stunning red-brown. Formal enough for the office, colourful enough to make you want to write more.

You will enjoy it best with a less-narrow nib that lets the ink spread a little. I'm currently using a Visconti Homo Sapiens and am seriously considering buying Tsukushi again to see how it goes in a nib this wet.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

That's known as "hard starting" and can be caused by a nib flaw known as "baby's bottom". I'm on my phone right now but Richard Binder's site has a nice discussion of baby's bottom and how to fix it.

The easiest fix may be to grab a brown paper bag and draw a bunch of figure 8s. The brown bag is a wee bit abrasive and will smooth out the bum shape. Make sure to test frequently so you don't abrade it too much.

I had no idea that abrasive paper could wear down a nib. I frequently have to write on manilla folders at work, and I had been using my fountain pens for this. Should I stop using them for this? Do I risk damaging or ruining the pen and/or nib?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

laertes22 posted:

I had no idea that abrasive paper could wear down a nib. I frequently have to write on manilla folders at work, and I had been using my fountain pens for this. Should I stop using them for this? Do I risk damaging or ruining the pen and/or nib?

I really wouldn't worry too much about it wearing down a functional nib. The defect that can cause baby-bottoming with a nib is very tiny and the brown paper is just abrasive enough to fix this. On a decent nib writing on a folder isn't likely to have much of an effect at all. The biggest problem you'll get writing on manilla is getting fibres stuck in the nib that have to be picked out now and then, otherwise you're safe!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I tried out the pen with the Whitelines notebook, the Apica Basics notebook, and the Rhodia DotPad so far! interesting results...

For reference: Faber-Castell Loom - Fine Nib, J. Herbin - Lie de The ink

The Apica Basics notebook actually has minimal ghosting and will only bleed if you get really excessive with the ink (three passes of cross-hatching for me). You have good value with it ($2 USD for 48 sheets, so 96 pages total for this size of the notebook means about 2-4 cents a page). Great as a take around notebook that can take ink well.

The Whitelines Spiralbound notebook has smoother paper but has an issue with ghosting - it's very visible on the backside of the page. It actually bleeds through the back a bit worse than the Apica Basics! It's a pleasure to write on, and considering that I'm using a pen that appears to have a wet stroke with an ink that flows very easily, I'd imagine a drier nib would work better for it. Still fine to write on, but in terms of economy you trade for paper that feels a little better and has a grey tint with the trademark white lines. It's still nice at $10 for 70 A5 sheets - spiralbound means it lays flat, too, a definite perk.

The Rhodia DotPad is kind of a gold standard from what I've seen for pen reviews and the like - it feels good to write on and I got a pad expressly to test out inks with, so it's good to know that it hasn't let me down. Minimal ghosting, smooth, takes awhile for the ink to dry. Very crisp white paper. I'd say that if you wanted to try out a lot of inks this is a good thing to have! I'm going to assume that the Rhodia Webnotebook that I have is going to perform very similar to the DotPad.

I have an Apica CD-5 which has a higher quality paper than the Apica Basic notebook that I've already tried out and a different color cover, so I'll give that a go at some point soon also.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Just got in a sample of Tsuki Yo. I really like this enough that I might consider writing with a blue ink more often. It's a lot thinner in consistency than the Noodler's black I usually use which is a bit offputting at first.

I picked up the Noodler's sample pack from Goulet as well. The Apache Sunset and Black Swan in Australian Roses both look really interesting so I'm excited to try those out. The Black Swan in particular looks really interesting and I think I might like that.

I'm also resisting the temptation to use the Baystate Blue in fear that it will gently caress things up for my Safari :(

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

JP Money posted:

I'm also resisting the temptation to use the Baystate Blue in fear that it will gently caress things up for my Safari :(

Keep up that resistance. That pen in particular will definitely have a bad time with BSB, it tends to chew up those Lamy feeds quite severely.

Don't get me wrong - I love the color, but it stays in a dedicated Preppy eyedropper that not only handles the ink like a champ (albeit with plenty of staining), it's easy to their out and replace should it ever suffer a catastrophic failure.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

JP Money posted:

Just got in a sample of Tsuki Yo. I really like this enough that I might consider writing with a blue ink more often. It's a lot thinner in consistency than the Noodler's black I usually use which is a bit offputting at first.

I picked up the Noodler's sample pack from Goulet as well. The Apache Sunset and Black Swan in Australian Roses both look really interesting so I'm excited to try those out. The Black Swan in particular looks really interesting and I think I might like that.

Give that Tsuki-yo a little time for you to get used to it. I initially got it in a sample pack and was very underwhelmed (like you, because of the thinness and because I was used to Noodler's). However, I took some time to write with it consistently, and over time it has become one of my favorite blues.

Black Swan in Australian Roses is also a personal favorite of mine. If you like it, allow me to recommend that you also check out Iroshizuku Yama-budo.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
My roommate is from Japan so when he goes home at christmas I'm definitely forcing him into getting me several bottles of Iroshizuku I think. I shouldn't have made it sound like I was underwhelmed with the Tsuki-yo - it's a beautiful ink and I really love the darker notes in it. I think it would have a more dramatic shift in color with a broader nib but it still looks very nice as it is.

(On this note, who was the goon who offered to buy a bunch of pilot inks? Did that ever pan out?)

The next round of ink through my pen will definitely be the Black Swan. It looks like a gorgeous dark rose color.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

JP Money posted:

My roommate is from Japan so when he goes home at christmas I'm definitely forcing him into getting me several bottles of Iroshizuku I think. I shouldn't have made it sound like I was underwhelmed with the Tsuki-yo - it's a beautiful ink and I really love the darker notes in it. I think it would have a more dramatic shift in color with a broader nib but it still looks very nice as it is.

(On this note, who was the goon who offered to buy a bunch of pilot inks? Did that ever pan out?)

The next round of ink through my pen will definitely be the Black Swan. It looks like a gorgeous dark rose color.

The ink smuggling plan did not pan out sadly.

If you manage to get an italic nib that Tsuki-yo will probably look and shade great in it. I know the Iroshizuku inks I have that I've used in my 1.5 italic Lamy shade really well, although Chiku-Rin is pretty much just always bright-as-hell-green.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SnakesRevenge posted:

Keep up that resistance. That pen in particular will definitely have a bad time with BSB, it tends to chew up those Lamy feeds quite severely.

Don't get me wrong - I love the color, but it stays in a dedicated Preppy eyedropper that not only handles the ink like a champ (albeit with plenty of staining), it's easy to their out and replace should it ever suffer a catastrophic failure.

I will say that for pens that can handle it, I discovered that rubbing alcohol did wonders cleaning the feed of a pen I had used BSB with for a long, long time.

I totally get the love/hate relationship with that ink, the color is a perfect indigo but I end up having to lubricate my pens too often with it.. Are there any other inks which have a similar intensity?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solkanar512 posted:

Are there any other inks which have a similar intensity?

Iroshizuku Asa-Gao is fairly close to Bay-State Blue without the feed murder.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm currently moving, so I've had to pack up my pen stuff neatly. While going over what I have, I'm kind of sad about my blue inks.

I'm set when it comes to black ink, as Aurora Black is the ultimate ink in that category and I would never even consider anything else. It's just perfect unless you need pure archival qualities (for now, I don't, but maybe in the future when I'm finally working at a law firm full time).

With my blue inks, I kinda went with gut purchases and I regret them all. I got Pilot Blue-Black for pretty cheap, but it smells awful and is just too plain for my liking. I got a good deal on Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, but it's just too light for every day writing. I feel like I'm never going to use it.... Then I purchased Parker Quink at Staples on a whim, and it's just been extremely disappointing so far. Not saturated enough and it feathers a lot, even on some decent paper that doesn't feather with other inks....

I've tried some DIamine inks and their Blue-Blacks are absolutely stunning (I think I finished my Eclipse sample, and I still have Midnight and Denim samples left), but I can't justify getting bottles online with the insane shipping to Canada these days, especially with the hundreds of ml of blue inks I already have....

I think for now I'll keep the Pilot Blue-Black because despite not being perfect, it's still a decent performer. The other two, I guess I'll have to try selling or just keep around in case of emergencies.

It's just making me weary about buying other colours such as red without being certain that I'll like the ink

I'm just happy I didn't waste any money on bottles of Lamy ink. I was intrigued by the blotting paper, but my local vendor gave me a free cartridge of blue and blue-black to test out before purchasing the bottles, and I can't stand them on my EF Safari. Very dry and not saturated enough.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lamy Turquoise is the exception to that rule.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

There is one true blue-black, and it's honestly closer to a blue-grey: Iroshizuku Fuyu-shogun. It's an elegant, beautiful steely blue-grey that looks great on almost any paper and even if your office requires blue or black ink only you'll get away with using it.

I get a question about once a week from a friend or colleague asking hey that ink is beautiful, what is it?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I love Fuyu-syogun as well, and it's the only ink I've even come close to finishing, but it does seem to be rather pale if you use a thinner nib. With a western medium or so, though, you'll get some sweet shading.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

The best blue-black is Pelikan. I also think 54th Massachusetts is great.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Any recommendations for a nice dark purple ink?

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

GabrielAisling posted:

Private reserve ebony purple is super dark, almost black.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GabrielAisling posted:

Diamine Grape is really nice, though I haven't used it extensively yet.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

GabrielAisling posted:

I don't know how dark you want to go, but Noodler's Purple Heart (a Goulet exclusive I believe) is my all-time favorite purple.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Japan Trip Report, Or "I Went On Vacation and Picked Up a Couple of Sailors"

I recently returned from 3 weeks in Japan. Whenever I had a free moment, I would check out the stationary shops and pen stores. It's truly a writing wonderland but, I already have more pens than I can use so I tried not to go too crazy.

A lot of the big department stores have big stationary departments. I got a variety of notebooks and paper that seem to be fountain pen friendly and also cool looking. There were a few inks I've been wanting and, since they are cheaper in Japan than in the States, I got a few.

I spotted this "Sailor Clear Candy" in the cheap pen section. It was green and only about $6 so I had no excuse to pass it up. The plain steel F-2 nib is a really nice writer. I also like the blue snowflake on the cap.

I went to the legendary "Itoya" stationary shop in Ginza, Tokyo. Their 9 floor store is being renovated so they are currently in two separate 6 floor buildings. There is "Itoya" which has standard pens and office supplies and "K Itoya" which has the nice pens, stationary and art supplies. I got a nice case/bag for my iPad at Itoya and then went around the corner to K.

The first floor there is nothing but displays of fountain pens (and a few matching ballpoints but let's pretend those don't exist) There were a few Japanese pens I've been wanting to check out in person before shelling out (to me) a lot of money for them. My Japanese speaking is not great, but I can usually shop with no problems. I know that Itoya gets a lot of foreign customers so I played it cool, hoping that they have a staff member who handles English speakers. I was checking out the shelf of inks when a saleslady noticed and brought me a book that had writing samples of every ink they sell. That's a great idea since, as we all know, the color on the label is not usually what you get on the page.

I finally got up the nerve to browse the pens. Probably 75% of the inventory is European pens, since that seems the be what the big spenders in Japan want to spend money on. I went to a pen show in Tokyo last year and saw something like 90% German pens there. I have owned a Sailor 1911 Standard Demonstrator for a few years and I really love the pen. I really wanted to try a pen with a larger body and a bigger nib. As I've gotten more into fountain pens, my taste has changed and I now enjoy the act of putting down a juicy, broad line when I write. I told the (different) sales lady I was interested in the Sailors in black with silver trim. She showed me the Pro Gear and the 1911 Large models. She then provided a notepad and inked the nibs so I could try them out. The nibs look different on the two pens but both were 21k and as smooth as silk. The 1911 had an F nib so I asked to try one with a B. She found another color with the B nib and let me try that one too. The writing experience was identical, Sailor is known for the great quality of their nibs so it was down to what style I prefer. I decided I really like the flat top style of the Pro Gear with the cool anchor logo so I went with that one. I was surprised that it doesn't come with the converter, I had to buy it for about $5 extra. The staff there was very nice and knowledgeable and I highly recommend going there if you find yourself in Tokyo. With the current exchange rate, both pens were cheaper than I've even seen them selling online in the US. Knowing some Japanese made things a little easier but I'm sure they will take whatever time they need with you even if you don't speak a word.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mulls posted:

The best blue-black is Pelikan. I also think 54th Massachusetts is great.

Would Bad Belted Kingfisher count? I've been using that, and I love it right now. Most of the blue-blacks I've tried end up with a green hue that I really don't like.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

Japan Trip Report, Or "I Went On Vacation and Picked Up a Couple of Sailors"

Good taste in pens, good choice of inks, good everything. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kessel posted:

Good taste in pens, good choice of inks, good everything. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Indeed, the nib on that last Sailor is amazing. I just don't understand why those huge pens aren't piston/vac instead of the current converter. Especially the King of Pens, it feels like a waste, especially if you decide to get one of the crazy stacked nibs.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Fine, Goulet, TAKE MY MONEY!

Going to give the pilot metro a shot as babby's first fountain pen. I've been meaning to re-learn cursive (it's just been so long) and a nice pen sounds like a good investment.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

comaerror posted:

Fine, Goulet, TAKE MY MONEY!

Going to give the pilot metro a shot as babby's first fountain pen. I've been meaning to re-learn cursive (it's just been so long) and a nice pen sounds like a good investment.

This is what I'm doing. I've found during a lunch break about 40 minutes of just writing quotes about a specific topic from famous people makes for good variation and practice. I'm using a Rhodia Webnotebook and I do a front and back page, so it'll be nice to go through the whole book and see my writing steadily go from "what is this" to "kind of legible" by the time I hit the end of the book!

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solkanar512 posted:

Indeed, the nib on that last Sailor is amazing. I just don't understand why those huge pens aren't piston/vac instead of the current converter. Especially the King of Pens, it feels like a waste, especially if you decide to get one of the crazy stacked nibs.

If memory serves, Sailor do piston variants of several of their pens under the "Realo" moniker.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Welsper posted:

If memory serves, Sailor do piston variants of several of their pens under the "Realo" moniker.

They do, and you can totally get the stacked custom nibs on them if you go through John Mottishaw.

I have a Cross Concord Emperor bolted onto a piston-fill Realo and it's bonkers brilliant. You do have to be prepared to pay if you want a very fancy nib though.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Welsper posted:

Yeah, I've heard of the Realo, but that's like 2 or 4 models in the entire range. Maybe it's just me, but I live having a huge ink reservoir and seeing something as large and expensive as a King of Pens with only a converter seems nuts.

Maybe I just need to lust after an M400 or something instead. Pen people are weird. ;)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I've heard of the Realo, but that's like 2 or 4 models in the entire range. Maybe it's just me, but I live having a huge ink reservoir and seeing something as large and expensive as a King of Pens with only a converter seems nuts.

Maybe I just need to lust after an M400 or something instead. Pen people are weird. ;)

Never not M800 :colbert:.
I am kind of disappointed that Sheaffer doesn't make Snorkels anymore. The ink volume is ok (especially since everyone is used to converters) and you will never ever get your hands messy despite using inkwells.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I like inking up pens and using different colors so converters are perfect for me.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

What you need to lust after is the ultimate Writer's Pen, the Custom 823:
http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/custom823/

14k gold size #15 nib, MASSIVE inkwell, ability to seal for travel and to prevent any leaks. This review still sums up the 823 the best:
http://www.stylophilesonline.com/01-06/01823.htm

It's a writer's pen, made for people who like to write by people who knew exactly what they were doing when they made it. It may not be the prettiest pen and it may not make a fashion statement, but if you want to put words to paper there are few better tools. And that's what fountain pens are. They're tools and they're meant to be used and the 823 is one of the best.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I posted earlier but I think it got buried:

Does anyone have any experience with inks that are similar to Waterman's Florida Blue in viscosity/flow?

My Carene is touchy as gently caress and while Florida Blue is nice, HoD and Polar Green (Noodlahs) dribble out like I'm expected to hang the drat thing in a hamster cage for drinking. Tsuki-Yo is somewhere in between.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
i have made a terrible mistake

On the other hand, I have the Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun and a Pilot Prera now...

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

aldantefax posted:

i have made a terrible mistake

On the other hand, I have the Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun and a Pilot Prera now...

A good kind of mistake.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

blowfish posted:

A good kind of mistake.

Plus, a month of beans and rice never killed anybody.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Handwriting practice is already showing some small results, which is nice. Using the Prera with its Fine nib versus the Loom with its also-fine-but-clearly-not-as-fine and also very wet nib is definitely a different experience - I'll need to write with a lighter hand!

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

The Entire Universe posted:

I posted earlier but I think it got buried:

Does anyone have any experience with inks that are similar to Waterman's Florida Blue in viscosity/flow?

My Carene is touchy as gently caress and while Florida Blue is nice, HoD and Polar Green (Noodlahs) dribble out like I'm expected to hang the drat thing in a hamster cage for drinking. Tsuki-Yo is somewhere in between.

I don't know about that specific ink, but I know Diamine inks behave a lot like Waterman's ink. According to Richard's Pens, those two inks tend to behave the best overall, compared to other ink brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Question about the Noodler's Ahab:

I've had mine for about a month now. It's a fun pen, and the nib seems to be performing better the more I've used it. However, I have one problem with the pen, and I'm not sure if it's normal or if mine has a defect. A significant amount of ink is constantly ending up in the cap. It's so much that every time I uncap it, I have to use a cloth to wipe down the section or my hand would get inked up pretty badly. It thought that perhaps there was a bad seal between the feed/nib and section (or somewhere). I routinely disassemble the pen completely and wash it, but the problem always comes back within a day or so.

One caveat: I've been attempting to use the pen on a daily basis, which may be part of the problem since I have been carrying it with me in my planner all day at work. I'm constantly on the move at work, which means my planner gets tossed around in my bag often. It may just be that the pen cannot handle that type of activity, although I could sling my Safari around all day and never have any issues at all. Does this sound like a possible defect, or is this pen simply not able to stand up to that kind of use?