Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

It seems like everything is selling out super quickly, but if you need any more plugs for events on SA just drop me a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
I just downloaded the first five episodes and I'm really liking it so far. Thanks!

PizzaThief
Sep 22, 2006

Traveling through time AND space?
I just discovered Night Vale and ... my god I love you.

The prose and visuals in the show are amazingly fantastic and live so perfectly in that Lovecraftian void deep within everyone's brain that makes you feel the presences in the darkness. The characters are fantastic and the visit to Desert Bluffs was a wonderful episode.

I want so very badly to see Welcome to Night Vale succeed and become something even more special than it already is. I wish I could help out by doing more than simply donating.
I got into acting because I wanted to make shows like The Twilight Zone, and to see something like Night Vale come up and become as popular as it it, it makes the years study and struggle pay off. If only I could get in on Night Vale.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

maxnmona posted:

I'm not sure why they did it through Paypal. Would not have been my chosen method, but the venue arranged it.

It's totally just first world problems. The tickets are an awesome deal and the end game is I get to see the show live. Worth it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
All Things Considered

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

maxnmona posted:

All Things Considered

SWEET. When will this air?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

AstroZamboni posted:

SWEET. When will this air?

Should be Sunday.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
If we see someone selling stuff which is probably without your permission is there a preferred way to let you know about it? (I just saw this come across my tumblr dash.)

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Annakie posted:

If we see someone selling stuff which is probably without your permission is there a preferred way to let you know about it? (I just saw this come across my tumblr dash.)

You can email us at nightvale@commonplacebooks.com. I semi-regularly go through sites like that and send takedowns to people using copyrighted poo poo like that.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

maxnmona posted:

You can email us at nightvale@commonplacebooks.com. I semi-regularly go through sites like that and send takedowns to people using copyrighted poo poo like that.

It's funny how people think they can get away with poo poo like this.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Oz posted:

It's funny how people think they can get away with poo poo like this.

It's not even random people on the Internet half the time; major companies steal poo poo and essentially face no consequences. It's infuriating.

edit: sorry for the derail. It's something that just makes me crazy.

Smeep fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 31, 2013

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Smeep posted:

It's not even random people on the Internet half the time; major companies steal poo poo and essentially face no consequences. It's infuriating.

edit: sorry for the derail. It's something that just makes me crazy.

Plus all those one-a-day shirt sites really toe the line sometimes.

I'm slowly catching up on this but I'm starting to get into all the weird goings on, and how everything is just taken as normal. I'd totally be interested in a comic that tells side stories about life in Night Vale. A day with Old Woman Josie and the Angels, someone stuck outside on Street Cleaning Day, or a comic where Cecil is interviewed but he's always off frame.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

maxnmona posted:

All Things Considered

Yet another radio voice that doesn't look like what I would have expected them to (there is no actual image, I just see a radio person and think "...huh. Wouldn't have guessed that" except Ira Glass, who looks exactly like one would expect).

Anyway, I was thinking about Cecil as an unreliable narrator. He spends basically all his time talking about forbidden things, but the City Council/Secret Police/vague yet menacing government agency/hooded figures can't actually kill him or make him disappear because they need him to let Night Vale citizens know what is forbidden. Therefore, he is probably subjected to a lot of memory modification and re-education (he mentions a "session in the dark box" in the Station Management epsiode), as well as possession by whatever supernatural entities want to address Night Vale as a whole ALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD. No wonder the poor guy is completely insane. I mean, he wears furry pants in the desert, god drat.

Meanwhile, Carlos has moved to Night Vale to do some serious science, only to find that everything is so hosed up that all his data is useless, his team is reduced to bribing citizens to ring a nonexistent doorbell, the townspeople don't really take him seriously, and he spends a lot of time being scared and/or confused. Cecil is obviously head over heels for him, but it's probably not a good idea to get involved with a guy who spends all his time doing stuff like poking the hooded figures with a stick, right? A scientist is self reliant, after all. But it turns out that not everything in Night Vale is completely malevolent and Cecil isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so it's ok to return his affections.

I feel weird putting this where the actual creator can see it, but hey, the author is dead (probably killed by a hooded figure or got left outside on street cleaning day). Also Tumblr is full of morons and is no place to hold an intelligent discussion. (I must admit, though, that I like their depictions of Cecil with blonde hair and arm tattoos of occult Eyes of Providence, because I am a person with blonde hair and a large Eye of Providence on my arm)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I honestly wonder how effective this re-education thing is. Yeah Cecil has been in 'the dark box' at least once. But he's not the only one to experience 'the dark box', or whatever They use for 're education'. Those caught selling illegal bloodstone circles would have been subjected to being put inside 'the dark box' by the City Council (Ep 11).

Steve Carlsberg also went in for re-education in Ep 6 and ending up munching Styrofoam. Yet by Episode 19 - The Sandstorm he's recovered enough to send a email to Cecil about the sandstorm. He's back to his old ways of pointing out flaws.
If Cecil is an unreliable narrator it's probably completely unintentional on his part.

I personally dislike the whole 'blonde Cecil', mainly because it's a desert town, right? So, from US history, I just assumed that miscegenation happened over the years between Spanish settlers, Native Americans, later European settlers that dark hair would be the dominant hair color. But you know, to each interpretation to their own and all that. :) It wouldn't be entirely out of place to have blonde folks in generic desert towns.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I listened to the whole library and am working my way through again two or three at a time on walks. It was a bit unsettling to see a single child's shoe, alone and forsaken, on the sidewalk by the dog park the other day, though.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Hey guys! I preordered Commonplace's first book and got a unique short story written by maxnmona as a preorder bonus. Some of my IRL friends who are Nigh Vale fans were interested in reading it, so I asked him permission to put it online and he agreed. So without further ado, here it is, enjoy!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Hey guys! I preordered Commonplace's first book and got a unique short story written by maxnmona as a preorder bonus. Some of my IRL friends who are Nigh Vale fans were interested in reading it, so I asked him permission to put it online and he agreed. So without further ado, here it is, enjoy!

That's actually a very short play I performed a couple times in NYC. The disjointedness is intentional and part of the effect.

edit: also either you left out a line from the second section or I did.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

maxnmona posted:

That's actually a very short play I performed a couple times in NYC. The disjointedness is intentional and part of the effect.

edit: also either you left out a line from the second section or I did.

I just double checked, you did. :p

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I just double checked, you did. :p

oh ok. It was

"Go fifth," he said

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Yet another radio voice that doesn't look like what I would have expected them to (there is no actual image, I just see a radio person and think "...huh. Wouldn't have guessed that" except Ira Glass, who looks exactly like one would expect).

Anyway, I was thinking about Cecil as an unreliable narrator. He spends basically all his time talking about forbidden things, but the City Council/Secret Police/vague yet menacing government agency/hooded figures can't actually kill him or make him disappear because they need him to let Night Vale citizens know what is forbidden. Therefore, he is probably subjected to a lot of memory modification and re-education (he mentions a "session in the dark box" in the Station Management epsiode), as well as possession by whatever supernatural entities want to address Night Vale as a whole ALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD. No wonder the poor guy is completely insane. I mean, he wears furry pants in the desert, god drat.

One thing I didn't pick up on until I went and listened again, is how in like the third or fourth episode Cecil mentions he has Lyme disease. I looked it up, and what's a major symptom of long-term untreated Lyme disease? Delusions, of such a severity as to be misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder or even schizophrenia. In fact, some case reports apparently list such mental symptoms as the only sign of this disseminated infection. It can also cause panic attacks and anxiety. That's right---for all we know, the entire town is completely normal, and it's just poor Cecil's deteriorating mental state that gets broadcast to us, the listeners.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wedemeyer posted:

I personally dislike the whole 'blonde Cecil', mainly because it's a desert town, right? So, from US history, I just assumed that miscegenation happened over the years between Spanish settlers, Native Americans, later European settlers that dark hair would be the dominant hair color. But you know, to each interpretation to their own and all that. :) It wouldn't be entirely out of place to have blonde folks in generic desert towns.

I just think it's funny how Cecil has started looking more and more like Egon from the Real Ghostbusters cartoon in fanart. Just... y'know, with a third eye for some weird reason.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I just see a radio person and think "...huh. Wouldn't have guessed that" except Ira Glass, who looks exactly like one would expect).

Ira Glass:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Hahaha, I've never seen that picture before. His shirt looks like the smock I wear at the salon when I get my hair cut.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Here's a link to the article about the NPR interview but the audio isn't up yet. :argh:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

His style in that picture might be unexpected, but the :smug: is dead-on.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Are the new shirts up? Because I only see two at TopatoCo.

Edit: Also, another great episode. Dana's stuck in her own little "Dagon" adventure isn't she?

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 1, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Annakie posted:

Here's a link to the article about the NPR interview but the audio isn't up yet. :argh:

It now no longer says it's going up soon, and instead simply says 'unavailiable.'

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Night Vale has in the last few months ripped through my Mid-atlantic->New England geeky friend groups. It wasn't until tonight when I just listened to the time traveler episode that I learned there was an SA connection to Night Vale and searched up the thread.. This show is outstanding.

I've wanted to do something for this but was stuck on writing, but had a friend who wrote a short piece into the universe (after about episode 6), so I dramatized in my best Cecil homage and mixed a four minute fan-made minisode.

Edit: I have regular access to a sound booth (from which I recorded this). It seems like y'all are pretty saturated with such offers, but if there's something I could do directly for the show, I'd be happy to

KhyrosFinalCut fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 1, 2013

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

It now no longer says it's going up soon, and instead simply says 'unavailiable.'

The main page for All Things Considered says that Saturday's episode will go up at 7 PM eastern time.

Hot Dog Day #38
May 16, 2004
The story can now be listened to here: http://www.npr.org/2013/08/31/216865781/welcome-to-night-vale-watch-out-for-the-tarantulas.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
So are the limited edition shirt designs going to be from the contests?

And oh my gosh the new episode! Cecil starting to see Carlos isn't as perfect as he thought?! :aaa:

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Is this the last we're hearing on this topic, or will there be follow-up?

Is Intern Dana (or her double) going to become a hooded figure now? Is she trapped forever as a ghost? Or is she dead? does she go to - and find - the red blinking light on the mountain? Is that the radio station?

Also, how was working with Jasika Nicole?

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I like that the scientists are all too afraid to go into the house that isn't there but apparently John Peters (you know, the farmer) just wandered on in. Maybe he really wanted that five dollars but none of the scientists were there when he showed up.

Edit: Right, duh. Sorry.

ChibiSoma posted:

I just think it's funny how Cecil has started looking more and more like Egon from the Real Ghostbusters cartoon in fanart. Just... y'know, with a third eye for some weird reason.
Haha, I noticed that too!

Edit: For a while I just thought it was amusing that Night Vale would have a Six Flags, and then I realized, what kind of crazy-rear end rides would there be? Games? Toss the severed mouse head into the blood-stone circle, win a spirit that follows you everywhere, constantly weeping, until your dying breath when it will whisper the tomorrow's winning lottery numbers into your ear?
It's just fun to think about.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 2, 2013

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Action Yak Police posted:

I like that the scientists are all too afraid to go into the house that isn't there but apparently John Peters (you know, the farmer) just wandered on in. Maybe he really wanted that five dollars but none of the scientists were there when he showed up.

Haha, I noticed that too!

In my head Cecil looks like Trevor Goodchild from the animated Aeon Flux (as opposed to in the movie, where was neutered but cute) and I'm actually not happy about it. But it's where my mind goes.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Brand new Night Vale stuff, including two shirts that will disappear forever at the end of this month. I'm especially excited about the deer one.

http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TO&Category_Code=CPB

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Will shirts and other merch be available at the NYC shows? I want to order some stuff but I'd rather just buy it there.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Action Yak Police posted:

He could have gone through the stand-alone door in the desert he found awhile ago.

my2k
Nov 11, 2004

I WISH I WASN'T SUCH A LARDASS :'(

maxnmona posted:

Brand new Night Vale stuff, including two shirts that will disappear forever at the end of this month. I'm especially excited about the deer one.

http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TO&Category_Code=CPB

oh boy, finally a mug. I wanted one really bad, since I listened to it at work. Now I can be cool when I explain to others where it's from! Thank you!
I figured there'd be an SA thread because of that Next Market interview I found, I didn't know that you were originally a writer for SA before then, so that's neat.

also, oh no, the new episode, Danaaaahhhh! She is lost to us now :(

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
The new episode reminded me a bit of the Sierra Myst clone about the lighthouse. Awesome stuff! And thanks for reminding me about The Mendoza Line. You need to get some Handsome Family or artists from the UK's hauntological Ghost Box label (though they might be too on the nose).

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Count Chocula posted:

The new episode reminded me a bit of the Sierra Myst clone about the lighthouse. Awesome stuff! And thanks for reminding me about The Mendoza Line. You need to get some Handsome Family or artists from the UK's hauntological Ghost Box label (though they might be too on the nose).

The first thing I thought of when I read this http://www.sierramist.com/