Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

All I want to do right now is lie on my stomach and drink a beer.

Yes, please.

I haven't been stricken with insomnia so much as just weird and bad sleep, but I'm pretty ready to be finished. Ladies at work threw us a shower and our nursery REALLY looks like a nursery now (in that it's full of toys and diapers and clothes and stuffed animals and so much STUFF), so it's all more real and less like we'll show up and find out we're having puppies or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

I even had some lady tell me "that had better be breastmilk!"

I've decided the correct answer to this is 'White Russian'.

I'm through being an incubator, myself. I'm hot, nauseous and congested. She has found something to kick that hurts. 30 days. Motherfucker.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
For the past 2 weeks or so I've gotten up once a night to pee, so thankfully it hasn't been too bad there, and besides that I'm sleeping great. :) Other than the fact that my hips and lower back ache so bad waking up in the morning, my finger joints are really stiff and I think I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm a massage therapist though, so that might have something to do with it. Anyone else have a physically stressful job? When do you plan on going on leave? I may need to stop at around 37-38 weeks; I'm pretty sure my clients are getting weird about my stomach now rubbing up against them during the massage.

Speaking of massage, I seriously recommend you ladies get a few during your pregnancy. I'm lucky in that I can do trades once a week with the other therapists, but if you can afford to get one once a month, or even once a trimester, please do so! It really helps with the lower back pain, and right now it's helping me manage the carpal tunnel syndrome.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
I'm kind of ready for the end to be here too (36 weeks today!!). The last few days have been so muggy and hot that I've started to swell a little. And I'm peeing so much it isn't even funny anymore. On the plus side, my "nesting" energy has taken the form of baking delicious treats for me and my family to enjoy, so there's that.

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Ladies at work threw us a shower and our nursery REALLY looks like a nursery now (in that it's full of toys and diapers and clothes and stuffed animals and so much STUFF), so it's all more real and less like we'll show up and find out we're having puppies or something.

This is how I feel too. It's still hard to believe that there's an actual baby in there! Except when I feel a distinct foot kicking out or something.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
So, my wife has excruciating nipple pain when she breastfeeds. Juliette is latching fine, really wide and lips out, but it's getting unbearable. She has the gel packs, ice packs, etc. but nothing appears to be helping. Any other things she should try? I've suggested going back to the lactation consultants, but she just thinks they'll waste her time with everything she's already been told.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
It's possible your baby could have a lip tie or a tongue tie. Often pediatricians either can't identify it and if they do, dismiss it as not a big deal, even though the pain caused by the ties can ruin a breastfeeding relationship. There's a Facebook group here with support and resources: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/. Her local LLL group will probably have suggestions for supportive dentists or ENT's that will clip the ties. The sooner you get it done, the better.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

So, my wife has excruciating nipple pain when she breastfeeds. Juliette is latching fine, really wide and lips out, but it's getting unbearable. She has the gel packs, ice packs, etc. but nothing appears to be helping. Any other things she should try? I've suggested going back to the lactation consultants, but she just thinks they'll waste her time with everything she's already been told.

Is the baby very new? I had this for the first two weeks. It was agony, I winced and swore at every feed. So I hired a lactation consultant, who gave me one very good tip that really helped but frankly by then it was getting better anyway. By one month there was no pain.

So I'd say to hire a lactation consultant. A good one is a real help, and it really didn't cost very much.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I had really bad nipple pain in the first couple weeks and thought I had a good latch. I went to see a lactation consultant and she made some minor adjustments and it was immediately better.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Ugh, the nipple pain is the worst. I'm wondering if I start again from ground zero, or if it's a bit better the second time.

If you're just at home, going topless really helps (and some lanolin.) Sometimes your bra or shirt adds extra irritation when they're sensitive, so if you can eliminate that, it might be better. You also might want to look up nipple vasospasm/Raynaud's. A friend of mine had that, and it's excruciating, so if it doesn't appear to be any sort of irritation from, you know, a small child being affixed to them nonstop or an infection, there could be something else going on.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

New Weave Wendy posted:

I'm kind of ready for the end to be here too (36 weeks today!!). The last few days have been so muggy and hot that I've started to swell a little. And I'm peeing so much it isn't even funny anymore. On the plus side, my "nesting" energy has taken the form of baking delicious treats for me and my family to enjoy, so there's that.

That's funny, I also wanted to bake a lot during the middle of my third trimester, even brought cookies to my Dr's office. Couldn't stop making cookies!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Thanks everyone. Our daughter is five weeks now. The nipple pain at first was kind of understandable and diminished after a couple weeks, but now it's back with a roaring vengeance. One breast is a lot worse than the other and she thinks there might be a blocked duct.

I'll try to convince her she should go see another lactation consultant.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

She can also try seeing if there's an LLL meeting in the area that's coming up soon. Sometimes those ladies can be even more helpful than an LC.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thanks everyone. Our daughter is five weeks now. The nipple pain at first was kind of understandable and diminished after a couple weeks, but now it's back with a roaring vengeance. One breast is a lot worse than the other and she thinks there might be a blocked duct.

I'll try to convince her she should go see another lactation consultant.

We're at five months and when I got nipple pain on one side it was mastitis (currently being treated with antibiotics). She may want to call the doc/LC just to make sure, look up the symptoms online and see if she has any others.

ETA, not that I'm trying to scare you but if it is mastitis it's an easy fix

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
With a blocked duct you can sometimes feel a hardness in your breast or it could get warm right at the site of the block.

Another possibility is thrush which can feel like shooting pains through your breast during nursing.

For me nipple pain came down to cracked and sore nipples, or milk blebs. Man, that was painful. http://www.pamf.org/children/newborns/feeding/blebs.html

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Baby is smiling, giggling, "talking", and just rolled over from stomach to back. Twice. And I'm drinking a delicious fancypants beer because she's now sleeping 5-6 hours at night before she wakes up for more boob. Baby blues are officially over, this whole parenting thing is loving awesome :black101:

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Awesome, Sockmuppet! Mine will go 5-6 hrs too now, and the ability to have an occasional beer or glass of wine is so nice. And if he for some reason were to need to be fed right after I had one, that magical milk saver thing I posted about makes it so I can easily give him a bottle of breastmilk. Goes a long way to make you feel human again, rather than just a poop cleaning cow.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I only have 4 more sleeps until baby. Need a name, and it's kind of stressing me out. I think I might come up with a top 3 or 4 first/middle combos and have my older son pick one out of a hat or something. Maybe because I've been trying to do some quilting and such, and I would like embroider some of the blankets, but I don't know what to embroider them with.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The nipple pain at first was kind of understandable and diminished after a couple weeks, but now it's back with a roaring vengeance. One breast is a lot worse than the other and she thinks there might be a blocked duct.

If one is worse than the other, a blocked duct makes sense. An LC should at least be able to go over the full range of symptoms and narrow it down and hopefully come up with something. Warm compresses could help ease the symptoms, regardless of the problem.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
Oh, the stress of buying baby safety gear! I'm looking at carseats today. I always read the bad reviews first to make sure those parents are just whining. Sometimes an important flaw is listed there! Alas, I'm glad I still have months to figure all this out.

Which carseats did you choose?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
We used a Chicco KeyFit as our infant seat and we loved it. We had a Britax Marathon 70-G3 as our first convertible seat and it was a really bad choice for my very tall soon. He just outgrew it rear-facing and he's 18 months. We have a Chicco NextFit now and I love it. It's ridiculously easy to install, just like their infant seat, and has the perfect level of bells and whistles for us.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
We started off with an infant seat too. We had the Britax B-Safe. The ability to keep the baby asleep after a car ride was so handy. We were able to use it just past a year before she got too big for it length wise. Now that she's in a convertible, she's in a Britax Boulevard 70 CS.

All car seats have to go through the same tests, so it's just a matter of finding something that you're comfortable with and will fit in your vehicle. The most important thing is installing it correctly.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

ghost story posted:

All car seats have to go through the same tests, so it's just a matter of finding something that you're comfortable with and will fit in your vehicle. The most important thing is installing it correctly.

This, a million times this. The newest, coolest seat won't do anything for your baby if they & the seat aren't secured properly. If you can, get the seat install inspected before baby gets here.

We also used the KeyFit & just upgraded to the NextFit for my 9 month old. Chances are your baby will outgrow the infant seat by height way before they reach the weight limit, if that helps you decide between seats. This site is also an excellent tool for reviews by people actually qualified to give them & not some random person on Amazon: http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/

Go here to find a carseat inspection near you: http://www.safekids.org/car-seat-events

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Really happy with the chicco keyfit goons helped advise me to buy, putting it in the car is so easy and quick, getting baby in and out is also pretty simple, and I love that when I set it on a hard floor it can be rocked to soothe the baby :P

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
We love our Chicco Keyfit too, purchased based on the recommendations in this thread (no baby to put in it yet though, so can't comment on that aspect of it). It was super easy to install in both of our cars, one of which does not have LATCH. One thing I would recommend regardless of the seat you buy though is to get it checked at a free safety check. We learned a lot from it and it was a huge load off our minds to know that we had everything installed safely. Well worth the time spent.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
We also have a KeyFit, but we haven't installed it or used it or anything, because no baby yet. I drive a Honda Element, so size wasn't an issue but ease of getting it in/out is, and it seems like it'll be simple enough.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Here in RI the police department has officers who are certified safety inspectors, they'll install it for you and check, and even give you a certificate type thing so they have in their records that it's properly installed. I just had to call to set up a time to go have them do it.

I have a Graco something or other that's fine I guess, I don't have anything to compare it to, but I wanted a travel system so I could take him out of the car and into the stroller without having to take him out of the seat. It's clunky and bulky and my parents can't ever seem to figure out how to unlatch it from the base but it's really not complicated. I'm on a super tight budget so that informed my decision more than anything since I know the safety tests are all the same.

My biggest complaint is the car, not the seat. Both cars are hatchback, and the seats go down, so the bench seats are 60/40 split rather than 50/50, and the carseat has to go behind the driver's side to be the most secure. If I was any taller I'd be screwed, I had to move the seat up a lot. I'm about 5'8-5'9. I had it installed before I had the baby and it was a pretttttty tight squeeze!

sudont fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 1, 2013

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I hated our Graco infant seat (so did Simon) but we got the Chicco Nextfit convertible and we both love it. It's super easy to install with LATCH and he has a lot more room in it.

Sudont we have a hatchback with 60/40 seats too, but luckily the LATCH anchors are on the passenger side.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

We used a Keyfit as an infant seat and then a Radian for the convertible, because of the high rear facing limit and the slim design that lets you easily put them side-by-side in the car.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
I had no idea the Chicco KeyFit was so popular! That's what I have, too (the KeyFit 30), and I'm very happy with it. Super easy to snap into and out of the car and the stroller base. It does annoy my husband that the only way to put the baby in involves laying her on top of the straps, then pulling them out and adjusting them.

I tried pumping for the first time today. After twenty minutes I had two ounces, which my one-month-old snorfled up in five minutes. It made no dent in her hunger whatsoever and she's been nursing almost continuously for the four hours since. I was hoping pumping would free me up to leave the house without her occasionally, but those numbers are not adding up. Is this likely to improve soon?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Good to know the Chicco is a good buy. My father in law called me a couple hours ago to see if he could buy us a car seat/stroller system. He said he was talking to a couple with a one year old at Babies'R'Us, and they recommended the Chicco KeyFit. Thus, I've got a system, that will show up at my place at sometime this fall. From the pictures he sent, it looked good, and he liked how easy it was to move around the seat and the stroller.

Good advice for showers - which of these major stores have the best return policies? Around where I am, my options are Toys'R'Us/Babies'R'Us, Target, Walmart. I haven't registered for anything yet, but I've looked at things in stores/Amazon just to have ideas on what all is out there.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I get a pittance when I pump unless I use Syntocinon, then I get five ounces in five minutes. Or if I nurse with the other boob, since the letdown affects both.

But I don't think I'll be pumping much unless kiddo changes her mind about milk from bottles - turns out she'll scream her head off if offered milk from a bottle, but will happily chug formula from one. Whatever, as long as it lets me leave the house without her at some point she can eat greek yoghurt through a straw (which I suspect she's doing at night, bless her she's so fat it's ridiculous :3:)

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Anya posted:

Good advice for showers - which of these major stores have the best return policies? Around where I am, my options are Toys'R'Us/Babies'R'Us, Target, Walmart. I haven't registered for anything yet, but I've looked at things in stores/Amazon just to have ideas on what all is out there.

I don't know about the other stores, but a family member of mine had a terrible experience with trying to return a stroller without a receipt at Target. They would only let her exchange for something in the same department which was not even Baby, but Furniture or something like that. So kind of pointless. I hate Target's return policy.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Pumping is so not worth it for me; I seem to produce like, just exactly the amount my son needs. He's 11 weeks today!

I think it was last page so I'll repost it but this thing has made pumping completely unnecessary for me: Milkies Milk Saver. I want to marry it. I will actually be sad if I stop leaking when I nurse because it's let me store up a bunch of milk to freeze.

For a company that does so much online registry business, Babies R Us is really terrible at it. Their site is so clunky, they don't notify you when things you have on your registry are no longer being sold--for some reason my travel system, which was the car seat plus stroller, stopped being sold (just that particular color) and I got no notification or anything, it just dropped down into a "miscellaneous" category on the online registry and the link didn't work anymore. And by default they sign you up for this "Very Important Baby" card, which you can use like a prepaid card to buy stuff like diapers and formula only... but then don't notify you when anyone adds to it. I didn't even know it existed, till a couple weeks ago a former coworker emailed me to ask if I ever got the $25 she put on my VIB card, and I was MORTIFIED. So if you do BRU, just keep a close eye on your registry and make a list of what you add, because it can be hard to tell what isn't showing up anymore.

sudont fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 2, 2013

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

I am so asking for this.
I started a registry on amazon, mainly because I search and review things on there all the time, so that way I can just deal with things easier I guess.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Seven for a Secret posted:

I had no idea the Chicco KeyFit was so popular! That's what I have, too (the KeyFit 30), and I'm very happy with it. Super easy to snap into and out of the car and the stroller base. It does annoy my husband that the only way to put the baby in involves laying her on top of the straps, then pulling them out and adjusting them.

I tried pumping for the first time today. After twenty minutes I had two ounces, which my one-month-old snorfled up in five minutes. It made no dent in her hunger whatsoever and she's been nursing almost continuously for the four hours since. I was hoping pumping would free me up to leave the house without her occasionally, but those numbers are not adding up. Is this likely to improve soon?

The baby is more efficient at getting milk out than a pump. Also some women respond better to pumping than others. With my first kid I pumped for donating milk. At first I didn't get much, but I kept doing it at the same time every night (in the evening after he went to bed, because he usually slept for a longish stretch then). After a week the pumping output had increased A LOT.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
We registered at Amazon too. But very few people got us stuff off our list. I'm not sure if it was too hard for the late planners to get, or if people actually knew better than we did.

My baby has discovered there is a baby in the mirror. It is ridiculously cute to watch him smile and laugh at the other baby. He's also discovered splashing in the tub. It is SO NICE to not have to constantly be his entertainment. I love the monster, but I'm also a huge fan of peeing when I need to without listening to wailing.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

sudont posted:

Pumping is so not worth it for me; I seem to produce like, just exactly the amount my son needs. He's 11 weeks today!

I think it was last page so I'll repost it but this thing has made pumping completely unnecessary for me: Milkies Milk Saver. I want to marry it. I will actually be sad if I stop leaking when I nurse because it's let me store up a bunch of milk to freeze.

I just got this thing based on your recommendation and I want to enter into a plural marriage with it and you. I knew that I was leaky, but I had no idea how much milk was getting wasted. Fantastic recommendation!

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I sent an email this morning to my favorite infant daycare center, and I'm refreshing my window every 30 seconds. This is seriously reducing my work productivity! I realize I'm not due until February, but this place is so good that they are probably already full! I'm hoping to get my spot on the waiting list reserved ASAP, but they've gotta call me back first! ARG!!!!!

Dear Daycare Center,

Please call me!

Yours truly,
Freaking out

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Bubble Babble posted:

My baby has discovered there is a baby in the mirror.

Mine did that this morning! It was the cutest thing I've seen since I put her in her little bear suit and just about fell over with the wibbles :3:

(it has a taaaail! and little eeeears! we bought three...)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

Mine did that this morning! It was the cutest thing I've seen since I put her in her little bear suit and just about fell over with the wibbles :3:

(it has a taaaail! and little eeeears! we bought three...)

That reminded me of the bear suit we had for my son when he was a tiny baby :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
D'awwww :3: Here's mine!

We're practicing for the end of September, when we'll be visiting my family in the north of Norway, where it's conciderably colder.
My favourite picture is the one where my husband is holding her up, grinning like a madman while she's screaming bloody murder at the outrage of being dressed in a bear suit.