Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Donating is awesome, but the last time I did, I ended up with a nerve injury that still hasn't healed yet.

I'm interested in the marrow donation. I'll have to look in to that.

Inspirational Content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Vomax posted:

A macaron is a type of cookie that just looks like someone misspelled macaroon! :eng101:

Oh huh, and all this time I thought it was some weird artifact of how the word was translated to katakana.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Stolen from the gif thread:

Oh my god oh my god oh my god. That is the cutest thing I have seen for like, weeks. I need to get a bird to dance with.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I assume it must be an international standard, 'cause we have the same rule in Scandinavia and we're as progressive as it gets when it comes to gays.

Meanwhile having sex with a prostitute only makes you ineligible for 3 months :iiam:

That's actually not true anymore! at least not in Sweden.
Some years ago the removed that bi/gay can't donate blood. You still have to wait 3 months after having sex with a new partner but after that you are fine!

(This is atleast true in the south of Sweden where i live)

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Groda posted:

Ewww...

Yeah.

Unless you have a heart-warming story about someone donating blood or marrow, this isn't the place to talk about the procedures. It's ruining the "cute and adorable" part of the thread.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The Macaroni posted:

A friend in tough circumstances recently posted on her FB feed asking where she could get a reliable used Xbox360 for cheap. I messaged her and said, "Look, mine is just gathering dust but it's in great shape. Pay half the shipping and we'll call it even." I chucked it in a box along with an new extra controller and a new game and sent it off.

Her kid just had his birthday party, and I PMed her to ask if he and his siblings liked their gift. She wrote back:
She sent an amazing pic too, but I ain't posting pictures of her kids without asking. I'm just glad that I made their day. :)

For kids, it's often the little things. Awesome.

Also, donate blood (AB+ myself, so I do platlets), register for marrow and as an organ donor.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Went to the Champlain Valley Fair this evening, and saw lots of animals. :3:

Black Swan.

Chicks. Oh, but you have to buy six of them. It's the law. Seriously:

Piggies.

More chicks.

Blurry ducklings. They were also only $1.50 each, and no requirement to buy a six packs. I was this close to getting one before realize I have no place to put a duck.

Chicken rockin' a sweet-rear end mohawk.

Adult ducks.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

That is the most thankful and loving look I've ever seen a cat make.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Smoking Crow posted:

"...I'm hungry."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

1stGear posted:

"...I'm hungry."

"What have you done for me lately?"

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Smoking Crow posted:

Agreed. This right there is a cat giving a gently caress :3:

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012
My cat, Hobo, not giving a gently caress.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
Late to bone marrow chat, but where do I sign up?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Bad Sneakers posted:

Late to bone marrow chat, but where do I sign up?

Right here.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...
Two short stories:

Yesterday, I was waiting for a flight from Portland to Honolulu (~6 hours) when the ticketing counter folks announced that they had one first class seat available for upgrade for $150. After about 20 minutes, and older man walked up and asked if he could buy it for someone else. He wanted to purchase the seat for his wife. By the look on his face, you could tell it meant a lot to him.

"Don't you want to check with her first? Wouldn't she want to sit with you?" the woman at the counter asked
"No, no. I really want to do this for her. She wouldn't do it if she knew."

So the woman at the ticket counter is processing the ticket when his wife walks up. The man tells her that he needed to check something on the tickets, and then he offered to hold her luggage for her. A moment later, they were called for boarding, and I could see him tell her while they were in line. He had an arm around her and was just beaming the whole time. She was shocked, but appreciative-- kind of a "no, you didn't! *little joke smack*"

Later in the flight, I saw her come to the back of the plane with a beer for him.

Also, when that flight landed, the flight crew gave a shout out to one of the passengers who had served in WWII, and the plane erupted into applause for him.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0u7e-7AR8A

Some guy decides to live in the outback and look after orphaned kangaroos.

"I'm a kangaroo mum, a full time kangaroo mum, and proud of it! Just cause I'm a man, some people call me a kangaroo dad. I'm not, I'm a kangaroo mum... When I look at a kangaroo mum and her baby, I take notes. I'm really looking at it. Seeing how *I* can be like the kangaroo mum."

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Cosima posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0u7e-7AR8A

Some guy decides to live in the outback and look after orphaned kangaroos.

"I'm a kangaroo mum, a full time kangaroo mum, and proud of it! Just cause I'm a man, some people call me a kangaroo dad. I'm not, I'm a kangaroo mum... When I look at a kangaroo mum and her baby, I take notes. I'm really looking at it. Seeing how *I* can be like the kangaroo mum."

Thanks for this. An an Aussie ex-pat it makes me feel better.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Mugumogu posted:

A kitten came to our house from an animal hospital
as a new member or our family.
Maru has been our only cat for six years.
So we first had the kitty for two weeks to see
if Maru and she can get along well with each other.
But in only three days, the six-year old cat and
the two-month young kitty started to have fun time together.

Maru and Hana playing together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGE41yneQw0

edit: For clarity

Bogan King has a new favorite as of 09:14 on Sep 3, 2013

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

toe shoes posted:

A kitten came to our house from an animal hospital
as a new member or our family.
Maru has been our only cat for six years.
So we first had the kitty for two weeks to see
if Maru and she can get along well with each other.
But in only three days, the six-year old cat and
the two-month young kitty started to have fun time together.

Maru and Hana playing together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGE41yneQw0

Are you seriously the person that owns Maru?! :swoon:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

SilverSliver posted:

Are you seriously the person that owns Maru?! :swoon:

No, that is copy pasted from her blog. I'd have so many more Maru photos in here if that was the case.

Ninja edit: I was just adding a little back story to why Maru was playing with the cat.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

This one goes out to BattleMaster:

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GruntyThrst posted:

This one goes out to BattleMaster:

:3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XurYH-JgFVw

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
drat, are capys chillax 24/7?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

drat, are capys chillax 24/7?

Yes. This is about the most active you'll ever see them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbLdW-8Qa90

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa
So apparently there are wallabies living in the wild in Europe in a few places including the Rambouillet forest in France. They are the descendents of a few wallabies that escaped from a nearby animal park. :angel: Life finds a way :angel:

More images here: http://passionnature78.canalblog.com/archives/2008/06/04/9442980.html

Edit: fixed time paradox

Crocuta has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Sep 3, 2013

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Crocuta posted:

They are the ancestors of a few wallabies that escaped from a nearby animal park.

Holy poo poo, time wallabies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crocuta posted:

So apparently there are wallabies living in the wild in Europe in a few places including the Rambouillet forest in France. They are the ancestors of a few wallabies that escaped from a nearby animal park. :angel: Life finds a way :angel:

There's a big wild population living on the Isle of Man. I love the idea of this (relatively) little island in the middle of the British Isles, wallabies hopping around as part of the wildlife.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
drat, I watched that kangaroo doc and just had to donate something to the guy. Even though I don't have much I hope it helps him.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

MikeJF posted:

There's a big wild population living on the Isle of Man. I love the idea of this (relatively) little island in the middle of the British Isles, wallabies hopping around as part of the wildlife.

There's a little population on Lambay which is a little island just off the irish coast near Dublin; apparently they were released there in the eighties when the population in Dublin Zoo got too big.

Also, did you hear?

Diana Nyad finally managed to swim from Cuba to Florida without a shark-cage - she is the first person to do so, and only the second to have ever completed the crossing at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/02/diana-nyad-swim-cuba-florida1

35 years of trying finally rewarded :3:

(Also I cannot believe it is just a coincidence that her surname is Nyad, but it really is.)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Pookah posted:

(Also I cannot believe it is just a coincidence that her surname is Nyad, but it really is.)
I think you and I are the only people in the world to notice this. :hfive:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

The Macaroni posted:

Before I saw it written I would've spelled it Naiad. I guess she was born for this.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
How about some adorable Youtube channels? Prepare to lose a few hours as you watch this old man show off his cool toy collection.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

The Macaroni posted:

My friend and I were were net surfing together and when we saw "Nyad swims Cuba-Florida" we looked at each other and had a nerd recognition moment. Greek mythology is better than asking if there are stairs in your house.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Not enough capybaras in the capybara thread! Let's fix that!

Look at this little cutie. :3:

They're just such precious little things! :syoon:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Those are really cute snakes :3:. Has a little happy mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'd go so far as to say his face automatically makes a :3: shape. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that animals don't have to be mammals to be adorable.

• Locked thread