Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Xik posted:

There are a couple of nice looking things in there, but yeah the options are pretty slim.

It's free stuff though, can't really complain.

Yeah there's been some really nice stuff on there but the primary problem is that they cost literally thousands of stars, and those stars expire. You'd need to buy every console and every first party game to earn enough stars for some of the high end stuff and hope they don't arbitrarily reset your stars.

Why yes, I am bitter that they removed thousands of stars from my account, how did you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There's also a promotion for Runner 2 on the Pal Wii U eshop, (-25%)

And oh boy, Revenge of the Gator. I remember being with my grandma in a used games shop back in the day, hesitating between Gator and Link's Awakening.

Tried them out both and went for...Link's Awakening duh. :v:

I kind of want to get it now to make amends :3:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Discount Viscount posted:

Yeah, Gator is fun enough but very very basic, Pinball Land is the culmination of HAL's triple-tier pinball trilogy with some actual interesting goals to shoot for.
Are you limited to the orignal GameBoy buttons, or does the VC emulation allow you to map the flippers to the 3DS shoulder buttons? That would be neat.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Minidust posted:

Are you limited to the orignal GameBoy buttons, or does the VC emulation allow you to map the flippers to the 3DS shoulder buttons? That would be neat.

I think on the VC you can map the buttons to whatever you want on a game by game basis.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Sega's VC stuff might, but Nintendo's definitely doesn't.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Sega does what Nintendon't :smug:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Except on the WiiU, where you can map anything to anything, multiple times if you want, or even autofire. The WiiU emulator is some serious poo poo. In fact it's so much better than the 3DS one I can't believe they're from the same house. I guess the 3DS doesn't have enough power to run a robust backend and accurate emulation at the same time (remember, Nintendo is very particular about their emulators. The Sega-made ones probably aren't as accurate. Baseless speculation though). Or more likely they just don't give a poo poo.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Why yes, I am bitter that they removed thousands of stars from my account, how did you know?

Nintendo email you every month with your Stars balance and how many are set to expire that month.

But yes it was better when they didn't expire and when they used to do 5 Stars a day for visiting the NoE site.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Sodium Chloride posted:

Nintendo email you every month with your Stars balance and how many are set to expire that month.

But yes it was better when they didn't expire and when they used to do 5 Stars a day for visiting the NoE site.

They were emailing a defunct email address and I so rarely logged in to my stars account because I never expected they might expire. All of them expired at once, it didn't seem to be a month by month thing. Either way, I just don't bother putting in the codes any more. If I want Mario desktop backgrounds I'll just use google images.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't it about this time when the new Club Nintendo rewards were suppose to go up?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rirse posted:

Wasn't it about this time when the new Club Nintendo rewards were suppose to go up?

Probably because it's Labor Day. More likely than not, we'll see them tomorrow.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The initial press release was missing a few things, so here it is again...

PAL update (week of September 5):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two - €34.99 / £29.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U eSHOP
    TNT Racers - €4.99 / £4.49
    Spot the Difference! Party - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Breath of Fire II (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    SENGOKU 3 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €6.79 / £5.49 until September 5

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Etrian Odyssey IV - €39.99 / £34.99
    MYST - €19.99 / £17.99
    Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion - €19.99 / £17.99 (permanent price reduction)
3DS eSHOP
    Darts Up 3D - €2.99 / £2.69
    Mahjong 3D - €2.99 / £2.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Pinball: Revenge of the Gator (Game Boy) - €2.99 / £2.69
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Funfair Party Games (3DS eShop) - €14.99 / £13.49 until September 5

Epic Mickey for Wii U/3DS are getting permanent price reductions on the eShop; you can still get both of 'em at retail for less, and you shouldn't ever buy the Wii U game, but it's still something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Giana Sisters devs have confirmed that the game will be coming out in NA this week, for $14.99.

They also mentioned that the PAL WU release is outselling the PSN version, which is kinda interesting.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They also mentioned that the PAL WU release is outselling the PSN version, which is kinda interesting.

Isn't there a similar thing occurring with the Wii U version of Rayman Legends outselling the other platforms in Europe or the UK or whatever?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Kinda, yeah. In both cases I suspect it's because the game didn't sell terribly well on any platform...

Anyway, Capcom confirmed that D&D: Cjronicles of Mystara will be out this Thursday in NA and next Thursday in PAL-land. About drat time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dreamcast/Neo Geo homebrew dudes NG.DEV.TEAM just announced a crowdfunding campaign to bring their game Gunlord to 3DS and Wii U:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gunlord-for-3ds-and-wiiu

Couldn't be any more like Turrican if it tried.

EDIT: have a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b1h41hVg_8

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 3, 2013

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

The Giana Sisters devs have confirmed that the game will be coming out in NA this week, for $14.99.

Wait, its coming out on 3DS and Vita?!

drat it I cant afford to buy this game two more times! But its so much fun!

We're talking about Twisted Dreams right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dreamcast/Neo Geo homebrew dudes NG.DEV.TEAM just announced a crowdfunding campaign to bring their game Gunlord to 3DS and Wii U:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gunlord-for-3ds-and-wiiu

Couldn't be any more like Turrican if it tried.

EDIT: have a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b1h41hVg_8

Needs a Chris Hülsbeck soundtrack. Hell, the devs are even German.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
As someone who remembers the Commodore 64 game getting pulled from shelves, I can't believe Giana Sisters is actually a living franchise in 2013. That's hilarious.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here are the new NA Club Nintendo digital rewards:

Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (Wii VC [NES]) - 150 Coins
Pilotwings (Wii VC [SNES]) - 150 Coins
Art Academy: First Semester (DSiWare) - 150 Coins
Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSiWare) - 150 Coins

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I can't buy dsiware because the icons are ugly.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kevyn posted:

As someone who remembers the Commodore 64 game getting pulled from shelves, I can't believe Giana Sisters is actually a living franchise in 2013. That's hilarious.
People keep saying its good, I should probably give it a shot, but every time I see it on Steam my first thought is the horrible copyright infringing SMB knockoff piece of poo poo from the Commodore. Talk about poor brand identity.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does anyone remember Rage of the Gladiator, one of WiiWare's least terrible games? No? Well, it's coming to 3DS eShop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3NH0JKJAhY

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Does anyone remember Rage of the Gladiator, one of WiiWare's least terrible games? No? Well, it's coming to 3DS eShop:

Punch-Out meets God of War? I can dig it. Looks kinda janky though.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Seen a friend of mine stream it and it was honestly looked fun, even if a bit janky.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

homeless snail posted:

People keep saying its good, I should probably give it a shot, but every time I see it on Steam my first thought is the horrible copyright infringing SMB knockoff piece of poo poo from the Commodore. Talk about poor brand identity.

Fun fact: the first return of Giana Sisters was on Nintendo DS with the explicit approval of Nintendo.
The original Giana Sisters just copied most of the base gameplay and levels from SMB while it tried to have its own graphics and style, Giana Sisters DS was something completely different (so the Steam/WiiU version).

The difference between GGS and SMB however were deep: there were no underwater levels and the "fire flower" became something like an energy ball that bounced without respecting gravity (something like Mr.Do!), but not so marked for a judge to see that the level structure was a direct plagiarism from SMB.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Ironically the fact that Nintendo forced Rainbow Arts to withdraw The Giana Sisters from stores concreted it a legendary status. I know back in the day they talked about it as "The Game Nintendo Banned." Nowadays it's considered a classic on the C64-platform.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

limaCAT posted:

Fun fact: the first return of Giana Sisters was on Nintendo DS with the explicit approval of Nintendo.
The original Giana Sisters just copied most of the base gameplay and levels from SMB while it tried to have its own graphics and style, Giana Sisters DS was something completely different (so the Steam/WiiU version).

Actually, the DS version wasn't THAT dissimilar from the C64 version. It definitely felt like "an even odder take on what was clearly similar to Mario", but you could still see the influence in it.

Twisted Dreams however is a very different game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The new one looks like a classic DKC title.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
HD Shantae Kickstarter! Wii U, PC and a bunch more consoles.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero?ref=live

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

I...I can't pour any more money into Kickstarted games... I just can't...

But drat if another Shantae game isn't tempting...

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yeah I put money down on the Shantae Kickstarter, Shantae owns.

Surprised to see they list PS4 and the Bone as target release platforms.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeah I put money down on the Shantae Kickstarter, Shantae owns.

Surprised to see they list PS4 and the Bone as target release platforms.
Wayforward does a lot of licensed contract work to pay the bills, so its not really all that surprising that they'd have their engine up and running on those platforms already to make the next generation of mediocre Nickelodeon adaptions.

Steam is surprising though, considering they only just got through Greenlight for the Risky's Revenge port.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

The Kins posted:

Wayforward does a lot of licensed contract work to pay the bills, so its not really all that surprising that they'd have their engine up and running on those platforms already to make the next generation of mediocre Nickelodeon adaptions.

Steam is surprising though, considering they only just got through Greenlight for the Risky's Revenge port.

I love how they show some of those said licensed contract work in their about section. If I didn't know the quality WayFoward puts into their original games beforehand I'd put the lovely licensed games as my first impression.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wayforward actually does make some decent licensed games, including an Aliens game which is considered better than Colonial Marines.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm pretty sure their Smurfs game is better than Colonial Marines.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of September 5):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two - €34.99 / £29.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U eSHOP
    TNT Racers - €4.99 / £4.49
    Spot the Difference! Party - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Breath of Fire II (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    SENGOKU 3 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Etrian Odyssey IV - €39.99 / £34.99
    MYST - €19.99 / £17.99
    Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion - €19.99 / £17.99 (permanent price reduction)
3DS eSHOP
    Darts Up 3D - €2.99 / £2.69
    Mahjong 3D - €2.99 / £2.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Pinball: Revenge of the Gator (Game Boy) - €2.99 / £2.69
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ?

NA update (week of September 5):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara - $14.99
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - $14.99
    Spot the Differences: Party! - $5.00
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Breath of Fire II (SNES) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ?

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Sonic Generations - $29.99
    Boulder Dash XL 3D - $4.99
3DS eSHOP
    Darts Up 3D - $2.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Summer Carnival '92 Recca (NES) - $4.99
DSiWARE
    Jewel Adventures - $4.99 / 500 Points
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    BIT.TRIP.SAGA (3DS) - $4.99 until September 15
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Art Academy: First Semester (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until October 6
    Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until October 6
    Pilotwings (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until October 6
    Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until October 6

Plenty of decent stuff for NA this week. Recca is god.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Wayforward actually does make some decent licensed games, including an Aliens game which is considered better than Colonial Marines.

Aliens Infestation is criminally underrated. It's dirt cheap now, everyone should check it out.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Whoops, someone mentioned Aliens Infestation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi5hWNnsLm0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aliens Infestation is honestly one of the crappier Wayforward games and was clearly one of their lower-effort products.

Still way better than Colonial Marines though.