Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

If anybody was going to correct me I would have wanted it to be you BiggerBoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

Hooper. Matt Hooper. He's got city hands. He's been countin' money all his life.

Words go in the post. Post goes on the forums. Sperglords in the forums. Our sperglords.

you caught it before I could

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
And incidentally, Hooper drives the boat.

During Quint's speech about the Indianapolis, I loved the non-verbal acting that Dreyfuss and Scheider are doing. Not so much subtle, but the slow dawning realization that they're in the hands of a borderline lunatic who isn't so much 'salt-of-the-earth/sea' as he is a horribly traumatized vet is a great reaction to probably one of the best monologues I've ever heard.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I really love this breakdown of Jaws. The reviewer gets free reign to keep going "Hippppieeeeeeeeees!" :argh: :bahgawd: forever just for that.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Vicissitude posted:

During Quint's speech about the Indianapolis, I loved the non-verbal acting that Dreyfuss and Scheider are doing. Not so much subtle, but the slow dawning realization that they're in the hands of a borderline lunatic who isn't so much 'salt-of-the-earth/sea' as he is a horribly traumatized vet is a great reaction to probably one of the best monologues I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_op16ZWh3sE

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Xander77 posted:

I really love this breakdown of Jaws. The reviewer gets free reign to keep going "Hippppieeeeeeeeees!" :argh: :bahgawd: forever just for that.

I noticed the reference to a genetically engineered Shark/octopus hybrid, then noticed that the article was published in 2003! Is the Asylum taking ideas from random blogs?

Cuase, that would not surprise me at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I noticed the reference to a genetically engineered Shark/octopus hybrid, then noticed that the article was published in 2003! Is the Asylum taking ideas from random blogs?

Cuase, that would not surprise me at all.

According to wikipedia they're taking ideas from italian movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Die Hard With a Vengeance:
At the start they mention that a couple of trucks are stolen Gruber uses these to rob the Federal Reserve
Simon says that he wouldn't give up McClane for all the gold in Fort Knox The reason for this is that he consider that gold pennies compared to the gold in the Federal Reserve
A couple of Simon's henchmen picks up some discharged explosives because they fear that some kids might be killed by it Which makes it pretty obvious that the bomb at the school is a dud

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vicissitude posted:

He aint got no spit either.

My favorite part of the Indianapolis speech is that it was re-written over and over and no one could get it right until Robert Shaw had a go at it the night before the final take and he delivered the whole thing completely shitfaced. Just drunk as poo poo. If you watch it now, it's patently obvious he's bombed, but it works perfectly for the scene and the character. The other great part about speech is that almost none of it is historically accurate.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BiggerBoat posted:

He aint got no spit either.

My favorite part of the Indianapolis speech is that it was re-written over and over and no one could get it right until Robert Shaw had a go at it the night before the final take and he delivered the whole thing completely shitfaced. Just drunk as poo poo. If you watch it now, it's patently obvious he's bombed, but it works perfectly for the scene and the character. The other great part about speech is that almost none of it is historically accurate.

Indiapolis (CA-35)

:frogon:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

BiggerBoat posted:

The other great part about speech is that almost none of it is historically accurate.

What? The Indianapolis got torpedoed, sank and then the vast majority of the surviving crew got eaten by sharks. What about his speech contradicted that?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Len posted:

According to wikipedia they're taking ideas from italian movies.

Lamberto Bava and Bruno Mattei? How have I not known about this film? :staredog:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Polaron posted:

What? The Indianapolis got torpedoed, sank and then the vast majority of the surviving crew got eaten by sharks. What about his speech contradicted that?

I think the main thing is he got some dates wrong as relates to the nuclear bombing timeline. That's what I remember, but getting the date wrong doesn't take away from it IMO. Can't be that pedantic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Supreme Allah posted:

I think the main thing is he got some dates wrong as relates to the nuclear bombing timeline. That's what I remember, but getting the date wrong doesn't take away from it IMO. Can't be that pedantic.

Yeah, based on that wiki page the date was out by a month. Which is almost perfectly irrelevant AFAICT.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Polaron posted:

Re-reading it, "Almost none of it" was was extremely lovely wording on my part.

I meant the number of deaths directly attributed to sharks was exaggerated for effect and drive the story. The sharks were mostly eating crew members who were already dead or close to it.

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/indianapolis.htm

http://www.fearbeneath.com/2008/10/uss-indianapolis-crewmember-recounts-harrowing-tale-of-survival/

It wasn't that they were all waiting for rescue and since no rescue signal had been sent, they all just floated there and were eaten alive for days.

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_of_Fear#Historical_Basis

According to the accounts of the surviving crew, most of the men died of either exhaustion, exposure to the elements, or drinking the ocean water, not from shark attacks. However, this incident is still one of the worst cases of sharks feeding on humans.

Sorry for the JAWS derail but this film is near and dear to my heart.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Sorry for the JAWS derail but this film is near and dear to my heart.

Feel free to start a Jaws thread in Cinema Discusso and then go to town because I would totally read the poo poo out of that! I saw it for the first time as an adult the other day and what I was expecting and what I saw were poles apart. Long story short I loved it, even though I totally misheard Hooper's name throughout (shamed). I'm finding some time to watch a making of doc I found on line because I am fascinated by the shark effects and what they must have gone through to get some of those shots. The capsizing boat was an awesome set piece too. OK I'll quit gushing now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

Feel free to start a Jaws thread in Cinema Discusso and then go to town because I would totally read the poo poo out of that! I saw it for the first time as an adult the other day and what I was expecting and what I saw were poles apart. Long story short I loved it, even though I totally misheard Hooper's name throughout (shamed). I'm finding some time to watch a making of doc I found on line because I am fascinated by the shark effects and what they must have gone through to get some of those shots. The capsizing boat was an awesome set piece too. OK I'll quit gushing now.

I made one a few years back that had a pretty good run.

It's really cool to listen to and read the reactions of younger people who've never seen it before. My wife had never seen it and watching her pick up her feet up off the edge of the couch and generally just piss her pants was great fun. The documentaries and DVD extras are great. And I guess they're it's subtle, but the framing shot or the Orca leaving the dock surrounded by the giant shark teeth I still find pretty clever. Reminds me a bit of the rat in The Departed but not nearly as ham-fisted.

To contribute though, I still love in Superman when Clark is looking for somewhere to change into his costume and gives the non-encased phone booth a quick up and down glance before moving on into the alley.

Tarantino's not known for his subtlety, but the approving "mmmm" look that Harvey Keitel gives him after sipping the coffee is pretty cute, 10 minutes after Quentin talks about how he likes and buys "the gourmet poo poo". Also, a lot people miss this, but after listening to Jimmy go on about "dead friend of the family" this and "dead friend of the family" that, when he's imagining his wife coming home and catching them, she's black.

Sorry if these were mentioned before. Just trying to move off of JAWS.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Edit: Nevermind, read that last part to quickly.

Edit 2: In The Mist, a scorpion-fly lands on the religious lady. Staying calm, she says something like "My life is yours, thy will be done", and the thing flies away. After that she ramps up the crazy rhetoric and eventually gets into ritualistic sacrifice- I don't think it was God that she made a pact with.

This is different than the novella by Stephen King, which was much, much better.

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Sep 3, 2013

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Professor Shark posted:

Edit: Nevermind, read that last part to quickly.

Edit 2: In The Mist, a scorpion-fly lands on the religious lady. Staying calm, she says something like "My life is yours, thy will be done", and the thing flies away. After that she ramps up the crazy rhetoric and eventually gets into ritualistic sacrifice- I don't think it was God that she made a pact with.

This is different than the novella by Stephen King, which was much, much better.

Oh it was a god, just not the one you're thinking of.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Die Hard With a Vengeance:
At the start they mention that a couple of trucks are stolen Gruber uses these to rob the Federal Reserve
Simon says that he wouldn't give up McClane for all the gold in Fort Knox The reason for this is that he consider that gold pennies compared to the gold in the Federal Reserve
A couple of Simon's henchmen picks up some discharged explosives because they fear that some kids might be killed by it Which makes it pretty obvious that the bomb at the school is a dud

I saw Die Hard witih a Vengeance at a very young age and it has always been one of my favorite action movies. Jeremy Irons's character is such an amazing puppetmaster villain. Every time he's on the phone with the police or FBI, he's loving with them. All the riddles, idioms, accents, nervous ticks, and losses of composure served to convince them he was this manical vengeance-driven terrorist, which he absolutely wasn't. I can't think of a better way to continue the story of the original Die Hard. You can definitely believe that his and Alan Rickman's characters are brothers.

Also, every step of his plan goes off without a hitch. McLane never really catches up to his plot, he's always once step behind. The only reason McLane is able to find him at the end of the movie, is the clue he find on the Aspirin bottle, which Gruber only gave him because he was chained to a loving bomb on a soon to be abandoned boat.

Sorry, I love DHwaV.

Edit: autocorrect!

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Sep 3, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

McLance?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

McLance?

Jonne McLance. Hero of the Died Hard movies.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Eclipse12 posted:

Jonne McLance. Hero of the Died Hard movies.

DIED HARD: When being a retired LA cop, Dr. Jonne McLance was visiting his ex-to-be-wife in Chicagoland. She was in Talls Tower when German Terrorists attack and keep the police out. Now only Jonne, with is bare feet, can climb the Talls Tower and rescue ex-to-be-wife from Hank Glueman and explosion!

Also, watch for to seeing DIED HARD 4: DIED, HARDMAN! DIE!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

DIED HARD: When being a retired LA cop, Dr. Jonne McLance was visiting his ex-to-be-wife in Chicagoland. She was in Talls Tower when German Terrorists attack and keep the police out. Now only Jonne, with is bare feet, can climb the Talls Tower and rescue ex-to-be-wife from Hank Glueman and explosion!

Also, watch for to seeing DIED HARD 4: DIED, HARDMAN! DIE!

From the producers of RobertCop, SpecialMan and World Wide West. Coming soon to a bodega near you.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Those all sound like perfectly horrible films by The Asylum.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I love Tombstone, and one scene in particular, I really like:

Just before the shootout at the O.K. Corral, Wyatt and his boys are squaring off against the the Clantons. The camera shifts back and forth between the characters all tensely eyeing each other and then it shows Val Kilmer, as Doc Holliday, wink at Billy Clanton. Billy's eyes open wide and at that moment Wyatt knows that all hell is going to break loose. There are strings (background music) playing at a high pitch and as soon as Wyatt sees that Billy is about to draw, the strings suddenly slide down to a lower register and he says "Oh my God..." and then the shooting starts. I really like the tension in the way he delivers that line and the background music effect.

Here's the whole scene, 1:25 is the moment in particular, although you have to watch the whole thing to appreciate buildup and sudden explosion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRiWAxMMX5o

Count Freebasie has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Sep 3, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
From what I understand, that might be the most accurate movie portrayal of the famous shootout (and there have been many, many others) and it's still about three times too long. I love Kilmer's reaction after Paxton saves his life at the end of that clip. It's a subtle moment on it's own, because the whole characterization is that he wants to die in a blaze of glory, instead of the slow painful death TB is giving him. He expected to get shot there, and he's just kind of stunned for a moment that his death got stolen from him again.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I saw Die Hard witih a Vengeance at a very young age and it has always been one of my favorite action movies. Jeremy Irons's character is such an amazing puppetmaster villain. Every time he's on the phone with the police or FBI, he's loving with them. All the riddles, idioms, accents, nervous ticks, and losses of composure served to convince them he was this manical vengeance-driven terrorist, which he absolutely wasn't.

I like how when he's faking being an agent surveying the damage of the bomb site. His fake American accent slips just a bit when he smirks to himself and says "Somebody had fun."

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I'm watching the director's cut of The Chronicles of Riddick and during the scene on Crematoria in which Riddick receives-slash-unlocks his HIDDEN FURYAN ANGER or whatever, exploding into a ball of energy, everyone in the area was affected and blown back save for the Necromonger Purifier, since he too was a Furyan.

Whether you like what the director's cut added to the film or not, I thought it was an interesting touch in a moment that doesn't focus on it.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
It's probably been mentioned, but the bars in the World's End describe the plot of the movie.

-The First Post is where they start
-The Old Familiar is where they first encounter Sam
-The Famous Cock is where they can't drink because Gary is banned for famously being a cock
-The Cross Hands incites the first fight scene
-The Good Companions is short and uneventful and probably the last time they all get along
-The Trusty Servant is where the Reverend Green gives them insight to what's going on (and where Olliver becomes a trusty servant)
-The Two Headed Dog is where they fight the twins
-The Mermaid involves robots seductively drawing them in to pull them under (like Mermaids)
-The Beehive erupts into an all-out loving brawl
-Before arriving at the King's Head, the King (Gary King) is punched unconscious. Upon waking up, he immediately heads out on his own
-The Hole in the Wall is where Steven drives a car through the wall
-The World's End is obvious

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

BiggerBoat posted:

I made one a few years back that had a pretty good run.
Got a link?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Got a link?

I can't find it. I think I started one but it may have just been a long winded post in a "post your all time best movies" thread or something. Seems like there's interest in one so maybe I'll have a go at it when I have some time. Or someone else can start one. I'll keep looking anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FreshFeesh posted:

I'm watching the director's cut of The Chronicles of Riddick and during the scene on Crematoria in which Riddick receives-slash-unlocks his HIDDEN FURYAN ANGER or whatever, exploding into a ball of energy, everyone in the area was affected and blown back save for the Necromonger Purifier, since he too was a Furyan.

Whether you like what the director's cut added to the film or not, I thought it was an interesting touch in a moment that doesn't focus on it.

I've only seen the DC of the movie, but I'm guessing the visions of the woman weren't in the theatrical version?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Heres Hank posted:

It's probably been mentioned, but the bars in the World's End describe the plot of the movie.

It hasn't been mentioned because this is the Subtle Movie Moments thread, and those really aren't subtle ;) Does remind me of the early pages of this thread where people were basically just listing all the jokes in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Squalitude posted:

It hasn't been mentioned because this is the Subtle Movie Moments thread, and those really aren't subtle ;) Does remind me of the early pages of this thread where people were basically just listing all the jokes in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz though.

Yeah, I seem to remember when the first teaser poster went up with a list of the pubs, people immediately said "I guarantee you those names will be allusions to the structure of the movie."

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Most of them like the Hole in the Wall are pretty obvious, but there's some like the Cross Hands that isn't even mentioned before they go there.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
What's more subtle is the sign for The Mermaid (not the poster for the dance).

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Mu Zeta posted:

I've only seen the DC of the movie, but I'm guessing the visions of the woman weren't in the theatrical version?

(Chronicles of Riddick)
Exactly, there was no super-mystical Furyan uebermensch rage power stuff, and the destiny stuff was less heavy-handed. A lot of people dislike the DC but I think it's fine and still a fun movie to throw on from time to time.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, I seem to remember when the first teaser poster went up with a list of the pubs, people immediately said "I guarantee you those names will be allusions to the structure of the movie."

This is because of the actually kinda subtle bit in Shaun where their plan for day "couple o' bloody marys, a bite at Philips, then shots at the bar" does the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

parque bynch posted:

What's more subtle is the sign for The Mermaid (not the poster for the dance).

Why do people keep saying "that's not as subtle as this really subtle thing :smuggo:", then not tell us what is subtle about it?