Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So my girls were outside the other day and I went inside and suddenly heard a distressed sounding noise from them. I ran back otuside and saw a hawk circling low around our trees. As soon as I got outside all 4 of those dumb hens ran up to me and leaned against my legs and started bawking up a storm as if saying "There you are you stupid rooster, DO YOUR JOB and get rid of that thing."

Well the hawk didnt find me an easy snack (what with me outweighing it by roughly 200 lbs) and chose to go elsewhere. The hens then immediately decided the coast was clear and wandered off, glaring at me with their judgemental beady eyes and probably declaring me unfit to be a real rooster since I was so negligent.

I have to watch it letting the dumbs out though if there is a hawk that big in the neighborhood.

BEWARE of those hawks! I think it was Chido who had one that just was walking in WITH the hens as they went in for the night. Trying to pretend like it was one of the flock! Cunning little birds, those hawks are!

THE RAT: Your babies are so ADORABLE! Look forward to more pictures and/or video!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just went out to check on them and saw a broken egg shell. Looked closer, it was an empty broken egg shell. No residue on the towel beneath.

Kept patiently looking and then BOOM

THREE

THREE LITTLE CHICKS

AH HA HAAAA

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

The Rat posted:

Just went out to check on them and saw a broken egg shell. Looked closer, it was an empty broken egg shell. No residue on the towel beneath.

Kept patiently looking and then BOOM

THREE

THREE LITTLE CHICKS

AH HA HAAAA

OMG SQUEEEE (I think that is what the kids say?) So freakin' ADORABLE. Thank you for sharing!:D

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Go Clubfoot!

I always give my hens or incubators two extra days beyond hatch day to catch any stragglers. Don't count the others out yet!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Man, now I'm thinking I should've gotten bobbie a chick for an avatar instead. :ohdear:

I'm going tomorrow for Kilz so I can prime the new henhouse and get it painted. I'm thinking oil-based Kilz (it's made of OSB) for 2 coats, then something latex over that in a color I actually like. My dad is insisting that this shellac-based stuff he has (battleship gray) is better, but uh, I don't really want a gray henhouse.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Lynza posted:

Man, now I'm thinking I should've gotten bobbie a chick for an avatar instead. :ohdear:

I'm going tomorrow for Kilz so I can prime the new henhouse and get it painted. I'm thinking oil-based Kilz (it's made of OSB) for 2 coats, then something latex over that in a color I actually like. My dad is insisting that this shellac-based stuff he has (battleship gray) is better, but uh, I don't really want a gray henhouse.

So YOU are the mystery! Thank you Lynza, I love my avatar!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Lynza posted:

Find some shellac-based yellow or bright blue! Your dad should enjoy that. ;)

I was wondering why someone got Piscesbobbie a piglet icon. We've only had a jillion photos of adorable baby chicks (although the little pig is very cute). ;)

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Lynza posted:

Since shellac is a pretty good sealant, you could use the grey as your base and then you can paint it a color you like on top. Grey is a neutral enough color that you should be able to paint over it fairly well.

Also, thank you all for sharing so many wonderful pictures. The babies are adorable and the adults are fabulous. All of the chickens, ducks, and quail just seem so happy and healthy.

I don't have chickens, but I made this for the Chickam thread. Consider it my meager contribution.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

luloo123 posted:

Since shellac is a pretty good sealant, you could use the grey as your base and then you can paint it a color you like on top. Grey is a neutral enough color that you should be able to paint over it fairly well.

Also, thank you all for sharing so many wonderful pictures. The babies are adorable and the adults are fabulous. All of the chickens, ducks, and quail just seem so happy and healthy.

I don't have chickens, but I made this for the Chickam thread. Consider it my meager contribution.

It's Yoya and the babies! :neckbeard: I see Skillet--!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's Yoya and the babies! :neckbeard: I see Skillet--!

Yup! And that is Skillet. She's my sister's favorite so I had to include her.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
One of my hens caught a small snake today. Watching them all run around like loons while she tried to eat it was entertaining as hell.

She ended up scarfing the whole thing down after beating up two out of three of the other hens.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That sure is a thing that happened. Oh chickens.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

:c00lbert:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:aaaaa:

The hen looks angry, the rooster just has this blank expression like "Stay calm, stay calm, it'll be like that first night in prison, just let it happen and it'll be over soon, oh god. . ."

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Tabasco has a total 'You know, this is a good look for me.' expression. Pancake looks dangerously annoyed.

Also, not enough princess in that picture. C'mon, you know you want to.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Pancake always looks mad. Gotta love the brahma 'brow :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I think that Pancake hates that Hello Kitty dress. Tabasco looks muy fabuloso!

Tabasco needs to try some hot pink next! Or the karate outfit. :dance:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

One of my hens caught a small snake today. Watching them all run around like loons while she tried to eat it was entertaining as hell.

She ended up scarfing the whole thing down after beating up two out of three of the other hens.
The best is watching a cat bring up a mouse that's still alive and having the chickens and cat work together, chasing and killing it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Clubfoot stopped sitting on the remaining eggs. Since it's been about 3 days since the first chicks hatched, I figured that the three remaining weren't gonna hatch. So I went and dropped them in garbage can. Turns out all three had chicks in them, just not very developed. One was even peeping at me. I broke him out of his shell, but he was still too unformed to make it outside of the egg. Eyes were still closed and all.

What a :smith: way to start the day.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The Rat posted:

Clubfoot stopped sitting on the remaining eggs. Since it's been about 3 days since the first chicks hatched, I figured that the three remaining weren't gonna hatch. So I went and dropped them in garbage can. Turns out all three had chicks in them, just not very developed. One was even peeping at me. I broke him out of his shell, but he was still too unformed to make it outside of the egg. Eyes were still closed and all.

What a :smith: way to start the day.

Breakout is never easy. You did what you could, and if they aren't developed, then it's Mother Nature making the call. Breakout does give you good feedback for future hatches, but yeah, Lord it's tough to do. Don't feel bad, you tried.

Focus on the chicks you did get, I prescribe some chick cuddling. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The Rat: How many chicks did you end up with? If you only got two, I suggest buying a third chick from the feed store, just to have more of a chick gang.

Chicken enabler? Me? :angel:

VVVV Oh! You're right, RazorBunny! There are three chicks! All so adorable! :3:

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 1, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I see three little cheepies in that last picture :)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yup, three. Here's Clubfoot this morning going all battleship when Pilot came over to have a look.

On the plus side, all three of the embryos had black fuzz, so out of the seven eggs that she started brooding on, 6/7 were fertilized by Dumpling. And people said he was too small! He showed them!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The Rat posted:

Yup, three. Here's Clubfoot this morning going all battleship when Pilot came over to have a look.

Ahahahahaha!!! Look at that angry ball of hen! Broodies are so wonderful! :dance:

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I think the feed store is getting more chicks in for the fall.
Oh gently caress.

If they have polish pullets I'm dead.

My stupid hens aren't laying yet. Fat, spoiled freeloaders! :argh:

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Chicken drama!
I finally have a new coop for the girls set up, and they of course thank me by huddling on the side of it, refusing to sleep in the coop. Of course, they're all awake when I come outside in the dark to kidnap them and put them in the coop so they wake up all :downs: huh I don't remember waking up here well I guess this is home. Chickens. :argh:

Their look as I came to kidnap them was sad enough that I felt bad doing it because they looked so upset about the whole ordeal. "I'm tired and sleepy please don't kill me"

From earlier today:

Bub's got a lot more iridescence in her feathers than what my cellphone camera picked up. Same with Lincoln.

Top to bottom: Audrey, Lincoln, Bubbles.
Audrey's comb looks more normal than it really is in this. From farther away it's not too noticeable, but I still think her straight comb looks stupid. Lincoln is still the fat and sassy head hen, while Bubbles is kind of dumb but so pretty and soft that I don't care. Lincoln's coloring is turning out so pretty as she gets older with all the red lacing on her feathers and breast. For being a mutt, she's a pretty girl.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Well, the constant rain has taken a heavy toll.
So far, I've lost two pied guinea keets, one seven month old turkey, one white d'uccle rooster and the lavender keet I handfed for weeks to get her over sourcrop. :smithicide:
Plus I just had to bring one of the adult guineas in and stick her under a heatlamp in the brooder. Turns out adults can't take two months of rain either! Tonight will be fun, she's a real screamer when she's not actively dying.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Pogonodon posted:

So far, I've lost two pied guinea keets, one seven month old turkey, one white d'uccle rooster and the lavender keet I handfed for weeks to get her over sourcrop. :smithicide:
Plus I just had to bring one of the adult guineas in and stick her under a heatlamp in the brooder. Turns out adults can't take two months of rain either! Tonight will be fun, she's a real screamer when she's not actively dying.

That sucks. So sorry for your losses. JEEZ, it can only get better from this point, right? I'll be thinking good thoughts for you and your critters. :h:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Pogonodon posted:

Where on Earth are you to have two months of nonstop rain, and how are you not living on an Ark? Or are you...?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I'm exaggerating a bit out of frustration on the two months part. Can't find the July weather chart, but 21 of 31 days in August had rain, plus the last week of July. So not actually constant, just feels very very close to it. The bird yards are solid mud! :v:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Perhaps you need to get ducks rather than other types of poultry. :colbert:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pogonodon posted:

I'm exaggerating a bit out of frustration on the two months part. Can't find the July weather chart, but 21 of 31 days in August had rain, plus the last week of July. So not actually constant, just feels very very close to it. The bird yards are solid mud! :v:

Same here in Florida. All my plants not in a raised bed have yellowed and drowned. Now next year, I will have super-dooper drainage set up, and we will have a drought. Simply how it goes.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Same here in Florida. All my plants not in a raised bed have yellowed and drowned. Now next year, I will have super-dooper drainage set up, and we will have a drought. Simply how it goes.

Drought until the plants are almost dead, then rains will come and drown everything you ever cared about. Or a hurricane will knock a tree down exactly right to smash everything in the gardens. drat you, nature :argh:

Inveigle posted:

Perhaps you need to get ducks rather than other types of poultry. :colbert:

Geese, maybe. I'm not sure I like ducks enough to keep papers on hand at every moment proving they aren't derived from mallards. It may be interesting to have two different flocks of birds that scream every time a car passes by. Or a stick falls. Or a cloud floats by.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
damnit.
I left the tarp off the run because I figured they were too fat to fly out/wings were still partially clipped and they could do with better lighting. Well, the smarter two figured out that maaaybe flying the coop was a bad idea. Not Audrey. Lincoln and Bubbles were freaking out and must have seen it.
And now I have a confused why I was screaming at it dog and another dead chicken. Sigh. I guess it's time for more wing clipping.
I'm really not a dog person.

So, convenient timing that my farm store has chickens, but hahaha there's no way I'm being allowed to brood another set of babies in the garage. Am I crazy to ask someone on Craigslist to brood my chicks for me? Why do I love this hobby when it is clear that it does not? I started with five, and now I have two.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Grape Soda -- Sorry to hear about Audrey. :(

You can buy clear vinyl tarps: http://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/clear-poly-tarps.html.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Did anyone else get annoyed at that one episode of the Netflix show Orange is the New Black? Nobody seems to have told chickens they can't fly. They can do it surprisingly well. :colbert:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Alterian posted:

Did anyone else get annoyed at that one episode of the Netflix show Orange is the New Black? Nobody seems to have told chickens they can't fly. They can do it surprisingly well. :colbert:

Which episode was this? I watched the first five episodes and then bailed. The true story of the main character was a lot more compelling than the fictional side stories they added to spice the series up.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
On the Duct Tape Island Special of Mythbusters, nobody told Adam Savage that chickens can fly either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op-lPcNRWZc

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Episode 5: The Chickening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
^^ Please tell me I wasn't the only one super relieved that she got away!

Grape Soda posted:

damnit.
I left the tarp off the run because I figured they were too fat to fly out/wings were still partially clipped and they could do with better lighting. Well, the smarter two figured out that maaaybe flying the coop was a bad idea. Not Audrey. Lincoln and Bubbles were freaking out and must have seen it.
And now I have a confused why I was screaming at it dog and another dead chicken. Sigh. I guess it's time for more wing clipping.
I'm really not a dog person.

So, convenient timing that my farm store has chickens, but hahaha there's no way I'm being allowed to brood another set of babies in the garage. Am I crazy to ask someone on Craigslist to brood my chicks for me? Why do I love this hobby when it is clear that it does not? I started with five, and now I have two.

Poor girl. My girls are never going to free range due to the hawks constantly circling and the 5 neighbor dogs barking at them through the fence, and lately a big orange tomcat has been stalking the little ones even when I'm out with them. Everything wants to eat you when your only natural defenses are being dumb and delicious. Their run is basically an aviary, bounded by 4x4 posts and 2x4 supports, 6' tall, and covered completely with 1/2" hardware cloth buried a foot in the ground. It was expensive for materials but at least I know they are safe from anything smaller than a bear. Unless I accidentally leave the egg access door open like a dumbass like I did last week. I came home to a big fat hen sitting in the yard all cranky because she couldn't figure out how to get back in.

Also I would totally brood your chicks if you were nearby! I love having chicks in the house but we can't have any more adult hens. I've thought of brooding chicks just to have them around and then sell as pullets after a few months. It's so sweet to watch them grow and learn how to be chickens. That or get some fertile eggs to stick under my perpetually (seriously cochin, it's been three months, please stop) broody hen. It just seems too risky that no one would buy them or it wouldn't be a good home for them or I would just want to keep them all. Every time I see the brooding lamp in the storage room I think of its wasted potential though.